Xenoblade Chronicles

• Please log in to reply
995 replies to this topic

#211 Taneerian

Taneerian

Roll Dem Bones!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

I was under the impression that GS employees were allowed to "rent" gutted copies to play for free as an employee benefit. Or at least it was this way 4 or 5 years ago the last time I stepped into a GS.

This was my impression as well. I'm pretty sure they are still allowed to do that.
gallery_237099_8237_20619.png

#212 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

I was under the impression that GS employees were allowed to "rent" gutted copies to play for free as an employee benefit. Or at least it was this way 4 or 5 years ago the last time I stepped into a GS.

I've had employees tell me that they do it with used games all the time but none admit to doing this with new copies. That's technically illegal, because then the game would be used and therefore, would have to be sold as used. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't do it since it would be impossible to prove. And I don't think GS has a policy against this or anything.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#213 Josef

Josef

Touched the dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

I never buy gutted games from Gamestop either simply for a personal preference, but I can understand the argument. The game itself has never been played, despite the fact the packaging has been opened. Of course, to most picky people the packaging is what matters, but in Gamestop's legal terms the game itself is NEW in that it's never been played.

I kindof think of it as a similar circumstance with automobiles. The dealership is selling you what's listed as a NEW vehicle, but there are likely miles on it from being test driven and you really have no idea how many people have sat in the driver's seat.

I don't think comparing them (the selling of new automobiles to the selling of new games) is an appropriate comparison. New automobiles don't come shrink wrapped in plastic.

A more valid comparison would be the selling of new DVD's, CD's and Blu-Rays. When is the last time you saw a store sell an open media item of this type as new?

#214 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not a policy from corporate to break the seals and 'test drive' the games. Not an official one anyway.

However, there was that incident where Gamestop went in and fished out the Onlive vouchers from boxes in the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. And that came from the top down.

When the shit really hit the fan and got out to the press they ended up giving everyone $50 vouchers to shut them up.

You'd think after all that they would be more sensitive to opening packaging of new games and still selling it, but apparently not.

steam_sig.png

#215 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

I've had employees tell me that they do it with used games all the time but none admit to doing this with new copies. That's technically illegal, because then the game would be used and therefore, would have to be sold as used. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't do it since it would be impossible to prove. And I don't think GS has a policy against this or anything.

The problem here is that they claim these games are new. Even if the employees don't play them, the packaging is opened and by most standards, this is USED. If its not factory sealed, you can't list it as new on eBay. Only GameStop would consider this new. An automobile's value decreases as it ages and as more miles are put into it. A durable good like a used car, washing machine, etc are not like a video game.

#216 johnoralex

johnoralex

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

My brother used to work at gamestop and I can say without a doubt that he "rented" out both new and used games... They have to make sure they don't damage anything. Needless to say I don't buy gutted from gamestop.

#217 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

My brother used to work at gamestop and I can say without a doubt that he "rented" out both new and used games... They have to make sure they don't damage anything. Needless to say I don't buy gutted from gamestop.

My point is, by everyone's standards OTHER THAN GAMESTOP'S, if the shrink wrap is off then its used. It doesn't matter if its been played by an employee or not. The game is used. That's the reason people don't like them.

#218 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

My point is, by everyone's standards OTHER THAN GAMESTOP'S, if the shrink wrap is off then its used. It doesn't matter if its been played by an employee or not. The game is used. That's the reason people don't like them.

Well with that settled, I guess the topic doesn't need to be debated on this site ever again.
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#219 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Well with that settled, I guess the topic doesn't need to be debated on this site ever again.

Is it actually a debate? I thought it was just people bitching about it.

#220 Firefox59

Firefox59

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I never buy gutted games from Gamestop either simply for a personal preference, but I can understand the argument. The game itself has never been played, despite the fact the packaging has been opened. Of course, to most picky people the packaging is what matters, but in Gamestop's legal terms the game itself is NEW in that it's never been played.

I kindof think of it as a similar circumstance with automobiles. The dealership is selling you what's listed as a NEW vehicle, but there are likely miles on it from being test driven and you really have no idea how many people have sat in the driver's seat.

Wait. So why the hell would they open the games if they don't play them? I don't think it's picky. It's unreasonable to think that the games have been opened and then not been used.

#221 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Apparently there's one dude who thinks because cars are test driven before being sold and not shrink wrapped, that this is an okay practice for a game store to be doing too.

steam_sig.png

#222 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Wait. So why the hell would they open the games if they don't play them? I don't think it's picky. It's unreasonable to think that the games have been opened and then not been used.

Because they stick them on the shelves and people would steal them from the boxes. They should set up "plastic prisons" like Target.

#223 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR- suplexrepeat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

I challenge anyone to find another retail outlet that sells floor copies of any product as new. PROTIP: they don't. As far as games go, there's a little thing called "open box discount" that evey other retailer uses, if they sell opened copies at all.

uc.png

#224 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

I challenge anyone to find another retail outlet that sells floor copies of any product as new. PROTIP: they don't. As far as games go, there's a little thing called "open box discount" that evey other retailer uses, if they sell opened copies at all.

Agreed. TV's and such have display/floor discounts at stores also.

#225 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

You are correct.
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#226 aramsey1986

aramsey1986

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I am all with you man! its BS!
Posted Image

#227 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Posted Image
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#228 Japakneez

Japakneez

You are big foo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

As usual, none of the whiners will do anything about it.

#229 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

As usual, none of the whiners will do anything about it.

Not a lot you can do. This is the only place to buy this particular game.

#230 ShadowAssassin

ShadowAssassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Simply not playing the game is not the best criteria for considering a game new. They can get their greasy little finger prints all over it, drop the game and get it scratched, sneeze on it, spill coffee on it, but as long as it has never been inserted into a video game system, then it is still new?

Going by that criteria, that logic must apply.

#231 Byakurai

Byakurai

CAG Busta

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Simply not playing the game is not the best criteria for considering a game new. They can get their greasy little finger prints all over it, drop the game and get it scratched, sneeze on it, spill coffee on it, but as long as it has never been inserted into a video game system, then it is still new?

Going by that criteria, that logic must apply.

It gets kind of hazy since GameStop policy does let employees rent and try out games. The shadier locations will try out a new release and still try to sell it as new.

#232 shouamabane

shouamabane

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

My "new" copy was the display model. It's the first time I've bought anything at that place in a long time.

#233 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

It gets kind of hazy since GameStop policy does let employees rent and try out games.

Is that still their policy? I remember reading somewhere that the company has since put an end to that practice. Perhaps I'm wrong on that.

#234 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

I don't think comparing them (the selling of new automobiles to the selling of new games) is an appropriate comparison. New automobiles don't come shrink wrapped in plastic.

A more valid comparison would be the selling of new DVD's, CD's and Blu-Rays. When is the last time you saw a store sell an open media item of this type as new?

The difference with a car is that I can see on the odometer how "new" it is or isn't... there's no way for me to tell how much a GS game was "test-driven" before I got there to buy it.

#235 R3DH3R0

R3DH3R0

10 Years and Counting

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

The difference with the cars is that I can see on the odometer how "new" it is or isn't... there's no way for me to tell how much the GS games were "test-driven" before I got there to buy it.

Fingerprints, dust, smudges.

#236 AionTelos

AionTelos

is PLUS ONE PIG!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Fingerprints, dust, smudges.

Psh, my disc has an odometer on it.

#237 tingram83

tingram83

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Gamestop should either get an extra display copy or offer the last copy at a cheaper open box price. I bought the last new copy of Xeno at a local gamestop and it had about 6 or 7 finger prints on it. Seems like if they are going to open it atleast hold it by the sides. Granted my wife had a cloth for cleaning photos lenses and it cleaned up great. But, who knows if someone took it home to play it. I'm sure it happens all the time. Plus the sealed ones sell for about $10 more on Amazon.

#238 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Is that still their policy? I remember reading somewhere that the company has since put an end to that practice. Perhaps I'm wrong on that.

Nope it still goes on.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#239 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

Depends on the location. I worked at a store like 2 years ago, could literally check out ANY game, whether it just released that day or not. The last store I worked at last year would only let you check out used games or things that had been out a few weeks

It was still pretty shady though. Some of the employees even redeemed one time use codes that were in the game cases they checked out, didn't even get in trouble
Posted ImagePosted Image

#240 ShadowAssassin

ShadowAssassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

I don't get why they can't just use generic DVD cases print out the covers for display and use them in store. Gutting copies for display is such an absolute waste. Or just use generic cards to put on the shelves. Kinda like those Best Buy pre-order cards, except they are post-release and for shelves.