Photo
* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14964 replies to this topic

#7021 Pheace

Pheace

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Moving to a new machine/OS.

For that one you just move the whole folder and start Steam, done. No symlinking required :)

#7022 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

For that one you just move the whole folder and start Steam, done. No symlinking required :)

I like my apps on an SSD, and the games elsewhere. It was a darn nightmare for me. The links got all messed up. I gave up after numerous hours of trying to move game folders unsuccessfully. Ended up redownloading my games. Oh well. So it goes.
www.bighugenerd.com

#7023 bluelark

bluelark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Laptops, external drives. Moving to a new machine/OS. Just move and SymLink to move a game.

Honestly if you're switching computers or copying game installs the most I've ever had to do is copy my installation folders and run the game install process via Steam and it works fine. Maybe copy files from MyDocs for the few games that use it, or delete config files if the systems aren't compatible (1920x1080 res on one system to one that can't support that). Not saying there can't ever be issues with that situation but just saying the numerous times I've done it I've had no issues with it as far as that goes. Worst thing was the wait of transferring 200gb or more lol. Steam "downloads" everything but because it sees all the files there already the actual download is minimal if at all.

#7024 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

It's just easier that way to let Origin do everything for you, for any EA-published products - especially b/c installs for games specifically from them are easy and streamlined. You don't ever need to back-up your original installer-files (like say GOG) or let it compress any special game files (Steam, Impulse/GameStop PC App). With EA-published games from Origin - you can just copy your actual installed game-folder elsewhere (for back-up - like on a DVDs, BR discs, another HDD, whatever).
For reinstalls - just copy and paste that actual game folder to where you want it to go on the HDD; and always just run the EXE file that's within the "INSTALLER" folder.

I don't use Origin much, but what you describe sounds really painless and straightforward -- thanks! I have a ton of old ea games on physical disc, and I should probably activate all of them on origin, where possible. I saw there is an activation tool for older titles on their site, but I think there are still numerous titles where you need to contact customer support. Also, I remember trying to activate my Mass Effect 1 key, but the game didn't show up on my game list, so I still had to contact them. I hope there aren't a lot of titles that require contacting customer support, or that they can fully automate the activation process like Steam does.

#7025 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

So it's settled, if you hate clients like Steam or Origin you're some nutso guy out in the middle of the woods with foil on your head to block "the transmissions".

Got it

Editor in chief at PanicGamer.com
Steam ID: TheRealJaysonguy
We're looking for people who want to review games, interested? Email: jobs@panicgamer.com

#7026 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I rarely use Origin but I register everything EA there that I can anyway. For games that come with an old style installed you should be able to just enter the key into Origin to add it to your account, then not download it and just install the game outside of Origin. If you do that it won't add any Origin registry entries or anything like that.

I have all my Steam EA games (almost; a couple came with no keys) registered to Origin but they aren't installed there, they are still installed through Steam. Origin is just the backup. I'd personally always rather have a backup plan if that's an option. For some games, like Sims 3, it gives me more flexibility because if I do decide to buy an expansion outside of Steam someday I can always just install the game through Origin.

As for moving directories on Steam, if you have trouble with that there are programs that automate the process. Steam Mover is the one I use and it does work.

Thankfully, Steam added the ability to install games to an alternate drive a little bit ago so I've had to use that program less since then but some games are still on the old file system so it's still handy.

#7027 Luckz

Luckz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Tony, I hope you are already negotiating to have http://www.arma3.com/buy on Amazon on March 5?

#7028 Alamo

Alamo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I really don't mind programs like Uplay and Origin, nothing intrusive or annoying about them, one extra click won't hurt me. Not even programs like GFWL have phased me yet, I actually like the whole Xbox integration with Friends List and Achievements available on PC. I must be in a really exclusive minority here.

#7029 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

I really don't mind programs like Uplay and Origin, nothing intrusive or annoying about them, one extra click won't hurt me. Not even programs like GFWL have phased me yet, I actually like the whole Xbox integration with Friends List and Achievements available on PC. I must be in a really exclusive minority here.

Yea we're surrounded by nutsos in tin foil hats here on CAG

#7030 Luckz

Luckz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

I use Steam + Origin + GfWL + Raptr + Xfire + ... and back in the day I used Impulse before that was bought by some evil empire. I had Direct2Drive's terrible software as well, Gamespy Comrade I think. Plus the EA Download Manager thing that preceded Origin.

Now, anybody have a suggestion what I could do with my 25%?
Showdown Effect looks tolerable, but Amazon don't have the 4pack and that game will have $900 of DLC (see Magicka). Company of Heroes 2 looks like a pile of microtransactions waiting to happen (unless SEGA reverse the direction THQ were steering it in). Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 is way too expensive on Amazon. Impire is a time management game more than a dungeon sim. Metro Last Light and Tomb Raider and similar would only get added to my backlog of SP games I don't play. Didn't like the first Dead Island, and the new Sim City looks more like Sims Village scope-wise.

At this rate I could only buy myself Black Ops 2 DLC that none of my friends will get, or buy my girlfriend the base game that she won't play because LoL is the only videogame she needs in her life.

I can't buy pay2win credits for Mechwarrior Online, Warframe, League of Legends because Amazon don't sell them.

Help!

#7031 styl3s

styl3s

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

I use Steam + Origin + GfWL + Raptr + Xfire + ... and back in the day I used Impulse before that was bought by some evil empire. I had Direct2Drive's terrible software as well, Gamespy Comrade I think. Plus the EA Download Manager thing that preceded Origin.

Now, anybody have a suggestion what I could do with my 25%?
Showdown Effect looks tolerable, but Amazon don't have the 4pack and that game will have $900 of DLC (see Magicka). Company of Heroes 2 looks like a pile of microtransactions waiting to happen (unless SEGA reverse the direction THQ were steering it in). Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 is way too expensive on Amazon. Impire is a time management game more than a dungeon sim. Metro Last Light and Tomb Raider and similar would only get added to my backlog of SP games I don't play. Didn't like the first Dead Island, and the new Sim City looks more like Sims Village scope-wise.

At this rate I could only buy myself Black Ops 2 DLC that none of my friends will get, or buy my girlfriend the base game that she won't play because LoL is the only videogame she needs in her life.

I can't buy pay2win credits for Mechwarrior Online, Warframe, League of Legends because Amazon don't sell them.

Help!

Have you tried looking for just a game that really interest you? Who cares what your friends will play or your girlfriend.

Treat yourself to a game you have been wanting or expand your gaming horizon. Have you tried Binary Domain? Fantastic game that is $4.99 before the code.

#7032 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

For what it's worth, I've actually run into situations like UPlay being down when I wanted to play a game (you actually can run it in offline mode but only if you've connected to UPlay once and activated the game; needless to say I do that right away now when I get a UPlay based game) or the Bioware Social account forgetting I owned the Dragon Age:Origins DLC, thus I was unable to load my saved which had depedencies on the DLC etc. I've read of people having real issues with GFWL too. It's not all tinfoil hat stuff.

The other piece of it is just that the more games you get (and these sales encourage getting a ton!) the easier it is to just have them all in one place ideally or barring that as few places as possible.

I still personally prefer getting a game on a client than clientless downloads (and if you don't that's fine too. Yes I know you can add a Steam shortcut and make a spreadsheet etc. I don't want to do that. Let's not argue about this again please. That means you too MysterD :-P) but in terms of preference I personally put Steam first, then Desura, then Big Fish (shut up). Games tied to Origin and UPlay only for me are more of a 'if it's free or cheap and I really want the game and don't have much other choice'.

That said, in cases where I can have a game say on Steam and still redeem it to Origin I will always do so as a backup.

Anyway TL;DR Everyone has their reasons for wanting/not wanting their games tied to a particular client. Let's just let people spend their money how they want please. Thanks.

#7033 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I have vague recollections of their being some process to merge the various old EA accounts from all over the place into your Origin account.

Of course I can't seem to find the page now. It was an old ea.com 'my account' page which has been replaced with the Origin one and I no longer see the option to link another EA account on the Origin account page.

Well, if I log into EA.com, I still have something like eight different identities corresponding to different pre-Origin EA games I have like NWN and Spore. I wish they would do something to fix that!
698770.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#7034 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Well, if I log into EA.com, I still have something like eight different identities corresponding to different pre-Origin EA games I have like NWN and Spore. I wish they would do something to fix that!

I wonder if you could email them and ask? I had two Goozex accounts, one with tokens and one with points. Asked them if they could merge them and they actually did so it never hurts.

Clients are clients. If you start limiting yourself to one or another of these publisher based ones you will end up either losing out on deals or on games period. They're all the same to me, they all have their ups and downs, and they all have their flaws and periods of down time. Steam included.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#7035 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

I almost feel like I am hallucinating it now but I swear at one point there was a page where I was able to link my Sims and Bioware and Ultima Online and EA.com and a couple of other minor accounts that were under the EA umbrella.

It seems to be gone now though. I looked and looked but couldn't find it.

You could try support like Fox said but from what I've been reading in some of the EA help threads you may get different answers from different people there and it's very much YMMV. If you're persistent enough you might be able to get someone to merge those accounts. Just depends if it's worth the potiential hassle to you.

#7036 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

So it's settled, if you hate clients like Steam or Origin you're some nutso guy out in the middle of the woods with foil on your head to block "the transmissions".

Got it

Nah, It's when one preaches that to others as The One True Path. It's like Cannibalism, if you start preaching it's benefits, western society will shun, whereas if you don't peach about it you can integrate into society (or menu, depending on your perspective) without changing your beliefs.

FYI, to block Origin and Uplay you need something more conductive than tin or aluminium, copper and gold work well. ^_~

For what it's worth, I've actually run into situations like UPlay being down when I wanted to play a game (you actually can run it in offline mode but only if you've connected to UPlay once and activated the game; needless to say I do that right away now when I get a UPlay based game) or the Bioware Social account forgetting I owned the Dragon Age:Origins DLC, thus I was unable to load my saved which had depedencies on the DLC etc. I've read of people having real issues with GFWL too. It's not all tinfoil hat stuff.

The other piece of it is just that the more games you get (and these sales encourage getting a ton!) the easier it is to just have them all in one place ideally or barring that as few places as possible.

Spoiler

I've been surprised at the number of times I've seen Uplay servers down in the last two years, it's never stopped me from playing anything, but you don't get Uplay points from in-game achievements (usually story-linked). Uplay points are useful since you can buy some pieces of DLC with them.

I completely agree, the more games you have the more useful clients are.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#7037 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Well, I am a bad CAG. I still haven't used my coupon and don't know what to blow my money on!

#7038 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Just depends if it's worth the potiential hassle to you.

Yeah, it probably isn't; I just hadn't groused about anything EA-related in a few months so I was starting to get rusty. The reality is I pretty much never log onto EA.com for any reason unless it's by accident (and then I flee as quickly as my mouse will carry me).
698770.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#7039 deftrance

deftrance

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

I ended up picking up the Amazon Download version of Dead Space 1 and 2 bundle. Added it to Origin, as well.

#7040 oxidative

oxidative

last chance to evacuate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Well, I am a bad CAG. I still haven't used my coupon and don't know what to blow my money on!

Me too! :-#

#7041 deftrance

deftrance

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Has anyone seen a better price for the Drakensang pack? I know it's not Digital DL, which I would prefer... but hey!

http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=

#7042 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Has anyone seen a better price for the Drakensang pack? I know it's not Digital DL, which I would prefer... but hey!

That's the best I've seen it. I picked it up for $10 on fleabay in August. Retail version is DRM-FREE.

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#7043 targetbsp

targetbsp

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I like my apps on an SSD, and the games elsewhere. It was a darn nightmare for me. The links got all messed up. I gave up after numerous hours of trying to move game folders unsuccessfully. Ended up redownloading my games. Oh well. So it goes.

In case you're unaware, Steam can do this for you now for about 98% of the games on it. You can setup one steamapps folder per drive and any title using the New Content System can be installed to any one of them.

#7044 ArchMorlock

ArchMorlock

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Any chance for a price match on GameStop's "Majesty Franchise" bundle?

http://www.gamestop....e-bundle/103204

I'd much rather get it from Amazon and maybe even use the coupon. Missed the bundle last time around and figured I'd pick up a couple of the games individually (until I saw this bundle sale).

#7045 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

It's been $10.19 on Gamersgate before so if you are patient it may go back to that price and you might even be able to find someone with the 20% discount to buy it and gift it to you.

http://www.steamgame...g-complete-pack

But otherwise that is a pretty decent price.

It might also be worth noting that Valve realized the ridulousness of making DTP put TRoT up on Greenlight and removed it stating that they would be working with DTP to get it up (and presumably Drakensang 1 too since that is also already on Steam).

I don't know that this will effect those of us in the US at all though since as far as I can tell Valusoft still has the rights to it here.

It may end up being in a bundle someday but I haven't seen anything Valusoft in bundles yet that I can recall and the fact that it has different publishers for different regions complicates things.

DTP are the original owners of it though so I'm not sure how their contract to Valusoft (which was THQ at the time) is setup and if the US rights revert back to DTP after a certain period of time.

TL;DR: If you're going to play it soon that's a good price.

#7046 Stonekeep

Stonekeep

ThePizzaDude

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

What? retail is always better than DRM free when it's cheaper.

#7047 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

What? retail is always better than DRM free when it's cheaper.

As I said:

Retail version is DRM-FREE.

#7048 Stonekeep

Stonekeep

ThePizzaDude

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

As I said:

Even better then.

#7049 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

Unless you're like me and have a habit of not backing up your discs and then losing them. ;)

But yeah, seriously that is a good deal, especially if you have Prime of through another $15 worth of stuff from Amazon in your cart to get the free super saver shipping. There's a lot of content there for $10.

#7050 teknikalei

teknikalei

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

Just pulled the trigger on Guild Wars 2. Cuz, you know, my backlog isn't big enough. At least I got a good price on it. Thanks Tony.