Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time Pre-Order $40 @GameStop

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Weird...can't think of the last AAA franchise that was priced like a Barbie game at msrp[/QUOTE]
To be fair, the gameplay hasn't changed much from Sly 3.

[quote name='panda911']Hope the price doesn't speak to the quality of the game.[/QUOTE]

if you have seen the gameplay vids than you know that sony is taking care of this game. not to mention its not like this promo is at every retailer. im taking advantage of this pre order deal for sure !

So ummm, those of us pre-ordered from Newegg with the $12 off coupon code, what will happend then? It's listed as $59.99, with the $12 off, it's $47.99...

[quote name='Serpentor']So ummm, those of us pre-ordered from Newegg with the $12 off coupon code, what will happend then? It's listed as $59.99, with the $12 off, it's $47.99...[/QUOTE]
Over pay ;)

[quote name='Serpentor']So ummm, those of us pre-ordered from Newegg with the $12 off coupon code, what will happend then? It's listed as $59.99, with the $12 off, it's $47.99...[/QUOTE]

Once the change the price, you could try getting $12 off the $39.99, if you think it's worth the trouble, that is.

Well I pre-ordered and paid it off fully with them. Guess I either gotta get them to refund me the difference, or cancel and pre-order again. Damn it.

Yes.

I was thinking of getting this, but I still haven't played through the Sly Collection. Good to know it'll be even cheaper when I go to buy it then.

This now became a no brainer day one purchase for me.

Was going to hold out, but probably don't have the CAGness in me at this price point for what should be a AAA title on release day.

I support.

I bet Gargus is secretly watching this thread, pissed off and wanting to call out the OP for posting an MSRP deal.

I love how people always complain about a $60 MSRP but when a game releases under the usual $60 MSRP, they're worried it's going to suck.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I love how people always complain about a $60 MSRP but when a game releases under the usual $60 MSRP, they're worried it's going to suck.[/QUOTE]

When was the last time a major franchise returned with a budget price point? There's reason to be skeptical when you think about what titles this gen have launched at sub MSRP price

With big names like Dead Space and Metal Gear coming out in February, a game like Sly needs an edge, so the lower price point isn't really that strange.

Of course, there's always a chance that the game just doesn't have the content that a fully priced retail game should have. Then again, neither do a lot of $60 games.

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Why do people think because a new release starts off below the normal $60 price point it must suck somehow?

[/QUOTE]

It's such a double edged sword for them. A lot of people will always be convinced that a game selling for $40 at release is somehow lower quality than the games that go from $60 to $40 in the first couple months.

Doesn't matter to some that Sony is planning on the lower price point (plus Cross Buy) to help them push a greater number of units out the door fast and increase revenue through volume.

KrebStar is absolutely right in pointing out that a large number of games we get these days are not worth the full $60 price tag.

Expect this trend of games selling at prices other than the usual MSRP of $60 at launch to continue....when Activision announces that the next Call of Duty game will be $80.

Edit: Wrong about my favorite game's price point at release. Was thinking about another game's release. The mystery continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gamer4life88']Why do people think because a new release starts off below the normal $60 price point it must suck somehow? [/QUOTE]
Because traditionally, that's exactly what it has meant. It doesn't help that Sony just pulled this with FFA, a game of dubious quality.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I love how people always complain about a $60 MSRP but when a game releases under the usual $60 MSRP, they're worried it's going to suck.[/QUOTE]
Put me in the camp that thinks 60 as msrp is reasonable for most and incredibly low for some games. The $60 price point has barely kept up with inflation.

after playing the demo, this game literally feels like a ps2 game with all new graphics. there is nothing "next gen", or hell, even "current gen", about this game. I wouldn't pay more than 20$ for most ps2 games that I still want, and I wont pay any higher for this game either. The game is a great love letter to a series the devs clearly enjoyed very much. But without changing near anything in the gameplay department, they really shouldn't be asking for any more than 30$ at the most, and that's only because it's cross-buy.

[quote name='taylort3']after playing the demo, this game literally feels like a ps2 game with all new graphics. there is nothing "next gen", or hell, even "current gen", about this game. I wouldn't pay more than 20$ for most ps2 games that I still want, and I wont pay any higher for this game either. The game is a great love letter to a series the devs clearly enjoyed very much. But without changing near anything in the gameplay department, they really shouldn't be asking for any more than 30$ at the most, and that's only because it's cross-buy.[/QUOTE]

Uhh, isn't that pretty much what this gen is? games with just better graphics?

[quote name='strait edge follower']if you have seen the gameplay vids than you know that sony is taking care of this game. not to mention its not like this promo is at every retailer. im taking advantage of this pre order deal for sure ![/QUOTE]

Slightly off topic but why the hell does the demo of this game from the R&C collection not have any sound? I know it's not a headphone issue as I played the Ni No Kuni demo and hear all the XMB sounds fine but no matter how many times I rebooted the demo it never had sound.

[quote name='taylort3']after playing the demo, this game literally feels like a ps2 game with all new graphics. there is nothing "next gen", or hell, even "current gen", about this game. I wouldn't pay more than 20$ for most ps2 games that I still want, and I wont pay any higher for this game either. The game is a great love letter to a series the devs clearly enjoyed very much. But without changing near anything in the gameplay department, they really shouldn't be asking for any more than 30$ at the most, and that's only because it's cross-buy.[/QUOTE]

And we all know that if they changed the gameplay in any way, shape, or form that you would complain.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Slightly off topic but why the hell does the demo of this game from the R&C collection not have any sound? I know it's not a headphone issue as I played the Ni No Kuni demo and hear all the XMB sounds fine but no matter how many times I rebooted the demo it never had sound.[/QUOTE]

It does have sound. You got a bad download.

Love the way Gamestop takes full advantage of it like they got a great sale going on instead of putting the proper msrp on the site. lol

[quote name='GILiveRadio']Noticed this on the GameStop deals page. Comes with vita cross buy code. Amazon still has this listed for ~$60.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/sly-cooper-thieves-in-time/91462

Looked on the forum and didn't see this posted. Apologies if this is already posted.[/QUOTE]

FYI Cross buy games dont come with a code the disk is bound to your account however once it bound the PS3 game can still be played on another account. Its wierd how sony did it and I am still not quite sure how it really works.

[quote name='z3razerviper']FYI Cross buy games dont come with a code the disk is bound to your account however once it bound the PS3 game can still be played on another account. Its wierd how sony did it and I am still not quite sure how it really works.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure the application has some sort of code (similar to Qore) and when you sync it with your account, it redeems the code.

[quote name='Not Eric']Of course I'm also a little biased because my favorite game this generation was also a $40 at release title. And KrebStar is absolutely right in pointing out that a large number of games we get these days are not worth the full $60 price tag.[/QUOTE]

Are you going to leave us hanging all night? I'm racking my brain trying to think of other $40 release MSRP games...

[quote name='sgaldis']Are you going to leave us hanging all night? I'm racking my brain trying to think of other $40 release MSRP games...[/QUOTE]

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed comes to mind, and it was awesome.

The Sly games weren't exactly pushing the PS2 to it's limit anyway. It's a stealth based action platformer. 2 and 3 had already refined that niche to just about it's purest form. As far as I'm concerned, the less they change, the less they can screw it up. Like when 3 took out the Clue Bottles, because seriously that was stupid.

I WILL be buying Sly 4, and the lower the starting price, the quicker I can get it for the price my cheapassness wants.

Anyone else think the lower retail price point might just be to help them sell digital versions at a more reasonable price point that would entice more buyers? I think Sony would like to go all-digital (which is probably significantly more profitable) like Steam, but retail is still strong enough and important enough that Sony has to maintain similar digital pricing so it doesn't tick off retailers. This pricing allows them to sell their games digitally at a price point people won't mind as much and be a little more interested in paying.

[quote name='WNYX585AM']Anyone else think the lower retail price point might just be to help them sell digital versions at a more reasonable price point that would entice more buyers? I think Sony would like to go all-digital (which is probably significantly more profitable) like Steam, but retail is still strong enough and important enough that Sony has to maintain similar digital pricing so it doesn't tick off retailers. This pricing allows them to sell their games digitally at a price point people won't mind as much and be a little more interested in paying.[/QUOTE]

Cristian Cardona, Associate Product Marketing Manager of Software Marketing at SCEA:

What is the reason for the price cut?

We want to make it a no-brainer purchase!

Is the price drop because of the length of the game? Or is it to get as many new Sly fans as possible?

As many fans as possible. Believe me, it’s not going to be any less of a Sly experience!

Does the $39.99 price tag mean it will have less content?

Nope. That’s your assumption – truth is, there’s PLENTY PLENTY. Price doesn’t always equal quality or content.

$39.99? Does that mean you have low confidence in the sales?

It’s a competitive market right now! We want to make sure this is a purchase you don’t have to think twice about. It’s gonna be a great game and we want to make sure as many people as possible can enjoy it =)

I wish more games would launch at a lower price point. It doesn't make any sense for every game to come out at $60. In fact, very few deserve that price IMO.

I loved the Sly games so $40 for the PS3 and Vita versions has my attention.

It'll be cool if Newegg did the pre-order promo again, getting this at $29.99 would be a freakin steal!

I'll probably buy it anyway just to support this kind of game

damn, tempting, especially since its cross-buy. But considering I only got 5 minutes into part 1 on the HD collection (never played the OG's) I may just have to wait...wonder if other places will follow suit with the price? This clearly doesn't look like a mistake on GS's part b/c they clearly have $59.99 marked thru on the site.

Weren't there some AAA games being released towards the end of last generation at a lower MSRP? Maybe it's the same case here? Not sure if it would apply though. If I remember right it was when new releases started coming in fewer numbers, and although this gen is coming to its end, it sure doesn't feel like it with all the big name titles being released. Also, this is totally off topic, but seeing as how this gen is almost over, I've pretty much given up hope on seeing Kingdom Hearts 3 until next gen :(

bread's done
Back