Xenoblade Chronicles

• Please log in to reply
995 replies to this topic

#181 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

never did finish RoF stupid random difficulty spikes. oh hey lets toss a level 80 monster against your level 30s. real fun developers heck even level 20s guys can be a pain thanks to their shields and the battle system. got to chapter 8 ran into another uber boss and just stopped caring. and since the only way to back out is to restart at the beginning of chapter 8 which ive had to do a few times in other chapters restart i just cant be bothered to care anymore. maybe if you could have more than 1 save file at a time....

tales i do enjoy tales games but never got into vesperia either i dont know how far i got but its another unfinished game.

xenoblade is good. the story is cliche to no end. and the ending sucks balls and makes 0 sense from any logical point of view. but its overall rather good. the world and battle system and monsters you run into sell this game.

i did buy a sealed copy to keep at launch so idea when i would sell that.

you know im glad im not the only one that thought xenoblade's ending made absolutely no sense. lol! your right my favorite thing about the game was the open world. it was maybe too big.

i need to start lost odyssey. i haven't toched it yet. damn backlog.

#182 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

you know im glad im not the only one that thought xenoblade's ending made absolutely no sense. lol! your right my favorite thing about the game was the open world. it was maybe too big.

How long is the game exactly?

#183 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

yea i tried arguing that sucky ending on gamefaqs people thought i was crazy glad im not the only one too. the ending was so terrible i had to rant about it somewhere.

How long is the game exactly?

xenoblade is easily at a minimum of 60 hours but more like 80 for the main story especially factoring in leveling up enough to tackle the last boss be warned the game tosses a huge difficulty spike towards the very end. i recommend being at least level 80 before you take on the last boss unless you have mastered the game on your first playthrough which is possible depends how good you at rpgs.

this is a bad game to have in the backlog but i enjoyed it its worth it cliche story and bad ending aside.

#184 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

xenoblade is easily at a minimum of 60 hours but more like 80 for the main story especially factoring in leveling up enough to tackle the last boss be warned the game tosses a huge difficulty spike towards the very end. i recommend being at least level 80 before you take on the last boss unless you have mastered the game on your first playthrough which is possible depends how good you at rpgs.

this is a bad game to have in the backlog but i enjoyed it its worth it cliche story and bad ending aside.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably have to hold off on it for a bit. I focus on one game at a time (otherwise I never finish anything) and I've been playign Skyrim since I got it on Black Friday. Excellent game but holy shit it's got a lot of content and I imagine they've got another 1 or 2 big DLC packs coming. After Skyrim I'll probably figure out what some of my shortest games in the backlog are and blow through those to cut down the stack a bit and resell them to get my money back. After I get through everything that's maybe 10-12 hours or less I'll probably go for Xenoblade Chronicles.

#185 nnthomas

nnthomas

meeble meeble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

The ending made tons of sense if you were aware of Takahashi's past credits -- he wrote Xenosaga, Xenogears and now Xenoblade

http://en.wikipedia....tsuya_Takahashi
http://xenoverse.xenotensei.com/

I loved how off the wall the ending was. Based Takahashi <3
Posted Image

#186 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

The ending made tons of sense if you were aware of Takahashi's past credits -- he wrote Xenosaga, Xenogears and now Xenoblade

http://en.wikipedia....tsuya_Takahashi

http://xenoverse.xenotensei.com/

I loved how off the wall the ending was. Based Takahashi <3

i beat the entire xenosaga trilogy and xenoblades ending still made absolutely no sense. lol!

#187 Finger_Shocker

Finger_Shocker

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

and neither do most japanese based media.....

Its not like america where everything there is always a happy and logical ending...

There is never a clear cut endings in japanese type media..

#188 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm playing Lost Odyssey again right now, it's still awesome. I love the skill sharing/learning part of the game, too. Possibly the last great turn-based, non-tactical JRPG ever made.

#189 nnthomas

nnthomas

meeble meeble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

i beat the entire xenosaga trilogy and xenoblades ending still made absolutely no sense. lol!

It's not supposed to make sense, at least, to us... lol

Takahashi does this kind of ethereal / "what is god?" type angle, if you've played Xenogears / Xenosaga. I can understand being thrown off, expecting a resolution, but if you're aware of the writer's prior games, then you're just kinda like "OH YOU~" and just move on.

But the game was awesome even up to the ending, so whatever
Posted Image

#190 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

It's not that hard the ending was basically

Spoiler

steam_sig.png

#191 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

It's not supposed to make sense, at least, to us... lol

Takahashi does this kind of ethereal / "what is god?" type angle, if you've played Xenogears / Xenosaga. I can understand being thrown off, expecting a resolution, but if you're aware of the writer's prior games, then you're just kinda like "OH YOU~" and just move on.

But the game was awesome even up to the ending, so whatever

Wait, is Xenoblade related to Xenosaga? I finished the first Xenosaga but didn't like the 2nd so didn't finish it or the third.

#192 nnthomas

nnthomas

meeble meeble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

No, they aren't related.
Posted Image

#193 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

It's not that hard the ending was basically

Spoiler

to build a world around a story and then completely throw everything away in the last 10 mins makes no sense to me. im glad some got enjoyment out of the ending. i just didn't. i felt like i played 80 hours for nothing. givin it was a fun 80 hours.

#194 theemadgamer

theemadgamer

SILENCE! I keel you!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hmmmm, interesting discussion about the ending. I just picked up the last copy in Michigan so I'll chime in when I finish it, woohoo!

#195 nnthomas

nnthomas

meeble meeble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

to build a world around a story and then completely throw everything away in the last 10 mins makes no sense to me. im glad some got enjoyment out of the ending. i just didn't. i felt like i played 80 hours for nothing. givin it was a fun 80 hours.

The end result is the same anyway even if you cut out that silly scene. You beat the bad guy, everyone lives happily ever after. JRPG finished.
Posted Image

#196 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Obviously, it's all an opinion and interpretation with no real right or wrong, but I feel like thematically it worked for me.
Spoiler

I do feel like the story is more of a 'it's about the journey and not the destination' story and I'm okay with that.

I also pretty much knew early on that the story
Spoiler
was not going to be a standard, straightforward story, at least in terms of the mythos and the rules of that particular universe.

I totally get that endings that seem to come out of the blue can ruin a story for some people, and that's actually how I feel about the ending to (the new) Battlestar Galactica :-P, but in this case I felt like when I went back and thought about everything in Xenoblade even from early on it all seemed planned out and made a certain sense to me. Posted Image

steam_sig.png

#197 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

i feel you on that. the journey was pretty good.

#198 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Wait, is Xenoblade related to Xenosaga? I finished the first Xenosaga but didn't like the 2nd so didn't finish it or the third.

The third one is fantastic, probably one of my favorite RPGs on the PS2. It actually made me appreciate the first two more. I didn't care for the first two all that much. You probably know enough of the story to just skip to the third one (the third one also has a significantly improved database so it's easy to fill in the holes).

But Xenoblade is easily Monolith Soft's best game. I hope they make a sequel, though I don't think that's happening anytime soon since they're working on a new IP for the Wii U.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#199 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

The third one is fantastic, probably one of my favorite RPGs on the PS2. It actually made me appreciate the first two more. I didn't care for the first two all that much. You probably know enough of the story to just skip to the third one (the third one also has a significantly improved database so it's easy to fill in the holes).

But Xenoblade is easily Monolith Soft's best game. I hope they make a sequel, though I don't think that's happening anytime soon since they're working on a new IP for the Wii U.

I got rid of my PS2 and all the games for it.

#200 Flame Killa

Flame Killa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

So I guess this game is supposed to be kind of hard to find? I wanted to get it but was going to wait, but if it's as hard to find as people say then I guess I should just get it now.

#201 get_loud

get_loud

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

I just want to point out that you should first check to see if the game is available in your area before asking if you should get it or if it's hard to find. Save yourself the surprise and hassle first :lol:

#202 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Got mine in the mail today. Classic gutted, unsealed, stickered 'New' copy. Gamestop sucks cocknballz. The game is mint etc - but how is that an okay sales tactic? No wonder I'm an Amazon-snob.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#203 Flame Killa

Flame Killa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I just want to point out that you should first check to see if the game is available in your area before asking if you should get it or if it's hard to find. Save yourself the surprise and hassle first :lol:

It's been in low stock at every GS near me for awhile.

#204 oregon

oregon

CAG Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Got mine in the mail today. Classic gutted, unsealed, stickered 'New' copy. Gamestop sucks cocknballz. The game is mint etc - but how is that an okay sales tactic? No wonder I'm an Amazon-snob.

Youre not a snob to expect a new item... Really i feel this must be illegal. When I go in to store if they offer me a gutted copy, i just say no thanks and leave.

But online......

GameStop online has not sent me a gutted game yet but if they did I would probably call the state attorney general and file a complaint or atleast get details on the legality of such.

#205 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

So I guess this game is supposed to be kind of hard to find? I wanted to get it but was going to wait, but if it's as hard to find as people say then I guess I should just get it now.

Yeah, you should just get it. It's painful for me to pay $50 for a game too. That's why I'm hoping they don't do a reprint, I want to sell it and get my money back after playing it.

Youre not a snob to expect a new item... Really i feel this must be illegal. When I go in to store if they offer me a gutted copy, i just say no thanks and leave.

But online......

GameStop online has not sent me a gutted game yet but if they did I would probably call the state attorney general and file a complaint or atleast get details on the legality of such.

Agreed. This is a big part of the reason so many CAG's hate GS.

#206 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

yea this. not to mention there seems to be no consequence for beating the villian at the end which it seems like there should be. also the mid game twist that occurs cheapens the game greatly. not to mention there seems to be no logic in fighting the guy at the end or for him to be fighting you.
Spoiler

#207 DQT

DQT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'm just offering alternatives to paying ebay prices for this game.

Yeah, those can be frustrating but when you get them it feels so rewarding. Also, it's a little slow to begin with. It doesn't really start hitting it's stride until you meet the full cast. You don't even unlock the full battle system until hours and hours in.

I'm at the end. That's why i'm mentioning all the missed quests.

On the the whole GS gutting thing, I have to say i don't mind owning used games really, but I do think it is dumb that because of said gutting, the condition of the new game is essentially the same as the used, but we're paying the new game price. It's ridiculous.

#208 kingtopher

kingtopher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Agreed. This is the first thing I've bought at Gamestop in a couple of years, and then it was a couple of used games and it had been a few years since I'd been in before that. Pretty much the only way they'll ever get me in there again is to have another exclusive game like this that I really want. My copy from the store was a pre-opened "new" game as well.

I guess to play devil's advocate I was buying it so that I could open it up and play it, but it's still kind of annoying.

#209 xskaxninjax

xskaxninjax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I never buy gutted games from Gamestop either simply for a personal preference, but I can understand the argument. The game itself has never been played, despite the fact the packaging has been opened. Of course, to most picky people the packaging is what matters, but in Gamestop's legal terms the game itself is NEW in that it's never been played.

I kindof think of it as a similar circumstance with automobiles. The dealership is selling you what's listed as a NEW vehicle, but there are likely miles on it from being test driven and you really have no idea how many people have sat in the driver's seat.

#210 excellen

excellen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

I never buy gutted games from Gamestop either simply for a personal preference, but I can understand the argument. The game itself has never been played, despite the fact the packaging has been opened. Of course, to most picky people the packaging is what matters, but in Gamestop's legal terms the game itself is NEW in that it's never been played.

I kindof think of it as a similar circumstance with automobiles. The dealership is selling you what's listed as a NEW vehicle, but there are likely miles on it from being test driven and you really have no idea how many people have sat in the driver's seat.

I was under the impression that GS employees were allowed to "rent" gutted copies to play for free as an employee benefit. Or at least it was this way 4 or 5 years ago the last time I stepped into a GS.