Photo
* * * * * 35 votes

XBL Deals|7/4 Only- Witcher2, OrangeBox, More | 7/5 Only-Hitman:Absolution $10, More | ME3: Omega | BL2 DLC (Gold) | FREE Defense Grid (Gold) | MORE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11088 replies to this topic

#4381 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

So the lesson of the day kids is: Dust is awesome. Let's move on now.

Here's an off-topic question: I am moving my 360 to a different room where I have more space. Which is better for the system; to be standing up or laying down on it's side? Not sure which position offers better ventilation. With the HD on top I've had mine upright for the past few years now.
I have the older white (not launch) Jasper console if that makes any difference.

Click on GamerCard below for my game list.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

http://mygamerprofil...mrzombiechicken

#4382 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

I wouldn't trust a system with a disc tray standing up.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#4383 freshzen

freshzen

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

You're running the risk of getting a ring scratch by running a 360 "upright." If the console moves at all, even half an inch, the disc in the console will most likely get a full 360 degree scratch, rendering it unplayable. In my experience, only about 25% of those can be repaired through resurfacing.

I wouldn't trust a system with a disc tray standing up.

PS3 would be fine standing up, Wii is meant to be standing up (although optional).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4384 E.Nich

E.Nich

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

I have mine lying down on it's side. I shiver at the thought of inserting a disc to an "upright" console, it's unnatural to do that (imo).

#4385 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

Here's an off-topic question: I am moving my 360 to a different room where I have more space. Which is better for the system; to be standing up or laying down on it's side? Not sure which position offers better ventilation.

I've always assumed that standing the system up was better for keeping the temperature in check since it exposes the most surface area. My PS3 & 360 have run standing up for years without any heat problems. Just don't move the 360 very much while it's got a disc in it. I wouldn't think that laying the systems flat would be a whole lot worse though.

#4386 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:35 PM

PS3 would be fine standing up, Wii is meant to be standing up (although optional).

Neither of those have disc trays, which is my point. I'm hoping that both next-gen systems features disc slots like the Wii and PS3 so that disc trays are a thing of the past.

#4387 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

I've always assumed that standing the system up was better for keeping the temperature in check since it exposes the most surface area. My PS3 & 360 have run standing up for years without any heat problems. Just don't move the 360 very much while it's got a disc in it. I wouldn't think that laying the systems flat would be a whole lot worse though.

Conversely it gives the least amount of area for weight distribution. Not a big deal for PS3 but 360 with it's potential of ringing any game if console has a dust mite pass gas by it, probably not the better choice to stand it up

#4388 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

Conversely it gives the least amount of area for weight distribution. Not a big deal for PS3 but 360 with it's potential of ringing any game if console has a dust mite pass gas by it, probably not the better choice to stand it up

Bam! The best of both worlds for the low, low cost of only $50. ;)

#4389 yokuo

yokuo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:11 AM

All I know is I had my 360 slim sitting down, and eventually the disc reader stopped working. About 3 weeks later, I tried it laying down, and it still didn't work, so I moved it to a shelf closer to the ground and put it upright with a fan blowing at it, and I haven't had a problem since.

So, my recommendation is have the console lower to the ground, sitting upright. If you can have a fan point at it, do so. The air is cooler lower to the ground, since heat rises, and the fan helps it stay cool.

EDIT: I also have a desk pole on one side of it and my Wii on the other side, so there's little to no chance it'll move on its own and scratch a disc.
You should pretend there's something witty here.

#4390 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

All I know is I had my 360 slim sitting down, and eventually the disc reader stopped working. About 3 weeks later, I tried it laying down, and it still didn't work, so I moved it to a shelf closer to the ground and put it upright with a fan blowing at it, and I haven't had a problem since.

I am not disputing your results, but you have to have a pretty massive bookshelf for it to make a difference on which shelf you have the console. The difference in elevation between the two shelves has to be astounding. How many miles above sea level was each? ;)
Just kidding man. I appreciate the advice.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

#4391 Jackie Chandler

Jackie Chandler

Jamanandayo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

I know this is kind of unrelated, but I'm trying to decide on some games to qualify for the punch card promotion this week, and I'm mulling over Tetris Splash. I'm mainly interested in it for the Local Multiplayer, but I can't find any sources that mention if you can do 4 Player Versus. Can anyone vouch for if it does or doesn't? I'd really appreciate it.

#4392 tmly

tmly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

My ps3 slim wouldn't play God of War Ascension and I read on a forum that people had to stand the system vertically. I was skeptical but had nothing to lose and it worked like a charm.

#4393 BettercallPitPat

BettercallPitPat

I ride with El Rey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

I know this is kind of unrelated, but I'm trying to decide on some games to qualify for the punch card promotion this week, and I'm mulling over Tetris Splash. I'm mainly interested in it for the Local Multiplayer, but I can't find any sources that mention if you can do 4 Player Versus. Can anyone vouch for if it does or doesn't? I'd really appreciate it.

xbox.com sez "Local Multiplayer 2-4,"

#4394 Jackie Chandler

Jackie Chandler

Jamanandayo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

xbox.com sez "Local Multiplayer 2-4,"

Sorry, maybe I could have been a bit clearer. I'm curious if it has Local 4 Player Versus - i.e., not co-op. I mean, I'm not sure how Tetris co-op would work, but I've heard the game has it, which is why I'm wondering.

#4395 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:15 AM

Bam! The best of both worlds for the low, low cost of only $50. ;)

Maybe this fan is different, but fans have a notoriously bad reputation for being very bad for consoles and typically shorter their lifespan than extend it.

#4396 yokuo

yokuo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

I am not disputing your results, but you have to have a pretty massive bookshelf for it to make a difference on which shelf you have the console. The difference in elevation between the two shelves has to be astounding. How many miles above sea level was each? ;)
Just kidding man. I appreciate the advice.

50 nautical miles, actually. You don't even know lol.

A few feet can make a difference sometimes, I guess. :p
You should pretend there's something witty here.

#4397 Cleaner7

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

My ps3 slim wouldn't play God of War Ascension and I read on a forum that people had to stand the system vertically. I was skeptical but had nothing to lose and it worked like a charm.

That doesn't surprise me. I remember doing that with my PSOne console and it worked like a charm. That's probably why I tend to leave my consoles horizontal until they give me issues then I give them the vertical treatment lol. My consoles are usually in isolated areas so I don't have to worry about my niece/nephew or pets bumping the console and scratching my discs when I do go vertical. (It's like going turbo for console owners ;))

Does anyone have impressions on Terraria? I've heard good stuff about the PC version and own it on Steam but haven't played it. I know they've improved it for XBLA and I'm going to play the trial tonight but wanted your opinion(s).

#4398 Masters_93

Masters_93

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

Any thoughts on A Kingdom Of Keflings? Worth the 400 points?

#4399 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:39 AM

There have been mostly positive thoughts posted on that game. It's worth the money if you like what you see in the demo.

#4400 mer71

mer71

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:41 AM

It is worth it.

mer71.jpg

#4401 Cleaner7

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

Pass on that and get the sequel A World of Keflings instead. They fixed and expanded upon quite a bit from A Kingdom for Keflings and it has better DLC which also includes achievements if you care about that. Both games are fun time wasters and I found them to be relaxing and addicting. Play the trial since it will let you know exactly what you're in for: resource management and bossing keflings around.

Speaking of which, I'd love for the Curse of the Zombiesaurus DLC to finally go on sale. I've completed the others after the holiday sale. I was really hoping it would be included this week. :(

#4402 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:46 AM

Pass on that and get the sequel A World of Keflings instead. They fixed and expanded upon quite a bit from A Kingdom for Keflings and it has better DLC which also includes achievements if you care about that. Both games are fun time wasters and I found them to be relaxing and addicting. Play the trial since it will let you know exactly what you're in for: resource management and bossing keflings around.

Absolutely. World of Kefling is so much more refined and easier to play. It offers a better experience and is definitely superior.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

#4403 SangesTheLurker

SangesTheLurker

This is good, right? I mean, it doesn't suck...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

So fucking weird! Went to play with a buddy and we were both shocked that it wasn't available. Especially since you really can't cheat off your local opponent's words since time is also a factor.

This... can't be right. I'm positive I played Quarrel with my gf, from the couch no-less. Silly questions follow: were you both signed-in when you got to the main screen? Did you dig around in the exhibition/free-play mode? Simply try pressing start on the second controller at any point?

I'll fire it up when I have time again tomorrow, but like I said, I'm nearly 100% posiitve that we played it together.

25u01gl.gif
I think I may have a problem...

#4404 Cleaner7

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:51 AM

Absolutely. World of Kefling is so much more refined and easier to play. It offers a better experience and is definitely superior.

And I noticed AKFK is 800 MSP while the superior AWOK is 400 MSP. Get a better game for 1/2 the price! What's not to love?

#4405 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

A World of Keflings had a weird bug for me where I had to destroy buildings to get enough materials to keep progressing, so I'd say the original was a bit better made though both are great games.

#4406 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:55 AM

Speaking of which, I'd love for the Curse of the Zombiesaurus DLC to finally go on sale. I've completed the others after the holiday sale. I was really hoping it would be included this week. :(

Ugh! The two new DLCs are abominations. They're no where near the quality of the main game. Then again, if you liked Sugar & Spice you may like Zombiesaurus since it's slightly less annoying. :)

MrzombieChicken.jpg

#4407 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

A World of Keflings had a weird bug for me where I had to destroy buildings to get enough materials to keep progressing, so I'd say the original was a bit better made though both are great games.

It's not a bug. You have to have a plan and can't just build willy nilly. As long as you build a building that genrates accessories (snowman shop, flower shop...etc) you should be all set and you don't have to destroy any buildings to salvage pieces. Even if you don't, there is no way to REALLY get stuck.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

#4408 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:16 AM

So somehow I relaized I didn't already own ilomilo. This game is worth it for 400 microsoft points right? It looks like it could be fun. Thoughts?

#4409 Masters_93

Masters_93

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

And I noticed AKFK is 800 MSP while the superior AWOK is 400 MSP. Get a better game for 1/2 the price! What's not to love?

Oops :P

I meant AWOK (the one that's on sale) but didn't notice I typed Kingdom :lol:
So worth the 400?

#4410 Masters_93

Masters_93

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

So somehow I relaized I didn't already own ilomilo. This game is worth it for 400 microsoft points right? It looks like it could be fun. Thoughts?

Yes! It's a very fun, charming and overall cute game. It starts off easy but the difficulty scales nicely as you move up. I don't remember if it has co-op, but even by yourself, it's a wonderful game to play.