Photo
* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14964 replies to this topic

#5701 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

I can guarantee you a mass amount of people will preorder and cancel just for the first $15 credit. Shame, too, as it really is a very creative and quite generous promotion.

Considering how many non-Americans use fake addresses to buy from Amazon, yeah their customers aren't really the sort who are huge about following rules and being honest.

steam_sig.png

#5702 xanchui

xanchui

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hey guys,

We had a discussion a while back where I asked you for your feedback on pre-order promos. Wanted to give you a heads up that, in the near future (likely next week) we plan on launching a test whereby customers who pre-order (or have pre-ordered) one of our titles will get $15 to use immediately on titles from the publisher, and we'll be promoting those titles in that same week.k When the game releases, you'll get an additional $15 credit to use on the publisher's titles, and we plan on promoting them again after launch.

Cheers,
Tony

Is one of the eligible titles The Elder Scrolls Online ? =0

#5703 Estbarul

Estbarul

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Considering how many non-Americans use fake addresses to buy from Amazon, yeah their customers aren't really the sort who are huge about following rules and being honest.

I've always wondered what percentage of Amazon total sales comes from people outside US...
PM me if you want to buy with 20% compensation discount in Gamersgate Store
Buy a min of 2$ and get a 2$ account credit on Green Man Gaming

#5704 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

There are people on SD with tons of accounts. It's going to get abused and canceled. I hope Amazon has an automated system to disable after a certain percent, eke the locusts will have left by the time the promo is cut off.

#5705 yangwenli

yangwenli

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

I doubt I'd pre-order anything, but I feel if they clearly state that you WILL be charged $15 if you cancel, this will cut down the abuse a little. Then again, what's stopping people from setting up an account and using one of those temporary credit cards or debit gift cards to do the pre-order, then cancel with no recourse?

I suppose my view on this is that everything is inter-connected and if people abuse this, even though Amazon can absorb it, it still makes things more expensive for other games, and other physical goods I buy.

I really hope you find another way to do this than seeing the level of abuse, then changing it later at some percentage.

I feel like if this was offered, I couldn't help but take advantage as well since I like free stuff as a CAG, but generally lean towards avoiding pre-orders due to cost so "may" cancel after reviews, etc...

The problem with stopping the promo after the cancel is that it'll be weeks after the promo started. If it's cancelled after a certain number, the SD folks will definitely bombard this faster than legit buyers and there won't be enough spots left. Just hoping for another solution to reward pre-order people. Maybe charge the $15 immediately and give $30 back AFTER the pre-order ships/is charged...

#5706 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Yeah, I'm going to go with the outcome being 'this is why we can't have nice things' but we'll see I suppose.

Yeah, it might be, I don't want to not try something cool because something bad might happen though :).

I went back and forth on whether or not to make it $30 post launch rather than $15/$15 but I really want to see if there are enough legitimate customers out there interested in the game (which should be one of our biggest launches this year), to outweigh those looking to game the system.

Like I said, if it doesn't work we'll change it up for the next one (or partway through this one), so the customer just gets $30 immediately after release.

I hope that % is somewhere near 80 or so, because I have a feeling it's gonna be abused, even if its only once per account.

Ha, definitely not that high, but we did something similar with Max Payne 3 and didn't see anywhere near that level of abuse.

Well I hope it turns out well with minimal abuse. It sounds like a hell of a deal and, depending on the publisher, I could definitely see myself taking advantage of it for some games I might be interested in pre-ordering.

Me too :) at the very least I'll get some great data around what other promotions folks who abuse the system have participated in and how, which gives me great information on how to structure future promos.

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amazongames
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

#5707 ccm0628

ccm0628

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

If this gets abused, you can always try a second "test" where you charge $15 when you preorder, you get the $15 credit, then when the game is released you either refund the original $15 charge or only bill for $45. It seems like if a person knew that if they canceled their preorder and they already paid $15 for the credit that they would be more likely to not abuse the system.

#5708 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

You could maybe combine a $15 credit after-the-fact with a percentage discount of the pre-order game up front and or just back-load all of the promotional credit so it's $30 after the game releases.

Ya, the $30 after launch is essentially "Plan B".

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#5709 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Tony, is the game going to be Bioshock Infinite? ;)

#5710 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

If this gets abused, you can always try a second "test" where you charge $15 when you preorder, you get the $15 credit, then when the game is released you either refund the original $15 charge or only bill for $45. It seems like if a person knew that if they canceled their preorder and they already paid $15 for the credit that they would be more likely to not abuse the system.

This is something we talked about and are def going to try and implement in the future, we had to fix some stuff in our back end regarding how we handle pre-order price changes and how they interact with coupons. This is definitely an option that I'll be pitching in the future too.

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#5711 chaosking121

chaosking121

Hoarder Of Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Tony, is the game going to be Bioshock Infinite? ;)

He said "one of the biggest launches of the year", so: probably.

#5712 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

There are people on SD with tons of accounts.

To be fair you can sneeze and end up with another Amazon account. I have at least two under my primary email address. I think that's all, but with the way the system is quick to set up a new account if you don't log in just right, I could be missing some.

#5713 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

I'd take $25 off the preorder personally over 2x $15 credits good towards other games.

I know I'm not alone in saying I probably own a large percentage of most publishers libraries (at least enough to cover all I really wanted), but I also know that me and the others like me are probably in the 1% category since we have such large libraries of games.

EDIT:

I agree with the others though. This is going to be abused more than a red headed stepchild.

#5714 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Sadly I expect Tony's promo to be abused in it's current form. I simply thought, "What the SlickDeals thread would look like?" to get an idea of the abuse. I don't think 1 per account is a safeguard. Also abusers might not cancel their pre-orders right away, so that might not be a good metric for abuse until it's too late.

That said, I think the deal could be modified to prevent abuse by placing a $15 charge on pre-order.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#5715 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

I'd take $25 off the preorder personally over 2x $15 credits good towards other games.

I know I'm not alone in saying I probably own a large percentage of most publishers libraries (at least enough to cover all I really wanted), but I also know that me and the others like me are probably in the 1% category since we have such large libraries of games.

This. I was thinking of commenting that my cynical side doesn't not like publisher restricted discounts ($ off or store credit is far better) and that's before trying to factor in if there is anything else from the publisher that I want/don't-have. That said, I've never pre-ordered software.

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#5716 forthenguyen

forthenguyen

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Honestly $30 credit at release or getting charged $15 right away would be the way to go I think. In the end it's basically the same thing but cuts out the abuse, and I don't really want a couple of jerks ruining it for the rest of us.

#5717 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

Honestly $30 credit at release or getting charged $15 right away would be the way to go I think. In the end it's basically the same thing but cuts out the abuse, and I don't really want a couple of jerks ruining it for the rest of us.

This is an easy change to make, and what our original plan was (the $30 after release rather than the split) I actually advocated for the split hoping to give legit customers something exciting before the game launches.

Based on the early reaction here though...might reach back out to Take 2 lol.

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#5718 Metroidman

Metroidman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Any news from Rhode Island about KoA? Damn I want that so bad.

#5719 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

Yeah, honestly I wouldn't bother floating it as a test. As someone mentioned it's going to hit Slick Deals and every other website and everyone and their brother will preorder and cancel just for $15 credit. I'd just go with the $30. Only outcome I see here is Take 2 getting ticked off at the split version of the promotion.

#5720 Triggerhappy14

Triggerhappy14

Hey, what's going on?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

This is an easy change to make, and what our original plan was (the $30 after release rather than the split) I actually advocated for the split hoping to give legit customers something exciting before the game launches.

Based on the early reaction here though...might reach back out to Take 2 lol.

Cheers,
Tony

So it is Bioshock Infinite then? Awesome! Now I know to wait to preorder.

#5721 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Looks like I was right when this was first brought up about the preorder stuff, Bioshock Infinite.
Only 2k games I don't own are the sports ones, oh well :(

#5722 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

So it is Bioshock Infinite then? Awesome! Now I know to wait to preorder.

Not sure why you'd wait to pre-order...but you're welcome :).

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#5723 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

It's a conundrum for me. On one hand, I'm much more likely to buy with a little something-something up front to play with. On the other, I realize the potential for abuse.

But then I don't know what else Take 2 has in their catalog that I might want so maybe it's a moot point.

#5724 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

I think people are missing the important point here. He said we'd have a sale on the publisher's games to go with the first $15 credit. Then another sale again after release for the release of the other $15 credit.

Now you're convincing him to go with a $30 credit AFTER. Which means we'll get one less sale and the sale won't be as good to make using that $30 credit not go as far. That was the point in splitting the credit up. So we couldn't spend it all at once on any one game. We'd put more of our own money toward the on-sale game. Now... it'll be $30, which would pay for most games even non-sale. Sooo... they'll be far less likely to go along with a sale plus that credit.

Thanks, guys. We can't EVER have anything nice because of you worrywarts worrying over hypothetical abusers of a hypothetical system.

#5725 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

I think people are missing the important point here. He said we'd have a sale on the publisher's games to go with the first $15 credit. Then another sale again after release for the release of the other $15 credit.

Now you're convincing him to go with a $30 credit AFTER. Which means we'll get one less sale and the sale won't be as good to make using that $30 credit not go as far. That was the point in splitting the credit up. So we couldn't spend it all at once on any one game. We'd put more of our own money toward the on-sale game. Now... it'll be $30, which would pay for most games even non-sale. Sooo... they'll be far less likely to go along with a sale plus that credit.

Thanks, guys. We can't EVER have anything nice because of you worrywarts worrying over hypothetical abusers of a hypothetical system.

Meh, I'd think for any of us $25 off the pre-order is better than any combination of $30 in credit for 2K games. Can you name one or two other 2K games you would buy now after the Xmas sales?

I also think we are better off in the long term if Tony's deals aren't spoiled by abuse.

#5726 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

Meh, I'd think for any of us $25 off the pre-order is better than any combination of $30 in credit for 2K games. Can you name one or two other 2K games you would buy now after the Xmas sales?

I also think we are better off in the long term if Tony's deals aren't spoiled by abuse.

Exactly what asheskitty said.
Honestly, 2K stuff has been on sale in bundles so much I would honestly be surprised if people here doing have 90% of what they wanted from them. The only games I can even see people caring about are Borderlands 2 and the new Xcom just because 50% off has been their lowest price around most places iirc.

Civ 4-5
The Darkness 2
Spec Ops The Line
Mafia 2
Borderlands
NBA 2k
MLB 2k

Those are the other games they have besides the other two I mentioned and that I can remember off my head.

We have seen bundles (awesome bundles) for all but the sports titles and we have seen ALL including the sports titles are large discounts already multiple times.

#5727 xanchui

xanchui

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Unless X-Com or Borderlands 2 is on sale for $20 before $15 credit applies, I don't see there being rampant abuse (unless there is a free game). Even so, you could just set the sale so you get a decent usage of your coupon the first time, and wait until the second credit for a more awesome sale.

#5728 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Let's not be naive here. You offer the internet at-large a chance at a free $15 and they're going to take it. By the thousands. I'm not arguing that, for the 'legitimate' consumer that $15 and $15 isn't the better scenario; merely pointing out to Tony that it's probably in his best interests -- as the head of Amazon PCDD who has to maintain a working relationship with Take 2 -- to avoid opening himself up to mass abuse. And make no mistake, it will get abused hardcore.

#5729 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Let's not be naive here. You offer the internet at-large a chance at a free $15 and they're going to take it. By the thousands. I'm not arguing that, for the 'legitimate' consumer that $15 and $15 isn't the better scenario; merely pointing out to Tony that it's probably in his best interests -- as the head of Amazon PCDD who has to maintain a working relationship with Take 2 -- to avoid opening himself up to mass abuse. And make no mistake, it will get abused hardcore.

This is why I start these conversations here on Cag, you guys make a good sounding board, stay tuned :).

Also, to clarify, I'm not the head of Amazon PCDD, that's my boss, who is pretty rad too. I just run the marketing (which ends up bleeding into operational stuff pretty regularly).

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#5730 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

Just make it so if you use the pre-order credit (don't make it automatically applied credit when you buy something), the pre-order locks to your account and you can't cancel. And make this clearly stated so no one goes "wtf!".

A bit harsh maybe, but you're screwing yourself over otherwise.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png