Photo
* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14964 replies to this topic

#6991 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

I thought you also got installer downloads. So Origin wouldn't be required?

I don't know about Origin but sometimes with the Steam stuff you technically get an installer download but when you actually run it it just pops up a web page that just gives you the key anyway and tells you to go activate it on Steam.

I'd imagine it may be the same for Origin, but I haven't bought any EA stuff from Amazon recently.

steam_sig.png

#6992 Luckz

Luckz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

http://store.steampo....com/app/34870/ is $30, $40 for deluxe/SE
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00AWSPCPI/ is $40 for the base game?

#6993 Foxhack

Foxhack

Bad at math

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

Here's an interesting bit I got when I activated the Mac BL2 Mechromancer key on my game.

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=129948394

It gave me an extra Shift key -and- some extra startup items. I have no idea why it did that.

foxhack.jpg
List your game collection at VGCollect! It's free! Come, we have cookies!

#6994 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's Favorite DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

Mmh I bought the Dead Space Bundle and what I received is keys for Origin so I don't know where you got that from.

Depends on what you mean here. We're gonna get technical here.

In the beginning - EADM (EA Download Manager), which was later re-branded to Origin - was often an optional service.
If you bought a game at retail or for download from somewhere other than EA, you could just download the game from wherever you bought it from. Never had to deal w/ EADM/Origin, if you didn't want to.
It was an extra option - and if you wanted to, you could download EADM/Origin program from EA.

Later on, this changed. If you wanted to, you could take your key you got from somewhere else (Direct2Drive, Amazon DVG, etc) and then optionally activate a game over Origin.
Though, most games back then, you could run the game w/out Origin ever going/running in the background.

Origin program is now REQUIRED to download, install, and run in the background to run many of those recent EA-published games that were released AFTER Battlefield 3.

About Dead Space 1 & 2 - that's before BF3. After you've download, activated, and installed it - you do NOT need Origin running in the background while you're running the game.
Though, it is probably best you activate the key up over Origin; let Origin do the download and install for those games - just easier and more painless that way, normally.

It's just easier that way to let Origin do everything for you, for any EA-published products - especially b/c installs for games specifically from them are easy and streamlined. You don't ever need to back-up your original installer-files (like say GOG) or let it compress any special game files (Steam, Impulse/GameStop PC App). With EA-published games from Origin - you can just copy your actual installed game-folder elsewhere (for back-up - like on a DVDs, BR discs, another HDD, whatever).
For reinstalls - just copy and paste that actual game folder to where you want it to go on the HDD; and always just run the EXE file that's within the "INSTALLER" folder.

#6995 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

Depends on what you mean here. We're gonna get technical here.

In the beginning - EADM (EA Download Manager), which was later re-branded to Origin - was often an optional service.
If you bought a game at retail or for download from somewhere other than EA, you could just download the game from wherever. Never had to deal w/ EADM/Origin, if you didn't want to. It was an extra option - and if you wanted to, you could download EADM/Origin program from EA.

Spoiler

EADM was used for downloading/installing game updates. It's the reason that my older EA (racing) games are tied to some rubbish throw-away account and not my current Origin account. Not like I'm bitter or anything...

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#6996 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's Favorite DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

EADM was used for downloading/installing game updates.

...And that reason, too.

It's the reason that my older EA (racing) games are tied to some rubbish throw-away account and not my current Origin account. Not like I'm bitter or anything...

I remember in the early days, when EADM was released and it was only supposed to allow you to do full-blown game re-downloads on the program for like 30 days after you bought a game over EADM or activated a game over EADM. :-x
Of course, they decided to try to compete with Steam, so they removed that silly limit. :P

#6997 bluelark

bluelark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

LOL same boat.

I will offer this to anyone interested in GW2 but maybe on the fence. Since it has no subscriptions it's nice. And if you want anyone to play with I am more than willing to do that. I don't have any friends really currently playing it so I'm up for playing with people. I like playing around in groups or at least some sort of party whether it's a true party or just running around together in the game. I find it makes it much more enjoyable especially if you can get in vent or ts or something together to actually talk

#6998 cheaphuck

cheaphuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:07 AM

Does the "cagrocks" promo end at 3AM on the 27th or the 28th? I'm never sure with these things.

#6999 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

I see the DRM is listed as "mixed." So that means it's Origin only, right?

How many times do people have to answer this?

It's NOT Origin only. The Dead Space 1 & 2 games do NOT repeat NOT require Origin. Even if you download these games from Origin, the DRM for these games is either Solidshield or SecuROM activation.

You can get EA's DRM management tool for these games at http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/

#7000 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

As we say farewell to our shortest month, I have one more chance to inquire from Tony whether
Raven Squad: Hidden Dagger [Download]_-_4.9875

is going to be sold during this sale as stated in the OP?

Retail key entries were recently added to the Steam CDR, so I'm ready to buy if Amazon ended up with some.

...It gave me an extra Shift key -and- some extra startup items. I have no idea why it did that.

Mechromancer includes the preorder bonus items.

#7001 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

Mmh I bought the Dead Space Bundle and what I received is keys for Origin so I don't know where you got that from.

What you got are keys to activate the SecuROM or Solidshield DRM for the games. You can download and install the games from Amazon and then enter the keys during installation. Or, you can download the games from Origin, and those same keys will activate the SecuROM or Solidshield activation for you by reading them from the Windows registry where Origin placed them.

#7002 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

This is correct. I bought Dead Space 1 & 2 individually a couple of years ago from Amazon game downloads, and that is what I got. I doubt that has changed since EA didn't retrofit its previously released games to require Origin and use Origin's DRM.

Games that predate Origin don't require it even if you download the game from Origin. I have Medal of Honor (2010) from Origin and from Amazon game downloads, and both versions of the game are identical right down to their use of SecuROM DRM.

#7003 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

Has that sidebar thing (Farewell to February Top Deals) on the sale page been there the whole time? Just noticed it.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#7004 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

Picked up Dead Space 1 and 2, and Bulletstorm. Bulletstorm looks a treat at 2560x1440, played with the 360 controller. YUM! All three games activated on ORIGIN, for those confused.

Cheers again to Tony. He da man. Which man? DA man.
www.bighugenerd.com

#7005 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

EADM was used for downloading/installing game updates. It's the reason that my older EA (racing) games are tied to some rubbish throw-away account and not my current Origin account. Not like I'm bitter or anything...

I have vague recollections of their being some process to merge the various old EA accounts from all over the place into your Origin account.

Of course I can't seem to find the page now. It was an old ea.com 'my account' page which has been replaced with the Origin one and I no longer see the option to link another EA account on the Origin account page.

steam_sig.png

#7006 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

I'd imagine it may be the same for Origin

Amazon's EA downloads are identical to EA's installers for physical disc. Games that require Origin like Syndicate work better to just install from Origin since Origin's files are more updated if the game has been updated. It saves bandwidth and time.

For older EA games that don't require Origin like Dead Space 1 & 2, I prefer to use Amazon's installers since Origin is just one more piece of software to get in the way of playing the game since the game doesn't use it.

#7007 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

All three games activated on ORIGIN, for those confused.

Download and activation on Origin for those three games is optional.

#7008 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Does the "cagrocks" promo end at 3AM on the 27th or the 28th? I'm never sure with these things.

Pretty sure that it runs through Feb 28th. Which means as I post this, there's about 25 1/2 hour left.

Has that sidebar thing (Farewell to February Top Deals) on the sale page been there the whole time? Just noticed it.

I couldn't say. I'm just now noticing it now that you've pointed it out. That might be because it's new. Or it could just be because you and I are a couple of unobservant bastards.

#7009 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

I have vague recollections of their being some process to merge the various old EA accounts from all over the place into your Origin account.

Of course I can't seem to find the page now. It was an old ea.com 'my account' page which has been replaced with the Origin one and I no longer see the option to link another EA account on the Origin account page.

Hmm, thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I've read unpleasant forum posts of people unsuccessfully merging Origin accounts. I've also been a bit laissez faire about it.

Amazon's EA downloads are identical to EA's installers for physical disc. Games that require Origin like Syndicate work better to just install from Origin since Origin's files are more updated if the game has been updated. It saves bandwidth and time.

For older EA games that don't require Origin like Dead Space 1 & 2, I prefer to use Amazon's installers since Origin is just one more piece of software to get in the way of playing the game since the game doesn't use it.

If it activates on origin, I prefer to download from origin (no matter how old). Origin reliably utilizes all my 6 Mb/s, Amazon, however, does not always use all my 6 Mb/s bandwidth. (Sarcasm directed at the fact that the best connection available to me is 6 Mb/s despite the fact that I can see Facebook from my backyard.)

Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

#7010 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

P

Spoiler
I couldn't say. I'm just now noticing it now that you've pointed it out. That might be because it's new. Or it could just be because you and I are a couple of unobservant bastards.

I'd say informed bastards. Tony's OP here is more useful than the DVG front page.

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#7011 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

Download and activation on Origin for those three games is optional.

Why would you not want to activate them on Origin anyway? Fact is, Origin and Steam are staples in the PC DD world, so it's nice to see things all organized there.
www.bighugenerd.com

#7012 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

Why would you not want to activate them on Origin anyway? Fact is, Origin and Steam are staples in the PC DD world, so it's nice to see things all organized there.

I think he may be under the misconception that Origin is always DRM. This fall I finally picked up NFS: Prostreet for $4 on the Origin store. I downloaded it and installed it through origin. I had to add it to the Origin launcher menu manually. (And no, it does not require Origin to run.)

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#7013 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Why would you not want to activate them on Origin anyway?

Origin adds an extra layer of hassle and more files and registry entries to a game installation. I prefer the simplicity and cleaness of a traditional game installer especially when the game uses another form of DRM instead of Origin as those games do.

so it's nice to see things all organized there.

That's what the Windows Start Menu and Game Explorer are for. Running an extra piece of software like Steam or Origin to get a list of playable games that you can already get natively in Windows is ridiculous. In addition while game clients like Steam and Origin may seem to organize games to people who don't know much about computers or don't like to get their hands dirty they are actually pretty inefficient. For example Steam and Origin waste disk space by storing installation files and restributables/runtime libraries like DirectX, PhysX, XNA, OpenAL, etc. with every damn game when they only need to be installed on a system once and even when they are obsolete versions. And, they also waste time trying to reinstalll these redistributables with every game installation and sometimes even when you just launch a game that has already been installed. In addition if you use game mods or like to otherwise modify your game files or if you delete extraneously language files etc. from your game installations to save space both Steam and Origin will redownload and overwrite your changes to original game files every time a game automatically updates. Origin does a better job at preventing this becase it's automatic update function for games can truly be disabled whereas Steam's is really just a pause button that won't always stay off. But, the bottom line is that the more you like to work with and on your games, the less you will like automated, inflexible game clients like Steam and Origin interfering with your games.

In any case I mentioned that Origin is optional because some people hate Origin and won't buy games which require it.

Edited by cutter2, 28 February 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#7014 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Origin adds an extra layer of hassle and more files and registry entries to a game installation. I prefer the simplicity and cleaness of a traditional game installer especially when the game uses another form of DRM instead of Origin as those games do.

In any case I mentioned that Origin is optional because some people hate Origin and won't buy games which require it.

Not sure how it's any more hassle than Steam. I actually find Steam more intrusive with its pop-up ads etc. Either way, Origin is a fact of gaming life now. I've learned to just deal with it.
www.bighugenerd.com

#7015 icefiresr

icefiresr

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

You can disable ANY pop-ups. It is in the settings.

#7016 Pheace

Pheace

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

I actually find Steam more intrusive with its pop-up ads etc.

You know it takes one checkmark in settings to turn that off right?

#7017 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Nope, I was wrong. It's some misguided personal ideological flame war thing. All the arguments are invalid because: Comand Line >> GUIs. Mac >> PC. Linux >> Mac. Emacs >> Vi. ...

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#7018 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

You can disable ANY pop-ups. It is in the settings.

You know it takes one checkmark in settings to turn that off right?

Interesting. I thought I'd looked, but apparently not. Will have to look again. :)

But don't get me started on moving Steam game folders. Nightmare! And yes I've tried the third-party movers and they broke my installs. Boo. It's not all roses with Steam is all I'm saying. In any case, thanks for the pop-up disabling advice.
www.bighugenerd.com

#7019 Pheace

Pheace

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

But don't get me started on moving Steam game folders. Nightmare! And yes I've tried the third-party movers and they broke my installs. Boo. It's not all roses with Steam is all I'm saying. In any case, thanks for the pop-up disabling advice.

Why would you move an install folder?

Except maybe for SSD's for the rare games that benefit from that, SteamMover worked fine for me for that.

#7020 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

That's trivial.

Why would you move an install folder?
Except maybe for SSD's for the rare games that benefit from that, SteamMover worked fine for me for that.

Laptops, external drives. Moving to a new machine/OS. Just move and SymLink to move a game.

Amazon $5 off w/EC List