Photo
* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14964 replies to this topic

#6601 smurfinaus

smurfinaus

GOGger's Unite!! :)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

So what's up with prices for various games going up and down? Makes me too scared to buy anything for fear of it being cheaper the next day.... my inner CAG will never forgive myself.

Im actually starting to wonder about this. Tony admitted to one typo (singularity) but im wondering about the other ones?
Posted Image

#6602 bluelark

bluelark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

My logic is because this "Deal" was so obvious that it WILL be abused that Amazon and no one should be surprised...

I think EVERYONE on CAG told Tony this was a dumb idea and it will be abused. They still ran it so maybe I am of the camp of I told you so, so let's not be surprised and say, oh, a few ruin it for the masses.

The main problem is a vendor just sold games for free and instead of even getting $5 or $10 from these folks, they could have got real pre-order people to keep their order and save them a bit more money. This is because I assume that these "digital games" do have some value, even if it's a dollar so the hundreds or thousands of cancelled codes means no revenue for 2k that they would have gotten at least a little from. Definitely not the full $15, but at least a few bucks that they didn't get because of the offer.

Lastly, this didn't affect me and won't since I don't tend to pre-order (other than the few kickstarters)...and didn't take advantage of the promo...but to prevent from derailing this thread, my problem is that I think this promotion (and I mentioned this in my original post) eventually affects everyone and makes products more expensive for everyone else.

Everything is sorta connected in business and 2k losing revenue from the promo may make them less open to other promos in the future.

I won't comment on this further since I'm not here to say it's right since it's clearly not and this will derail this thread further, but I wanted to comment that Amazon could've ran this promo different since the experiment which took a day didn't need to even take that...I would also guess that plenty of CAGs took advantage of the promo as well without keeping the pre-order. My comment to you is that's fine! I don't think any less of anyone who did...

My bottom line is:
TL;DR: This promo was obviously going to be abused and Amazon is setting themselves up for it. Don't be upset or surprised. I didn't like the promo since it will affect everyone in the long run in higher prices.

Problem is your post indicated nothing of the sort and you straight up said " I almost feel like people should take advantage of it since it's there and saving money is good for people" so how is that not saying that people should basically take advantage of something like that, regardless of any other factors?

Tony even said that he was being optimistic and hoping that it would go better than it did, that they were expecting it. It wasn't a surprise in the least. It doesn't make it acceptable or passable to exploit it since they knowingly went into it.

#6603 CheapThomas

CheapThomas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

FYI guys, just pulled down the current Bioshock pre-order offer, and changed it to the $30 credit after release.

You guys were right :) but I'm glad we ran the test, I'll keep hoping one day the internet doesn't disappoint me.

Cheers,
Tony

It would be really cool if you kept track of accounts that canceled their preorders after using the coupon, then when they try to preorder something else in the future, just pop up a msg at the confirmation saying something like 'are you planning to keep it this time or just going to cancel it like last time.'

just to mess with their heads a little...

#6604 27526343157187946075

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Maybe they should have charged them $15 at the time, and then given $30 after the game came out (the $15 and then a "refund" $15 for being charged at first.

#6605 mcthatch

mcthatch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Question on the Bioshock Infinite credit...is it 30 dollars post release for any digital download or only 2k games?

#6606 smurfinaus

smurfinaus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Maybe they should have charged them $15 at the time, and then given $30 after the game came out (the $15 and then a "refund" $15 for being charged at first.

Would have been the more sensible thing to do, or allow all the credit to be used once the game was released...

Edited by smurfinaus, 23 February 2013 - 10:43 PM.
stuff

Posted Image

#6607 Triggerhappy14

Triggerhappy14

Hey, what's going on?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Question on the Bioshock Infinite credit...is it 30 dollars post release for any digital download or only 2k games?

"Customers who pre-order BioShock Infinite will receive a $30 credit to use on 2K game downloads (excluding BioShock Infinite, BioShock Infinite Season Pass, and games available for pre-order). The $30 credit will be delivered upon release of the game on March 26, 2013. Limit one per customer. Credit must be used by March 26, 2014 limit one per customer. Additionally, pre-order customers will also receive a credit good to redeem a free copy of "BioShock Infinite: Mind in Revolt" for Kindle. An e-mail detailing how to redeem your free Kindle book will be e-mailed within two days after placing your pre-order. Pre-order customers will also receive the "Industrial Revolution Pack", which includes three gear items, 500 bonus in-game currency, five lock picks as well as the Industrial Revolution puzzle game. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Offers apply to all existing pre-orders."

Straight from the page. 2K games only.

Check out my Youtube channel for Let's Play's here: https://www.youtube....5Gg4QWcukMHDthw

SwagBucks: Earn giftcards by watching videos, completing offers, and taking surveys! Sign up here: http://swagbucks.com...riggerhappy1407

InstaGC: Earn gift cards by watching videos and performing tasks. Many different gift cards available including Amazon and they are given out the instant you order them. Sign up here: http://www.instagc.c...riggerhappy1493

Tremor Games: Earn coins to redeem Steam Games, Gift Cards, Bitcoins, and TF2/CSGO/DOTA2 items! Complete offers, play games, and watch videos to easily earn these points. Sign up here: http://www.tremorgames.com/?ref=4176

#6608 bluelark

bluelark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

Would have been the more sensible thing to do, or allow all the credit to be used once the game was released...

That's what they changed it to, I believe. It was 15 now, 15 later then they changed it to 30 once the game releases.

#6609 LakersHater

LakersHater

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

I'll try Inversion for $3.37.

I bit for 4.50 and gotta say I'm very pleasantly surprised. It's a very competent GOW clone. And on my rig at 1080p with graphics maxed out running at 144 fps it's actually quite good looking. Definitely buy it if u haven't already.

#6610 Malibuz0r

Malibuz0r

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

I've been hearing lots of good stuff about Binary Domain. Is it really worth every penny of that 5$?

#6611 memphiz88

memphiz88

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

i think that the Bioshock Infinite preorder should be locked, If the user want to cancel the preorder, the $15 credit must be still intact then they can cancel the preorder and the credit returned. If already used, then the preorder is locked into their account.

i know it's a stupid idea, but just my idea about the exploit. :)

#6612 smurfinaus

smurfinaus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Anyone got recommendation for games (or casual games) from this sale for <$5 ?
Posted Image

#6613 Echoes

Echoes

Farm roads ftw

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

So I got Simcity 4 for $3.75, and then The Last Remnant for $5, I'm done buying games now. Thanks for the great sales as always Tony.

steam_sig.png

Forms_and_Shapes.png

#6614 mcthatch

mcthatch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

I've been hearing lots of good stuff about Binary Domain. Is it really worth every penny of that 5$?

Yes very much so, if you're a fan of 3rd person shooters. Good story, good characters, good ai coop.

#6615 lnknprk

lnknprk

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Sorta how it amazes me that people have to wait for 1 payday check to buy a game...seriously, if people are that tight, this is harsh, but maybe spend less on games or buy old stuff (like me!).

What they should do is save the cash up, and then blow it all on games during a major sale. The games should carry you to the next big sale, and meanwhile you save money back up. Or you can just get addicted to an MMO so that you have no time for anything else. Yeah, you should probably just get addicted to an MMO. Nothing saves money like being too busy playing your game to notice what's happening around you.

#6616 opasx

opasx

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

FYI guys, just pulled down the current Bioshock pre-order offer, and changed it to the $30 credit after release.

You guys were right :) but I'm glad we ran the test, I'll keep hoping one day the internet doesn't disappoint me.

Cheers,
Tony

The internet serves to disappoint.

I still have the $15 preorder credit for purchase of a 2k game prior to release (is that right? I have until release to spend it IF I keep the preorder?).

I am just looking at all the preorder promotions happening at the moment and being a fool who reads poorly I missed the point of not being able to use the credit on the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass (which would have made this a deal for me).

If I have NOT used the promo credit and cancel my preorder, it would not reflect badly would it?

$60 for a game with generous credit (which I wont use) vs $38 with no credit elsewhere.

#6617 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

The internet serves to disappoint.

I still have the $15 preorder credit for purchase of a 2k game prior to release (is that right? I have until release to spend it IF I keep the preorder?).

I am just looking at all the preorder promotions happening at the moment and being a fool who reads poorly I missed the point of not being able to use the credit on the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass (which would have made this a deal for me).

If I have NOT used the promo credit and cancel my preorder, it would not reflect badly would it?

$60 for a game with generous credit (which I wont use) vs $38 with no credit elsewhere.

Nah man, you should go with the offer you value most :).

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amazongames
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

#6618 SpaceForRent

SpaceForRent

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

Tony,

Any chance of matching Gamestop's 29.99 for the download version of Far Cry 3?

#6619 ruuin

ruuin

Vayaansias

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

Tony,

Any chance of matching Gamestop's 29.99 for the download version of Far Cry 3?

Another option is going here :

http://www.nuuvem.co...o/927-far-cry-3

and buy it if you want.

uPlay activation
PC Deals blog : http://vayaansias.com/ (in spanish)

#6620 lnknprk

lnknprk

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

I know Battlefield 3 has a lot of DLC, but is it worth the buy if I only plan on getting the base game?

#6621 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

The internet may disappoint, but Tony does not. Thanks for putting dead space on sale.

#6622 windsmere

windsmere

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

i think that the Bioshock Infinite preorder should be locked, If the user want to cancel the preorder, the $15 credit must be still intact then they can cancel the preorder and the credit returned. If already used, then the preorder is locked into their account.

i know it's a stupid idea, but just my idea about the exploit. :)

I see where you are going with that. I think the obvious thing to do is to only refund a partial amount. Preorder is $60 with an automatic $15 credit. The preorder is cancelled and credit used. So, instead of $60 the refund would be $45. This is what b&m retailers do with credit/bonuses and returns and have done for some time now. Idk man, just my two cents.

#6623 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

Another option is going here :

http://www.nuuvem.co...o/927-far-cry-3

and buy it if you want.

uPlay activation

but u know that amazon has steam key for fc3 i think the poster u quote might want it on steam just saying

#6624 D3rk01

D3rk01

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

You can try guess, they have a policy that most digital games are non refundable and for 1.24 i doubt they'll bother.

Just wanted to say that Amazon is incredibly awesome.

I was not allowed to get my $1.40 back... but instead was given a $5 credit on my account and was also given a $5 voucher to use on anything on Amazon.

You're awesome Amazon! :applause:

#6625 supershammy

supershammy

Hand-rolled and ice cold.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

I know Battlefield 3 has a lot of DLC, but is it worth the buy if I only plan on getting the base game?

You should at least get the Karkand DLC, or you're gonna be left in the dust. Keep in mind also that if you intend to play with specific other people, you will be the bottleneck because there will be lots of servers you won't be able to play on that have DLC maps in rotation.

Honestly, BF3 is incredible and you should get the DLC, except maybe Aftermath and Close Quarters. You're going to experience frustration if you don't.

#6626 T9X69

T9X69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

You should at least get the Karkand DLC, or you're gonna be left in the dust. Keep in mind also that if you intend to play with specific other people, you will be the bottleneck because there will be lots of servers you won't be able to play on that have DLC maps in rotation.

Honestly, BF3 is incredible and you should get the DLC, except maybe Aftermath and Close Quarters. You're going to experience frustration if you don't.

I agree. I bought BF3 for 360 when it was released and I loved it, but I got bored quicker than I thought I would. Recently switched to PC gaming and took a swing and bought the base game. Loved it so much I got premium. It's like a completely new game on PC.

Chris Carlson
Writer
ripten_logo.png447864.png

#6627 Justin42

Justin42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

Just picked up Nights into Dreams for $3.74 after the CAG coupon, thanks Tony! Maybe not the best use of the coupon for pure dollars-saved but it's a game I really wanted to pick up (and looks gorgeous on the PC).

#6628 D3rk01

D3rk01

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

but u know that amazon has steam key for fc3 i think the poster u quote might want it on steam just saying

I think MANY would buy it if it were the steam key... I knew I would! Please do it Tony!!!!

Awesome indeed it's a whole different culture to most companies. Just to clarify i meant to write '' you can try i guess'' rather than ''you can try guess'' just reading it back seemed like i was being rude, not my intention.

Yea, it's seriously incredible. I know that I spend a ton of money with them and am glad that they are able to do me a favor whenever they are able to. :-D

#6629 Hunter_Silver

Hunter_Silver

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

Dang I saw the borderlands 2 download link for 29.99 and was dissapointed to see it was for the mac version when i clicked it. Oh well, I've been working so much lately I would barely have time to play it anyway.

#6630 aceattorney

aceattorney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

Origin currently has the best price for BF3 + Premium at $35.