Photo
- - - - -

Wii U poor sales confirmed BY NINTENDO! Blasterman poor troll confirmed BY BLASTERMAN

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
749 replies to this topic

#271 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

It would be interesting to see how many 99 dollar 360s they have sold doing this.

Again, its a good enough "deal" for some people, but if it doesnt have some awesome game(s) at lunch, I don't think people will go for it.

A large amount of the people that would fall for that are people that use their 360 mostly for netflix, hulu, etc so they would see no point to upgrade.

I have no opinion on your statement that most people that do this only want media streaming. I was thinking single mother buying Xbox for teen kids and early 20's adults personally.

One podcast I listen to they "heard" the $99 Xbox was more successful than MS had expected. IMO this is just the kind of shit consumers fall for.

#272 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Your podcast seem to not me the most reliable when it comes to info.

Unless there is actual numbers to back that, I don't know if its successful or not.

But even of the single mom buying an xbox, if no good games for the 720, why buy that when you can buy a much cheaper 360 that will have GTA and the new Call of Duty for much cheaper?

#273 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Your podcast seem to not me the most reliable when it comes to info.

Unless there is actual numbers to back that, I don't know if its successful or not.

But even of the single mom buying an xbox, if no good games for the 720, why buy that when you can buy a much cheaper 360 that will have GTA and the new Call of Duty for much cheaper?

I'm not sure about the games. Right now you could claim NO GAMES are coming out for it as none have been announced. This same podcast they claimed that the next Xbox was to come out last year but that it was postponed because MS felt the kinect was giving them an extra couple years of profits. If there's any truth to that then we will know soon enough. Some multiplayer on Wednesday may be announced for PS4 and of they look like more than tech demos then that's an indication. E3 also - if there's tons of stuff announced in good playable shape then that will tell us that its likely true as well.

I'm not sure that the podcast is unreliable. It's your word against theirs and they work in the industry and have been right on a lot of stuff including the PS4 announcement back when everyone else was saying its too early and they would announce at E3 anyway. They hit the nail on the head predicting this announcement....about 4 months ago.

#274 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Since we dont know what podcast, we dont know its pedigree, but in general, the $99 xbox is a good deal for Microsoft if it moves in any quantity. They are able to sell a $320 package for $454.

I assume the hardware part of the xbox division is break even at best (especially considering the RRoD writedown), but XBL seems to print money.

#275 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I'm not sure about the games. Right now you could claim NO GAMES are coming out for it as none have been announced. This same podcast they claimed that the next Xbox was to come out last year but that it was postponed because MS felt the kinect was giving them an extra couple years of profits. If there's any truth to that then we will know soon enough. Some multiplayer on Wednesday may be announced for PS4 and of they look like more than tech demos then that's an indication. E3 also - if there's tons of stuff announced in good playable shape then that will tell us that its likely true as well.

I'm not sure that the podcast is unreliable. It's your word against theirs and they work in the industry and have been right on a lot of stuff including the PS4 announcement back when everyone else was saying its too early and they would announce at E3 anyway. They hit the nail on the head predicting this announcement....about 4 months ago.

Its funny you still don't understand the difference between ANNOUNCE and LAUNCH

#276 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

And the new PS and Xbox will have the same problem: few games, high prices and minor improvements. Makers will be wary of investing in new hardware when existing systems have massive install bases. People will make the same complaint that they're "failures" because more people bought PS360 bundles at a discount than the new consoles.

//why am i posting in sales figure threads augh

PS4 and Nextbox won't have the issue of a lot of it's launch games just being games that have been out for awhile on other consoles. That's something that probably really hurt Wii U since no one is going to buy a Wii U to play Darksiders 2 or Mass Effect 3 or sports games.

They'll probably have those launch games that people will act like they're better than they are just because they're something new that will help sell the console (aka Resistance, Kameo?, and even the Wii U has ZombiU).

It might have been best if they would have waited til March or something to release the Wii U so it would have had some more unique games.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#277 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Since we dont know what podcast, we dont know its pedigree, but in general, the $99 xbox is a good deal for Microsoft if it moves in any quantity. They are able to sell a $320 package for $454.

I assume the hardware part of the xbox division is break even at best (especially considering the RRoD writedown), but XBL seems to print money.

The $99 Xbox is a great deal for M$. The $99 or maybe $199 for the 720 provides a low entry cost allowing many more people to buy the system at launch. Thus, M$ is able to maintain or expand their userbase increasing profitability on the software/XBL front. Meanwhile, they turn around and *sell the Ks to a third party to service them. M$ gets paid upfront and lets someone else deal with the headache.

*I'm not sure if M$ is currently selling their Ks to a third party but I'm fairly certain this is what they'll end up doing.
Xecutioner
CML

#278 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

PS4 and Nextbox won't have the issue of a lot of it's launch games just being games that have been out for awhile on other consoles. That's something that probably really hurt Wii U since no one is going to buy a Wii U to play Darksiders 2 or Mass Effect 3 or sports games.

They'll probably have those launch games that people will act like they're better than they are just because they're something new that will help sell the console (aka Resistance, Kameo?, and even the Wii U has ZombiU).

It might have been best if they would have waited til March or something to release the Wii U so it would have had some more unique games.

I wouldn't be so sure. If they do launch this holiday like many thing, they might just get ports of stuff like Call of Duty, GTA, Watchdogs.

#279 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

It'd be a bad idea for Microsoft to have a subscription model out of the gate for 720 if the 360's subscription model still exists this fall. It'd cause a lot of consumer confusion and they would cannibalize each other.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#280 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

It'd be a bad idea for Microsoft to have a subscription model out of the gate for 720 if the 360's subscription model still exists this fall. It'd cause a lot of consumer confusion and they would cannibalize each other.

How would it cause a lot of consumer confusion? People buy new phones all time. In a market where new devices are released yearly. Heck, sometimes we get multiple release of the same phone within the same year. Yet, consumers seem to deal with that just fine.
Xecutioner
CML

#281 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. If they do launch this holiday like many thing, they might just get ports of stuff like Call of Duty, GTA, Watchdogs.

They might, but I'd be surprised if each console didn't have one or two exclusive games that get hyped up before launch.

Besides, buying a new console to play GTA with better graphics is probably more appealing to people than buying a Wii U to play games that run the same or apparently worse in some cases.

#282 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

I think people really overestimate the average consumer and how much of a graphical different there will be between the current and new consoles to the average consumer.

#283 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

I'd also like to know how MS plans to enforce subscriptions against the people who cancel early. I'm sure people would try to dispute the credit card charges. Cutting off people's Xbox Live service won't have the same impact as cutting off their cell phone service (although I guess they can go to a different carrier).

#284 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

I'd also like to know how MS plans to enforce subscriptions against the people who cancel early. I'm sure people would try to dispute the credit card charges. Cutting off people's Xbox Live service won't have the same impact as cutting off their cell phone service (although I guess they can go to a different carrier).

They sell off the Ks and let someone else deal with it. Just like a bank does with your mortgage or when a gym sells off your membership K.
Xecutioner
CML

#285 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

I think they ding your credit score.

#286 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

I think people really overestimate the average consumer and how much of a graphical different there will be between the current and new consoles to the average consumer.

I think the graphical jump won't be as big as PS1-PS2 or PS2-PS3 but it'll still be a pretty decent jump.

I just can't imagine graphics getting a lot better than they are now, but I'm probably wrong.

#287 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

They do it now, why don't you call them and ask? I think Best Buy or TRU might offer this program.

#288 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

I thought Kameo was pretty good...

#289 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Someone on the previous page pointed out that Microsoft will likely sell the contract to a company that services these kinds of agreements (or perhaps a division inside their own company). They get to recognize the monies up front and the company servicing the contract has incentive to get you to pay up. At the very least your XBL service will be cutoff, there already seems to be a system in place to prevent you from trading your xbox into Gamestop and perhaps other like business. They can turn you over to a collections service or take up collections themselves. As mentioned before, they could ding your credit score.

Ultimately though, they could take you to court and probably do it in Washington and rack up other fees in the process.

The last scenario is unlikely, because it is a pain to collect in those cases, but not impossible.

Note, IANAL

#290 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

I thought Kameo was pretty good...

It wasn't bad.

I don't remember if people hyped that game or not which is why I put a question mark. I'm guessing yes though.

It's like Resistance. It wasn't a bad game, but it was overhyped because people who bought a PS3 at launch needed something to make it seem like it was worth it.

And people are doing the same thing with ZombiU. These are all games no one would care about if they weren't launch games.

#291 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

It wasn't bad.

I don't remember if people hyped that game or not which is why I put a question mark. I'm guessing yes though.

It's like Resistance. It wasn't a bad game, but it was overhyped because people who bought a PS3 at launch needed something to make it seem like it was worth it.

And people are doing the same thing with ZombiU. These are all games no one would care about if they weren't launch games.

I don't know about the hype, I didn't get the 360 at luanch and bought Kameo used. The start was a pain in the ass. After that when the world opened up it was fun.

#292 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

I don't know about the hype, I didn't get the 360 at luanch and bought Kameo used. The start was a pain in the ass. After that when the world opened up it was fun.

I honestly can't remember what 360 launch game was the must have one.

I feel like it might have been Call of Duty 2, but I know Perfect Dark Zero was hyped a lot...

#293 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

I think thats the thing though, 360/Ps3 didnt have any must get games at launch. Main reason why the PS2 was out selling the Ps3 was because there was so many games to get for ps2 and nothing really for ps3. PS3 had HD graphics but most people back then didnt have HD tvs to see the difference.

I bet if Microsoft still were supplying the first Xbox while the 360 was out, you would have seen the 360 sales not be as high.

The first real "must have" on the 360 was likely oblivion that came out in late march 2006.

#294 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

Will PS4/720 have any "must have" exclusives though? I'm not seeing anything that will be for a long time either. Unless of course Versus XIII is a PS4 launch game (lol) and Halo 2 remake is on 720. But even then I think their appeal to get people to buy hardware for it is somewhat limited.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#295 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

Will PS4/720 have any "must have" exclusives though? I'm not seeing anything that will be for a long time either. Unless of course Versus XIII is a PS4 launch game (lol) and Halo 2 remake is on 720. But even then I think their appeal to get people to buy hardware for it is somewhat limited.

Any average exclusive is a must have for early adopters. A great exclusive at launch is usually just an average game if released any other time in the consoles life.

#296 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

The exclusive that the 360 had in the beginning was actual high definition graphics and a viable online experience. And once halo 3 hit, it was their game to lose.

#297 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

People seem to forgot how little HD graphics meant at the start considering hardly anyone owned HD tvs.

If they did matter, the Wii wouldnt have taken off as much as it did.

#298 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

People seem to forgot how little HD graphics meant at the start considering hardly anyone owned HD tvs.

While there is more truth to this than is usually conceded, the Wii certainly never excelled at certain types of very popular games.

Those would be most sports and most online FPS games. The Wii's online system was vastly inferior to the 360/PS3s. While Tiger Woods golf did well on the system, no other sports game sold really well there and while the Wii could competently do FPS games, they couldnt do anything with multi-player. There are more than a few comparisons that could be made between Metroid Prime and Halo, but Halo always sold more and part of the reason was the well made multiplayer.

#299 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

The Wii sold to a new market of consumer that happened to not care about graphics. The 360 was already a huge hit(especially with the gaming enthusiast) by the time the Wii came out.

#300 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

If you look at it objectively, there were many factors that made the 360 do as well as it did.

Globally, the 360 never did catch on.