Can anyone help me pick out a good gaming TV?

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
It's time for me to upgrade my TV. I've got a pretty old 720p Toshiba that's kinda large and clunky and has a little burn-in.

I'm not very tech savvy, so I need a little help picking out a TV. I'd like to spend around $400-500, maybe $600 if necessary. I've done some reading and I found that people have said I should look for a high refresh rate and high contrast ratio. I'd like at least 37'' as well. I also intend to have several consoles hooked up to it at once, including old school, so I need composite, component and HDMI ports. One of each will do, as I intend to buy switch boxes to compensate.

This is the TV I'm currently looking at:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/4833565.p?id=1218538974886&skuId=4833565

Is there anything this one is missing that I should be looking for? Does anyone have any suggestions of other TVs?

I would greatly appreciate the help!

A tv like the one you posted can be purchased for $350 or less, it may not be a Samsung but it would be comparable. If you up your buy price to maybe around $800 you can get a better tv for your buck.

I suggest looking on sites like blu-ray.com or highdefdigest.com as you get more people asking the same question that you have.

Yea, just seemed to be a lot of people more versed in stuff like this than I am.

I definitely don't want to go any higher than $800.

Would you mind telling me what you mean when I could get a better tv for my buck? What features would be better? I don't really care for the internet connectivity and things like that.

[quote name='AugustAPC']It's time for me to upgrade my TV. I've got a pretty old 720p Toshiba that's kinda large and clunky and has a little burn-in.

I'm not very tech savvy, so I need a little help picking out a TV. I'd like to spend around $400-500, maybe $600 if necessary. I've done some reading and I found that people have said I should look for a high refresh rate and high contrast ratio. I'd like at least 37'' as well. I also intend to have several consoles hooked up to it at once, including old school, so I need composite, component and HDMI ports. One of each will do, as I intend to buy switch boxes to compensate.

This is the TV I'm currently looking at:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/4833565.p?id=1218538974886&skuId=4833565

Is there anything this one is missing that I should be looking for? Does anyone have any suggestions of other TVs?

I would greatly appreciate the help![/QUOTE]
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panason...41224061&skuId=4841493&st=TC-P50U50&cp=1&lp=1

If your looking for high refresh rate and high contrast ratio, a plasma tv is what your looking for. The downside is that the smallest tv I could find for you with decent reviews is this 50" panasonic at $600.

Something like this tv, not a top of the line brand as Samsung but still reliable with a great picture and similar in price to what you posted with a lot more better features.

I'd check out an RCA. They're often overlooked but for $400 - $600 your money will go a long way and they actually have a very good picture.

Thanks for the input guys.

What refresh rate is sufficient for console gaming? Also, do plasmas still have problems with burn-in?

Skiiz, I see your point. I'll look at offbrands too.

[quote name='skiizim']Something like this tv, not a top of the line brand as Samsung but still reliable with a great picture and similar in price to what you posted with a lot more better features.[/QUOTE]

Some good suggestions here, really digging this^ one. Is Vizio a good brand?

[quote name='raiden_86']Some good suggestions here, really digging this^ one. Is Vizio a good brand?[/QUOTE]

I've had 2 Vizios and had no problems with either.

[quote name='raiden_86']Some good suggestions here, really digging this^ one. Is Vizio a good brand?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that one doesn't have all the inputs I need. If it only had separate component and composite inputs it'd be great... but alas... :(

I sell tvs and know them pretty well. Personally I love Samsung, but all the ones I've tried to game on have a nasty habit of having pretty high lag input (small lag time in between when you press a button on the controller and the tv actually showing what you did). Some people don't really notice it, but that split second of lag will get you killed if you play COD online. Most of them have a Game Mode, but it kinda lowers the picture quality.

I started using a 32" Sony LCD about 2 years ago and love it. It's 60hz, but I don't really notice any blurring when I play games. Literally the only time I notice it is when any character moves their eyes on South Park. Lag input is also non-existent on it. Also, stay away from RCA. The picture quality is crap compared to other brands and they crap out easily. And yea, plasmas would be ideal for gaming since most of them are 600hz, something only plasmas are capable of (for now). However, the smallest one I can think of is a 43" Samsung, and its pretty crappy. Panasonic makes the best plasmas overall.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Also, stay away from RCA. The picture quality is crap compared to other brands and they crap out easily.[/QUOTE]

I have had an RCA LCD for about three years and is still going strong. Have never had a single issue with it. I shopped for several months trying to deciding and compared to others in its class 40" LCD 60Hz (Panasonic, Sony, even Samsung) the picture quality was surprisingly better and $200+ cheaper. I have no input lag, no dead pixels, no burn in, great sound after 3 years of very heavy usage. Maybe I just got lucky but I'm very satisfied and would consider getting another if this one ever does crap out.

Your best bet though is to pick out about 5 that you like in different brands, read reviews and then go to the store and do an eye and ear test.

I love my Panasonic plasma - I've had it for almost 9(!) years. Picture looks as great as the day I bought it and I would recommend a Panasonic plasma to anyone.

Unfortunately I am in the market for a new TV now since I'm moving into a larger room for TV watching. I'm thinking of going with an LED - anyone have any opinions on those? I'm thinking 70"-80" will do nicely.

[quote name='Javery']I love my Panasonic plasma - I've had it for almost 9(!) years. Picture looks as great as the day I bought it and I would recommend a Panasonic plasma to anyone.

Unfortunately I am in the market for a new TV now since I'm moving into a larger room for TV watching. I'm thinking of going with an LED - anyone have any opinions on those? I'm thinking 70"-80" will do nicely.[/QUOTE]

Let me start by saying that you are better off waiting until this spring for the new crop of TVs to hit the market. However if you must buy something right away now is a good time since we are close to the superbowl.

At 80" you should check out the Sharp LC80LE844U. It's a pretty awesome TV, but at that size I would seriously consider a projector since you would be getting a lot more bang for your buck.

Samsung makes an awesome looking but totally overpriced 75" LED TV.

Now, if you are willing to go down to 65" I would highly recommend the Panasonic VT50 (PLASMA), Sony HX929 series and of course the Sharp Elite. There have been some incredibly good deals on the VT50 the past couple of weeks. I own the 55" version of this TV and could not be happier.

[quote name='Javery']I love my Panasonic plasma - I've had it for almost 9(!) years. Picture looks as great as the day I bought it and I would recommend a Panasonic plasma to anyone.

Unfortunately I am in the market for a new TV now since I'm moving into a larger room for TV watching. I'm thinking of going with an LED - anyone have any opinions on those? I'm thinking 70"-80" will do nicely.[/QUOTE]

Your price range is higher than mine, I would love one of these!

As far as I know this is the only 80 on the market that I know of, from what I read it's not that great for the price your paying. Sharp has this set which is 10" smaller but I haven't really read too much on it.

If you have the money to blow there is always .

I'd look for one with at least 120 Hz for gaming, but it's not a complete necessity. I'm also keeping my eye out for decent gaming TVs since most of my tax return will likely go towards one for the bedroom.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I sell tvs and know them pretty well. Personally I love Samsung, but all the ones I've tried to game on have a nasty habit of having pretty high lag input (small lag time in between when you press a button on the controller and the tv actually showing what you did). Some people don't really notice it, but that split second of lag will get you killed if you play COD online. Most of them have a Game Mode, but it kinda lowers the picture quality.

I started using a 32" Sony LCD about 2 years ago and love it. It's 60hz, but I don't really notice any blurring when I play games. Literally the only time I notice it is when any character moves their eyes on South Park. Lag input is also non-existent on it. Also, stay away from RCA. The picture quality is crap compared to other brands and they crap out easily. And yea, plasmas would be ideal for gaming since most of them are 600hz, something only plasmas are capable of (for now). However, the smallest one I can think of is a 43" Samsung, and its pretty crappy. Panasonic makes the best plasmas overall.[/QUOTE]

There is some discussions as to how well the human eye sees anything beyond 60Hz. 120Hz is considered the upper limit for most people. The advantages of Hz beyond 120 show up on paper but I don't think most people actually see it.

Also, it's worth noting that there are only a handful of companies that actually make the panels for LCD HDTVs so there's a good chance that two different companies are using the similar panels. I know Sharp and LG are two that make panels and their panels are used by Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, and Samsung (for a while at least, Samsung produces panels too I think).

I would suggest getting an LED HDTV. You get brighter colors and better contrast and it doesn't cost all that much more. My brother has an LG one and it's so much better than our Samsung and Sharp LCDs.

One of my personal peeves with HDTVs are ones with glossy screens. Sure they look nice but the glare drives me insane.

In addition to reiterating what others have said, I would recommend buying from Costco if you have the option. The three month return policy and standard 2 year warranty is a good start after you have compared prices from others, and I think you can purchase an additional 2-3 year warranty for pretty cheap. Some TVs still do crap out (even the good brands), and if that should ever happen, Costco is the best place to deal with that sort of thing.

Also, I would look into a TV with as minimum 'extras' as possible if you can do without, as it's just one more thing that could go wrong that you won't even need to use (and paying extra for). I have a 47" Vizio LED LCD from them that was the standard, non internet app package, which my friend (who works in the TV / electronic department in Costco) said the failure rate was higher for the app versions. Of course this is YMMV, but something else to keep in mind.

If I had to buy one over again, I would look a good priced plasma TV, as the input lag is the only gripe I have with my current TV. This is essential if you plan on hooking up some retro consoles, as 280p/480i signals lag significantly more for me than 480p and above, and plasmas would help reduce the converting process lag.

[quote name='kill3r7']Let me start by saying that you are better off waiting until this spring for the new crop of TVs to hit the market. However if you must buy something right away now is a good time since we are close to the superbowl.

At 80" you should check out the Sharp LC80LE844U. It's a pretty awesome TV, but at that size I would seriously consider a projector since you would be getting a lot more bang for your buck.

Samsung makes an awesome looking but totally overpriced 75" LED TV.

Now, if you are willing to go down to 65" I would highly recommend the Panasonic VT50 (PLASMA), Sony HX929 series and of course the Sharp Elite. There have been some incredibly good deals on the VT50 the past couple of weeks. I own the 55" version of this TV and could not be happier.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I'm planning on buying probably in the summer when my room is finished but I may be able to hold out until Black Friday 2013 depending on savings. That 80" Sharp looks amazing but is at the upper limit of my budget (probably out of my budget realistically). Ideally I'd like to keep the TV under $3,000. Maybe it will come down in price over the next few months though (or maybe I can convince the wife into a higher budget).

65" might work just fine - I guess I'll know for sure once I can tape out the location of the TV on the wall. I am putting a projector in the basement for a super large screen (120"-130") but this TV will be in an extremely well lit room - tons of windows so I need to be able to see the picture in the day.

[quote name='Javery']Thanks - I'm planning on buying probably in the summer when my room is finished but I may be able to hold out until Black Friday 2013 depending on savings. That 80" Sharp looks amazing but is at the upper limit of my budget (probably out of my budget realistically). Ideally I'd like to keep the TV under $3,000. Maybe it will come down in price over the next few months though (or maybe I can convince the wife into a higher budget).

65" might work just fine - I guess I'll know for sure once I can tape out the location of the TV on the wall. I am putting a projector in the basement for a super large screen (120"-130") but this TV will be in an extremely well lit room - tons of windows so I need to be able to see the picture in the day.[/QUOTE]

If it's a well lit room I would stay away from Plasma TVs. The best thing you can do is WAIT. TV manufacturers are flooding the market with bigger TVs this year. Thus, prices will inevitably come down. I would steer clear of BF sales because over the last two years the best sales have occurred in January. Also, the Magnolia department (Best Buy) has an annual clearance sale in October and you can get some really incredible deals on TVs, speakers and AVR (don't be shy and negotiate).

Lot of contrasting opinions here...

I play fighting games primarily, so cutting out input lag is the most important thing for me. I guess I need to start looking at plasmas too.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Lot of contrasting opinions here...

I play fighting games primarily, so cutting out input lag is the most important thing for me. I guess I need to start looking at plasmas too.[/QUOTE]
if input lag is the most important to you, stick to panasonic, their tvs has the least intput lag compare to all other brands

[quote name='YBX87']if input lag is the most important to you, stick to panasonic, their tvs has the least intput lag compare to all other brands[/QUOTE]

Plasma TVs are not ideal for fighting games due to image retention and to a lesser extend burn in. Short gaming sessions do not pose a danger but long sessions might expose you to both of these issues. Having said that, Plasmas have gotten better at protecting you from both issues but they are not foolproof.

Newer Plasma TVs actually don't really have that problem anymore, you still have to break the tv in for some god awful amount of time but they sell some kind disc to help you do that.

[quote name='skiizim']Newer Plasma TVs actually don't really have that problem anymore, you still have to break the tv in for some god awful amount of time but they sell some kind disc to help you do that.[/QUOTE]

The slides created by D-Nice which you are referring to do not prevent image retention or burn in. They allow for the pixels to acclimate in a uniform way so you get the best picture possible. A side effect of running the slides is that you reduce the likelihood of image retention which is more likely to occur within the first 150-200hrs of TV usage. As i stated early in the thread, I own a Panasonic plasma VT50 and just went through this process. Nothing out there prevents image retention. The TVs also come with built in tools to reduce the chance of image retention.

I don't know anything about anything but my 9 year old plasma is my only TV (and has been the entire time I've owned it) and I do TONS of gaming on it and there is ZERO burn in. The set does retain an image when you turn it off (very very slight) but only if there is something static on the screen for a while. It is actually most notable after I watch PTI - the effect only lasts for 30 seconds or so.

[quote name='Javery']I don't know anything about anything but my 9 year old plasma is my only TV (and has been the entire time I've owned it) and I do TONS of gaming on it and there is ZERO burn in. The set does retain an image when you turn it off (very very slight) but only if there is something static on the screen for a while. It is actually most notable after I watch PTI - the effect only lasts for 30 seconds or so.[/QUOTE]

That's the image retention that some people freak out about. There are people out there who have some pretty bad image retention from gaming, such as life bars etc. Here's a pretty good article on the topic.
article

[quote name='Javery']I don't know anything about anything but my 9 year old plasma is my only TV (and has been the entire time I've owned it) and I do TONS of gaming on it and there is ZERO burn in. The set does retain an image when you turn it off (very very slight) but only if there is something static on the screen for a while. It is actually most notable after I watch PTI - the effect only lasts for 30 seconds or so.[/QUOTE]

Same experience with all of my Pioneer plasma TVs. 8-, 7-, and 5-years old. I'll admit we babied them the first few months we had them. AVForums members were a huge help. The TVs get a mix of TV/movie watching and gaming. I am not a marathon gamer, but cable news is on a lot. My biggest concern at the time was where to mount them as lighting can be a pain.

I'm waiting for the LEDs to drop (or for one of our TVs to crap out lol).

I'm likely going to get a Panasonic plasma. Now the challenge is finding one around 40'' that has composite, component and HDMI ports.

[quote name='AugustAPC']I'm likely going to get a Panasonic plasma. Now the challenge is finding one around 40'' that has composite, component and HDMI ports.[/QUOTE]

I have a 50 inch penny plasma its vet series with active shutter 3d glasses. Picture is really good but can have some pretty bad it after taking on it for extended periods.

My next TV will be led with local dimming

bread's done
Back