Photo
* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14964 replies to this topic

#9301 r9800pro

r9800pro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

While we are talking about reviews, it needs to be fixed so that when an "upgraded" version of something comes out, the reviews are kept exclusive to that version (Terminator 2 Skynet Edition) for example. People write reviews based on an inferior product, yet it's presented as belonging to the newly released version. I see this relating to video games as well. Want an example? The first review for Sim City 4: Deluxe (Download) is for the CD-Rom Version. http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

Just a thought. It's much worst for things like Blu-Rays (people dogging Terminator 2 badly compressed dvd versions on the Skynet Blue-Ray page).

I've always thought Terminator 2 Skynet Edition Blu-Ray was not so good. The movie needs a complete remaster and rescan in 4K :D
Some European HD-DVD releases have way better PQ.

fs_pc.png

#9302 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

That's awesome. I'm booting up Steam now.

Why? You don't need to use the Steam client to browse the Steam website.

#9303 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Why? You don't need to use the Steam client to browse the Steam website.

Yeah, but my web browser always wants me to login to steam whereas the client does it automatically. I wanted to vote it up.

#9304 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Yeah, but my web browser always wants me to login to steam whereas the client does it automatically. I wanted to vote it up.

You can launch Steam, find the correct Greenlight page, and vote faster than opening a new tab, signing into the Steam website, and voting? :shock:

#9305 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

You can launch Steam, find the correct Greenlight page, and vote faster than opening a new tab, signing into the Steam website, and voting? :shock:

Well, I planned on just finishing my Greenlight queue anyways. There is a method to this madness.

I sign into steam so rarely on my browser, it always seems to require me to not only sign in, but then enter that security code, where I have to sign into my email as well, ect. etc. I just prefer clicking the steam icon on my desktop.

#9306 hatefish

hatefish

Oh, it seems i can change this.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Deals?

#9307 damage.undone

damage.undone

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

I did the survey and I have a question, any idea if any deal on Chivalry is coming up any time soon? Trying to get a gaming night with the friends together for this and 2 of them dont own it so I want to get it for them.

#9308 lnknprk

lnknprk

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

I did the survey and I have a question, any idea if any deal on Chivalry is coming up any time soon? Trying to get a gaming night with the friends together for this and 2 of them dont own it so I want to get it for them.

I don't think I've ever seen Amazon actually have a sale on that.

#9309 Ogedai_Khan

Ogedai_Khan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Any prospect of a Guild Wars 2 sale soon?
Family and I are still enjoying TSW from the last sale and we tend to gravitate towards MMOs as a great way of spending time together. The GW2 Trial this weekend would certainly put the game in peoples' radars for a possible purchase.

#9310 damage.undone

damage.undone

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

They had Chivalry for 16 the other day, but it was cheaper on steam the other week, but we didn't get it. Now amazon doesn't have the download only version anymore.

#9311 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Technical issues are a part of the experience

Yes, but not a consistent part of the experience.

There are many games that launch with technical issues and get them completely fixed within the first few weeks of the game's release.

I've literally never had a connection issue with Diablo 3, but a good portion of users who gave the game a zero complained about being unable to connect to the servers within the first few days.

Is this relevant? As a consumer considering purchasing Diablo 3 today, do I really need to know about the launch issues it had? Do I need those issues influencing the 3.4 Metacritic userscore Diablo 3 has today?

I'd say no. And D3 is hardly alone in that problem. Krater launched in a pretty buggy state and has since then become quite playable and enjoyable. Critic & users alike have yet to (and probably never will) revise their score.

I could see pushing critics to behave better in this regard, but users?

I doubt it.

#9312 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Has Tony announced what's coming up for the deal of the week starting tomorrow? I went back a few pages to skim the posts, but it's mostly people talking about the survey and/or how professional "critics" are on the take. With a little bit of irritable bowels talk thrown in for good measure.

#9313 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

Has Tony announced what's coming up for the deal of the week starting tomorrow? I went back a few pages to skim the posts, but it's mostly people talking about the survey and/or how professional "critics" are on the take. With a little bit of irritable bowels talk thrown in for good measure.

nope tony hasnt

#9314 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

maybe this
http://cdnroot.cheap...pictureid=29156
picked up American Pickers for my wife, she says thanks, Tony!!!
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#9315 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

Is this relevant? As a consumer considering purchasing Diablo 3 today, do I really need to know about the launch issues it had? Do I need those issues influencing the 3.4 Metacritic userscore Diablo 3 has today?

The review is valuable in light of the launch issues having 100% to do with the fact that the game was online single-player. Even if the game works as designed, online single-player remains anti-consumer, and if I were considering purchasing the game I may reconsider my purchase after reading about it. Also, nothing is stopping anyone from going back and updating their review.

A shame about Krater. If it impacted their sales they might want to consider releasing a more finished game next time.

#9316 Tallkido

Tallkido

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

Still waiting for new dead island riptide deal TONY!!!
Posted Image

#9317 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:09 AM

Spoiler
Diablo 3's user score is aimed by the users at 3.7 in reference to 'error 37' experienced by players shortly after release and in no way actually reflects the user opinion of the game.
Spoiler

:rofl:
:applause:

I've literally never had a connection issue with Diablo 3, but a good portion of users who gave the game a zero complained about being unable to connect to the servers within the first few days.

First three weeks at least. What was really interesting was the fluctuation in the WoW population as the D3 servers went up and down.

Paid reviewers really should do far more 3-month retrospective/updates to their reviews, but they don't, thus underlining a lack of professionalism and credibility.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#9318 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:11 AM

A shame about Krater. If it impacted their sales they might want to consider releasing a more finished game next time.

Could you phrase that any more like a movie villain?

Paid reviewers really should do far more 3-month retrospective/updates to their reviews, but they don't, thus underlining a lack of professionalism and credibility.

I think this is usually an editorial choice, and one that for the last few years has been more and more in flux as we run into the issues we have lately.

I don't think it's a lack of professionalism, though.

If anything it's clinging to an outmoded form of professionalism that no longer applies to the age of digital downloads and constantly evolving products.

#9319 rahulkadukar

rahulkadukar

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

To all CAG, this is the cheapest BF3 will ever be $5 :D

https://www.facebook...14422775262040/

#9320 lordkosc

lordkosc

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

No Thursday deal yet? :joystick:

#9321 pinkgun

pinkgun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Deal of the Week April 18-24

This week, experience the thrill on the pitch with FIFA 13 as well as the tactical challenges of coaching with Football Manager 13, both just $9.99 through April 24.

http://www.amazon.co...uct/B008D7F47Q/
http://www.amazon.co...uct/B009OKI02C/

#9322 ruuin

ruuin

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Come on Hamsters, come on!

Take the whip, Tony!
PC Deals blog : http://vayaansias.com/ (in spanish)

#9323 tsts

tsts

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

time to kick some balls ~ :P

#9324 G_freemanX

G_freemanX

HAF LAFE 3 pls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Im waiting for the prices to change!! Wake up those hamsters!

#9325 pinkgun

pinkgun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Deal of the Week April 18-24

http://www.amazon.co...uct/B008D7F47Q/
http://www.amazon.co...uct/B009OKI02C/

The deal is live now

#9326 Mippo

Mippo

One and Only

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

In all three of your examples the user reviews were skewed by protest votes making the user reviews less useful than the critic score - not the other way around as you seem to be assuming? This is common on metacritic where DRM is involved. If the game has DRM, then unless you're the kind of person that refuses to play a game, no matter how good it is, if it contains DRM - then you can't assume the user reviews are more accurate than the critic ones.

For your example games:

Diablo 3's user score is aimed by the users at 3.7 in reference to 'error 37' experienced by players shortly after release and in no way actually reflects the user opinion of the game.

Mass Effect 3's was a protest vote against the end of the game rather than the game as a whole.

Most of the SimCity votes were based on the fact the game effectively didn't work for 3 days after release rather than an opinion of the game.

That's blatantly false. Yes, some people negatively reviewed Diablo 3 because of launch issues, but regardless of launch issues the game was extremely flawed at its core. Launch issues didn't stop people from playing the game shortly after they started... Repetitive maps, horribly implemented itemization, a huge difficulty increase in Inferno combined with this lovely new "feature" called the real life auction house did. You could play for a hundred hours and not find an upgrade for your character, but you could pay $250 and get it on the auction house! The game was broken and was pushing people towards spending real life money to be able to progress in a game they already paid for. On top of that, Blizzard had no problems "nerfing" stats that people paid real life money for. You can see how that might upset people.... Yet, the horrible itemization, huge increase in difficulty and a practically forced push towards the real life auction house was absent from almost every professional review. The game's problems went well beyond launch issues because if the only problem were launch issues, people would've gotten over it and played the game when the launch issues cleared up. The problem is after the launch issues, when you do get to play it, is when you finally get to discover how broken the game actually is.

The exact same was true in Sim City as well. The entire Residential, Commercial, Industrial aspect of the game is completely broken. Literally, broken and that's the core of the game and that's practically never even mentioned in a professional review. The extremely small size of land you have to build on, the completely useless AI that always goes to the nearest house, nearest job and leads to giant traffic congestion almost all the time. Game-breaking bugs that can't be fixed and force you to restart when they occur in your city. Multiplayer "features" that don't sync properly, and just flat out don't work. Phantom sims added to make your city appear bigger then it is and since your city has to be saved online, constanty city roll-backs that cause you to lose everything you've done, through no fault of your own.

These games were deeply flawed, well beyond launch issues and should've deserved far lower scores even if they both had perfect launches. To sit here and say these games only have low scores based on launch issues is blatantly false. Sim City deserves a 20 rating because it's flat out broken at its core, not because of launch issues. I also disagree that users should have to update their scores. The reviews were accurate at the time they were written. If games don't want to be bombarded with horrible reviews, then don't release games that are clearly not finished and not ready to be released. I'm sure Diablo 3 is far better now than when I reviewed it, but that doesn't negate the fact that the game was broken when they released it and I haven't replayed it since nor is it my responsibility to replay it, and update people with the changes they've made. People interested in the game can read the problems that existed, and do research into whether or not those problems have been fixed and if it ends up in someone not purchasing the game, that's not my problem.

#9327 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Spoiler

These games were deeply flawed, well beyond launch issues and should've deserved far lower scores even if they both had perfect launches. To sit here and say these games only have low scores based on launch issues is blatantly false. Sim City deserves a 20 rating because it's flat out broken at its core, not because of launch issues. I also disagree that users should have to update their scores. The reviews were accurate at the time they were written. If games don't want to be bombarded with horrible reviews, then don't release games that are clearly not finished and not ready to be released. I'm sure Diablo 3 is far better now than when I reviewed it, but that doesn't negate the fact that the game was broken when they released it and I haven't replayed it since nor is it my responsibility to replay it, and update people with the changes they've made. People interested in the game can read the problems that existed, and do research into whether or not those problems have been fixed and if it ends up in someone not purchasing the game, that's not my problem.

Nobody is arguing these games would have been universally beloved if not for a politicized minority protesting draconian DRM. The argument being made is simply that reviews are more useful when they're based entirely around the game, so that they can represent the kinds of flaws that you pointed out.

Diablo 3 may be a legitimately bad game (I haven't played it), but it's difficult for me to know that, because it involves sifting through hundreds of useless bomb reviews about server issues.

Edited by Eldredpe, 18 April 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#9328 confuseousprime

confuseousprime

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Nobody is arguing these games would have been universally beloved if not for a politicized minority protesting draconian DRM. The argument being made is simply that reviews are more useful when they're based entirely around the game, so that they can represent the kinds of flaws that you pointed out.

Diablo 3 maybe a legitimately bad game (I haven't played it), but it's difficult for me to know that, because it involves sifting through hundreds of useless bomb reviews about server issues.

A great point that I think people are missing. Nobody is saying that D3 or Sim City or ME3 aren't bad games and deserve better review scores. But just as the professional reviews have problems the user reviews also have problems. In this case user reviews usually gravitate towards extremities (both positive and negative) and that is why I find them just as unhelpful.

When I see 100+ "reviews" giving a game a score of 3 or lower, where many of these reviews amount to LOLZ DAT DRM then the information I have been given is just as useless as a professional review that amounts to DAT CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE. If I wanted to read 4chan and Reddit's take on a game I can read them off of their forums just fine. I would recommend keeping that off of Amazon though, it might attract the hivemind to roost.

#9329 pablo_vllj

pablo_vllj

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Is there any chance Amazon will price match tomorrow's Origin deal for Battlefield 3 at $5?

Please say yes

#9330 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hey guys, DOTW posted in the OP, Fifa, Eve Online, Toilet Tycoon :).

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amazongames
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts