Photo
* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14964 replies to this topic

#9211 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

I actually think price matching is shitty. It limits competition, i like the idea of trying to outdo a rival company, if everywhere matched everywhere, it'd be fairly pointless anyone doing a great deal, as everywhere else would do it also

I mean... It isn't really limiting competition, because the various services having the sales aren't colluding to set a fixed price. It's actually a form of competition, as one service competes to maintain parity with another in the price of the product, and as was mentioned, requires buying decisions to be based on quality of service.

To be fair, in digital game distribution, there's a limit to the amount of price competition that can even occur, as prices need to be cleared (and are usually set) by the publisher of the game rather than the retailer. Or at least that's my understanding.

#9212 pochi26

pochi26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Tony do a Risen collection deal soon! Missed it when it was $10 on January.

Edited by pochi26, 15 April 2013 - 09:48 PM.
Grammar mistakes

#9213 Fluxy

Fluxy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

tony any way you can price match the newegg deal from yesterday for starcraft 2 HoTS?
Newegg had it for 27.99 with free shipping and frys has it for 29.99, just saying

#9214 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

Hey guys,

Lots of convo about price matching in the last couple of days, sorry for the delayed response.

On the Gamefly stuff, to be honest, when we do pricematch their stuff VERY FEW people come and buy so it isn't something we prioritize as highly in terms of "this must get done today". I'd rather spend my time working with our vendors to get better deals in place that will affect more people.

Also, does anyone know if you can do a poll as a post or do I have to make a new thread?

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amazongames
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

#9215 shaggyc

shaggyc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

tony any way you can price match the newegg deal from yesterday for starcraft 2 HoTS?
Newegg had it for 27.99 with free shipping and frys has it for 29.99, just saying

They don't match physical deals. Downloads only
Posted Image

#9216 27526343157187946075

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hey guys,

Lots of convo about price matching in the last couple of days, sorry for the delayed response.

On the Gamefly stuff, to be honest, when we do pricematch their stuff VERY FEW people come and buy so it isn't something we prioritize as highly in terms of "this must get done today". I'd rather spend my time working with our vendors to get better deals in place that will affect more people.

Also, does anyone know if you can do a poll as a post or do I have to make a new thread?

Cheers,
Tony

I saw that the physical copy of Arkham Origins was added on Amazon, do you know if you'll be doing a digital download for it?

#9217 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

I saw that the physical copy of Arkham Origins was added on Amazon, do you know if you'll be doing a digital download for it?

I haven't heard anything from WB yet, but if there is a PC download we'll carry it.

Also, and I'll add this to the OP, but would you guys mind taking and sharing this survey? I'm trying to make a case to get ratings/scores on our detail pages:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SHX7PBK

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#9218 stupidproz1

stupidproz1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

I haven't heard anything from WB yet, but if there is a PC download we'll carry it.

Also, and I'll add this to the OP, but would you guys mind taking and sharing this survey? I'm trying to make a case to get ratings/scores on our detail pages:

Cheers,
Tony

The surveys first question I think is worded wrong. It says "How does the inclusion of ratings/scores (such as metacritic) on retail product pages affect your purchase decision?"
Yes or No.
It should say I think:
"Does the inclusion of ratings/scores (such as metacritic) on retail product pages affect your purchase decision?"
Indie Gala Codemasters / January bundles $2.50 each. Indie Gala Capsule Computers $3.65 each. 70+ Steam keys for sale. Check out my trade thread. Direct Link:
Need to buy something from Green Man Gaming? Use this referral link and create an account and make a purchase then both of our accounts will be credited $2

#9219 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

The surveys first question I think is worded wrong. It says "How does the inclusion of ratings/scores (such as metacritic) on retail product pages affect your purchase decision?"
Yes or No.
It should say I think:
"Does the inclusion of ratings/scores (such as metacritic) on retail product pages affect your purchase decision?"

Thanks, just fixed :).

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#9220 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

Cheers,
Tony

What if my opinion is I'd like to see ratings if they can be presented in a reasonable intelligent manner, ie not

'WOT? THIS GAME REQUIRES ME TO INSTALL THIS SOFTWARE CALLED STEAM AND I DIDN'T READ THE FINE PRINT. 1 STAR!'

or

'THIS BUNDLE WHICH WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE PROMOTED OUTSIDE OF A SALE ANYWAY IS $125 REGULAR PRICE. OUTRAGEOUS! 1 STAR!'

or

'THIS GAME DOESN'T RUN FOR ME BECAUSE I AM HAVING TECHNICAL ISSUES! 1 STAR!'

or

'I AM PISSED OFF BECAUSE YOU AREN'T OFFERING THE SAME DEAL FOR CONSOLES! 1 STAR!'

Honestly I read so much of those sort of 'reviews' that then get factored into the star rating number which people look at that I get tired of those.

Can we report them and have them removed as inappropriate? I know some people will scream censorship but really if you're going to review a product review the product.

Now if we're taking metacritic here. I think it's a starting point but only a starting point and needs to be put into context. If we can't get that context but just a raw number like Steam does then I'd be against it because it encourages people to be lazy and make decisions without all the facts or context. Some people are going to do it anyway but they don't need it handed to them on a silver platter.

One thing I do like about Amazon reviews is you get an at a glance with a snippet of the positive review rated most helpful by users side by side with the negative review rated most helpful by users so you don't just get a raw star rating but some quick context even for the lazy.

I know that's WAY longer than a simple yes/no surveymonkey button but that's my twenty two cents.

steam_sig.png

#9221 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

I don't necessarily look at the star rating, but I do look for factual information such as bugs, compatibility with controllers, etc., in the reviews.

#9222 bluelark

bluelark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

Does this mean real ratings and not just people reviewing products on the page?

#9223 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:11 AM

Metacritic review number would be cool; more information is always a plus.
Just do not use it to replace Amazon reviews; as I still like them.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#9224 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

Does this mean real ratings and not just people reviewing products on the page?

That's what I'm making a case for :).

Metacritic review number would be cool; more information is always a plus.
Just do not use it to replace Amazon reviews; as I still like them.

Yeah we'd never get rid of the Amazon reviews, we just want to put more info up there for you guys. Refer to Motoki and Blulark's post for people that want an alternative (or at least an adjustment to the current system).

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#9225 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

To answer it here I would say: not at all. We live in the internet age where there is no shortage of third party outlets that give impressions and show actual footage of games. Whatever purchase I make I usually check various forums that I trust and watch some gameplay on YouTube. I rarely pay attention to scores/reviews on the product page.

#9226 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

I mean as much information placed in one convenient place will always be great, but TBH I could care less about metacritic or anything like that when it comes to games. And to me Amazon user reviews are the most valuable ones. This may not be the case all the time or with the steam vs. non steam groupie wars, but for the most part there are enough honest good reviews to be the most valuable I find online.

The Amazon algorithm also does a great job of highlighting the better/more useful ones. Whenever I am in store and see a new product/impulse purchase I always pull up Amazon and see what the reviews say. 9 out of 10 times the steer me in the right direction.

I have a handful of leftover July Madness Bundles - PM if interested

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#9227 Shrowd

Shrowd

Gaming Dad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

I enjoy being able to see the metacritic review score, at least the user generated one.

76561198056146032.png    

Frostpaw.png

#9228 jimmywolf

jimmywolf

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

To answer it here I would say: not at all. We live in the internet age where there is no shortage of third party outlets that give impressions and show actual footage of games. Whatever purchase I make I usually check various forums that I trust and watch some gameplay on YouTube. I rarely pay attention to scores/reviews on the product page.

while i agree an i do the same am much more likely too impulse buy something with 80%+ rating or ignore an not research something with a 60% an lower rating
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.

#9229 Ygh9RbNaijteh

Ygh9RbNaijteh

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

Metacritic or any review collection metarating site for that matter are not for me. I almost never concur with the ratings of the big US mainstream review sites which are the most weighted and most represented on metacritic. So the scores are useless to me.

I'd even go so far as to say they are dangerous as they are building people's taste in a certain (bad) way. But that's another discussion.

#9230 lnknprk

lnknprk

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:46 AM

Seeing the Metacritic score would be pretty useful. I mean, I already go searching for reviews of any game I'm looking at buying so having the score right there would speed things up. Might actually get me to look deeper into some games that I would have never looked into if its score didn't catch my eye.

That's kind of why it would be useful. There are a lot of third party outlets to get more info on a game, and anything that can try to put some of that info on the same page is good. Take Steam for example. They have the review score there, and they also have the added benefit of having the Steam forum for that game a click away.

#9231 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

I do look at Metacritic ratings, but only to see the general consensus on whether it's a good game or not. If it's rated a 90 or a 60, it's about the same to me, since I've liked some games rated at 65ish more than some 90ish games. If it's a 20 or 30, I generally would avoid it, since it's usually extremely bad for a game to be so low.

I know we shouldn't use Metacritic, but it's not my fault the publishers base contracts on it.

#9232 :Mephistox:

:Mephistox:

Be Adequate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Took the survey, Tony! Number 2 was hard. I spent about an hour trying to figure it out! Now, where is our free game that was promised at the end of the survey :bouncy:

Spoiler

But seriously, I don't really care about a game's rating/score/review. If it scored well, I'll play it to see what all the hype is about. If it scored terribly, I'll play it because I want to see how bad it is. Either way, someone gets my money :cry:

#9233 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:28 AM

That's kind of why it would be useful. There are a lot of third party outlets to get more info on a game, and anything that can try to put some of that info on the same page is good. Take Steam for example. They have the review score there, and they also have the added benefit of having the Steam forum for that game a click away.

To clarify I mostly rely on video and... shall we say 'select' opinions. And, again, it's the internet age. Having to click two or three times to access other sites doesn't put me out much. Obviously I can only speak for myself but I almost always ignore Metacritic, 'professional reviews,' and the average gamer's thoughts. Of course my tastes are fairly niche and I never impulse buy anything and the stuff I purchase is stuff I've been considering for months.

#9234 EeveeFanboy

EeveeFanboy

Likes Eevee too much

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

I answered no to the survey. People seem to have a tendency to avoid games that have even a 70 on Metacritic, which I'd argue is where most of the best games reside. Most of the 90+ games are "safe" games that are just unimproved sequels of a popular franchise. The 70 range has clones of the 90+ games, sure, but that's also where some devs branch out from the norm more. I also feel that I could pretty safely argue that Metacritic score correlates closely to sales figures, so it makes Metacritic a bit redundant compared to Amazon's top selling games and even the number of reviews for a particular game.
Posted Image

#9235 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

Took the survey thanks for the free Dishonoured Tony. ;)
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#9236 kosmos13x

kosmos13x

Nocturne #BNC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:26 AM

Before reading on, please note that this is my opinion and thus should be respectfully treated as such *avoids thrown pies*

I voted NO for metacritic ratings appearing on Amazon. It has been shown time and time again that certain "professional" reviewers sabotage a score due to a) personal vendetta against the game or company b) to attract a bunch of internet hits on their site or more recently c) hating video games altogether but feel the need to rate them.... Metacritic score is a joke and should be treated as such.

I prefer if we kept with the amazon CUSTOMER review ratings and just that. Sure there are a few duds that appear on their from time to time (which the comments section under the customer review can easily point them out), but I rather hear from the real gamers and not (mostly) paid reviewers.

Also another thing to consider. There are times when a game is released in its not so optimized state (and that is a whole other issue and discussion...) and metacritic scores usually reflect that initial release state, regardless if it was completely fixed a day later after release. I have played many games that I enjoyed so much that had average - below average ratings (60-70s). If you show a customer who spends their dollars based on JUST metacritic alone (and there are many out there like that), you can potentially hurt sales due to customers thinking it is a completely broken ugly game.

#9237 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:38 AM

If you are going to put the Metacritic review score, put the user review figure in there as well. That there exists a wide gap between the two can be telling. When I see a gap, I want to investigate why. I'm thinking Mass Effect 3 or Diablo III.

#9238 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

The giant gaps are generally why I'd favor not adding it. Gamers are extremely irritating in their review bomb nonsense. User scores were useful before Metacrtic caught on. Now it's generally worth less than the actual review score.

#9239 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:13 AM

I use Metacritic. Sometimes it's nice to see a broad score at first glance, but in doing that, I only consider the game below average if the score is around 50 or under. I've had a lot of fun with some games scored around 60.

But really, I use Metacritic because it's an easy hub to look over multiple reviewers and user reviews. People cry about it being useless, but really, just take your time and actually read some individual reviews. Typically what they SAY gives you far more insight into the quality of the game than the score does.

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#9240 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

I like the rating system Amazon has, but if you're looking to include metacritic/professional ratings in addition to user ratings on Amazon, I would totally be behind that. Just don't remove the 'user ratings' portion, because those are often just as important to consider as professional ratings.

Sure, several games have experiencing a massive outcry of specific issues (SimCity, Diablo III, Mass Effect 3), and thusly, received very low user ratings, but reading even one or two reviews for any of those would give you a very good idea why fans were outraged, and many times, it's important to know why if you're a potential customer.

I like the review and rating system, and I do take into consideration the rating/reviews of Amazon, in addition to metacritic, Gamespot, Gamespot user reviews, Total Biscuit, Classic Game Room, Zeitgeist reviews, IGN, etc. I usually read a lot before I buy, but I like anyplace where users give feedback, and I don't mind a simple 'rating' aggregation that Amazon has, because it's often fairly reflective of 'is this game awesome! Yes! (e.g. Bioshock Infinite), should I weigh my options (e.g. Inversion), something is awry here! (e.g. SimCity).

Edited by Necrotron, 16 April 2013 - 07:52 AM.