[DEAD] Vengeance Trilogy [Blu Ray] for $22.50

Great movies, loved oldboy the most but photography is really good in lady vengeance as well. All in all the three are pretty good deal at that price. I paid $15 for oldboy alone a while back

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Vengeance-Trilogy-Blu-ray/10438/

I own this as well (it was this price around this time last year I believe) and there is a tiny discrepancy with the Oldboy Blu-Ray in this collection versus the standalone Blu. Namely:

Brace yourselves. Despite the fact that the previously released standalone version of Oldboy includes a fantastic DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround track, no such option appears on the newly-minted discs that come bundled in the Vengeance Trilogy box sets. Sadly, there isn't a lossless mix at all. Instead, we're privy to four fairly feeble lossy choices: a decent Korean Dolby Digital 5.1 EX track (640kbps), a dubbed English Dolby Digital 5.1 dud, a flat Korean Dolby Digital stereo bore, and a mediocre English Dolby Digital stereo offering. And as anyone who's heard Oldboy's DTS-HD MA monster mix will tell you, that's a real shame. Dialogue is clear and serviceable, but lacks visceral presence. LFE output is heavy but cumbersome, failing to pack the rib-cracking punch of its lossless big brother. The rear speakers chime in, aggressively even at times, but fail to envelop the listener in the living, breathing psychological hellscape Park has manufactured. Oh Dae Su's lossy prison dampens any effect captured within its walls, exteriors sound positively artificial, and the meaty thumps and nauseating schunks that frequent Oldboy's more violent endeavors are pudgier and less effective. Is it a passable sonic presentation? Sure. Does it hold its own next to Tartan's original 7.1 lossless track? Not at all.

It isn't a huge deal to most, but some may be a bit hesitant. They mention a replacement program, but all I know of is the replacement for the Lady Vengeance mix-up.

[quote name='Vulgarism']http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Vengeance-Trilogy-Blu-ray/10438/

I own this as well (it was this price around this time last year I believe) and there is a tiny discrepancy with the Oldboy Blu-Ray in this collection versus the standalone Blu. Namely:

It isn't a huge deal to most, but some may be a bit hesitant. They mention a replacement program, but all I know of is the replacement for the Lady Vengeance mix-up.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, the Oldboy blu in this set has a 3 hour documentary that the standalone disc lacks, so if anything, it's probably worth buying both discs.

Showing back in stock(8 available).

This has actually been in and out of stock for a month or so. So if it shows OOS, just keep check as it will more than likely become available again. I was able to pick it up last month for $20.49.

Just a heads up guys,

It looks like the box set comes in a flimsy cardboard box rather than the tin-case. I was a little sad upon opening the package. But I can't really complain for the price.

[quote name='kyrhon']Just a heads up guys,

It looks like the box set comes in a flimsy cardboard box rather than the tin-case. I was a little sad upon opening the package. But I can't really complain for the price.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm this with my set. It also doesn't come with the booklet mentioned in some of the Amazon reviews and pictures, which I feel is a bigger loss.

[quote name='kyrhon']Just a heads up guys,

It looks like the box set comes in a flimsy cardboard box rather than the tin-case. I was a little sad upon opening the package. But I can't really complain for the price.[/QUOTE]

The tin was a BB exclusive.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I can confirm this with my set. It also doesn't come with the booklet mentioned in some of the Amazon reviews and pictures, which I feel is a bigger loss.[/QUOTE]

That is odd. I'm wondering if the ones they are getting in are a repress or something, or maybe you got a dud?

Good deal. It's in stock now, too bad I missed this or I would have ordered it with my Ni No Kuni guide, now I need something for a few bucks for free shipping.

[quote name='Vulgarism']The tin was a BB exclusive.

That is odd. I'm wondering if the ones they are getting in are a repress or something, or maybe you got a dud?[/QUOTE]

Amazon shipped the tin version at one point too, that's how I got mine.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Amazon shipped the tin version at one point too, that's how I got mine.[/QUOTE]

Damn them, then. I demand my year old copy be taken back with haste and I be compensated with the tin. I don't care if they have to scour every Asian Horror Film Blogspot owner's house for a copy, they owe it to me.

But seriously, I consider you lucky. I heard it dented easily, but regardless, it's a tin case, and it would go well with the Oldboy tin I have.

[quote name='Vulgarism']Damn them, then. I demand my year old copy be taken back with haste and I be compensated with the tin. I don't care if they have to scour every Asian Horror Film Blogspot owner's house for a copy, they owe it to me.

But seriously, I consider you lucky. I heard it dented easily, but regardless, it's a tin case, and it would go well with the Oldboy tin I have.[/QUOTE]

Mine had some minor dings, but I do prefer it to the cardboard one, and I do have mine right next to my Oldboy tin :)

So is the cardboard version supposed to come with the booklet?

I know that the box cover was altered so that it no longer states that oldboy comes with the 7.1 dts audio. However, I'd like to know if not receiving the booklet is an error (like some people receiving two of the same movie) or if none of the cardboard boxsets are shipping with booklets.

[quote name='applecider']I haven't opened my cardboard one that arrived yesterday, but it really doesn't appear there is room for a booklet inside. Shame.[/QUOTE]

question does the new version come with the "slim" blu ray cases for each movie?

The booklet is relatively small, maybe thirty or so pages. You should be able to see the spine or the edges of the pages sticking out slightly.

[quote name='applecider']I went ahead and opened it. There is no booklet, and they are indeed full-sized cases.[/QUOTE]
My outer box was plastic-wrapped but the blu-ray cases in the box were not. Did anyone's blu-ray cases com plastic-wrapped?
Just want to make sure mine weren't opened before.

I believe that's how they come. I find that to be the case with most box sets in fact. I don't think I've gotten one that had sealed Blu-rays inside.

[quote name='henry00x']i ordered this set from amazon canada, comes with the 7.1 track for Oldboy that the US versions does not[/QUOTE]

But it's likely missing the 3 hour documentary, so that's something to consider.

It's not that one. From what I've read, the Canadian trilogy (distributed by Alliance) has the fixed audio and the doc included.

[quote name='marktron']I signed up because I've been lurking this topic for months to see if Tartan Palasades would replace the Oldboy discs, or moreover, fix the problem.

Today I received the Canadian Vengeance Trilogy and I can CONFIRM that Oldboy has the 7.1 Koren Lossless audio included. Here are some pictures of the boxset:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2ecfdyv.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/iw826x.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/t8rfpe.jpg

You can get it here: http://ca.blu-ray.com/movies/Vengeance-Trilogy-Blu-ray/14450/

It doesn't list of specs, so here they are:

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance
Video:
1080p High Def. 2:35:1

Audio:
Korean 5.1 DTS-HS Master Audio

Subs:
English, French

Special Features:
Audio Commentary w/ Director Park Chan-wook and Actor/Filmmaker Ryoo Seong-wan
The Process of Mr. Vengeance
My Boksu Story
Crew Interviews
Johnathan Ross on Park Chan-wook
Soundtrack & Photos
Storyboards
Trailer

Oldboy
Video:
1080p High Def. 2:35:1

Audio:
Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
DTS-HD Master Audio Digital Surround 7.1 (CONFIRMED ON DISC)
Dolby-EX 5.1 Surround
English: Dolby Digital 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1

Subs:
English, French

Special Features:
Audio Commentary w/ Director Park Chan-wook
Audio Commentary w/ Cinematographer
Audio Commentary w/ Director and Cast
10 Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary
Original Trailer
5 Behind the Scenes Featurettes
Cast & Crew Interviews
Featurette: Le Grand Prix At Cannes
The Autobiography of Oldboy: 3 Hour Video Diary

Lady Vengeance (2 Disc)
Video:
1080p High Def 2:35:1

Audio:
Korean 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

Subs:
English, French

Special Features:
DISC 1
Theatrical Version
Commentary with Director and Actress
Commentary with Director, Director of Photography, and Art Director
Commentary with Film Critic Richard Pena

Fade to White Version
Introduction by Director
Commentary with Director and Actress
Commentary with Director, Director of Photography, and Art Director
Commentary with Film Critic Richard Pena

Interview with Director

DISC 2
Making of Lady Vengeance
The Style of Lady Vengeance, Production Design, Costume & Make Up and CG
Deleted Scene with Commentary
Interview with Director
Park Chan-wook "Mr. Vengeance"
Photography Featurette
Director's Choice, A Short Film by Park Chan-wook
Character Interviews
Lady Vengeance in Venice
Get Together
Trailers, TV Spots, and Poster Gallery

http://ca.blu-ray.com/movies/Vengeance-Trilogy-Blu-ray/14450/[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TwelveMind']Bought this and ran the disc. The 7.1 audio is definitely there along with all the commentaries and speical features on a single disc. The case is slim digi-pak which makes the set feel cheap.[/QUOTE]

its all there, i can post pics if you guys like, i imported it with the Statham Collection which was on sale last week for 22.99 canadian

bread's done
Back