Photo
* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14964 replies to this topic

#5101 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Yes I did, and refer to these two threads for why there was such a large update.

http://forum.paradox...al-preparation

http://forum.paradox...ntion-Articles

IF I read it correctly, aside from the minor changes there is going to be a new version of war of the roses released as Kingmaker edition, a free upgrade for all those that own the game that includes new maps and Assault and Assault Gate modes. There will be a free trial of the game and in preperation of that this patch puts that in place. The edition should release at the end of March. And there will be a Brian Blessed voice over premium DLC for $4.99 sometime this month. That is all paraphrasing and off memory but if you read those you will get more detailed information. Hope that helps and I'm pretty excited the new stuff looks like it will help the longevity of the game.

EDIT refer to this article. http://www.digitalsp...-roses-dlc.html

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Glad I bought and redeemed it before this whole Kingmaker upgrade/trial has been set in order.

Nice that they reduced pole arm thrust damage too (or maybe a lot more than just that...). I only played the game for 30 minutes or so, and too many times did I get instakilled by a pole arm thrust.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#5102 r9800pro

r9800pro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

Do you think you can actually install games to it? Not sure if it'd be too slow since I've never used an external drive for gaming. My SSD is too small for games like Guild Wars 2.

NO, don't do that !

External HDDs are not reliable for the continuous access games require when playing. I've got 2x 2.0TB HDDs gone bad for that reason, one WD and one Seagate.
External HDDs are only good for backups or data that would not require heavy access. For games, internal HDDs are the best.

fs_pc.png

#5103 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

NO, don't do that !

External HDDs are not reliable for the continuous access games require when playing. I've got 2x 2.0TB HDDs gone bad for that reason, one WD and one Seagate.
External HDDs are only good for backups or data that would not require heavy access. For games, internal HDDs are the best.

Would there honestly be a notable performance loss with an external installed game running through a 3.0 port though?

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#5104 darkling23

darkling23

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

Would there honestly be a notable performance loss with an external installed game running through a 3.0 port though?

Yeah. USB 3.0 still has a lot of overhead. http://images.techtr...sfer-speeds.jpg

#5105 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Yeah. USB 3.0 still has a lot of overhead. http://images.techtr...sfer-speeds.jpg

But would that equate to noticeably slow loading times and performance in games? It doesn't look like it from that chart, but I'm not a whiz about this stuff.

bZ2g3eF.png

#5106 r9800pro

r9800pro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

No, games would run fine and loading times are the same as with any internal SATA drive. The problem as I said is not performance, but external drives's life span.

fs_pc.png

#5107 at8mistakes

at8mistakes

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

No, games would run fine and loading times are the same as with any internal SATA drive. The problem as I said is not performance, but external drives's life span.

There isn't any difference between an internal and external drive of the same kind. When a local Best Buy and Frys were having a price war, then had a pricing mistake, I bought and popped open several WD green mybooks and installed them internally. They were identical to the WD-green drive I was already using for storage. All of them have been running great for just over 2 years *knock on wood.*

However, most external drives are meant to be low-use storage drives, so using them as a primary or high-use will cause them to fail faster than normal, but that's no different than using any other storage drive.

edit: I will say that external drives do not cool down well in their cheap cases, and the large heat build up will cause it to fail much faster if you're running games off of it.

Edited by at8mistakes, 02 February 2013 - 01:27 AM.

#5108 puffy

puffy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

I bought and popped open several WD green mybooks and installed them internally. They were identical to the WD-green drive I was already using for storage.

However, most external drives are meant to be low-use storage drives, so using them as a primary or high-use will cause them to fail faster than normal, but that's no different than using any other storage drive.

edit: I will say that external drives do not cool down well in their cheap cases, and the large heat build up will cause it to fail much faster if you're running games off of it.

this
and 5400 rpm =slow ,even if usb 3 interface speed is in theory up to it
greens are for storage only, they lack perfomance
they also stop after few minutes of inactivity in order to save energy, so frequent use means more start/stop circles=higher possibility of mechanical failure
and usb, come on get serious:fridge:

Edited by puffy, 02 February 2013 - 01:47 AM.

#5109 r9800pro

r9800pro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

There isn't any difference between an internal and external drive of the same kind. When a local Best Buy and Frys were having a price war, then had a pricing mistake, I bought and popped open several WD green mybooks and installed them internally. They were identical to the WD-green drive I was already using for storage. All of them have been running great for just over 2 years *knock on wood.*

Exactly.
My second external drive that died was a Seagate (RMA's it few days ago) and indeed temps were very high and it would take a long time to cool down. I never noticed this untill the drive made some long beeps (very good feature). High temps caused some bad sectors and that's why I RMA'd it.
My first external HDD was a WD and it failed without a warning.
Both drives were used for games and this was the cause of the issues.

SSDs are great for games. Blazing fast loading times and installations, but don't know how reliable they are for high usage. Also he current spaces of SSDs are way too low for the number and sizes of games we buy thanks to Tony's Amazon deals :D

fs_pc.png

#5110 at8mistakes

at8mistakes

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

Exactly.
My second external drive that died was a Seagate (RMA's it few days ago) and indeed temps were very high and it would take a long time to cool down. I never noticed this untill the drive made some long beeps (very good feature). High temps caused some bad sectors and that's why I RMA'd it.
My first external HDD was a WD and it failed without a warning.
Both drives were used for games and this was the cause of the issues.

SSDs are great for games. Blazing fast loading times and installations, but don't know how reliable they are for high usage. Also he current spaces of SSDs are way too low for the number and sizes of games we buy thanks to Tony's Amazon deals :D

If you're ever using a low-end storage drive again for gaming, pop it out of it's case and install it like a normal drive. It's not going to win you any speed-awards, but the increased air flow and cooling will help it last much longer.

SSD drives do have a write-limit, but it's not something the average user needs to worry about. By the time you hit the limit the drive will be several years old and need replacing anyway. Not all games will get a benefit from a SSD though, so I wouldn't recommend it for most games either. It's great for booting up and programs though.

#5111 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

usb, come on get serious:fridge:

I use a USB 3.0 PCI-E, and it has firmware updates about once per month. I've seen a gradual increase in overall drive performance as I've upgraded the firmware and drivers over the past year.

When I first bought my external 3.0 drive, I used it for FRAPS recording, which is quite intense when you're recording low-compression 1080p video (think 1 gig or more per minute). Not only does the drive handle this with aplomb, it's virtually silent when doing so.

So, while I can't speak for all uses, I'd say USB 3.0, with the right hardware and proper updates, is definitely a viable option for *some* games. I don't use it for that purpose, but, hey, if you can run Dragon Age on NAS over a high-thoroughput network, then I don't see why USB 3.0 would be a problem.

#5112 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

Well, I ask because I play on a laptop. I could swap out the optical drive for a third drive, but it may be cheaper/easier/more practical to just grab an external and play some games off of it (via USB 3.0).

And some games benefit drastically from an SSD. On load times though, not framerates or anything. Bethesda games are a prime use for this. I have Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim on my SSD and the loads times are night and day.

bZ2g3eF.png

#5113 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Well, I ask because I play on a laptop. I could swap out the optical drive for a third drive, but it may be cheaper/easier/more practical to just grab an external and play some games off of it (via USB 3.0).

And some games benefit drastically from an SSD. On load times though, not framerates or anything. Bethesda games are a prime use for this. I have Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim on my SSD and the loads times are night and day.

Just do some research on the USB 3.0 performance for your specific laptop. If other people say the performance is good, then I'd imagine you could play quite a few games without issues. Oh, and just be sure you get an enclosure containing a 3.5" desktop drive, getting something higher than 5400 RPM wouldn't hurt either. If you want to use it for gaming, you probably wouldn't want a 2.5" 5400 RPM drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure.

#5114 at8mistakes

at8mistakes

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

Yes, games that load a lot (like Bethesda's) will see a huge improvement with a SSD. Games that have less loading, or are more efficient with resource handling will not see much, if any, improvement though. Whether it's worth taking out your optical drive is up to your own uses though. With my luck I would have to reformat it soon after, and it wouldn't recognize the installer from a boot drive. :)

#5115 r9800pro

r9800pro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

If you're ever using a low-end storage drive again for gaming, pop it out of it's case and install it like a normal drive. It's not going to win you any speed-awards, but the increased air flow and cooling will help it last much longer.

SSD drives do have a write-limit, but it's not something the average user needs to worry about. By the time you hit the limit the drive will be several years old and need replacing anyway. Not all games will get a benefit from a SSD though, so I wouldn't recommend it for most games either. It's great for booting up and programs though.

I am out of SATA ports on my Rampage III Extreme mobo (old but gold lol) so I had to get external drives and install games into them. I replaced a 640GB internal with a new 3.0TB WD Green and copied all Steam/Origin and other games into it and changed the letter to the same died external HDD. From now on, I will use internal drives for heavy usage and external for backups.

fs_pc.png

#5116 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

Risen 2 is listed at $10 right now.

$7.5 for a complete pack/edition is the sweet spot for me. My backlog's far too large for it to be worth me paying $10 for just the base game when it's bound to be cheaper before I get around to playing it.
Selling Steam keys: Murder Miners $0.40, Guacamelee! Gold Edition (Cards) $0.30, Puddle (Cards) $0.40Kill Fun Yeah $0.40 (Or $1.38)

#5117 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

I am out of SATA ports on my Rampage III Extreme mobo (old but gold lol) so I had to get external drives and install games into them. I replaced a 640GB internal with a new 3.0TB WD Green and copied all Steam/Origin and other games into it and changed the letter to the same died external HDD. From now on, I will use internal drives for heavy usage and external for backups.

If you end up replacing other drives in the near future, I'd recommend the WD Black series. It costs a bit more, but you do get a 5 year warranty, which is pretty much the best you could hope for with a hard drive.

#5118 at8mistakes

at8mistakes

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:48 AM

If you end up replacing other drives in the near future, I'd recommend the WD Black series. It costs a bit more, but you do get a 5 year warranty, which is pretty much the best you could hope for with a hard drive.

I'll vouch for the black-series as well. I use the green drives for backup and movie storage since my TV will play them directly off of it, and black for regular use. They've been very reliable for me so far. SSD is by far the way to go for booting up and editing programs though, as well as loading intensive games if you've got the extra GB's to spare.

#5119 puffy

puffy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

So, while I can't speak for all uses, I'd say USB 3.0, with the right hardware and proper updates, is definitely a viable option for *some* games. I don't use it for that purpose, but, hey, if you can run Dragon Age on NAS over a high-thoroughput network, then I don't see why USB 3.0 would be a problem.

7200 drive on a great-and very expensive -nas would be faster than a cheap enclosure and disk but why do that seriously???for fun)
dont get me wrong,external disks have their uses ,we agree in that:)

Well, I ask because I play on a laptop. I could swap out the optical drive for a third drive,

you could try a custom enclosure + a fast 7200 rpm drive, id say wd black too

id prefer e-sata over usb,if your laptop supports it
e-sata is basically sata and works natively ,
usb is universal- this means good but not great -and needs driver. an extra and not neededlayer that may cause problems on poor implementations

also consider that external drives frequently change letters, if you are swaping external drives , and it may be annoying in that case

---
alternatively you can download any game
and move the installation directory anywhere without uninstalling the game
when you want to play the game just copy it t again to your int hdd in the appropriate dir
this is the best compromise but may become boring
-

#5120 r9800pro

r9800pro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

$7.5 for a complete pack/edition is the sweet spot for me. My backlog's far too large for it to be worth me paying $10 for just the base game when it's bound to be cheaper before I get around to playing it.

I got Risen 2 for $6.43 from GMG on 12/12/12 :D
I hope to get the DLCs for cheap from Amazon.

Where I live, they give 2 years warranty for "any" HDD :lol:

I do have 3x 1.0TB WD Black HDDs and they are indeed very reliable. The oldest one has 33484 Power On Hours :hot:

Posted Image

fs_pc.png

#5121 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

7200 drive on a great-and very expensive -nas would be faster than a cheap enclosure and disk but why do that seriously???for fun)
dont get me wrong,external disks have their uses ,we agree in that:)

you could try a custom enclosure + a fast 7200 rpm drive, id say wd black too

usb is universal- this means good but not great -and needs driver. an extra and not neededlayer that may cause problems on poor implementations

external drives frequently change letters, if you are swaping external drives and it may be annoying in that case

---
alternatively you can download any game
and move the installation directory anywhere without uninstalling the game
when you want to play the game just copy it t again to your int hdd in the appropriate dir
this is the best compromise but may become boring
-

Yeah, good advice. It totally slipped my mind that I have a hybrid e-SATA/USB 3.0 port on this thing.

I'm also familiar with symlinking, so it makes moving installations around (to faster drives, for instance) a breeze.

bZ2g3eF.png

#5122 jester55

jester55

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

So, is the chance of more keys for Paradox 2012 Ultimate collection officially dead now?
I notice that the pack no longer shows on first page...

#5123 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

So, is the chance of more keys for Paradox 2012 Ultimate collection officially dead now?

I THOUGHT he was prolonging it till the 2nd, but hopes are looking bleak at this point.

bZ2g3eF.png

#5124 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

eSATA is definitely a good option. You could just get an enclosure or docking station with both eSATA and USB 3.0, and see which connection performs better on your setup.

#5125 puffy

puffy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

Where I live, they give 2 years warranty for "any" HDD :lol:

you can send it to WD directly if RMA needed-blacks have 5 years worldwide guarantee
even receipt is not needed,they check serial

#5126 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

-

^^^^
This. I'll be buyign an external HDD soon for my laptop; fortunately it does have an e-SATA port [faster than USB 3.0]

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#5127 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

eSATA is definitely the best option - it's just SATA with a different plug and cabling standard.
Selling Steam keys: Murder Miners $0.40, Guacamelee! Gold Edition (Cards) $0.30, Puddle (Cards) $0.40Kill Fun Yeah $0.40 (Or $1.38)

#5128 Correlli

Correlli

The guy with the small brain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

The message from Tony seemed to be, if he was going to get more keys, he would have gotten them by now.

Too bad. I regret holding out for the 2012 pack and not getting the CKII pack instead.

#5129 yupignome

yupignome

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

The message from Tony seemed to be, if he was going to get more keys, he would have gotten them by now.

Too bad. I regret holding out for the 2012 pack and not getting the CKII pack instead.

^this

I'm upset I saved my last coupon to use on this. Would've liked to buy Age of Empires 3 Collection, but held out to get the Paradox 2012 pack. Wish the coupons were still usable throughout the weekend for those that held out hope.

#5130 DarkZero104

DarkZero104

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Clearly the best solution is to convert all EC leftover amounts into promo credit eligible for PC digital downloads only that expire once the month is over. Did I say month? I meant year. Or week. Or whatever makes that more likely to occur in any remote way.