Photo
* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14964 replies to this topic

#11521 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

My Choices

5-Game Bundle Games:

Party of Sin
Sol Survivor
Little Inferno
Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
Strike Suit Zero

10-Game Bundle Games:

Afterfall InSanity Complete Edition
Garshasp: The Monster Slayer
Garshasp: Temple of the Dragon
Tower Wars
Primal Fears
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
Stealth Bastard Deluxe
Stealth Bastard Deluxe: The Teleporter Chambers
Unity of Command
Ticket to Ride

#11522 jrodri86

jrodri86

Meh, i'll wait to get it for a cheaper price.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

My Choices:

5-Game Bundle Games:
Sol Survivor
Little Inferno
Salvation Prophecy: A Military Space Epic
Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
Strike Suit Zero

10-Game Bundle Games:
Dead Pixels
The Adventures of Shuggy
Syder Arcade
Shatter
Tiny & Big in: Grandpa's Leftovers
Blockland
Space Pirates and Zombies
Stealth Bastard Deluxe
Unity of Command

Tretton.png

#11523 tmwfte

tmwfte

Lovecraftian Colour Out of Space

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

I would go for

5-Game Bundle Games:

Little Inferno
SUGURI
Acceleration of SUGURI
QLIONE
Strike Suit Zero

10-Game Bundle Games:

Tower of Elements
God of Blades
SCHAR: Blue Shield Alliance Special Edition
Triple Town
Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Episode 1 Tides of Fate
Jones On Fire
Blockland
Dynasty of Dusk
Cobi Treasure Deluxe
Unity of Command

I would advise steering clear of Afterfall Insanity. The devs are known to ignore users who didn't purchase their product on Steam, to the point where the product off Steam won't be supported with patches or even customer support.

#11524 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

Just want to credit cutter2 for helping me out fix Manhunt.

Finally able to get past the 2nd enemy on the tutorial and the gate finally opened. With cutter2 help, I basically had to use a modified game executable that disabled SecuRom 8 DRM included with the game.

Will continue to see if I can proceed to finish the game without a crash but the fact that I can open the gate is a very good sign.

Rockstar should really patch-out the Securom-DRM check, if it's going to cause these kind of problems.

EDIT:

SecuROM is horrible DRM. After some experiences with it (Sacred 2, mostly), I refuse to purchase anything with it. I planned to get Manhunt myself until I read the DRM.

When games get VERY old and are sold often VERY cheap - especially for SP-portions of games - the DRM-check should be patched-out period.
People likely ain't pirating these games - it's the expensive $50-60+ games that just hit the market!

Edited by MysterD, 20 May 2013 - 09:56 PM.

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

No wonder we have no time to play games!

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#11525 memphiz88

memphiz88

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Story time.
5-Game Bundle Games:

Sol Survivor
Little Inferno
Flying Red Barrel
Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
Strike Suit Zero

10-Game Bundle Games:

Garshasp: The Monster Slayer
Garshasp: Temple of the Dragon
Tower Wars
Primal Fears
Derrick the Deathfin
Astroloco: Worst Contact
Stealth Bastard Deluxe
Stealth Bastard Deluxe: The Teleporter Chambers
Unity of Command

my choice;)

#11526 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Would much rather see all of those indie games on sale for $1.50 or $2.50 each than being in some watered down bundles really. Some of the more worthwhile ones have never been below $5. But others have been bundled so many times people give them away.

This, pretty much. People are suggesting a LOT of games that have been in REALLY cheap bundles. $10 is really pricey for a bundle, even if you're getting 10 games. Indie bundles run from as little as a buck to around $5. Double that price, with loads of previously bundled games is really not that appealing.

I could see a really good 5 game bundle being worth $10, but ONLY if it included no repeats, and every game was of high value/quality (sort of like the M$ indie bundle you've run). For example, like people have said, Mars: War Logs, Kentucky Route Zero, Strike Suit Zero, Galaxy On Fire 2 HD, and Afterfall Insanity. That's a 5 game indie bundle worth $10. When you start throwing fillers in, it's not going to be all that worth it, since these games will either end up hitting cheaper indie bundles later on, or will simply be more cost effective to buy alone when they hit good sales.

All that said, this has a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens!

For reference, my 5 game bundle pick:
Mars: War Logs
Kentucky Route Zero
Strike Suit Zero
Galaxy On Fire 2 HD
Afterfall Insanity

10 game bundle:
(Hard to say, I feel like it would have too many repeats for me)

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#11527 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

This, pretty much. People are suggesting a LOT of games that have been in REALLY cheap bundles. $10 is really pricey for a bundle, even if you're getting 10 games. Indie bundles run from as little as a buck to around $5. Double that price, with loads of previously bundled games is really not that appealing.

I could see a really good 5 game bundle being worth $10, but ONLY if it included no repeats, and every game was of high value/quality (sort of like the M$ indie bundle you've run). For example, like people have said, Mars: War Logs, Kentucky Route Zero, Strike Suit Zero, Galaxy On Fire 2 HD, and Afterfall Insanity. That's a 5 game indie bundle worth $10. When you start throwing fillers in, it's not going to be all that worth it, since these games will either end up hitting cheaper indie bundles later on, or will simply be more cost effective to buy alone when they hit good sales.

I agree with this, if there're too many bundle repeats (over 2 in the 10 game bundle/over 1 in the 5 game bundle is too many for me), I'll probably skip the bundle and wait for a better deal. $10 is more expensive than 99% of the indie bundles that come out right now, so it'd have to have some high quality games in there to make up for it.

#11528 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

All that said, this has a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens!

Kentucky Route Zero
Strike Suit Zero
Galaxy On Fire 2 HD
Afterfall Insanity

10 game bundle:

You guys are doing it wrong! If a game is on the 10 Game List you CANNOT move it to the five game list. So everyone putting Afterfall in the 5 game bundle, that wouldn't work, unless you guys are intent on getting less bang for your buck.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#11529 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Tony, you might want to use this for future reference, in case you wanna check which games have been bundled:

http://indiegamebundle.wikia.com

#11530 MisterXYZ

MisterXYZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

Tony, any chance you can confirm that this does definitely give a steam key?

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00CLVZGOQ/

It's not available on steam, and I can't find any record of it ever having a steam version (2008 and 2010 have been on steam).

http://steamdb.info/...nting unlimited

I have a few friends interested in the game if it does activate on steam, so if you could confirm, it'd be a big help to a lot of us :)

#11531 cjenvy

cjenvy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

anyone got any thoughts on the steam version of lotr war in the north?

#11532 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

Rockstar should really patch-out the Securom-DRM check, if it's going to cause these kind of problems.

The problem is not the SecuROM DRM per se. The problem is that Rockstar is selling a game which won't run properly/reliably on the past three releases of Windows even without the DRM. The game's executable can be patched to get it to run, but NOT when there is DRM on the executable. Steam's stub and CEG forms of DRM would cause the same problem.

#11533 Evrad

Evrad

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

My 5-games bundle choice:

Strike Suit Zero
Little Inferno
Real Heroes: Firefighter
Astroloco: Worst Contact
Galaxy on Fire 2 HD

My 10-games bundle choice:

Mutant Mudds
Triple Town
Derrick the Deathfin
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
Tiny & Big in: Grandpa's Leftovers
Blockland
Stealth Bastard Deluxe
Tower Wars
Ticket to Ride

PS: Count me in if Mars War Logs or Kentucky Route Zero are available, I'd totally choose them.

#11534 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

The problem is not the SecuROM DRM per se. The problem is that Rockstar is selling a game which won't run properly/reliably on the past three releases of Windows even without the DRM. The game's executable can be patched to get it to run, but NOT when there is DRM on the executable. Steam's stub and CEG forms of DRM would cause the same problem.

Rockstar putting out shitty non-working ("out of the box", at least) PC games isn't anything new.

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#11535 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

That game requires Steam no matter where you buy it. It also uses Steam's CEG form of DRM so you can't play it offline for more than 30 days at a time.

That said I have the game and like it as a network co-op action game with a playable story mode. Finding people to play the game with you will be a problem though if you can't convince the people you normally play with to buy it. The game also has a LAN networking mode, but since the game requires Steam and has offline restrictions due to its DRM, it's of limited benefit.

It's worth buying for $5 even for single-player if you really like Lord of the Rings.

#11536 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

Tony, I'm not going to try and make bundles. Assuming the ones that are on Steam come with a Steam key there is a good handful I want. Some I haven't heard of but I can imagine I'd want some of them as well if I went looking.

May I suggest making multiple bundles. Maybe make a mega bundle at a little bit more of a discount or and I think this option is more up Amazon's alley, when you buy one of these indie bundles you get a $1-2 credit towards the purchase of another indie bundle in this promotion.

#11537 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

Kentucky Route Zero
Strike Suit Zero
Galaxy On Fire 2 HD
Afterfall Insanity

10 game bundle:

+1 for Mars: War Logs.
Would like to see Of Orcs & Men in a bundle, too - since we're mentioning games from Spiders Studios.

EDIT:
Oh, would the upcoming game DARK even be considered Indie?

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

No wonder we have no time to play games!

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#11538 crimsonassassin

crimsonassassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

I experienced a lot of bugs wit LOTR War in the North and eventually uninstalled it as I could not proceed.

#11539 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

That game requires Steam no matter where you buy it. It also uses Steam's CEG form of DRM so you can't play it offline for more than 30 days at a time.

That said I have the game and like it as a network co-op action game with a playable story mode. Finding people to play the game with you will be a problem though if you can't convince the people you normally play with to buy it. The game also has a LAN networking mode, but since the game requires Steam and has offline restrictions due to its DRM, it's of limited benefit.

It's worth buying for $5 even for single-player if you really like Lord of the Rings.

Actually, the LAN mode had a huge benefit when I played. Whenever I played with friends online, we'd have connection issues until we switched to LAN + tunngle. After doing that, we had no connection issues.

#11540 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

I experienced a lot of bugs wit LOTR War in the North and eventually uninstalled it as I could not proceed.

The game did receive one update after release so that may help if you played it early on and then stopped.

#11541 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

Tony, any chance you can confirm that this does definitely give a steam key?

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00CLVZGOQ/

That's a typo. It must be Hunting Unlimited 2010. Cosmi hasn't figured out yet exactly what it bought from THQ/Valusoft.

Edited by cutter2, 21 May 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#11542 T1BillionX

T1BillionX

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:43 PM

Hey Tony how about a select a bundle.

#11543 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

With bundles, the smaller groupings are better so people can avoid repeats. Amazon sold that Microsoft bundle at the beginning of the year for $10 with really solid and well-known games. A $10 bundle of repeats isn't going to do so well, imo.

I, on the other hand, played it straight through (sometimes co-op, sometimes solo) and had a rockin' good time for the $4-something I paid for it.

76561197971332172.png

#11544 MisterXYZ

MisterXYZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

That's a typo. It must be Hunting Unlimited 2010.

Figured that was it, I just wanted some sort of official confirmation :)

#11545 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

Figured that was it, I just wanted some sort of official confirmation :)

By the way the Amazon reviews on the 2011 edition of the game are savage. Judging from those reviews the DRM-free version might be alright for $3, but not $7.50 even if there were a Steam version.

You should tell your friends to get the $3 version or you should get some better friends. :lol:

#11546 smurfinaus

smurfinaus

GOGger's Unite!! :)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

Also Tony, if its possible for Amazon to arrange the bundle to provide a Steam key + Desura key (if they are in Desura) and a DRM Free copy like what most of the bundle sites are doing right now.

I really think that is asking a bit too much
Posted Image

#11547 Sepioth

Sepioth

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

I'll pitch it :).
Cheers,
Tony

Yes please pitch the LEGO bundle again .. missed it last time as well .. :bouncy:

#11548 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

The interesting thing is that some of those bundle games are only available right now on Steam or require Steam. For example the multiplayer functionality in Primal Fears relies on Steamworks.

#11549 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

Not really. That's an extremely common practice among indie bundlers. GOG keys as well.

bZ2g3eF.png

#11550 MisterXYZ

MisterXYZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

By the way the Amazon reviews on the 2011 edition of the game are savage. Judging from those reviews the DRM-free version might be alright for $3, but not $7.50 even if there were a Steam version.

You should tell your friends to get the $3 version or you should get some better friends. :lol:

Well, we're steam game collectors, so seeing 2011 on Amazon as a steam copy, which we haven't seen a copy of before, it was just something interesting :)

I was actually only planning to buy it because I hadn't seen it available before, otherwise I'd just get the sim pack on steam, which is much more reasonably priced, especially on sale :) (It's also the reason I'm not getting the 18 Wheels of Steel games :P)

http://store.steampo....com/sub/17219/