Photo
* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14964 replies to this topic

#5581 Mac the Geek

Mac the Geek

Member Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

It's possible that they do keep Sims 3 more up to date but I kind of doubt it. They seem to be relying on the launchers to do the updates which means you download the old versions first then run the launcher then do the updates. *Edit confirmed by a least one Amazon review, at least as of July 2012.

Still correct, as of January 2013. I downloaded the "pre-refresh" base game onto my wife's computer, then was immediately faced with the need to download a patch almost half the size of the game itself.

#5582 mcthatch

mcthatch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

I haven't seen anyone mention this, and I know we have some sports game fans.
Baseball Mogul 2008 - $4

To those that are interested in this kind of game, it's a lot of fun. I got addicted to it for a little while back in 2007 and enjoyed taking a team from like the 1900s to far in the future. I'd try to draft or trade for my favorite historical players. It sims fairly accurate and you can actually sim pitch by pitch if you want, though I never did that.

#5583 Aquaman1942

Aquaman1942

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have a problem and a question.

The problem is that I can't register on thesims3.com website. it says it need my serial key for either the game itself or an expansion, but the serial key I have in Origin won't work, so I can't register.

My question is: When I buy for example the Pets expansion, do I enter the serial I get from Amazon in Origin or on the website (Im hearing some talk about the website).

TheSims3.com site seems to be pretty buggy especially when it comes to copies you register via Origin. I went through this FAQ (goo gl/2ZeXM <-- stick a dot between "goo" and "gl") and I'm now waiting for a response from EA Support. Tried getting on chat yesterday, but eventually ran out of patience.

#5584 Mandy I Am

Mandy I Am

Mew Lickens

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Ugh. Figures it would be download only and not physical copies. Awesome deal though!

#5585 Baron O Hell

Baron O Hell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

To bad they don't sell complete Sims games once they are done releasing expansion packs.

#5586 KBoom

KBoom

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

To bad they don't sell complete Sims games once they are done releasing expansion packs.

When this happens they launch the next The Sims. :lol:

And start it all over with the expansion packs :whee:

#5587 deranged boar

deranged boar

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Any updates on Kingdom of Amalur?

#5588 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Ugh. Figures it would be download only and not physical copies. Awesome deal though!

The thread title PCDD didn't give it away?

76561197971332172.png

#5589 Chardyll

Chardyll

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Ugh, I just bought Generations on the Origin sale the other day for $10! Probably will pick up a stuff pack though.

#5590 kaseyjakes

kaseyjakes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

i wish the mac versions of the expansion packs were on sale :( i'd spend too much money on them if so

#5591 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

I don't think Origin is that advanced yet. You must be thinking of that other service. :-P

I actually don't recall waiting around for a long update after installing and launching Sims 3.

Selling Groupees Sometimes Tuesday Bundles for $1.10 PayPal or one TF2 key. PM me!

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#5592 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

I actually don't recall waiting around for a long update after installing and launching Sims 3.

Person above in the thread says otherwise but if I must I'll install the damned thing tonight from Origin and see what it does. :-P

I know for a fact the Origin version still has the game updates button in the launcher whereas the Steam version does not because they removed it since Steam does the updates itself.

mdUFwSE.png

#5593 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Any updates on Kingdom of Amalur?

Ooh sending a new email now. No word back yet other than "looking at the contract".

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amazongames
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

#5594 forthenguyen

forthenguyen

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Ooh sending a new email now. No word back yet other than "looking at the contract".

Cheers,
Tony

:bouncy: Hopefully a deal as good as the Origin version you had, which I think was $13(?) with all the DLC.

#5595 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

:bouncy: Hopefully a deal as good as the Origin version you had, which I think was $13(?) with all the DLC.

Yup, it was $12.99. It was $10 after the coupon during a promotion for it in January though.

Selling Groupees Sometimes Tuesday Bundles for $1.10 PayPal or one TF2 key. PM me!

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#5596 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

Person above in the thread says otherwise but if I must I'll install the damned thing tonight from Origin and see what it does. :-P

I know for a fact the Origin version still has the game updates button in the launcher whereas the Steam version does not because they removed it since Steam does the updates itself.

Are you aware that the review is for sims 3 download which is not available anymore, and not sims 3 refresh which indeed does include the past patches?
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#5597 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Are you aware that the review is for sims 3 download which is not available anymore, and not sims 3 refresh which indeed does include the past patches?

Yes I am aware but there have been patches since the 'refresh' and there will continue to be.

My point was just that Origin doesn't automatically give you the latest version of a game when you download and you still have to patch after you download, hence the need for the refresh even on the digital version.

mdUFwSE.png

#5598 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

oh I see
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#5599 Dreamweaver7

Dreamweaver7

Valar Morghulis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

Yes I am aware but there have been patches since the 'refresh' and there will continue to be.

My point was just that Origin doesn't automatically give you the latest version of a game when you download and you still have to patch after you download, hence the need for the refresh even on the digital version.

Just my experience - I got FIFA 13 during the EC sale, redeemed it on Origin and downloaded the game with no issues. It's patched itself at least twice since then with no intervention from myself. Don't know if that automagic patching process is game dependent though.

#5600 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:22 AM

Just my experience - I got FIFA 13 during the EC sale, redeemed it on Origin and downloaded the game with no issues. It's patched itself at least twice since then with no intervention from myself. Don't know if that automagic patching process is game dependent though.

But did it patch through the Origin client or through the game? In my experience the Origin client hasn't been doing any patching and doesn't give you the latest version when you download. Maybe that will change with some newer games that are fully integrated into Origin like Sim City, I don't know.

It seems like Origin just gives you the 1.0 version and then relies on the game to do the patching, or has with the games I tried.

BTW I just download The Sims 3 from Origin (non-refresh version) and it downloaded 1.063 which is the original version that was released in June 2009. :shock: Then when you run the launcher it prompts you to do updates which coming from that version will be substantial.

The refresh is a lot more patched up to date so for those buying that now you shouldn't have to do as much updating but there have been some recent patches so you'll still have to do some.

I don't understand why EA with all their resources can't just make it so whenever you download any of their games from Origin you automatically get the latest version without having to patch on to of that. *shrug*

I'm sure it's on their Origin to-do list road map.

*Edit: Apparently, it was on their to-do list for Quarter 3 in Fiscal year 12, so I guess they've missed that deadline (they just released their FY13 3rd quarter #s) unless it's only for newer titles and not retroactive for older ones like Steam does.

On an unrelated note, I noticed from snooping around on EA's press release site that they just released Origin for the Mac and Sims PC download on Origin is now showing as "win/mac". Previously the DD only showed as "Win" and the physical disc was the only one showing as Mac. I wonder if this means if you activate a Sims key to Origin that it's now cross platform and you can also download the Mac version. I don't own a Mac to try and install Origin on so I can't verify but I was just curious.

I did notice in my Origin library if I right click on Sims 3 and do "Show game details" it shows the supported platforms as "PC, Mac".

mdUFwSE.png

#5601 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

There is a The Sims 1 complete collection. I wish they'd make one for 2. It was a bitch to track down everything, and even worse to (re)install everything plus patches on my daughter's PC when something goes wrong. Plus, all the Kingdom Hearts, Taylor Swift, and Justin Bieber skins...
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#5602 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:15 AM

There is a The Sims 1 complete collection. I wish they'd make one for 2. It was a bitch to track down everything, and even worse to (re)install everything plus patches on my daughter's PC when something goes wrong. Plus, all the Kingdom Hearts, Taylor Swift, and Justin Bieber skins...

The only use I can find for a Justin Bieber sim is to find creative ways to make him die violently. :lol:

mdUFwSE.png

#5603 Dreamweaver7

Dreamweaver7

Valar Morghulis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

The only use I can find for a Justin Bieber sim is to find creative ways to make him die violently. :lol:

Not letting him pee?

#5604 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

Sims is one of those games that is fun for about a week then you wonder what the heck you're doing and stop.

#5605 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

Sims is one of those games that is fun for about a week then you wonder what the heck you're doing and stop.

Eh, if you like the Sims you play it for much longer than a week. If you don't like it, better you just don't buy it in the first place.

bZ2g3eF.png

#5606 osso1

osso1

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

I haven't seen anyone mention this, and I know we have some sports game fans.
Baseball Mogul 2008 - $4

Hey ashekitty

Thanks for the heads up

While checking out Baseball Mogul 2008
I ran across this.. Free Baseball Mogul 2009 Download (OBSOLETE)
Bottom of Page

http://store.sportsmogul.com/

Have you tryed this and is it same Game as 2008 ?
Also got a Free Football Mogul 2012

Gotta Love Free....

#5607 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

Eh, if you like the Sims you play it for much longer than a week. If you don't like it, better you just don't buy it in the first place.

I got through spurts where I play it for a while then don't play it for a long time, then play it again, then don't for another long time etc. The expansions do help to drum up interested again.

It's probably one of the games I go back to the most. That and the Elder Scrolls games. They both have this quality for me where I may not touch them for long stretches of time but always seem to come back to them sooner or later.

mdUFwSE.png

#5608 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

Hey ashekitty

Thanks for the heads up

Bottom of Page

Gotta Love Free....

Nice find. Might try the free ones out.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#5609 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

Hey ashekitty

Thanks for the heads up

Bottom of Page

Gotta Love Free....

ah i remeber this game i use to play it but fm is weeakass compare to baseball mogul but i stop playing since 2012 lol but ootp is better tho more ddepth but good tims

#5610 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

Gotta Love Free....

Sweet, thanks.