Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Wii U eShop Deals - 9/18: $3.49 Metroid, $11 Pokemon Rumble U, $20 Wii Fit U, and $8 Unepic!

Wii U eShop Nintendo

• Please log in to reply
1940 replies to this topic

#1081 wilflare

wilflare

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:11 AM

Well, with the cards being 20% off and then 5% back from the digital deluxe program, you make out pretty good. Basically getting the game for $35.

this is why I am seriously thinking of cancelling my retail preorder... but decisions :/

Green Man Gaming: Get both of us $2 Credit by signing an account through my referral link HERE and spend $2! :D
Amazon Prime for Students: Sign up HERE

#1082 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

Why am I even contemplating picking up DK digitally?

Ugh, I was supposed to save my balance for MK and Smash, but now there's going to be another eShop sale at best buy.... :D

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#1083 KenKeith

KenKeith

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

DK download is 11-12GB.

#1084 wilflare

wilflare

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:52 AM

Why am I even contemplating picking up DK digitally?

Ugh, I was supposed to save my balance for MK and Smash, but now there's going to be another eShop sale at best buy.... :D

same thoughts here... it makes less sense to buy retail now... especially when there's no deals etc on it now

BBY + DDP = as good as 25% off in some cases

Green Man Gaming: Get both of us $2 Credit by signing an account through my referral link HERE and spend $2! :D

#1085 Kismayaz

Kismayaz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:24 AM

same thoughts here... it makes less sense to buy retail now... especially when there's no deals etc on it now

or 30% in the case of DKCTF

#1086 wilflare

wilflare

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:02 AM

or 30% in the case of DKCTF

you guys are really not making it any easier xD haha should I cancel my retail preorder?

#1087 shivan128

shivan128

CAG at heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

If you start running out of room on your console it will make more sense.  Also, if you plan to replay the games over and over it will make sense.  If you're one and done with games, you should buy retail so you can trade them back in towards the next game.

edaa9c273976.png

My tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=301364

Currently Playing:  :vita: Dragon Fantasy book 2, :3ds: Link's Awakening, :360: DDP SDOJ, :ps3: Rocksmith 2014, :ps4: Dynasty Warriors 8

#1088 wilflare

wilflare

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

If you start running out of room on your console it will make more sense.  Also, if you plan to replay the games over and over it will make sense.  If you're one and done with games, you should buy retail so you can trade them back in towards the next game.

hmm I seldom trade/sell my old games away

#1089 AdamTen

AdamTen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

I did a bit of work today and created a Google Doc with the sales history of the Wii U eShop for those that wish to see what sorts of sales each game has had. It might be missing a few things from before this thread started, so let me know if I missed anything.

This is quite the possibly the greatest thing I've ever seen.

#1090 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

Here are the new deals for this week:

TNT Racers: Nitro Machines Edition - $4.99 - 38% Off - Ends 3/6

Trine 2: Director's Cut - $7.99 - 60% Off - Ends 3/13

Out this week on the eShop is Ice Hockey on the NES Virtual Console for $4.99. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze will be out at midnight for $49.99.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#1091 snakeybro

snakeybro

Bronze Trophy Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

Does DK unlock at 12 am est or pacific time?

Currently Playing:   :ps4: Destiny, Madden 15, Metro Redux, Last of Us Remastered, OlliOlli, Velocity 2X   :3ds: Gunvolt, Zelda: ALBW, Kirby Triple Deluxe, VVVVVV, Super Mario 3D Land    :vita: Dragon's Crown, Metrico, Mega Man X4, TxK, Sly Cooper Trilogy, Phantom Breaker

:xb1: Peggle 2, Madden 15, Diablo 3: UEE, Metro Redux, The Golf Club

solidSNAKE231989.png

20140611-40611011-4gamer-003-1-thumb.jpg

#1092 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

It just says Midnight.

#1093 snakeybro

snakeybro

Bronze Trophy Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

It just says Midnight.

Thats real helpful :D   thanks Nintendo!

Currently Playing:   :ps4: Destiny, Madden 15, Metro Redux, Last of Us Remastered, OlliOlli, Velocity 2X   :3ds: Gunvolt, Zelda: ALBW, Kirby Triple Deluxe, VVVVVV, Super Mario 3D Land    :vita: Dragon's Crown, Metrico, Mega Man X4, TxK, Sly Cooper Trilogy, Phantom Breaker

solidSNAKE231989.png

#1094 Darthstryk3R

Darthstryk3R

Sith Happens!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

silly question but....

does installing a sd card to the wii u expand memory for games? or is it just for saves and such?  Whats the max a wii u can hold?

Steam ID:  Darthstryk3r

#1095 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

Thats real helpful :D   thanks Nintendo!

It's generally always been 11 p.m. central time for me, whatever that means (so midnight eastern, I guess?).  Doesn't mean it will be this time, but is always has been before.

silly question but....

does installing a sd card to the wii u expand memory for games? or is it just for saves and such?  Whats the max a wii u can hold?

You can use it for everything.  SD cards aren't recommended for actually playing stuff from, though, nor are USB drives.  Who knows.  But you can sure use it to put stuff on, which is what I use my 32GB USB flash for until I can get an HDD.

Speed limit for USB is 2.0 (dno speed limit for SD); size limit should be 2 TB across the board unless they remove that limit later.

#1096 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

It's generally always been 11 p.m. central time for me, whatever that means (so midnight eastern, I guess?).  Doesn't mean it will be this time, but is always has been before.

You can use it for everything.  SD cards aren't recommended for actually playing stuff from, though, nor are USB drives.  Who knows.  But you can sure use it to put stuff on, which is what I use my 32GB USB flash for until I can get an HDD.

Speed limit for USB is 2.0 (dno speed limit for SD); size limit should be 2 TB across the board unless they remove that limit later.

What?  I thought the SD card was only for Wii mode?

#1097 rcerboss

rcerboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

DK download is 11-12GB.

Holy.  Fucking.  Shit.

Is this real?  How in the Fuck is a 2D platformer weighing in at over 11 gigs?  I'd make a joke about fur texturing but Fuck... I don't even know how to comprehend this.  I mean that's what, 3 times the size of Pikmin 3?  10 times the size of NSMBU?  I mean Fuck, that 3D Sonic game was only 9GB wasn't it?

I refuse to believe that Retro sucks that badly at optimization/compression.... why is it so big?  I mean is this somehow a 3D platformer and every trailer ever has been a lie or what?  Are we certain that isn't 1.1-1.2 GB?

http://backloggery.c...p?user=rcerboss
Interested in trading Steam Games. I have extra keys for Ship, Machinarium, Sword and Sworcery, Cave Story +, and more Desura games tha I can list ;)

PM me to add me to PSN, Steam, WiiU, or 3DS. Always up for a Brawl matchup too!

#1098 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

silly question but....

USB storage only, I believe:

1. Can I use an SD Card to save game data on the Wii U system?

• For Wii U, SD Cards can be used for saving a picture of your Mii and QR Code patterns for your Mii, but not as an external storage device for Wii U software. SD Cards can, however, be used in Wii mode to save data for Wii games. This data is managed through the Data Management feature in Wii mode. SD cards are also used to transfer data from Wii to Wii U.

http://www.nintendo....nal-usb-storage

#1099 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

What?  I thought the SD card was only for Wii mode?

You might be right about that!  

I refuse to believe that Retro sucks that badly at optimization/compression.... why is it so big?  I mean is this somehow a 3D platformer and every trailer ever has been a lie or what?  Are we certain that isn't 1.1-1.2 GB?

Whether it's a "2D" platformer or a 3D one, it's still rendered using textured 3D polygons, and those textures are what take up the most room, I'm assuming.

Either way, yep, that's big, but you folks wanted HD, and you got it man.

I'm feeling the need for an external HDD pretty badly.  :/

#1100 rcerboss

rcerboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

You might be right about that!  

Whether it's a "2D" platformer or a 3D one, it's still rendered using textured 3D polygons, and those textures are what take up the most room, I'm assuming.

Either way, yep, that's big, but you folks wanted HD, and you got it man.

I'm feeling the need for an external HDD pretty badly.  :/

Yeah, I forgot the 3D polygons.  Still..... 11 gigs seems really, really big for what we are getting based on the trailers and whatnot.

I was considering just downloading some games with all the sales on these eshop cards and the DDP but buy the time I bought an external I wouldn't really be saving any money (unless there's a way to share the external with my PS3/PC?).  Besides, with Nintendo's archaic account system there's no real benefit to digital anyways, and after downloading Tekken and Wii Fit U I doubt I have any memory left  :cry:

Interested in trading Steam Games. I have extra keys for Ship, Machinarium, Sword and Sworcery, Cave Story +, and more Desura games tha I can list ;)

#1101 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

Yeah, I forgot the 3D polygons.  Still..... 11 gigs seems pretty big for what we are getting based on the trailers and whatnot.

I was considering just downloading some games with all the sales on these eshop cards and the DDP but buy the time I bought an external I wouldn't really be saving any money.  After downloading Tekken and Wii Fit U I doubt I have any memory left  :cry:

What's Rayman Legends like for install size?  (I'm too lazy to check, sorry--kind of a rhetorical question anyway)  That's a gorgeous game and totally 2D, literally 2D, but I would imagine it's pretty hefty as well.  And after all, the textures on the polygons are just 2D images pasted onto 3D shapes.

But yeah, I still agree--seems enormous.  And I don't think NSMBU is too huge, for comparison-sake...  Hmm!

#1102 rcerboss

rcerboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

What's Rayman Legends like for install size?  (I'm too lazy to check, sorry--kind of a rhetorical question anyway)  That's a gorgeous game and totally 2D, literally 2D, but I would imagine it's pretty hefty as well.  And after all, the textures on the polygons are just 2D images pasted onto 3D shapes.

But yeah, I still agree--seems enormous.  And I don't think NSMBU is too huge, for comparison-sake...  Hmm!

Looking on Google - Rayman Legends is around 6.8 gigs.  NSMBU is 1.69gb.  DKCR is 2.1 GB (honestly no idea how the 3D effect weighs into that on the 3DS though)

I knew this would weigh in heavier than NSMBU, but I was expecting around 5gb or so max.  Now I'm curious how much DKCR weighs in on Wii but I can't seem to find that  :-|

#1103 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

Wow.  So it's twice as big as Rayman Legends and about a billion times larger than NSMBU.  I would expect it to be about the size of NSMBU really....  Maybe it's a typo after all.

#1104 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

WTF?  It seems like every other week Trine is on sale.

#1105 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

New Super Mario Bros. U doesn't really do anything that's graphically intensive enough to be that big of a game. Tropical Freeze seems like it's the best looking game on the Wii U with everything they've talked about on that front, so I'm not that surprised. It looks like it'll compare to Giana Sisters, which is a crazy huge indie platformer at 3.5 GB and TF will have much more to it than that game.

#1106 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

Good point.  Well, it'll be interesting to see what all the graphical fuss is about.

#1107 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

I've read that LEGO City Undercover is 19GB, so Tropical Freeze isn't the biggest game on the eShop.

#1108 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

If you've played the original and seen videos of tropical freeze you will notice there is a ton of details that have been added in the environments. On the surface people say the game is just an hd dckr, but they fail to see the shit ton of content packed into each of these new levels. Just watching some of the previews you can tell that a lot more work had done to massively improve off the original level designs. Not suprised the game is so large in file size, although I'll probably stick to the disc version now.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#1109 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

I can't fathom what's even done with all that data.  I don't understand how textures and audio could take up so much space.  I'm baffled right back to MS-DOS and my 7 mb copy of Monkey Island 2 on 5.25" floppy disks.

#1110 snakeybro

snakeybro

Bronze Trophy Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

I've read that LEGO City Undercover is 19GB, so Tropical Freeze isn't the biggest game on the eShop.

You actually need 22 gb free just to dl that game. I have it lol. It is a huge game though and the best lego game by miles

solidSNAKE231989.png