Photo
* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14964 replies to this topic

#6871 lnknprk

lnknprk

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

Actually, I read that the games don't have controller support. I would have probably bought it by now if they did. The steps people have taken to get controllers to work on games without support seem tedious and don't work 100% correctly anyways.

That's because Bioware uses a different interfaces for the PC version. I've tried using something like Xpadder to get a controller working for Mass Effect, but it just feels clunky because the interface is reworked for mouse and keyboard. Pausing the game and issuing commands is where you really start to see how clumsy it becomes. Moving a mouse around the screen with an analog stick is not very fun. That's why the console version uses a wheel.

I really don't understand why Bioware games have that issue though. I've played other games where the user interface is different on PC to accommodate a keyboard, but when you use a controller is reverts to the user interface that's on console. I understand why it isn't there for a game like Dragon Age: Origins, but then you get DA2 that seemed to be designed with consoles in mind, and it still doesn't support a controller.

#6872 faceless007

faceless007

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

If there are any fans of point-and-click adventures here, these are some pretty good deals, some of which are not listed in the OP. I haven't played any of these so I can't vouch for them. Tony, do you know when these sale prices will end?

Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder $2.50
Mata Hari $2.99
Alter Ego $1.74
Post-Mortem $2.99
Syberia II $2.99 (oddly the first one is still $9.99)
Secret Files: Tunguska $3.39
Secret Files 2 $3.39
Cursed Mountain $1.69
Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon $2.99
Dark Fall: Lights Out $1.24
Sinking Island $2.99

Lots more from this publisher

#6873 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

I am really, really torn on whether or not to pick up the Mass Effect Trilogy here rather than playing on my 360. Having only played a small portion of the first game I'd love to finally play these. I am fairly new to the PC gaming scene and a third person RPG shooter just seems like something that would be comfortable on a couch. On the other hand, I'm trying to slowly move toward PC gaming and this is a great deal with the coupon. I have no idea how it will feel playing such a game with a mouse/keyboard when I'm so used to playing games like this with a controller.

I'm going back through the trilogy right now in preparation for the final ME3 DLC. I actually have about 50 hours with ME2 on 360, probably about 400 hours on ME2/3 on PS3, and over 600 hours on ME1/2 on PC now, so I would say that in addition to being insane, I have some experience. Really, I'll say that it comes down to your personal game playing habits. Mass Effect plays 'fine' on console, but I'll say that it does play better on PC. Pretty much everything you would expect from PC vs console (graphics, etc.) are better. Standout issues would be that aiming is obviously more precise and with less effort using a mouse and with that goes issueing squad commands if you intend to micromanage. Also, the PC HUD is immensely better than the consoles 'power/weapon wheels'. And if you like your combat more fluid, the PC allows for more hotkeys. This is one of those series that everyone should play regardless of the format. Though if you have a PC, I personally would opt in that direction.

#6874 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

Mata Hari $2.99

This game is really bad. I'm having a hard time going back to it. The required dancing mini-game is a -1 out of 10, and the the rest of the game is like a 1/10.

And it was in a bundle recently. Same with Alter Ego.

#6875 Dalerax

Dalerax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:04 AM

I'm going back through the trilogy right now in preparation for the final ME3 DLC. I actually have about 50 hours with ME2 on 360, probably about 400 hours on ME2/3 on PS3, and over 600 hours on ME1/2 on PC now, so I would say that in addition to being insane, I have some experience. Really, I'll say that it comes down to your personal game playing habits. Mass Effect plays 'fine' on console, but I'll say that it does play better on PC. Pretty much everything you would expect from PC vs console (graphics, etc.) are better. Standout issues would be that aiming is obviously more precise and with less effort using a mouse and with that goes issueing squad commands if you intend to micromanage. Also, the PC HUD is immensely better than the consoles 'power/weapon wheels'. And if you like your combat more fluid, the PC allows for more hotkeys. This is one of those series that everyone should play regardless of the format. Though if you have a PC, I personally would opt in that direction.

Yeah, I'd say you're just the kind of experienced opinion I was looking for, heh. I originally thought I'd rather play it on 360 merely because that's what I'm so used to, but the 360 Trilogy hasn't been reduced at all and this is a pretty great price for the PC version. My PC is four years old (upgraded GPU since) but I believe it's decent enough to run all three games.

Thanks for your two cents. I figured originally that I'd just wait for the 360 version to drop considering the game was originally made for that platform, but with new consoles coming out soon I realized that it might make more sense to own it on PC.

#6876 Bizzquik

Bizzquik

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

I've been looking for a game to use the 25% off coupon with for a week. Couldn't pull the trigger on anything.

Tonight I used it on the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass. Took that $20 down to $15. And its a pre-order (rather than a pre-purchase) so I can cancel it anytime before March 26th if I change my mind. Sounds like a good deal.

Thanks, Tony!

Steam ID: Bizzquik
Xbox Live Gamertag: Bizzquik
PSN Network ID: Bummblue
WiiU ID: Bizzquik

Proud user of PinnacleGameProfiler: turning beloved keyboard+mouse PC games into controller-enabled, couch-friendly gaming experiences.

#6877 MADNESSSsss

MADNESSSsss

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

Thanks for all the awesome deals Tony :D

Got a 10$ off Software coupon from Amazon, guess one of you CAGs can use it >> 3XTW-G2G83V-5SLK4L << :D

#6878 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

hey everyone I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for games like Titan quest & and torchlight that they enjoyed

#6879 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

If there are any fans of point-and-click adventures here, these are some pretty good deals, some of which are not listed in the OP. I haven't played any of these so I can't vouch for them. Tony, do you know when these sale prices will end?

Mata Hari $2.99
Alter Ego $1.74
Post-Mortem $2.99
Secret Files 2 $3.39
Cursed Mountain $1.69
Sinking Island $2.99

I could get behind an Anuman pack, but I'm too cheap for $3 each, even with 25% off (never mind that I already have most of them).

#6880 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

That's because Bioware uses a different interfaces for the PC version. I've tried using something like Xpadder to get a controller working for Mass Effect, but it just feels clunky because the interface is reworked for mouse and keyboard. Pausing the game and issuing commands is where you really start to see how clumsy it becomes. Moving a mouse around the screen with an analog stick is not very fun. That's why the console version uses a wheel.

I really don't understand why Bioware games have that issue though. I've played other games where the user interface is different on PC to accommodate a keyboard, but when you use a controller is reverts to the user interface that's on console. I understand why it isn't there for a game like Dragon Age: Origins, but then you get DA2 that seemed to be designed with consoles in mind, and it still doesn't support a controller.

That's because Bioware is full of Fuck http://memedepot.com...53230725640.jpg (NSFW)

They are stupid. How hard would it be to just develop an internal switch that changes interfaces depending on control device is used?

Other developers do it.

This is what is keeping me from buying Dragon Age. Because of this. And I refuse to buy the console versions.

They better not pull this shit with their next games.

#6881 LN3000

LN3000

Companion Cube

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

I've been looking for a game to use the 25% off coupon with for a week. Couldn't pull the trigger on anything.

Tonight I used it on the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass. Took that $20 down to $15. And its a pre-order (rather than a pre-purchase) so I can cancel it anytime before March 26th if I change my mind. Sounds like a good deal.

How'd you manage that? I thought it was specifically stated that the code doesn't work for the season pass. I just checked, and it didn't work for me.

#6882 Bizzquik

Bizzquik

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

How'd you manage that? I thought it was specifically stated that the code doesn't work for the season pass. I just checked, and it didn't work for me.

Hmmm.... I don't know what to say. But it worked for me. After WA tax, it was $16.23.

Order #xxxxSubtotal of Items: $19.99 ------Total before Tax: $14.99 Sales Tax: $1.24 ------Total for this Order: $16.23
(to be charged on the release date)

Steam ID: Bizzquik
Xbox Live Gamertag: Bizzquik
PSN Network ID: Bummblue
WiiU ID: Bizzquik

Proud user of PinnacleGameProfiler: turning beloved keyboard+mouse PC games into controller-enabled, couch-friendly gaming experiences.

#6883 LN3000

LN3000

Companion Cube

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

Well, consider yourself lucky, I guess. :P

#6884 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Bioware has some weird fetish about not including controller support in their PC games unlike every other publisher has been doing for years. It's almost as if they think it might hide the very obviously designed around consoles nature of their more recent games. Someone from Bioware even had the nerve to say that it would ruin the integrity of Dragon Age 2 PC to support controllers. That game was designed around controllers. Who are they fooling?

Also, as you said, it's not that difficult to do separate UIs for controller and keyboard and mouse if they really want to. Topware did if for Two Worlds II and they don't have anywhere near EA's resources.

Mata Hari $2.99
Alter Ego $1.74
Post-Mortem $2.99
Secret Files 2 $3.39
Cursed Mountain $1.69
Sinking Island $2.99

Mata Hari and Alter Ego plus several other Viva Media games are in the Bundle Stars bundle right now at bundlestars.com for $5 and for those of us who prefer our games on Steam it's even better because you get Steam keys.

I almost never get those small to mid tier publisher games on Amazon because the pricing isn't usually competitive with the indie (or not so indie) bundles and unlike the bundles Amazon usually does not sell Steam keys for them.

I probably would buy the long discussed 1C complete (Steam) pack from Amazon if that ever comes out before I get all those games from indie bundles. And before I die.

This game is really bad. I'm having a hard time going back to it. The required dancing mini-game is a -1 out of 10, and the the rest of the game is like a 1/10.

And it was in a bundle recently. Same with Alter Ego.

I actually kind of like Mata Hari, but then I am drawn to oddball stuff and repulsed by popular stuff like Call of Duty. :-P

Anyway, it's something different than your usual pixel hunt adventure game. I liked that there's a lot of dialog and you need to interact with various people.

steam_sig.png

#6885 bosoxdanc

bosoxdanc

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Does anyone know if games get discounted at a set time? Really waiting for GW2, lol.
Thanks.
-Dan

#6886 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Does anyone know if games get discounted at a set time? Really waiting for GW2, lol.
Thanks.
-Dan

You have to compensate for the Hamsters. Usually takes an additional 20 minutes from midnight [PST]

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#6887 bosoxdanc

bosoxdanc

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

You have to compensate for the Hamsters. Usually takes an additional 20 minutes from midnight [PST]

Thank you. :)

GW2 is discounted. :D

#6888 LN3000

LN3000

Companion Cube

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

It's worth it. I've been enjoying the game (and they have a pretty solid Mac version, even though it hasn't been updated in ages, and is still technically beta, it works nice for me.)
Buying an extra copy tonight. :D (As I've probably said multiple times by now. Sorry for the repetition. Also planning on buying a few other games, after the CAGROCKS code is used)

#6889 bosoxdanc

bosoxdanc

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

It's worth it. I've been enjoying the game (and they have a pretty solid Mac version, even though it hasn't been updated in ages, and is still technically beta, it works nice for me.)
Buying an extra copy tonight. :D (As I've probably said multiple times by now. Sorry for the repetition. Also planning on buying a few other games, after the CAGROCKS code is used)

Thanks, can't wait to play it. :) My Steam library is already 450+... I need stop buying PC games (well, games in general, since my backlog is huge across all platforms, lol)

#6890 LN3000

LN3000

Companion Cube

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

My Steam library is already 450+... I need stop buying PC games since my backlog is huge across all platforms

Ugh, you're telling me. I don't even want to think about all the money I've spent on games that I've not yet played, or not played as much as I'd like to.
Luckily I have a very flexible schedule that lets me play a lot of games (if I'm not distracted by buying more stuff. UGH! THE AMAZON CURSE)

#6891 atheistatic

atheistatic

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Yup just snagged my copy for $30.00...
Great price...

#6892 dilemna

dilemna

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

bought it also. actually got a few hours to spend trying it out. excited.

#6893 Deques

Deques

CAG Noob Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Just want to be sure about guild wars 2 before buying it. I am from Sweden, can I buy the US version and play it?

#6894 smurfinaus

smurfinaus

GOGger's Unite!! :)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Whats the big deal about GW2? Don't really understand the hype..
Posted Image

#6895 bluelark

bluelark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Whats the big deal about GW2? Don't really understand the hype..

Because it's a good game and getting it half off is a good deal? lol

#6896 grognard66

grognard66

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

I also picked up Guild Wars 2 for $30 - great deal!
Posted Image

#6897 Stonekeep

Stonekeep

ThePizzaDude

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

How's Majesty Gold?

#6898 SadExchange82

SadExchange82

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Just wanted to ask, when trying to purchase Dragon's Dogma for the PS3, why won't the CAGROCKS code work?

#6899 poxi

poxi

something went wrong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Just wanted to ask, when trying to purchase Dragon's Dogma for the PS3, why won't the CAGROCKS code work?

code only applies additional discount to digital games.

#6900 SadExchange82

SadExchange82

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

code applies additional discount only to digital games.

Ahh, thank you for the response