Photo
* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14964 replies to this topic

#5731 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

Unless X-Com or Borderlands 2 is on sale for $20 before $15 credit applies, I don't see there being rampant abuse (unless there is a free game). Even so, you could just set the sale so you get a decent usage of your coupon the first time, and wait until the second credit for a more awesome sale.

This is a fair point. It all depends on what's being offered. You could also structure the promotions creatively.

#5732 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Yeah, honestly I wouldn't bother floating it as a test. As someone mentioned it's going to hit Slick Deals and every other website and everyone and their brother will preorder and cancel just for $15 credit. I'd just go with the $30. Only outcome I see here is Take 2 getting ticked off at the split version of the promotion.

I second this. I highly advise you (Tony) to just go straight with the $30 post-release, or at least something that doesn't give illegitimate customers the chance at free money.

With the $15/$15 split, you're setting up for failure. Don't give the interwebs a chance, and just eliminate the free money outright. There are more asshats and black hats than there are white hats. This has been proven time and time again.

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#5733 Dreamweaver7

Dreamweaver7

Valar Morghulis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

This. I was thinking of commenting that my cynical side doesn't not like publisher restricted discounts ($ off or store credit is far better) and that's before trying to factor in if there is anything else from the publisher that I want/don't-have. That said, I've never pre-ordered software.

I'll back what everyone else here is saying. It'll be abused. Anyone remember the 5% off GG for life for subbing to IGN Prime? Wonder how many people actually paid money for IGN Prime vs how many people took advantage of the 5% discount until the cancelled it.

Yeah... take it straight off the preorder, or give the credit after the fact.

#5734 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

It's promo sounds cool in any form but limiting to one publisher is probably a deal breaker for me. Like others I have too many games and the credits would waste away. I'd much rather have a bigger discount off or a generic amazon digital games credit even if its a smaller amount.

I'd second giving credit after the game comes out or flip it and make it buy this gift card and get $30 off this preorder.

Of course the advantage of the split is you get to promote their games twice.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#5735 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

I'll back what everyone else here is saying. It'll be abused. Anyone remember the 5% off GG for life for subbing to IGN Prime? Wonder how many people actually paid money for IGN Prime vs how many people took advantage of the 5% discount until the cancelled it.

Yeah... take it straight off the preorder, or give the credit after the fact.

I believe it was 15%. Either way, GG pulled the bigger "fuck you" on that one when they cancelled the "permanent discount" and basically said "permanent doesn't necessarily mean permanent".

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#5736 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

I believe it was 15%. Either way, GG pulled the bigger "fuck you" on that one when they cancelled the "permanent discount" and basically said "permanent doesn't necessarily mean permanent".

It was 15%, I doubled checked my tatoo to be sure.

I see it as a Buddhist lesson in the impermanence of the digital world.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#5737 RiseFromYourGrave

RiseFromYourGrave

Mighty Pirate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

Tony,
This might be a little off topic (but, by the way, the $15 off is quite the motivator for me to pre-order :D), but are you planning to PM gamefly's 2K deals? I think Mafia II is the most enticing of the bunch there. Just got an Amazon gift card, and I've been waiting for Mafia II.

Edited by RiseFromYourGrave, 14 February 2013 - 02:26 AM.

Quaint Specs:
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5650/Intel i7 720QM/6GB DDR3/Cool Stuff
Steam id: kiss.gandy

#5738 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Just make it so if you use the pre-order credit (don't make it automatically applied credit when you buy something), the pre-order locks to your account and you can't cancel. And make this clearly stated so no one goes "wtf!".

A bit harsh maybe, but you're screwing yourself over otherwise.

This is probably the best solution but I imagine it would require some rejiggering of systems on your end.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#5739 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

This is probably the best solution but I imagine it would require some rejiggering of systems on your end.

/agreed, and am pitching this to the dev team on Monday :).

Any sort of solution like this will be a while out though, especially since I won't have much data to build a business case for bumping something else.

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amazongames
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

#5740 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

This will get abused.

Tony said it himself during the Editor's Choice promotion last month: many people bought cheap DLC to hoard coupons, and only spent them on cheap/free games (like the $0 Hotline Miami and Bioshock). This is why we didn't see the $1 games from 2012. I would bet a lot of coupons went unused (unless they bought MS Arcade bundles to flip at $2 a game, but that's a lot of hassle for $5 profit).

If this pre-order promotion is meant to generate more pre-orders for a game from Amazon, then yes it'll work. But don't expect people to actually get charged for those games.

#5741 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

It always seems silly to me that so many of these things have relatively easy fixes, and the mega-empire of Amazon always somehow ends up gimped by site functionality. Far tinier and insignificant sites have such more advanced PCDD functionality than Amazon...

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#5742 akajaybay

akajaybay

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

Any chance of that 2012 Paradox set making a reappearance soon?

#5743 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

Just my opinion, but if this 15/15 promotion was only advertised on Amazon; I would expect very little abuse.
But since it will be advertised on Reddit/CAG/SD, I expect my "Abuse-O-Meter" to go off the charts.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#5744 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

/agreed, and am pitching this to the dev team on Monday :).

Any sort of solution like this will be a while out though, especially since I won't have much data to build a business case for bumping something else.

Cheers,
Tony

Another alternative is to have two versions of the pre-order. There may be some cases where it may pose a problem, but you could have one version of the pre-order where you give the $15 upfront and $15 later which locks in your pre-order, without the possibility of cancelling it, and another in which you can still cancel, but you get the $30 post-charge.

Just a thought.

#5745 Triggerhappy14

Triggerhappy14

Hey, what's going on?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

Not sure why you'd wait to pre-order...but you're welcome :).

Cheers,
Tony

I'm waiting for a refund on Aliens Colonial Marines since they never got me my key so I just cancelled. I'll spend that money on Bioshock now instead lol. Should be a better purchase in the end...

#5746 erequena

erequena

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

Considering how many non-Americans use fake addresses to buy from Amazon, yeah their customers aren't really the sort who are huge about following rules and being honest.

Dude, what's your problem with non-Americans? You're the only person I've heard complaining about that (and quite often). And Amazon IS GETTING OUR MONEY, yeah, sure, we might be circling around the system, but we're not being dishonest.

I believe Amazon knows that, that's why they are allowing that loophole (i.e. purchasing with a gift card without validating CC). Amazon clearly believes in a really open world, and I'm pretty sure only enforce regional restrictions due to pressure from publishers (i.e. they don't enforce anything of the kind on physical purchases, you can use any CC from any country)

So, thank you Amazon, for being realistic and knowing what the internet is really for: Breaking geographic barriers, not making them worst!

Back on topic, that preorder promotion is awesomely amazong (intended)
Posted Image

#5747 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

Dude, what's your problem with non-Americans? You're the only person I've heard complaining about that (and quite often). And Amazon IS GETTING OUR MONEY, yeah, sure, we might be circling around the system, but we're not being dishonest.

I believe Amazon knows that, that's why they are allowing that loophole (i.e. purchasing with a gift card without validating CC). Amazon clearly believes in a really open world, and I'm pretty sure only enforce regional restrictions due to pressure from publishers (i.e. they don't enforce anything of the kind on physical purchases, you can use any CC from any country)

So, thank you Amazon, for being realistic and knowing what the internet is really for: Breaking geographic barriers, not making them worst!

http://www.cheapassg...line=1265216657

#5748 Dreamweaver7

Dreamweaver7

Valar Morghulis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

It was 15%, I doubled checked my tatoo to be sure.

I see it as a Buddhist lesson in the impermanence of the digital world.

Thanks for the correction on the typo~

It was a terrible idea in the first place. People got to keep the discount even if they cancelled the IGN Prime sub right after application and before they paid a single red cent.

Some days you'd think GG likes throwing money away.

#5749 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/image.php?u=151725&dateline=1265216657

Omg, haha.

bZ2g3eF.png

#5750 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

I'm pretty excited about a deal on BioShock Infinite. I think I'm like many around here and may have a hard time finding something in their catalog I don't already own, but I'm willing to look. Can't wait to see the details.

And, yeah, it'll be abused mercilessly by the internet hooligans if there isn't a system in place to ensure it is not. The internet is such a depressing window on humanity sometimes...

76561197971332172.png

#5751 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

I've got a great idea for a deal.

Buy Bioshock 1 and 2 and get Bioshock Infinite free!

bZ2g3eF.png

#5752 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

I've got a great idea for a deal.

Buy Bioshock 1 and 2 and get Bioshock Infinite free!

Sounds good. Make it happen, spadermon.

#5753 Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane

Dr. StrangeCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

Tony

Any plans to have Brutal Legend on the store? As well as deals on said game?
Dr. Strange CAG- Or how I learned to stop worrying and love cheap stuff.

Posted Image
Christianity: The belief that a Jewish cosmic zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.

#5754 CheapThomas

CheapThomas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:03 AM

I'm waiting for a refund on Aliens Colonial Marines since they never got me my key so I just cancelled. I'll spend that money on Bioshock now instead lol. Should be a better purchase in the end...

I'm sure you're disappointed ;)

actually, considering all the noise around aliens and those who pre-ordered the game, I wonder how many folks are going to still go ahead and pre-order. I'm guessing we're going to see some aggressive promotions from the publishers in the next few weeks to keep some from cancelling their pre-orders.

#5755 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:47 AM

I'm sure you're disappointed ;)

actually, considering all the noise around aliens and those who pre-ordered the game, I wonder how many folks are going to still go ahead and pre-order. I'm guessing we're going to see some aggressive promotions from the publishers in the next few weeks to keep some from cancelling their pre-orders.

it not that bad im sorry i play it fun and not 2 out of 10 but 7 or 8 oout of 10 luckiley i got cheap. but on topic is there goign to be valetine sale?

#5756 erequena

erequena

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/image.php?u=151725&dateline=1265216657

HAHAHA quite fiting!
Posted Image

#5757 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

This is no different than Americans (or anyone outside of region, really) buying keys from what some people call "shady resellers" or buying Steam gifts purchased in CIS countries; in every case the consumer is buying a product that was not intended for them. For some reason, only talk of the former is disallowed here, with most people actively hostile against it. The hypocrisy is truly mind-boggling and I'd be interested to know how many people are ok with this, but opposed to other out of region purchasing.

I'm curious how much longer the Paradox and SquareEnix packs may have lasted if only people who were supposed to be buying them were able to. There is also a (small) worry among some of us that publishers may not take too kindly to Amazon's lax region checks and punish them in the future, ruining the deals for the rest of us. That doesn't even take into account the complaints and added CS and potentially product costs when a key will only activate in North America -- yes, it is rare, but there was a lot of complaining from people who couldn't activate Dead Island, or people asking questions about GfWL games, wondering if the games would activate in their country. There is absolutely no reason that Amazon should be spending resources trying to fix these issues, because they shouldn't be issues in the first place.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#5758 opasx

opasx

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

if the internet decides it wants nice things, we can have nice things :).

The internet ruins most things, I am now sad but still hopeful it lasts long enough for me to preorder some decent.

#5759 Mac the Geek

Mac the Geek

Member Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

I also think we are better off in the long term if Tony's deals aren't spoiled by abuse.

This is the comment that wins the debate. Remember the Saints Row 3 DLC codes that were published in a GoogleDoc last summer? Hundreds of codes that disappeared within minutes of the link finding its way to reddit.

If there is a deal on the Internet that can be abused, it will be abused. Even Rule 34 is less immutable than this one.

This is why I start these conversations here on Cag, you guys make a good sounding board, stay tuned :).

If you really want to test the credit-before-purchase angle, don't use a AAA title as the guinea pig. Work with iWin or one of the other casual-game publishers. Offer $2 early credit and $2 post-launch credit for a $9.99 preorder. I think you'd still see a fair amount of abuse, but the risk would be much more manageable.

#5760 Dreamweaver7

Dreamweaver7

Valar Morghulis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

This is no different than Americans (or anyone outside of region, really) buying keys from what some people call "shady resellers" or buying Steam gifts purchased in CIS countries; in every case the consumer is buying a product that was not intended for them. For some reason, only talk of the former is disallowed here, with most people actively hostile against it. The hypocrisy is truly mind-boggling and I'd be interested to know how many people are ok with this, but opposed to other out of region purchasing.

Or for people "helping" others buy games that are either region-locked or more expensive (hello Australia) for them. If Steam wanted they could disallow trading of games to players in regions where that game is unavailable or has a higher prevailing pricing regime. There are a couple of threads on the CAG forums that assist/encourage this behaviour, so it's implicitly condoned at the very least here right? :bouncy: