Photo
- - - - -

Wii U poor sales confirmed BY NINTENDO! Blasterman poor troll confirmed BY BLASTERMAN

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
749 replies to this topic

#241 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

I had no idea it did that well. If you add them together they are number 2 after Wii Sports...

The entire Wii game series did well, launching Wii U without something like that was extremely odd and yet another of the many things Nintendo could have done to better push Wii U.

#242 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

Wii U fit should be out by summer. They launched with a Mario game partly because people complained there wasnt one with the 3DS.

#243 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

I am not saying its good by any means but pretty much any console is like this at launch, it's sad too because there are people with money willing to buy these games but no games are coming out and it's delay after delay as far as the ones that were supposed to come out. If better planning was to take place regarding these launches then this would not happen.

Also delaying games they are saying are coming out is inexcusable, if the game is not ready then list the release date 6 months into the future or just plain don't talk about the game until it will be ready on the date you say for sure.

I am not sure about the Wii fit, if people will be willing to buy another one, all my GS stores are filled with stacks of unused balance boards and I personally picked up a Wii fit for $5 at a yard sale. While sales were good for the Wii fit the attach rate was extremely low after the first month or so of ownership. This isn't good for future sales because people feel burned by it so they are likely not to buy it again. Everyone in my family got a Wii fit but no one used it for more than a month.

Believe me I have been burned by Nintendo before, it's not happening again, however I bought my 3DS a month ago and I am very satisfied, you really do need to wait at least 2 years for a Nintendo console to take shape.

#244 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

I am not sure about the Wii fit, if people will be willing to buy another one, all my GS stores are filled with stacks of unused balance boards and I personally picked up a Wii fit for $5 at a yard sale. While sales were good for the Wii fit the attach rate was extremely low after the first month or so of ownership. This isn't good for future sales because people feel burned by it so they are likely not to buy it again. Everyone in my family got a Wii fit but no one used it for more than a month.

I think the problem with the Wii Fit is the problem every exercise thing has. Everyone buys them saying oh yeah I will use them, get healthier but after a month they are like Fuck this, this is work :lol:.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#245 TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

Believe me I have been burned by Nintendo before, it's not happening again, however I bought my 3DS a month ago and I am very satisfied, you really do need to wait at least 2 years for a Nintendo console to take shape.

Am I the only one old enough to remember the N64 launch? Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. That was it. Compared to that, we practically drowned in game releases for the Wii U launch. :)

#246 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

I think the problem with the Wii Fit is the problem every exercise thing has. Everyone buys them saying oh yeah I will use them, get healthier but after a month they are like Fuck this, this is work :lol:.

My wife and I have been using it for years. I don't exercise with it, I have machines for that but I use it to track weight....it's what I use the Wii for more than anything else.

#247 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:12 AM

Actually, my wife had the opposite issue with Wii Fit. She didn't think it worked you hard enough. Like Blaster Man, I used the board a long time as a weight management tool.
Posted Image

#248 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

The problem with the Wii fit is that the activities get old, you can only do the same thing so many times. After a month or 2 you have done everything on the disc. So really it's lack of support for the balance board and not enough activities on the Wii fit disc. I know they released Wii Fit plus but I think that was just too little too late. If they released a version for the Wii U and updated it frequently with new downloadable activities then I think it would collect less dust. The Wii fit is one franchise that should have 1-2 games per year for it.

Say what you want about it but the Kinect is at least well supported with several to many different fitness titles available for it, I actually feel like I have more than enough games for it and some that I have not played yet.

#249 io

io

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Yeah, but on the flip side, note that they did launch with a game whose predecessor was the #5 all-time selling Wii game. I'm sure they thought that was more than enough for the launch. Yes, sure, there are other factors there (NSMB was no longer a new thing like it was with the Wii version plus there's NSMB 2 on the 3DS). But still, you have to think they looked at that as a big-time seller just based on the very list you are using to say they need to release Wii Fit.

And let's not forget that NintendoLand is supposed to cover the same niche as the #1, #3, and #4 sellers there (Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, and Wii Play) by being a showcase game for the new interface/controller setup. Obviously, it doesn't have the same mass appeal as those did - but still, they definitely tried to emulate what was successful for the Wii right out of the gate. You guys act like they ignored everything that happened before. If anything, maybe they tried a little too hard to copy what worked with the Wii but this time around they didn't have the novelty, the cheapness, or the market conditions that they had in 2006.

#250 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Kinect but have a lot of games but doesn't mean any of them are worth playing.

#251 wugenius

wugenius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Am I the only one old enough to remember the N64 launch? Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. That was it. Compared to that, we practically drowned in game releases for the Wii U launch. :)

I remember that launch. Luckily Mario was a phenomenal game.

#252 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

I think Wii Fit+ could be a lot better. The yoga activities are interesting but they are short and not continuous. You spend nearly as much time clicking the remote and listening to speeches as exercising. The My Routine section is good but it is a minor feature in the game. You only get one custom routine and you still must press buttons in between each exercise. So you have to get up off your hands and knees, find the remote and point at the screen to advance.

Some of the mini games are fun, but they are more like wii sports than actual exercise. My wife used the dance step a lot, but was unimpressed with how it would stop the song if you ever lost the beat.

The software has a lot of potential, but seems to be unsure what it wants to be, and is limited to the Wii. It would be great if you could, say view your weight progress online (without using the Wii) or on an iphone app. Managing your diet and counting calories could also be a great addition.

#253 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Wii Fit Plus has Bobsledding and a Trampoline mini-game.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#254 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Actually, my wife had the opposite issue with Wii Fit. She didn't think it worked you hard enough. Like Blaster Man, I used the board a long time as a weight management tool.

You misread what I said. I said we use it to weigh ourselves but not for exercise. I have machines (ie: a treadmill and an elliptical) that I own and use for actual exercise.

#255 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Oh, hey, it's another self-entitled man-child with an unreasonable vendetta against a video game company, and he's taken up a pathetic, personal crusade to unveil the "harsh truth" about how badly Nintendo is doing on a forum where nobody actually cares. I won't get into the importance of competition in Nintendo's history and the context of video games, because you're obviously a belligerent, passive-aggessive fool who can't be reasoned with. And honestly, I couldn't give a shit about what you think; one sentence into your last tirade where you justified posting all the dirt you can find on Nintendo "so ppl wil no da troof derp" and I'm surprised everyone hasn't blocked you. Must be hard to go under the false moniker "Blaster man" when you have more estrogen than your "wife." Does it sometimes feel like someone else's "wife" when you sit on "her" for an extended period of time?

Seriously, where have you seen anyone of any significance say the Wii U was doing well? Who are these reliable sources you're vehemently disproving? This thing you have against Nintendo seems to be more in your head than on these forums, because everyone who has looked at a video game website, magazine, watched any sort of video game-related show, or listened to any video game-related podcast knows that the Wii U is selling poorly. If anything, you're misconstruing facts and throwing them in the face of Nintendo fans because your childlike mind gleans satisfaction from watching Nintendo sales plummet, and that is much more idiotic and pointless than any misinformed, albeit insignificant, voice saying Nintendo sales are up.

And that makes you an ass.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#256 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Oh, hey, it's another self-entitled man-child with an unreasonable vendetta against a video game company, and he's taken up a pathetic, personal crusade to unveil the "harsh truth" about how badly Nintendo is doing on a forum where nobody actually cares. I won't get into the importance of competition in Nintendo's history and the context of video games, because you're obviously a belligerent, passive-aggessive fool who can't be reasoned with. And honestly, I couldn't give a shit about what you think; one sentence into your last tirade where you justified posting all the dirt you can find on Nintendo "so ppl wil no da troof derp" and I'm surprised everyone hasn't blocked you. Must be hard to go under the false moniker "Blaster man" when you have more estrogen than your "wife." Does it sometimes feel like someone else's "wife" when you sit on "her" for an extended period of time?

Seriously, where have you seen anyone of any significance say the Wii U was doing well? Who are these reliable sources you're vehemently disproving? This thing you have against Nintendo seems to be more in your head than on these forums, because everyone who has looked at a video game website, magazine, watched any sort of video game-related show, or listened to any video game-related podcast knows that the Wii U is selling poorly. If anything, you're misconstruing facts and throwing them in the face of Nintendo fans because your childlike mind gleans satisfaction from watching Nintendo sales plummet, and that is much more idiotic and pointless than any misinformed, albeit insignificant, voice saying Nintendo sales are up.

Wow, who pissed in your wheaties today? Chill dude.

#257 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

The wii u is a disaster worldwide.

the 3ds is a disaster in every place in the world other then japan.

deal with it.

#258 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Anyone trying to assert the 3ds is a failure despite selling 30 million is just straight up trolling. That's more units in 2 years than the original Xbox sold over its entire lifetime...

#259 renique46

renique46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

The mad is strong in this one.

#260 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I get a lot more use (and exercise) out of Kinect than I ever did the Wii Balance Board. I suppose if I was into Yoga it would be different. Wii Fit was either too much like exercise, or was only marginally - barely - exercise (the games).

Crunchewy.png

#261 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Anyone trying to assert the 3ds is a failure despite selling 30 million is just straight up trolling. That's more units in 2 years than the original Xbox sold over its entire lifetime...

Agreed, the 3DS became a big success once they lowered its price...

I get a lot more use (and exercise) out of Kinect than I ever did the Wii Balance Board. I suppose if I was into Yoga it would be different. Wii Fit was either too much like exercise, or was only marginally - barely - exercise (the games).

WiiFit is bad as an exercise program. How do you keep your heart rate up when you're navigating menus every 2 minutes? It's good as a way to track weight.

#262 Indiana

Indiana

Over 3 decades of gaming!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

You have made your point clear though. You personally just want to buy the console for 249.99.

Its not like you posting every chance you get on every article you find on the Internet is going to make that price point happen faster.

System needs games. Once games come out (holiday time) system will see sharp sales move up at 349.99.

I don't see that happening. The PS4 and Xbox 3 will be out during the next holiday at similar pricing and I expect it will steal any hope of Nintendo having a banner holiday in 2013.

#263 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

I think you guys are dreaming if you think PS4 and neXtbox are going to be less than $399. With Connect and all that stuff, there's no way for MS to go that low. Sony won't do it either. I see both of those being at least $399, and Nintendo should smartly drop the Deluxe to $299 with digital Nintendo Land--one SKU only, except for limited time special bundles.

#264 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

And the new PS and Xbox will have the same problem: few games, high prices and minor improvements. Makers will be wary of investing in new hardware when existing systems have massive install bases. People will make the same complaint that they're "failures" because more people bought PS360 bundles at a discount than the new consoles.

//why am i posting in sales figure threads augh

#265 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

I think it's possible that at least Microsoft will offer a contract version of the 720 with a 2 year Live Gold subscription, and initial low cost. $199 with 2 years of Live service, or something like that. This would probably be appealing for at least some. Sony may offer something similar with a 2 year contract on paying for PS+. It's a way to get the latest and greatest at an initial low cost, and a kind of loan with benefits. I.e. going the cell phone route - reduced price with contract.

Crunchewy.png

#266 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

I think it's possible that at least Microsoft will offer a contract version of the 720 with a 2 year Live Gold subscription, and initial low cost. $199 with 2 years of Live service, or something like that. This would probably be appealing for at least some. Sony may offer something similar with a 2 year contract on paying for PS+. It's a way to get the latest and greatest at an initial low cost, and a kind of loan with benefits. I.e. going the cell phone route - reduced price with contract.

This. I think MS will definitely do this. I've had people disparage me and tell me I'm stupid/an idiot and that its a huge waste of money for consumers. This is cheap ass gamer. We aren't the normal consumers and people coming here with the assumption this is how most people buy is a mistake. I'm sure they'll do a subsidized console and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a lot of people willing to pay more over 2 years. It's not THAT bad anyway.

If you assume that the average consumer gets a year of live at $40 (which I doubt), that's $480+tax. To buy outright with a discounted live membership.

The you have:
200 + tax + 360 (15 * 24) = 560 + tax.

480 vs 560 - most states have sales tax between 5 and 10%.
Even if you assume only 5% sales tax on the subsidized console:
Including tax it's $500 vs. $570

So assuming the consumer gets 2 years of memberships at 40 a year instead of 60 and that their sales tax is only 5%, anyone that wants the console and will already want XBL will only be paying $70 more over 2 years to pay $200 less up front. I bet a lot of people do that. Most wont even do the math.

If they live someplace like FL with 10% sales tax and they regularly pay $60 for their annual membership, this only costs them $10 more and would be a no brained.

I think this forces a $100 price drop on the Wii U.

#267 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Between them seeing how the cell phone market can support this practice and their own tests with the $99 Xbox 360, I think it's pretty clear this program will expand with their new console. Perhaps even to the point that you can only buy it under contract (but I think that might be a bit of a long-shot). Microsoft will no doubt see Xbox live as an integral part of their system much in the same way cell phone service is essential to the use of a cell phone. I could be wrong, and I'm hoping I am because it sets a really crappy tone for the direction of the video game industry if it succeeds.

#268 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

People that already have running XBL substitutions won't touch it.

Im sure Microsoft will do it, im sure there will be some people that buy it. But its still a rip off no matter how you look at it.

Honestly, until they even announce what launch games will be out for 720/Ps4, wont have any idea how well it will sale.

With Halo 4 and Gears of War already coming out, unless they have some new IP to launch,what exactly is the 720 going to offer?

#269 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

People that already have running XBL substitutions won't touch it.

Im sure Microsoft will do it, im sure there will be some people that buy it. But its still a rip off no matter how you look at it.

Honestly, until they even announce what launch games will be out for 720/Ps4, wont have any idea how well it will sale.

With Halo 4 and Gears of War already coming out, unless they have some new IP to launch,what exactly is the 720 going to offer?

Of course it's a rip off. I addressed that in my post. In terms of subsidies and/or accounts you pay interest on - they're all rip offs. I still think they will sell A LOT like this. As I mentioned above, not to CAG's but you can't base the regular population off of us.

#270 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

It would be interesting to see how many 99 dollar 360s they have sold doing this.

Again, its a good enough "deal" for some people, but if it doesnt have some awesome game(s) at lunch, I don't think people will go for it.

A large amount of the people that would fall for that are people that use their 360 mostly for netflix, hulu, etc so they would see no point to upgrade.