Photo
* * * * * 35 votes

XBL Deals|7/4 Only- Witcher2, OrangeBox, More | 7/5 Only-Hitman:Absolution $10, More | ME3: Omega | BL2 DLC (Gold) | FREE Defense Grid (Gold) | MORE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11088 replies to this topic

#1291 akathatoneguy

akathatoneguy

Use your turn signal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

But they're not gamers.

Your definition was almost accurate. Gamers are those that play games. There's no "genuinely" about it.

Spoiler

so for me a real gamer is someone that enjoys video games of the entire spectrum. i dont mean play every type of game but has a legitament joy for them and doesn't just limit themselves to say only rock band or angry birds or something. the people that actually keep the industry alive as consumers. i realize this may not make sense entirely but it does to me. i would agree that guy chasing 1 million gamer points is NOT a real gamer and neither are the people that boost constantly and thats all they do as they have no enjoyment nor is it really possible to find enjoyment by boosting 98% of the time...yes some will say someone might enjoy it but thats really not possible. some things just are not enjoyable and represent have a deadness of soul really or emptiness inside.

I'm pretty sure that the dude who has racked up nearly a million gamerscore has bought a LOT of games. So he's obviously helping keep the industry alive.
Spoiler

ON TOPIC: I wish I could join in on the Spelunky love, but I've strangely never been that into platformers. Occasionally I can get into one, but as my backlog has grown I've been less and less likely to give them a try.

That said, I'm still crossing my fingers that somebody just messed up and Dragonborn will be on sale. Though, I've already decided I'm not paying full price for any Skyrim DLC, so I'll wait it out if need be.

Edited by akathatoneguy, 14 February 2013 - 04:37 AM.

Check out my MMA editorials at Fightmania, or my gaming blog.

#1292 BUTTON_sMASHER

BUTTON_sMASHER

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

Why are you guys arguing over achievements? Sorry, I'm new here :) Anyway, was just wondering when this thread would be updated. I was hoping it would have info on the next set of sales.

My 2 cents regarding achievements: Boosting is fine! Who cares? It hurts no one. I can see where the guy who is against is coming from, though. I really enjoyed Warhammer 40k: Space Marine, and I wanted to show that by getting all of its achievements, but there was one ridiculous weapon mastery achievements that entailed getting dozens of multikills with some the games crappiest weapons -- and I just was not willing to invest the time in that. However, I wouldn't fault anyone who decided to boost for that or anything like it. They're only 'wasting' their own time. If they're happy to do that, I don't see why I or anyone else should give a s***.

I didn't read too far back, so I'm not too sure about the 'cheating' some of you are referring to, though. Save file manipulation/hacking or whatever is a no-no imo.

I'm playing Warhammer a lot right now. 16 melta gun multi kills is not happening in normal gameplay.

#1293 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:57 AM

Your definition was almost accurate. Gamers are those that play games. There's no "genuinely" about it.

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure that the dude who has racked up nearly a million gamerscore has bought a LOT of games. So he's obviously helping keep the industry alive.
Spoiler

ON TOPIC: I wish I could join in on the Spelunky love, but I've strangely never been that into platformers. Occasionally I can get into one, but as my backlog has grown I've been less and less likely to give them a try.

That said, I'm still crossing my fingers that somebody just messed up and Dragonborn will be on sale. Though, I've already decided I'm not paying full price for any Skyrim DLC, so I'll wait it out if need be.

to achieve 1 million points is just so ridiculous on all levels. im not even sure he is still human at this point. he contributes crap to society and games all day everyday. hes the purest manchild on the planet and by extension a worthless human being who has never grown up in any area of his life. he has a true deadness of soul. as for whether this guy keeps the industry alive....its possible he buys everything brand new but its far more likely he rents games left and right. also its hard to say he truly enjoys gaming anymore at this point i mean how could he???? he doesnt play for fun he achievement hunts what fun is that 24/7??

also i said enjoys the full spectrum not neccessarly play. is he having fun???? does he appreciate the industry as well or is he enjoying is moment of fame chasing 1 million points while hating himself because he hates gaming?

my casual gamer remarks are however dead on and neccessary because those people arent really gamers and developers cater to them which is how we get so many casually aimed gimmicks in games. its how we get so many games that want to be COD for instance because casuals flock to a couple choice titles and thats it. hell just look at the wii so much freakin shovelware all in the name of grabbing the casual gamer but again casual gamers are not gamers. they buy one or two things and call it a decade yet developers bend over backwards to support them because that one item they do buy outsells everything. so damn tired of games getting neutered all to appease the casual gamer in hopes they even look at the game yet if youve met any portion of these casual gamers you will know dont even bother because in the countless ones ive met at college they can barely operate their consoles and usually at best in the groups of them as they play party games a lot there is usually one that knows how to get it all up and running. there is no love for gaming here.

and before i get blasted as that is just me....bear in mind statistical studies have been done and plastered on national ,levels with far less than what i am talking about.

#1294 akathatoneguy

akathatoneguy

Use your turn signal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:13 AM

to achieve 1 million points is just so ridiculous on all levels. im not even sure he is still human at this point. he contributes crap to society and games all day everyday. hes the purest manchild on the planet and by extension a worthless human being who has never grown up in any area of his life. he has a true deadness of soul. as for whether this guy keeps the industry alive....its possible he buys everything brand new but its far more likely he rents games left and right. also its hard to say he truly enjoys gaming anymore at this point i mean how could he???? he doesnt play for fun he achievement hunts what fun is that 24/7??

also i said enjoys the full spectrum not neccessarly play. is he having fun???? does he appreciate the industry as well or is he enjoying is moment of fame chasing 1 million points while hating himself because he hates gaming?

my casual gamer remarks are however dead on and neccessary because those people arent really gamers and developers cater to them which is how we get so many casually aimed gimmicks in games. its how we get so many games that want to be COD for instance because casuals flock to a couple choice titles and thats it. hell just look at the wii so much freakin shovelware all in the name of grabbing the casual gamer but again casual gamers are not gamers. they buy one or two things and call it a decade yet developers bend over backwards to support them because that one item they do buy outsells everything. so damn tired of games getting neutered all to appease the casual gamer in hopes they even look at the game yet if youve met any portion of these casual gamers you will know dont even bother because in the countless ones ive met at college they can barely operate their consoles and usually at best in the groups of them as they play party games a lot there is usually one that knows how to get it all up and running. there is no love for gaming here.

and before i get blasted as that is just me....bear in mind statistical studies have been done and plastered on national ,levels with far less than what i am talking about.

I'd be pleased to read those studies. Please link them.

Ah, so it's not exclusionary and condescending to label people as "casuals" and pretend to be better than them...it's "necessary". Well then, keep fighting the good fight. Do remember though, that you place importance on supporting the industry, and I'm pretty sure those casuals are helping the industry by buying consoles, even if they are spending most of their time on CoD, Madden, or whatever else you don't consider to be a "real" game.

And regarding achievement whoring, YOU'RE the one deciding whether people are having fun?

That really shows the futility of your position better than anything I have even said. Let's end on that note.
Check out my MMA editorials at Fightmania, or my gaming blog.

#1295 seppuku

seppuku

too many games, not enough time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

If you like twin stick zombie shooters, I can recommend a couple XBLIG that are pretty good and worth checking out:

http://marketplace.x...5-d802585502a6'>I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES

http://marketplace.x...5-d80258550a26'>Attack of the Zombie Horde
XBLA wish list: Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds, Double Dragon Neon...
Xbox 360 wish list: Diablo III

#1296 xbox_man

xbox_man

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Just had a look at yugioh and the old game has automatically changed to the newer game, just downloading a 200 mb update.

#1297 Antarael Dulacre

Antarael Dulacre

Royal Dhampire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Just had a look at yugioh and the old game has automatically changed to the newer game, just downloading a 200 mb update.

Yep same for me =D thought it would look more different but it's fun to get new cards and earn new recipes =)

Still playing this game but finished it achievement wise long ago....but for fun games like this I will come back any time =D

(I used to play in real tournaments back then, got in the top 10 two times (3rd and 8th place) hundreds of other players were there...fun times...)

#1298 irafreak

irafreak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

It does get tiring see people type game X is a "must buy"...I hate platformers (although I can still pick up mario 3 and super mario world and have a good time) and spelunky is frustrating. I don't have time to game much these days so I'd rather play a stress reliever. So I don't care if spelunky is 80 points...the two times I have tried to really sit down and enjoy it I ended up exiting to the dashboard out of frustration with iffy controls.

#1299 sicsonic

sicsonic

100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

It does get tiring see people type game X is a "must buy"...I hate platformers (although I can still pick up mario 3 and super mario world and have a good time) and spelunky is frustrating. I don't have time to game much these days so I'd rather play a stress reliever. So I don't care if spelunky is 80 points...the two times I have tried to really sit down and enjoy it I ended up exiting to the dashboard out of frustration with iffy controls.

that's understandable

i think when people say must-buy like that, myself included, i think of it as a must-buy for those who are into that game, or that genre, in this case platformers/roguelikes

#1300 JoeZiggadigga

JoeZiggadigga

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

If I buy a game from the sales and specials app, will it show up in my history to download later if I ever delete it? I seem to recall this was an issue in the past...or maybe I'm just crazy.

#1301 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'd be pleased to read those studies. Please link them.

Ah, so it's not exclusionary and condescending to label people as "casuals" and pretend to be better than them...it's "necessary". Well then, keep fighting the good fight. Do remember though, that you place importance on supporting the industry, and I'm pretty sure those casuals are helping the industry by buying consoles, even if they are spending most of their time on CoD, Madden, or whatever else you don't consider to be a "real" game.

And regarding achievement whoring, YOU'RE the one deciding whether people are having fun?

That really shows the futility of your position better than anything I have even said. Let's end on that note.

Don't you hate it when you spend some time intelligently explaining to someone that his opinion isn't fact, and then his response is "Yeah, but my opinion is fact."

Ebbtide and Kayne2000 both are quite wrong on this. It's already been explained, and yet they each came back and made the same poor argument all over again.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1302 Sath666

Sath666

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

If I buy a game from the sales and specials app, will it show up in my history to download later if I ever delete it? I seem to recall this was an issue in the past...or maybe I'm just crazy.

Yes, i bought around 10 games from this app and everything is on my download history.

#1303 JoeZiggadigga

JoeZiggadigga

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yes, i bought around 10 games from this app and everything is on my download history.

Excellent. Thanks for the fast reply. Time to die over and over in Spelunky.

#1304 shivan128

shivan128

CAG at heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

that's understandable

i think when people say must-buy like that, myself included, i think of it as a must-buy for those who are into that game, or that genre, in this case platformers/roguelikes

Spelunky is definitely a must buy for those who are fans of rogue-like clones. I was playing it for several hours last night and it's definitely got me sucked in as much as I hate platformers.

edaa9c273976.png

My tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=301364

Currently Playing:  :vita: Sorcery Saga, :3ds: N/A, :360: DDP SDOJ, :ps3: Rocksmith 2014, :ps4: Dynasty Warriors 8

#1305 Daemonocracy

Daemonocracy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Nice! Yars Revenge is back, and for half off, and all three Alien Breed games are finally half off. Too bad Colonial Marines looks to be such a disappointment, though I'd be lying if I didn't say I saw that coming, so I can get my Alien fix from Alien Breed.

#1306 chipper_95

chipper_95

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the fast reply. Time to die over and over in Spelunky.

I think the issue everyone is still having with the Sales & Specials app is if you happen to browse to the specific full game you bought (Spelunky) anywhere else on the dashboard other than the Sales & Specials app it will say you haven't purchased it. I think its able to show in your download history but the full game download you purchased through the Sales & Specials app is a different hidden item than the full game you see everywhere else on the dashboard/marketplace and xbox.com. Correct me if I'm wrong on this though guys. That's just what I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe on here).

#1307 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Anyone know the final word on Virtual On's release? I'm probably going to bite on my Japanese account since the last thing I read said it wasn't releasing outside of Japan sadly. Just thought I'd see if anything changed since the last update.

#1308 Crono-00

Crono-00

CAG, to Broke-AG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

Anyone know the final word on Virtual On's release? I'm probably going to bite on my Japanese account since the last thing I read said it wasn't releasing outside of Japan sadly. Just thought I'd see if anything changed since the last update.

For fast response sake, the only new release on the US dashboard for XBLA was the Yugioh game. On the Japanese dashboard they have Virtual On along with Virtua Striker. This is also the same case with PSN, where Virtual On is only on the Japanese store, but not on the US store. I downloaded the demo, but lack the Bing points to get it off my Japanese account at this time. If I try to purchase on my usual US account it brings up an error, however, it appears that I can purchase just fine (but I don't have enough Microsoft points) with my Japanese account. I have purchased DLC (and balance clearing gamerpictures) from the Japanese marketplace before (for my import games), that went without any hitches and plays just fine on their respective games on my US 360. It seems the articles I linked before are accurate to me, but it has only been just over a day since it was released, so who knows, maybe it could get a US dashboard marketplace release in the future, but not at this moment [EDIT: link has misleading information, it is 800MSP as it was supposed to be, not 400MSP as typed].

So if you do choose to purchase you gotta report back to me if it plays just fine on your non-Japanese account; I want the game too ^^. Since I only have one and only one Bing account (choice not circumstance), it will take me about 3 more weeks to get enough to buy that XBLA game for myself. I do recall someone (eastx?) mentioning they had purchased a Japanese XBLA game Akumajo Dracula X: Moonlight of the Nocturnal, because of the few extra familiars the Japanese version had that the US marketplace did not have [I always wondered if Psycho Mantis ever says something like "you like [I]Tokimeki Memorial[/I] and Mitsumete Knight, don't you?" in addition to his Castlevania comment, considering I had them on my memory card as well ^^].

The demo only allows for 1 minute of play. Since I am an old Virtual On player, I prefer control method B which are the twin-stick tank controls over the new standard style with a jump button. You can set the display to be its letterboxed correct aspect with pixel accurate (no "half pixel"), large which maintains the correct aspect ratio while utilizing as much vertical space as possible, or full which stretches the screen to fit a whole 16:9 TV. The game and music are as I remembered.

EDIT2: Sorry non-US 360 users, I can only decribe my situation with this game from my perspective at this time.

Edited by Crono-00, 15 February 2013 - 01:24 AM.
short post in my attempt to answer quickly

#1309 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

I saw that it was 800. That is a definite bummer. After reading that article I was all set to spend 400MSP. Not sure if I have enough Bing creds to buy it just yet. Will have to check in a little bit. If you were able to download the demo I would assume the full version should be equally playable. I'll report back when I know for sure, assuming someone like EastX (Anyone else notice that he didn't post links to his reviews in his last few posts? Kinda negates Jackal1's argument doesn't it?) doesn't report back first.

#1310 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

Even Crono-00's short post is 3 times as long as my longer posts.
Yeah, it's a slow day.

Click on GamerCard below for my game list.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

http://mygamerprofil...mrzombiechicken

#1311 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Zombie Wranglers demo sucked. Even for 200 MSP, it's an easy pass.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#1312 PrarieD0G

PrarieD0G

Hikikomori

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

After playing Spelunky for 6 hours, I kind of get the hype, but in the end it's still too frustrating to have much lasting appeal for me. After 164 deaths, the farthest I got was the second world. There are games that are difficult, but feel fair (e.g. Super Meat Boy), and then there are games that feel cheaply, unfairly difficult. Spelunky feels like one of the latter for me. While I have had a few laughs at the ridiculous manners in which I've gotten myself killed, I doubt I'll ever beat this game, even with shortcuts.

#1313 sicsonic

sicsonic

100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

There are games that are difficult, but feel fair (e.g. Super Meat Boy),

I'm sorry but the later stages in the Dark World in Super Meat Boy are anything but fair. Seriously. ;)

#1314 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I find Spelunky far more boring than engaging.

Plus, in the most straightforward sense there isn't a lot in the XBLA version that isn't in the free PC version. Fancy graphics and a tweak here and there but nothing huge enough to justify paying for it.

#1315 shivan128

shivan128

CAG at heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I find Spelunky far more boring than engaging.

Plus, in the most straightforward sense there isn't a lot in the XBLA version that isn't in the free PC version. Fancy graphics and a tweak here and there but nothing huge enough to justify paying for it.

Local multiplayer?

edaa9c273976.png

My tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=301364

Currently Playing:  :vita: Sorcery Saga, :3ds: N/A, :360: DDP SDOJ, :ps3: Rocksmith 2014, :ps4: Dynasty Warriors 8

#1316 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Doritos Crash Course 2 confirmed to be free to play like the original.

It's also listed on the marketplace, so perhaps it's a sign it'll be coming within a few months.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1317 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

After playing Spelunky for 6 hours, I kind of get the hype, but in the end it's still too frustrating to have much lasting appeal for me. After 164 deaths, the farthest I got was the second world. There are games that are difficult, but feel fair (e.g. Super Meat Boy), and then there are games that feel cheaply, unfairly difficult. Spelunky feels like one of the latter for me. While I have had a few laughs at the ridiculous manners in which I've gotten myself killed, I doubt I'll ever beat this game, even with shortcuts.

I think you had mentioned that you think that you have similar tastes in me when it comes to XBLA games. Well you might be right, because that's exactly how I felt about the game. I remember the one time I finally got my hands on the fucking shotgun (totally by random) and the very next level was one of those fucking dark levels. I died almost instantly.

It's also listed on the marketplace, so perhaps it's a sign it'll be coming within a few months.

That's pretty awesome news. Especially the "free" part.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#1318 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

I am a bit leery of the "you can buy tokens to advance" part. That makes me think that the difficultly spikes significantly to make people buy tokens. I really hate games that have micro transactions.

Click on GamerCard below for my game list.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

http://mygamerprofil...mrzombiechicken

#1319 Sanges99

Sanges99

This is good, right? I mean, it doesn't suck...?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

I think the issue everyone is still having with the Sales & Specials app is if you happen to browse to the specific full game you bought (Spelunky) anywhere else on the dashboard other than the Sales & Specials app it will say you haven't purchased it. I think its able to show in your download history but the full game download you purchased through the Sales & Specials app is a different hidden item than the full game you see everywhere else on the dashboard/marketplace and xbox.com. Correct me if I'm wrong on this though guys. That's just what I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe on here).

That, and the much scarier part is that the reverse is true (which I believe it still says in the OP). If you ALREADY BOUGHT one of the games (or other piece of content) that the S&S+ is offering OUTSIDE of the app, S&S+ doesn't acknowledge it and if you're not paying attention you can re-purchase content you already own.

I just confirmed with this week's offerings that this is still an issue: I own both Spelunky & Limbo (which are both being offered right now), yet if I go to download them through S&S+ it will actually let me pay msp--AGAIN!--to download them instead of telling me to "download again" for free.

This is the problem that gets mentioned time and again with these purchases being in a "bizzaro world" region that is used for the S&S+ downloads--they don't align with dashboard purchases (except for [most] Chain Reaction offers).

Really though, it just means you have to be vigilant as to what you already own, and really how much extra work is that to look-into? I'd much rather have this slightly-broken deal app over the alternative of being stuck with regular sales if it ever came down to pulling-it.

Posted Image

#1320 PrarieD0G

PrarieD0G

Hikikomori

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

I'm sorry but the later stages in the Dark World in Super Meat Boy are anything but fair. Seriously. ;)

Lol, okay you might have me on the dark worlds. I didn't complete them because, yeah, they were brutal. Spelunky-esque, if you will. Hahaha, just kidding. The main game I thought was pretty fair though, if only because it was very consistent. Maybe I just don't like the randomness of Spelunky. On one hand, it makes the game interesting/new, but on the other hand, it's much harder to progress in the game.