Photo
* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14964 replies to this topic

#7051 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Every now and then I still like to buy a disc game to feel nostalgic. I usually go to HPB just to avoid shipping fees, but there's usually a ton of good deals on Amazon too.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#7052 lnknprk

lnknprk

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

For older EA games that don't require Origin like Dead Space 1 & 2, I prefer to use Amazon's installers since Origin is just one more piece of software to get in the way of playing the game since the game doesn't use it.

For games that don't require Origin open to play I use both. I activate the game on Origin, then download it from Amazon since theirs tend to be smaller because of how they pack the files. Install the game, and when I open Origin it picks up that the game has been installed. I don't need to have Origin open to play the game, but I might as well add it to my Origin library since it makes it easier to get my games back if something happens to my PC.

It looks like it's just one more piece of software to get in the way, but after a certain point you'll have enough games where it's actually a piece of software that gets you to your game quicker.

Every now and then I still like to buy a disc game to feel nostalgic. I usually go to HPB just to avoid shipping fees, but there's usually a ton of good deals on Amazon too.

I buy all my Blizzard games on disc. Diable 3 and StarCraft 2 came with some cool notepads. Diablo 3s was especially usefull for working the AH and RMAH.

#7053 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Unless you're like me and have a habit of not backing up your discs and then losing them. ;)

Now where did I put that disc?

Not so different from:

Now what site do I have that game on?

#7054 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

FWIW I have bought a few disc based games on Amazon lately.

Anno 1404 Gold - $11.90 (not on Steam and the retail is DRM free IF you apply the latest patch prior to playing it)
Viva Pinata - $5.50 (because I missed the danged GFWL cheap sale on it)
Dungeon Siege 2: Broken World expansion - $3.99 (it will install on top of the Steam version of DS2 with some minor modifications)

Some of these do fluctuate slightly in price too so if it's a bit more than you want to pay you can always set up an camelcamelcamel price alert for them.

That works for Digital Downloads too. They show up as 3rd party for some reason, but I can confirm I had a camelcamelcamel alert on a couple of Amazon DD games and did get email notifications when they went on sale.

steam_sig.png

#7055 georgebot84

georgebot84

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

I buy all my Blizzard games on disc. Diable 3 and StarCraft 2 came with some cool notepads. Diablo 3s was especially usefull for working the AH and RMAH.

not to mention that the boxes are purty.

#7056 puffy

puffy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

+ using discs makes organization much easier ,when having some 100s of games

+ boxes take no space at all

installing retail games and updating is a breeze also, takes no time too :-({|=

#7057 bluelark

bluelark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

I really don't mind programs like Uplay and Origin, nothing intrusive or annoying about them, one extra click won't hurt me. Not even programs like GFWL have phased me yet, I actually like the whole Xbox integration with Friends List and Achievements available on PC. I must be in a really exclusive minority here.

At the core I don't mind them. I didn't like Uplay because what was wrong with me using Steam? It's just a nuisance to need 18 different apps to do the same thing just because the games are different publishers or whatever. Also wasn't a huge fan of their always online DRM.

I DO enjoy GFWL though because it's just an integration within the game, it's not forcing me to run some other program just to get my game started. It also serves a purpose by allowing me to be social with my 360 friends without requiring me to be on the site or on the console. The one thing that could make it better is allowing you to join a party or do private chat with someone who is on 360 while you're on PC. Aside from that, honestly I have no complaints other than the 30 seconds of inconvenience it takes to sign me in to my Live account. But that's miniscule and a nitpick.

I'm more bothered by the fact they made BF3 require you to use your browser to play... that's the one that bothers me the most and that's not really DRM. I don't know why an in game menu and browser wasn't good enough.

#7058 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

At the core I don't mind them. I didn't like Uplay because what was wrong with me using Steam? It's just a nuisance to need 18 different apps to do the same thing just because the games are different publishers or whatever.

This is getting a bit off on a tangent, but I think there is a real need for an open source client. Something along the lines of Desura but with a lot more to it so that most publishers would (hopefully) want to use it. It would also need to not be tied to any one particular company so that there could be no squabbling about not wanting to put your game on a competitor's site etc.

Gabe Newell actually made reference to something like that in some recent interview comments but I kind of think that is just Gabe being Gabe and I really don't expect much to come of it.

steam_sig.png

#7059 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Damn CAGROCKS code no longer works :(

#7060 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Eh? It should work for another 10 hours or so.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#7061 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

It still works for me.

Yes, bigger and brighter letters. I win! ^_~

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#7062 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

It still works for me.

Yes, bigger and brighter letters. I win! ^_~

I hereby request that the next discount code only be valid when entered in a very large bright red font.

steam_sig.png

#7063 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Haha sorry about that, you do win. I had it copy and pasted from the first post to paste into Amazon. I tried it but says invalid. I ordered what I wanted and emailed amazon CS. They are usually pretty good about this stuff, so hopefully they can apply it for me.

#7064 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Haha sorry about that, you do win. I had it copy and pasted from the first post to paste into Amazon. I tried it but says invalid. I ordered what I wanted and emailed amazon CS. They are usually pretty good about this stuff, so hopefully they can apply it for me.

It's one time use would be the only other reason it might not work. And digital games only.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#7065 Zoenic

Zoenic

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Hi, anyone here preordered Black Ops 2 Seasson pass?

I get this message

Sorry, processing of this order is taking longer than expected
• This order may take up to 4 hours to process but usually will take less than an hour
• Please do not re-order this item
• Once your order is complete, you can download your purchase here. We will also send the download link to your e-mail address
• For more information, contact us

I used the code CAGROCKS, may is for this reason? Im very impatient already waited 1 hour, do you think that will be processed?? so CAGROCKS still works? i could order it again.:wall:

#7066 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Hi, anyone here preordered Black Ops 2 Seasson pass?

I get this message

• This order may take up to 4 hours to process but usually will take less than an hour
• Once your order is complete, you can download your purchase here. We will also send the download link to your e-mail address

I used the code CAGROCKS, may is for this reason? Im very impatient already waited 1 hour, do you think that will be processed?? so CAGROCKS still works? i could order it again.:wall:

Just wait. I usually get that response, even though I'm based in the same state as Amazon PCDD. IMO, it's usually based on your method of payment just taking longer than usual. Should clear up in an hour.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#7067 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hmm, I was hoping something with stronger appeal would should up, but I'm leaning toward getting the Guns, Boots, & Wheels pack for $4 w/ my cagrocks code. Given my barely-touched TSW purchase, I don't think I'm paying $30 to not play GW2. (It's not that TSW doesn't appeal to me, more that I take my MMOs *seriously* and well, I just haven't put forth the effort yet on TSW.)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Congratulations! You're the lucky winner of a random security check!

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#7068 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Congratulations! You're the lucky winner of a random security check!

Is that what that is? If so, I wonder why....
I've made several purchases over the years with the same account [I'm based in WA state], and I almost always get that message.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

#7069 27526343157187946075

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

If I in the US buy a game and get the key from Amazon, can I give it to a friend in another country without worrying about region differences? I ask because of the whole "Downloading: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States and who have a U.S. billing address." that shows on all the digital downloads.

#7070 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Alright, besides GW2 and Binary Domain, what should I use the code on? I'm at a loss here.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#7071 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Alright, besides GW2 and Binary Domain, what should I use the code on? I'm at a loss here.

Bulletstorm, jagged alliance 2 (complete)

#7072 shrinerr

shrinerr

Now whatcha gon' do wit it?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

SimCity. I'm gonna build so much low-income housing :)

#7073 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Bulletstorm, jagged alliance 2 (complete)

Already have Bulletstorm. Hasn't Jagged Alliance 2 been cheaper than this?

bZ2g3eF.png

#7074 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Already have Bulletstorm. Hasn't Jagged Alliance 2 been cheaper than this?

Well if Tony ever gets that Strategy First bundle going...

steam_sig.png

#7075 tjs09

tjs09

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

I'm seriously too lazy to hunt down something interesting to use the code on..

Turning in my CAG card.

76561198039756693.png

#7076 CheapAssJoe

CheapAssJoe

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

I couldn't find anything either. I think I'll be getting the Dead Island Upgrade Pack since I've always wanted to play Bloodbath Arena DLC.

76561198008858958.pngAddFriend.png

#7077 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

cant find anything worth using it on either..
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#7078 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

I'm seriously too lazy to hunt down something interesting to use the code on..

Turning in my CAG card.

I'm using my code on Binary Domain; unless others can point to a better game/deal

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

#7079 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Well if Tony ever gets that Strategy First bundle going...

He said there was going to be a big Meridian4 bundle, but I guess that didn't happen?

bZ2g3eF.png

#7080 tjs09

tjs09

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

I'm using my code on Binary Domain; unless others can point to a better game/deal

Already played it. Thrice. Great game.

76561198039756693.png