Photo
- - - - -

Wii U poor sales confirmed BY NINTENDO! Blasterman poor troll confirmed BY BLASTERMAN

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
749 replies to this topic

#31 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Um the Vita isn't selling because it has almost no games on it and it requires a really expensive memory card as an additional purchase. Game downloads are also huge on this thing, I am not sure if the Sony thing of having to have double memory just to download something applies but still the prices are painful and the capacity is small for what we are expected to do with it, not including the extra space required to use its extra movies and music features. If they made a model with 32GB storage built in and charged $299 for it I am sure it would be selling more. Not having a UMD trade in or some way to get your PSP games onto the Vita is also killing this thing, how many people would have bought one if they knew they could transfer all their PSP games over and play them on the Vita digitally in some way. I know I would have.

Over the last 2 months Vita bundles (game + memory card) could be had for around $200 at different stores. Sony Store has the memory cards on sale at 50%OFF right now. So you could easily buy a Vita and a 32GB memory card for less than $250. Assuming you sell or trade in your other memory card. Also, it's easy to blame Sony for forcing us to buy memory cards but we completely ignore the role piracy played on PSP's attach rate. The PSP had one of the worst attach rates of any game console in the last decade. Having said all of this I don't own a Vita myself because I already have an iPhone and an iPad which are more than enough for my mobile/handheld gaming needs. What I don't understand is the lack of support for Vita by gamers who hate everything Apple and supposedly "support" hardcore games.
Xecutioner
CML

#32 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Sony's hardware divisions aren't a reason for a higher market cap. Those divisions are reasons for a LOWER market cap. They produce losses. Sony's on it's way to bankruptcy because of Japanese corporate culture. They're unable to cut divisions that are unprofitable. They need to cut costs of the TV divisions, eliminate them, or spin them off to a Chinese firm that can make a profit from them. I think that they would see this as a humiliation unlike an American firm (like IBM that spun it's PC division off to Lenovo). In other words, Sony's issues aren't and market cap is a terrible comparison as their video game division isn't the reason for this. Sony has about 160,000 employees while Nintendo has less than 5,000. Nintendo also has twice as much cash on hand as Sony. it's no wonder that Nintendo has a higher market cap, they're in a much better position financially.

Wait what. Nintendo is in better shape because it has sold systems for profit this last gen and they have a pretty solid attach rate especially in their handheld department. Plus, Nintendo is not posting losses like Sony has been. Their gaming department is bleeding money just like the rest of their company. It is true that they are not hemorrhaging money as badly as their TV department but Sony is posting losses almost across the board.

What I said earlier is that gamers are moving to the PC because it has better graphics and that when new consoles (not the Wii U) come out, they'll come back to consoles which will be way superior to PC in terms of graphics.

How does that solve development costs? Why would developers abandon a profitable market (PC gaming) to risk everything on the console side?
Xecutioner
CML

#33 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Wait what. Nintendo is in better shape because it has sold systems for profit this last gen and they have a pretty solid attach rate especially in their handheld department. Plus, Nintendo is not posting losses like Sony has been. Their gaming department is bleeding money just like the rest of their company. It is true that they are not hemorrhaging money as badly as their TV department but Sony is posting losses almost across the board.

How does that solve development costs? Why would developers abandon a profitable market (PC gaming) to risk everything on the console side?

You were saying that Sony had a lower market cap even though they had tvs and such. I was saying that tvs are a reason it's even worse. It seems like you're taking my posts by themselves without looking at what I replied to.

#34 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

There's bias and there's realism. Unlike you guys I have no vested interest in the console's success and can see the facts more clearly. Back when everyone was saying the Wii was a fad and going to fail I told people it would succeed. Now I say this will sell poorly. I predict less than 50 million lifetime sales. Bookmark the post and come back and build me a shrine.

What vested interest do you think we have? How many of us have stock in nintendo? I certainly don't.

At least then it would be understandable. You just try to denigrate nintendo for absolutely no reason. Why the hate, man? Live and let live. Or in this case, game and let game.

If Nintendo fails, does that make your life better?

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#35 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:32 AM

What I said earlier is that gamers are moving to the PC because it has better graphics and that when new consoles (not the Wii U) come out, they'll come back to consoles which will be way superior to PC in terms of graphics.

Wait, so PC graphics are expected to just stop improving at some point in the next year while consoles just improve forever?

Plus with PS3 remote play you can basically PLay your PS3 games on your PSP Go anywhere you are basically making it a Portable PS3

But Metroid sucks. I consider it Gunpei Yokoi's worst creation, even beating the Virtual Boy.

RE: XBox ONE

at least they change their name and not name their systems 1,2,3,4

#36 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

When the new consoles come out they will maybe be on par with a good PC at best, from the few details the have been released the graphics jump between the new xbox and the 360 is supposed to be less than that from the 360 and the original xbox.

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#37 dustdust

dustdust

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

I still think the Wii U has quite good potential, but the touch-screen controller could be a turn off for some casual gamers. I Know they have a Pro controller available, but many casual gamers aren't going to do the research to figure that out or want to shell out more money just for a controller that should already be packaged with the system

Untitled.png

747905.png

#38 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

While it's true the sales aren't really that amazing I would say they are good enough for what there is now. We definitely have to wait and see when more games start coming out and even when there are just more games/release dates announced for the system (I own one right now and am looking forward to Monster Hunter/Smash/Zelda/Pikmin and such and know a few people that are just waiting for those games to buy the system)

659629.png?68329996

#39 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Just a few months ago, bestbuy and some other stores still had them. Now I don't see them. I even bought one as a spare when they hit clearance at target about a year ago.

How else will you play all your old ps2 games when your ps2 breaks in the age of no BC consoles since they want to gouge you into rebuying it as an...

emulation.

I'm just going to ignore the topic and post of this instead. ;)

Hmm...I think I'm onto something there. So even when there aren't anymore working PS2's around you still will be able to play PS2 games, but on a computer with a USB to dual shock adapter. And it'll look a lot nicer too when you do it.

If that was the true, then why has the industry (overall sales figures) shrunk the last 2 or 3 years. Also, why are all of these developers and publishers going out of business?

Smart Phones and Tablets. That's where a lot of the Wii casuals moved onto after abandoning console land.

Also someone pointed out there are no more developers going out of business now than there has been in the past, in fact there are probably more devs now than in the past, its just harder to get your product recognized than it used to be, and if they aren't successful they close shop, find some like minded people and start again, or move onto other things and someone else takes their place and tries for themselves.

If that was the case then why are all of these developers closing up shop. Furthermore, why is the Vita stuttering out of the gate. The Vita by all indications should be the ideal system for most of the traditional gaming demographic. Yet it won't sell.

No games, no killer app. There must be a decent amount of great games for people to buy something, also hype. The name is stupid for one, second and I think I already mentioned this....Smart Phones and Tablets.

They deliver a similar exp. to what you get on a handheld, and costs as much or more than those things and it does less as well. If Sony doesn't get 1st and 3rd party support out there, it isn't going to fly. My personal reasons not to have one right now. Price, not enough games (I want at least a dozen titles before committing) and most importantly no TV out, unlike it's older brother, the PSP.

The Dreamcast didn't fail because no one was playing video games, everyone just bought a PS1 or an N64.

In this case no one wants it because Smartphones have disrupted that market.

The DC didn't fail (as bad as you think), Sega killed it (Peter Moore as pres. of Sega US to be exact). Plus it was the PS2 that was the thing people were waiting for, the PS1 and especially not the N64 for had very little to do with the DC's demise.

And as I've said for over 10 years, the GAMES MAKE A SYSTEM.

That should be anyone's creed when it comes to buying a system. For me the Wii U has 2 games that I'd like to play, Zombie U and Pikmin 3, which isn't even out. But honestly the thing that concerns me is 3rd party support which it has lacked since the N64 era. They get so much support on their handhelds it isn't funny, but their console is like a ghost town when it comes to exclusive 3rd party titles.

Anyway I'm not going to continue on that line of thought as to not detract from my comments (I could go on and have before on that tract) I know people buy Nintendo to play Nintendo games, but that used to not be the case and it's shame that it has become that way from the N64 era through to today.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#40 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Alright, you fanboys win. In sure every Nintendo product will always be a success for the rest of time. Good luck with your new console. Don't be bitter when the price drops $100 later this year! Just remember, it was worth the extra $100 to play new super Mario bros 55 and all those ports for games you already played on the other consoles 3 years ago!

#41 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Alright, you fanboys win. In sure every Nintendo product will always be a success for the rest of time. Good luck with your new console. Don't be bitter when the price drops $100 later this year! Just remember, it was worth the extra $100 to play new super Mario bros 55 and all those ports for games you already played on the other consoles 3 years ago!

Seems like you're the only one on here that's bitter. Everyone else is just enjoying what they enjoy.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#42 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Seems like you're the only one on here that's bitter. Everyone else is just enjoying what they enjoy.

I said good luck.
http://www.examiner....-not-investable
Nintendo and Wii U to become nearly irrelevant, THQ not investable

#43 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

I said good luck.

Good luck and yet you throw out more doom and gloom. You're hilarious.

Pachter was also the one that said WiiU would be sold out everywhere. So which is it?

Btw, Pachter also said, "I think the launch lineup is better, and they are at the same price, so assume that Vita is ahead of 3DS for first 3 months."

:rofl: I am not hating on the Vita but could he have been more wrong?

Edited by confoosious, 12 January 2013 - 04:03 PM.

Ees7Y.jpg

#44 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

I said good luck.

Is this really the best thing you've got going in your life right now that you endlessly post about how the Wii U is/will fail? I mean good god, put it to rest already.

#45 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Is this really the best thing you've got going in your life right now that you endlessly post about how the Wii U is/will fail? I mean good god, put it to rest already.

And...the reverse could be said to you people that think the Wii U is a good purchase (it is not).

#46 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

And...the reverse could be said to you people that think the Wii U is a good purchase (it is not).

No it's not dude. It's not nearly the same thing.

He's not going around linking story after story trying to convince people that they should buy a WiiU because it's gonna be TEH AWESOME.

That's the reverse of what you're doing. You're trying to convince people NOT to buy a WiiU because OMGZ, Nintendo is DOOOOOMED. :whee:

It's really sad.

Most of us don't care if other people buy the wiiU. Yeah, in the long run, it means more support but we're not going around leading cheers for it the way you're leading hate.

Ees7Y.jpg

#47 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Nope, not the same at all. Buying a video game system and enjoying it means you have a particular taste in video games. Dedicating your online experience to lambasting a system makes you the online equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church, hating for no other reason than to hate.

#48 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I don't get you Blaster man, didn't you say you wanted to own a Wii U but just not at this price? You posted those links on EA and Activision, you have to remember they don't make consoles either so the risk they are taking is minimal to moderate.

They have a handful of titles that make lots of money for them, one day people are going to get tired of Call of Duty, EA is more diversified as a company something has always seemed off about it for me. It went from being primarily a Madden and Sims company to exploding into what it is now.

#49 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Like the 3DS, it's slightly overpriced. Once they drop $50-$75 the WiiU will be fine.

#50 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

Like the 3DS, it's slightly overpriced. Once they drop $50-$75 the WiiU will be fine.

I think the pricedrop for 3DS certainly helped it along but you can't marginalize the strong library they started building around the same time as the pricedrop. Stuff like Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and now New Super Mario 2 are also helping to move systems.

#51 Chris in Cali

Chris in Cali

Mr. Negativity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Too expensive. Stupid name causing confusion. Poor advertising. Lack of games/announced games and no system sellers. No leap in graphics or functionality from current consoles.

#52 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Too expensive. Stupid name causing confusion. Poor advertising. Lack of games/announced games and no system sellers. No leap in graphics or functionality from current consoles.

Agree, and add that the gamepad is a distracting "feature" that sapped huge resources away from the console itself due to its high expense. This is why the basic console specs are so low; they had to devote a large chunk of money to production of the gamepad.

I played the Rayman demo at a kiosk, and found the constant prompts to "look at your gamepad" during the game to be beyond distracting.

I wish Nintendo could just put out solidly designed hardware without resorting to gimmicks (like 3D on the 3DS and the gamepad on the Wii U); but I guess they think that they can only compete by offering something supposedly unique. In the end these end up being nothing more than distractions that take away from the potential of the main product, which in this case is the console or handheld.

#53 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

How about them AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Agree, and add that the gamepad is a distracting "feature" that sapped huge resources away from the console itself due to its high expense. This is why the basic console specs are so low; they had to devote a large chunk of money to production of the gamepad.

I played the Rayman demo at a kiosk, and found the constant prompts to "look at your gamepad" during the game to be beyond distracting.

I wish Nintendo could just put out solidly designed hardware without resorting to gimmicks (like 3D on the 3DS and the gamepad on the Wii U); but I guess they think that they can only compete by offering something supposedly unique. In the end these end up being nothing more than distractions that take away from the potential of the main product, which in this case is the console or handheld.

I agree but sad to say we all know both competitors will try integrating a device to compete with Nintendo ie. Vita + PS3/PS4 or Xbox and a dildo ... I mean look at move and kinect. the times where you would have genuine games for each platform are dead. :(

Sleep+Hastings.png

#54 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

I don't get you Blaster man, didn't you say you wanted to own a Wii U but just not at this price? You posted those links on EA and Activision, you have to remember they don't make consoles either so the risk they are taking is minimal to moderate.

They have a handful of titles that make lots of money for them, one day people are going to get tired of Call of Duty, EA is more diversified as a company something has always seemed off about it for me. It went from being primarily a Madden and Sims company to exploding into what it is now.

Oh I'm still getting it. I've never said I won't get it or that its a bad system. It's perfectly fine and ill get it. What I think is that the price is too high for what's about to become (effectively) last gen gaming. I also think they've lost the casual market and that you'll see really bad sales in the coming months (worse than expected for this time of the year). I believe a $50 price drop hits this year and possibly $100. There's a good chance you can get the deluxe bundles with Nintendo Land and a second game all for $250 (the Basic will probably dropped).

In other words, it's fine and I will buy one but want everyone on the fence to know that buying before the imminent price drop is a huge mistake.

#55 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

imminent requires a timeframe. And that time frame is soon. Are you saying there will be a price drop soon?

Ees7Y.jpg

#56 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

Oh I'm still getting it. I've never said I won't get it or that its a bad system. It's perfectly fine and ill get it. What I think is that the price is too high for what's about to become (effectively) last gen gaming. I also think they've lost the casual market and that you'll see really bad sales in the coming months (worse than expected for this time of the year). I believe a $50 price drop hits this year and possibly $100. There's a good chance you can get the deluxe bundles with Nintendo Land and a second game all for $250 (the Basic will probably dropped).

In other words, it's fine and I will buy one but want everyone on the fence to know that buying before the imminent price drop is a huge mistake.

My guess is that if there is a price drop within the first year, Nintendo would do something similar as they did with early 3DS adopters when they slashed the price. Totally a guess though. I wouldn't be suprised if they cut $50 off when the Xbox and/or PS4 is released (if they do get released this year).

#57 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

AmbassadorU program coming soon!!!!

#58 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:35 AM

They shouldnt've gone HD. They looked at the competition and saw 3 consecutive HD consoles losing between 4 and 6 billion dollars each, and said, we want in on that. Brilliant.

They shouldve doubled down with the Wii, which was doing fine before they pulled support. With that marketshare they couldve waited as long as 2-3 years after the launch of the PS4/Xbox to launch something. The PS2 peaked in 2002 and dropped every year from then on out. Nintendo saw the same year over year drop and got scared.

SD wouldve likely allowed easier 2+ screen support, as you're trasmitting dramatically less information. It wouldve allowed a lower price point. The competition would have no chance to co-opt it as it would be a mid-cycle launch.

Now that they've made their bed, theres not much they can do. PS3 showed us that the damage done by a high price point isnt entirely remedied just by dropping the price. Nintendo has a robust enough development team(s) that they may able to make it look look a little better than the previous 3 HD consoles, but this is a low, low bar for Nintendo to have sunk. Hopefully they achieve Miyamoto's goal of completely divorcing video games from the TV soon, because their future in traditional home consoles looks bleak.

#59 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

Wow that is the worst post of this thread and that's saying a lot.

Ees7Y.jpg

#60 Demolition Man

Demolition Man

REV-OH-LU-TION!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

You know as much as I love Nintendo I have to say so far Nintendo has kinda failed with the Wii U. So far the casuals that I talk to at my store have no idea what this system is even after I explain it and seem to be happy with their existing Wii system. Not to mention the lack of a title to get said casuals excited about this system is really going to hurt Nintendo. Heck just bringing up "New Super Mario Bros U" simply gets an "well there's a nearly identical game here on the Wii so why do I need this new system for this game?"

I really want the Wii U to be successful. I really like what Nintendo has to offer with this system hardware wise and I think once Nintendo gets the expected big titles out then the system will take off. The sad fact for now at least most people don't see the value of the system which I can understand. Just adding in HDMI and a touch screen controller isn't quite enough for the casuals. Heck most casuals I suspect probably have their Wii hooked up via the included composite cable so HDMI means very little to them even on their fancy HDTV.

Edited by Demolition Man, 14 January 2013 - 05:46 AM.

New sig coming soon.