Photo
- - - - -

Tera is going F2P in Feburary. Free reactivation for Founders.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

A free kitty mount for which game?

Tera

#32 barrit

barrit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hm, the backwards code thing didn't work for me. I have the CE that I bought a few months back. I vaguely remember reading in an article that it is only suppose to work on newer physical copies of the game. That probably explains why I never tried it until now.

#33 diishen

diishen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

If I can only pick one MMO to play, which would you guys recommend - Tera, SWtOR, or GW2? Which one has the most to do after you hit the level cap?

I'm out of the loop on MMOs since I quit WoW 3 years ago. Now that there's so many f2p options, I would really appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

#34 Reraise

Reraise

No Sale, No Buy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

If I can only pick one MMO to play, which would you guys recommend - Tera, SWtOR, or GW2? Which one has the most to do after you hit the level cap?

I'm out of the loop on MMOs since I quit WoW 3 years ago. Now that there's so many f2p options, I would really appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

SWTOR sucks majorly. Its more single player than mmo as most story quests you need to do alone as credit isnt shared. I had all but one of the classes maxed level within the first 2 months. Theres little to do after cap (even less if you F2P as pvp is restricted).

GW2 was fun for a while, but is very frustrating to play. Once you hit level 30, game becomes boring as hell.

Tera i just started today, seems ok so far. From general consensus it falls off hard and becomes stale. Combat system is awesome though.

Id try SWTOR now as its free, then tera when thats free next month, before buying GW2

#35 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Thanks in advance!

unless i am wrong here, but guild wars 2 is not actually f2p, you have to purchase the game, whether digitally or a physical copy in order to play it. THe only thing free about guild wars 2 is the free online gamplay, without the need for monthly subscriptions.

#36 Link2999

Link2999

Demon Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm seeing $20 a lot of places. Anywhere I can do better than that?

Also, if someone wants to pick up the Collector's Edition, I'd do $20 for that code most likely. You can keep the non-digital goodies.

#37 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Thanks in advance!

The Secret World is also F2P. It's fun-ish but the combat is boring. And the lack of traditional levels might frustrate you (like it did me) but the setting is fresh and the puzzle quests are a great change of pace.

Tera is fun as hell to play. The story is boring and generic but it's the most open of the F2P games. If it drops to $5-$10 soon you should get it just in case that way you can get all the bonuses.

SWtOR is has the best storytelling in any MMO. You really feel drawn in. However, the F2P version is very limited and the end game doesn't really exist. But it's IMO a great ride getting to the end.

GW2 while being non-sub still requires an upfront purchase. So, if that bothers you just wait for a sale. It's fun but the community has already started to dwindle down which makes zone quests a harder to trigger.

My advice would be try out SWtOR for now and when this goes free you should be done playing through your SW character so end game won't be an issue.

#38 diishen

diishen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

The Secret World is also F2P. It's fun-ish but the combat is boring. And the lack of traditional levels might frustrate you (like it did me) but the setting is fresh and the puzzle quests are a great change of pace.

Tera is fun as hell to play. The story is boring and generic but it's the most open of the F2P games. If it drops to $5-$10 soon you should get it just in case that way you can get all the bonuses.

SWtOR is has the best storytelling in any MMO. You really feel drawn in. However, the F2P version is very limited and the end game doesn't really exist. But it's IMO a great ride getting to the end.

GW2 while being non-sub still requires an upfront purchase. So, if that bothers you just wait for a sale. It's fun but the community has already started to dwindle down which makes zone quests a harder to trigger.

My advice would be try out SWtOR for now and when this goes free you should be done playing through your SW character so end game won't be an issue.

Thank you very much for your insight, I'll take your advice! :applause:

#39 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Well, The Secret World is actually a buy-once, then F2P hybrid model.

Personally, I'd recommend Lord of the Rings Online over any of these.

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#40 fortunado

fortunado

Mathematical!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Is this real? It might almost be worth picking up just to do this. FWIW, the GameStop price for the CE is only $10 more than the regular edition.

It's called the Tawny Huntress Pack. I verified it does not use up the game key either. It must be an UNUSED retail box game key to qualify for getting the Tawny Pack when typed in backwards. I had a copy and verified it does indeed still work as of about 2 weeks ago.

http://tera.enmasse....t-an-epic-mount

Well, The Secret World is actually a buy-once, then F2P hybrid model.

Personally, I'd recommend Lord of the Rings Online over any of these.

I think they're actually going full-blown F2P here pretty soon. I got a key for around $10 before the end of the year though for the bonuses in case I start playing it.

ach.png

#41 DeathDream

DeathDream

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Im the same. If i sub a game, i feel every free minute needs to be spent on it. I know thats a stupid thing to think, but i cant help it. With f2p, i can take months off and not feel like i wasted anything.

That is not a stupid thing to think at all. You paid for that time and you feel like you need to use it. It is just like vacation time at work, some companies don't let you carry it over to the new year. You don't want to not use it! This is the main reason I will never play a subscription based game. But then again, on F2P games with micro transactions, I've never once paid for an item in those games either. I'm a cheap ass gamer :)

#42 Isurus

Isurus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

unless i am wrong here, but guild wars 2 is not actually f2p, you have to purchase the game, whether digitally or a physical copy in order to play it. THe only thing free about guild wars 2 is the free online gamplay, without the need for monthly subscriptions.

Not sure if troll or just stupid

#43 silver001

silver001

silvermember

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Not sure if troll or just stupid

the only thing wrong with he said was not using the proper term b2p. Other than that he pretty much described the payment model for gw2.

So the question is, are YOU a troll or just a D-bag?

#44 ozdarkhorse

ozdarkhorse

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

lol

#45 woodcan

woodcan

TX Regional CAG VP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

So, if I went out and bought the game today what would that give me? Does it include a free month "subscription"? Do I have to also put in a credit card in order to activate and use that free month?
Spoiler

#46 Erabiont

Erabiont

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

So, if I went out and bought the game today what would that give me? Does it include a free month "subscription"? Do I have to also put in a credit card in order to activate and use that free month?

When I activated my digital code it didn't ask me for a credit card, and it gave me 1 month of game time; I was able to start playing immediately. Also, when the game goes f2p, you get access to a "Founder" title, a mount, and 8 character slots (instead of 2).

http://tera.enmasse....ontent-for-free

t3hchucknoris.png

#47 Jommy

Jommy

Cool Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I still have two sealed vanilla copies of Tera. I've already registered the 30 day code from another vanilla as well as a CE version of it. Should I keep the 30 day codes from these to use after it goes F2P or is there no point?

#48 killatheii

killatheii

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Is tera going to be completely F2P or is it that I will still need to buy a copy of the game but do not have to pay for subscription anymore?

#49 jediyoshi

jediyoshi

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Is tera going to be completely F2P or is it that I will still need to buy a copy of the game but do not have to pay for subscription anymore?

Completely free. You can start playing right now with the 'Discovery Edition'/trial version. Your character will just transition into the f2p when it launches.

#50 killatheii

killatheii

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the info and the quick reply!

#51 silver001

silver001

silvermember

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

I still have two sealed vanilla copies of Tera. I've already registered the 30 day code from another vanilla as well as a CE version of it. Should I keep the 30 day codes from these to use after it goes F2P or is there no point?

honestly, there is no apparent reason to keep those codes.

#52 fortunado

fortunado

Mathematical!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

honestly, there is no apparent reason to keep those codes.

Type them in backwards and get a free kitty mount (as stated before). Only redeemable on one character (per code).

ach.png

#53 silver001

silver001

silvermember

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

Type them in backwards and get a free kitty mount (as stated before). Only redeemable on one character (per code).

Not all of them, just recent codes from walmart, best, amazon and target and they have to had been from after december 12.

#54 fortunado

fortunado

Mathematical!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

Not all of them, just recent codes from walmart, best, amazon and target and they have to had been from after december 12.

It just has to be an unused code. I had one from Best Buy that was sitting in my closet for months - since probably August or September. I punched it in backwards and it worked.

ach.png

#55 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hmm, I just purchased from Amazon and tried entering the code in backwards on my Tera account page in the 'enter code' field and it just says invalid code. I double checked to make sure I entered it correctly.

Edit: Ahhh, from their support page,
"Can I get these gifts for a digital purchase?

These gifts are only redeemable from physical box purchases."

Also, looks like you can enter teratweets! for a free Firecracker, according to their twitter page on your account page 'enter code' button.

#56 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

I downloaded the trial version and It's free to play for 10 days but they just added another 7 days to play for free. So if you don't want to pay a dime things still look good for that route considering it will be Feb by then. Just wonder what day in Feb will this truly become free to play.

Is Rift he last great MMO from recent years to not go free to play? Heard many good things about it.

#57 Sinfulfate

Sinfulfate

The Podfather

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

Anyone start playing this? Im waiting for the download to finish but could use some players to play with once its done.

524190.png

#58 Mizz Behavin

Mizz Behavin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

I am loving the game. I started playing a few days ago. It is fun. The founders benefits ( and elite benefits for a month ) come in handy.

If you don't mind playing with a crazy female gamer, drop me a Private message on here. I can give you the servers that I am currently on as well as my character names. :)

#59 Link2999

Link2999

Demon Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

Game is pretty fun so far. All of the monster models are A LOT more menacing than what you can find in WoW. Very well done too. I'm still getting used to Left/Right Click for Attack/Roll as opposed to Camera/Interact. I do prefer WoW controls so far, but it may just be because I've been playing the game longer. I wish I waited to make a character though. Level 11-12 right now and that took maybe 3 hours or so. Not that bad, but I don't really want it to be for nothing. I would have waited in order to join the new server. It gets very laggy on the High-Population ones. Considering starting over still. You have to be level 40+ to transfer.