Xenoblade Chronicles

• Please log in to reply
995 replies to this topic

#121 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

To me, infinite undiscovery gets better later in the game but the last remnant gets worse. TLR's story was terribly cliche (though often expected in a JRPG) and very predictable. The protagonist is an annoying whiny kid. The battles get annoying and repetitive. The side quests involved you returning to a previously explored dungeon but wait, that old dungeon has a new door that wasn't there last time and that new door has a whole new section to explore! Yippee! After doing side quests for a while I had up on them. I felt like they were biring and a huge waste of my time. Google it, there's like a undred hours of really lame and unsatisfying side quests. The equipment system must be one of the worst I've ever seen. You can only equip the main guy. I hope you don't mind using a guide because the only way to upgrade characters is to get them to ASK for the new weapon. Sometimes this isn't a problem but other times this means they have to be in your party when you kill a certain boss then you pray that the item drops and that they actually ask for it. To make matters worse, if you don't understand this system ahead of time you might tell them no thinking that you want to use the weapon. You NEVER want to say no as there is no other way to up upgrade their equipment! I won't even bother with the technical issues as they're well known by now and these dumbass gameplay systems are much more of a problem to me.

By the time I got to the final dungeo I was so tired of the game that I quit playing it without finishing. I eventually FORCED myself to finish since I wanted to get rid of it and I was at the end.

Huh, interesting. I've heard it wasn't that bad. I'd probably still want to try it myself, and I'm only into sidequests if they add something to the game.

#122 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Huh, interesting. I've heard it wasn't that bad. I'd probably still want to try it myself, and I'm only into sidequests if they add something to the game.

By all means give it a try if you can get it cheap. The beginning is pretty fun but it gets worse over time.

#123 veronesepk

veronesepk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

All gone for shipping.

#124 Finger_Shocker

Finger_Shocker

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

If you've got 50 hours to kill, go for it.

So whats that 2 days and a couple hour to some gamer + 10 Monster drink and 4 bags of Cheetos

#125 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I keep repeating myself, but you're missing out on the best RPG I've played in recent memory. Heck, one of the best RPGs I've EVER played (and I've played a lot).

It does so many things right, like doing away with so many of the annoyances of JRPGs. Gawd.. it was just brilliant. I hope there's more like it, but preferably on the Wii U or on some other HD console.

I keep hearing that from people, and that's why I haven't sold my sealed copy yet. Every time I get ready to throw Xenoblade up on eBay I read something like this and I'm convinced to keep it. At this rate I'll probably just end up playing it, even if it is super long to beat. It does look really good.

#126 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

I keep hearing that from people, and that's why I haven't sold my sealed copy yet. Every time I get ready to throw Xenoblade up on eBay I read something like this and I'm convinced to keep it. At this rate I'll probably just end up playing it, even if it is super long to beat. It does look really good.

Why not sell the sealed copy and buy a new one? It will lower the net cost

#127 simmias

simmias

Likely to be eaten by a grue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Lost Odyssey is an alright game. I played it a few years ago and the combat system was not very fun. I liked the story and characters a lot though. It was definitely not your run of the mill JRPG story. If you've got 50 hours to kill, go for it.

Lost Odyssey was so close to being an all-time great. The Thousand Years of Dreams stuff was brilliant, and the characters and story were pretty great. Something was still off about it, though - it's like the final product was less than the sum of its great parts, if that makes sense. Maybe the turn-based combat didn't gel with the rest? I don't know.

It's still one of the best games I've played this generation, though.

I still have my sealed copy of Xenoblade Chronicles waiting to be played. I wish it hadn't come out on the Wii... I hate the damn controls. Maybe it would be better on the Wii U?

#128 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I still have my sealed copy of Xenoblade Chronicles waiting to be played. I wish it hadn't come out on the Wii... I hate the damn controls. Maybe it would be better on the Wii U?

You will have to use the same Wii mote to control the Wii games on the Wii U. Unless there is something I didnt hear about. Im with you though, I would rather use an NES controller to play a game than the Wii mote.

#129 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Lost Odyssey was so close to being an all-time great. The Thousand Years of Dreams stuff was brilliant, and the characters and story were pretty great. Something was still off about it, though - it's like the final product was less than the sum of its great parts, if that makes sense. Maybe the turn-based combat didn't gel with the rest? I don't know.

It's still one of the best games I've played this generation, though.

Encounter rates were way too high. Some of the longer dungeons at the end especially.

#130 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Why not play it with the Classic Controller?
www.bighugenerd.com

#131 Vendetta

Vendetta

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

The Classic Controller Pro works really well for Xenoblade, as does The Last Story. It's mildly annoying that it has to be connected to a Wiimote, but that's a minor complaint.

#132 get_loud

get_loud

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Just got my order delivered and opening it now. Who's taking bets if its sealed or not?

#133 Trojann

Trojann

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

buyandflip
buyandflip
buyandflip

Sums up this thread I just opened mine and enjoyed it when it came out.

#134 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Just got my order delivered and opening it now. Who's taking bets if its sealed or not?

I bet it's sealed.
www.bighugenerd.com

#135 Boss

Boss

Bowser the Great

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Gutted

bossslyfm2.jpg

GameTZ -- TGN -- Ebay

#136 get_loud

get_loud

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Despite having everything (inserts, Nintendo coin code, manual) and an absolutely pristine disc, it was indeed not sealed and had the GS sticker price on the cover. But since I bought it to play it and have been searching for weeks, I'm very satisfied. And a nice bit of karma for those flippers hoping to get extra $$$ for factory sealed copies.

#137 Crazypanda_85

Crazypanda_85

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

I ended up buying this a few weeks before Christmas from the site and was so glad to get a brand new copy (sealed!). It's a very good game (one of the best RPGs released in the US last year) and its a title that will always stay in my collection. It would be awesome if they did a HD remake of it for the Wii U but either way, the game is still beautiful and enjoyable. Since the semester has started (final semester before graduation!) and between doing my internship, school and life in general, I will not be able to dedicate that much time to XBC. Hopefully, when I do get more time, I'll be able to play it with a Pro Controller (plan to grab one soon).

#138 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Despite having everything (inserts, Nintendo coin code, manual) and an absolutely pristine disc, it was indeed not sealed and had the GS sticker price on the cover. But since I bought it to play it and have been searching for weeks, I'm very satisfied. And a nice bit of karma for those flippers hoping to get extra $$$ for factory sealed copies.

I think it's a joke that Gamestop opens copies. Mental.

Either way, enjoy the game. It was a slice of brilliance.
www.bighugenerd.com

#139 Boss

Boss

Bowser the Great

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

I win. >:)

bossslyfm2.jpg

GameTZ -- TGN -- Ebay

#140 watcher0

watcher0

CAGmeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Anyone that's still got a sealed new copy should keep it sealed and buy a play copy. Sealed copies are going for a premium already. This is looking to be a collector classic that may not be reprinted, or remade anytime soon, if ever.
[URL="http://direct2drive.tellapal.com/a/clk/mgkpx"][/URL]

#141 watcher0

watcher0

CAGmeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

Pretty sure the digital market will still be a niche market for a long time...

More then 75% of the world don't even have high speed internet capable of doing downloads like these feasible yet.

Also even in America almost 20 to 25% of americans don't even have access to high speed internet..

So a future of DL games is never ever going to happen

I'd posit that if they can't afford or access broadband that they aren't buying much, if any, new games anyway, so why should gaming companies give a damn about them?
[URL="http://direct2drive.tellapal.com/a/clk/mgkpx"][/URL]

#142 Kazuya

Kazuya

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

Does the Gamestop low stock indicator on the website really mean it's just gutted copies left? The Gamestop near me is so incompetent, I can't trust them to understand my definition of new over the phone.

#143 veronesepk

veronesepk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

Playing Last Story with the classic controller now. Works great - should have bought one of these controllers years ago.

#144 blcklblskt

blcklblskt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

Does the Gamestop low stock indicator on the website really mean it's just gutted copies left? The Gamestop near me is so incompetent, I can't trust them to understand my definition of new over the phone.

Not always. The store I went to had two factory sealed copies in a drawer.

#145 Prison Mike

Prison Mike

Don't Drop The Soap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

My 2 copies I ordered in the morning shipped. One to play and one to keep sealed however that might not be the case since get_loud's new copy was gutted...

#146 ShadowAssassin

ShadowAssassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

Has anyone ever received a gutted copy from Gamestop that was missing a manual or a DLC card or something?

I'm just curious, because they are toeing the line here legally with their gutted copies as it is, but if they are truly "new" like they claim and just stored for display, then they should all come with original inserts. If not, then they have zero leg to stand on if legal action ever progressed on this issue. I know they got in trouble with it before.

#147 Perromalvado

Perromalvado

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

One gutted copy at my store. no way I'm a pay full price for an open copy! Clerk went to get case from racks without even asking me if I was interested in an open box game...........hate GameStop.

#148 DarkPGR

DarkPGR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

not a single copy available within 100 miles... new and used completely sold out :(
Posted ImagePosted Image

#149 Dead_Batteries

Dead_Batteries

Voltaic Pile

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:01 AM

I'm quite shocked at the prices people are charging for Xenoblade on Ebay. I still haven't open mine.

#150 gordo789

gordo789

Freebasing Deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

I'd posit that if they can't afford or access broadband that they aren't buying much, if any, new games anyway, so why should gaming companies give a damn about them?

broadband access is a little more challenging depending on where you live. When I lived "in town" (i.e. 10 miles closer to work) I had access to cable internet, but now that I'm out a little ways all I can get is DSL which is basically worthless for downloading anything. It's not a question of affordability so much as it is a question of availability, and that's a deep issue that is more about ISPs and their unwillingness to upgrade aging/decrepit infrastructure while they continue to price gouge. Hopefully google fiber will get going in more locations and finally spur some competition. That said, I had two gamestops within driving distance (i.e. 10-15 miles) and both of them had a physical copy for me.