Photo
* * * * * 35 votes

XBL Deals|7/4 Only- Witcher2, OrangeBox, More | 7/5 Only-Hitman:Absolution $10, More | ME3: Omega | BL2 DLC (Gold) | FREE Defense Grid (Gold) | MORE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11088 replies to this topic

#2491 Junpei

Junpei

Think big. Start small. Move fast.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

I ended up buying all Sega fighters at 160 MP, and started Sonic the Fighters. 15 minutes later, I got all its achievements. Man, I felt dirty while watching those pop-ups roll... :roll:

But, besides that, gameplay is really a mash-fest and nothing much else: everything from identical combos for every character, dull special moves, horrendous timing for barrier-and-riposte attacks and uninspired backgrounds screams of something put together in a hurry. The only (small) redeeming quality was the presence of Bean the Dynamite, who reminded me of a forgotten Sega classic called Dynamite Dux, a scrolling beat'em up in which two anthropomorphic ducks should battle enemies with cartoony punches, kicks, bombs and weapons.
Posted Image
Now THAT'S something I want to see remade, or at least included in a retro collection of some sort! That aside, I felt like I paid 160 MSP too much for Sonic the Fighters... I'm really sorry for those who dished out 400 MSP or, worse, 30$ or 40$ back in the day...

And, speaking of ports, how about throwing a Fighters Megamix into the fray, Sega? :bouncy:
Posted Image

Check your PMs. I left that one out of the group that went under my pits.

#2492 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

I play Crysis all the time off the cheapest USB drives u can imagine (paid $3 in china for 2 qty 32 gb drives on a shady backstreet). Works like a charm. I also have some hefty duty name brand ones i inherited from my brother. I honestly can't tell the difference. Don't worry about speed just buy the cheapest ass sticks u can get. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is the sort of person who probably bought a Monster HDMI cable for $100 where a $2 Chinatown one would do the same job IMHO.

this is half true. it depends on the speed. and whether its USB 2.0 or 3.0 of which there is a noticeable difference in speed.

there is also a difference in some HDMI cords. ive seen cheap ones fail to work cable boxes or other devices but then work fine on game consoles. but those other devices need a slightly better HDMI cord. note i say better cord but i dont mean more expensive neccessarily. the wal mart branded HDMI cords are one of the ones im talking about that suck so you can find better for cheaper or for more money. so there are differences.

$100 dollar difference? no. difference? yes.

that said you are right you shouldnt over spend on flash drives as they will die soon enough. HDMI cords will last for ages in all likely hood.

#2493 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

There is a measurable difference between transfer speeds and loading times when using a higher-speed device. It's not just a psychological effect.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#2494 Antarael Dulacre

Antarael Dulacre

Royal Dhampire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

The First two Serious Sam Games seem to have a permanent Price Cut too...both are 800 msp now

#2495 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

I ended up buying all Sega fighters at 160 MP, and started Sonic the Fighters. 15 minutes later, I got all its achievements. Man, I felt dirty while watching those pop-ups roll... :roll:

But, besides that, gameplay is really a mash-fest and nothing much else: everything from identical combos for every character, dull special moves, horrendous timing for barrier-and-riposte attacks and uninspired backgrounds screams of something put together in a hurry. The only (small) redeeming quality was the presence of Bean the Dynamite, who reminded me of a forgotten Sega classic called Dynamite Dux, a scrolling beat'em up in which two anthropomorphic ducks should battle enemies with cartoony punches, kicks, bombs and weapons.
Posted Image
Now THAT'S something I want to see remade, or at least included in a retro collection of some sort! That aside, I felt like I paid 160 MSP too much for Sonic the Fighters... I'm really sorry for those who dished out 400 MSP or, worse, 30$ or 40$ back in the day...

And, speaking of ports, how about throwing a Fighters Megamix into the fray, Sega? :bouncy:

yes those were dirty achievements but it was mildly amusing. they did at least make you have to plug a second controller for the mirror match one and the Amy shrink move. those yes after this sale is over this game will join the ranks of Avatar as easy achievements second only to avatar if i had to guess. i this fighting game might as well get avatar one of these days lol

i think for its time the game is not all together bad. its got fairly decent structure in place. its just very well done but its not all together bad.

#2496 Junpei

Junpei

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

yes those were dirty achievements but it was mildly amusing. they did at least make you have to plug a second controller for the mirror match one and the Amy shrink move.

Actually, the achievement for that mirror match came naturally to me during my one and only playthrough, since Robotnik made me challenge a black & white version of my Sonic right before Metal Sonic's stage (and don't even get me started about the cheesiness of the latter... what about his grabs or his pseudo-psycho crusher which halve your life bar if they connect... :roll:). Then I went on to select Honey the Cat and my work was done.

Probably my bitterness come from the fact that I wanted to fancy the game much more, as I thought it was an exact copy of Virtua Fighter/Fighting Vipers with Sonic characters akin to Virtua Fighter Kids, and I greatly enjoyed this one back in the day. But alas I found Sonic the Fighters too much dull and clunky for my tastes...
Posted Image

#2497 VIDEOGAME IGODI

VIDEOGAME IGODI

Bluray FTW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

i dont see the achievement system going away anytime soon. Its a huge selling factor for microsoft products. XBox 360, Windows Phone, Windows 8.....all have achievements.

Oh, I'm sure it won't go away, but wouldn't you like to know if your 30,000+ gamerscore was transferable, or at least see-able on the new console? Many worry that when you buy the new Xbox, you'll gamerscore will start at 0. If the new system starts at 0, then what's the point of caring about your achievements this late in the game?
:)

Write HBO to release all Sopranos Seasons on Blu-ray!
http://www.hbo.com/a...contact-us.html

#2498 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Oh, I'm sure it won't go away, but wouldn't you like to know if your 30,000+ gamerscore was transferable, or at least see-able on the new console? Many worry that when you buy the new Xbox, you'll gamerscore will start at 0. If the new system starts at 0, then what's the point of caring about your achievements this late in the game?
:)

That's a completely unfounded worry. Microsoft already allows gamers to carry their Live profiles over to Windows Phone and Windows 8, so it's inconceivable that they'd suddenly abandon such a well-liked feature on the next Xbox. There would be absolutely no advantage to doing so.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#2499 cancermatt

cancermatt

CAG @ 360Voice.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

I am incredibly embarrassed to admit I had no clue Karateka was released on 360. Apparently, it was released in November. I am old schoole enough to admit I had this game for the cheap, cheesy IBM PC JR!!!!!

Not too interested in picking up the revamp, unless it was a direct import, but it's a remake. Watch the advertisement for cool reminiscing: http://www.karateka.com/

"Always punch the hawk." Classic.
Posted Image

Please CML: Thanks! :)

#2500 illennium

illennium

Systems Analyst

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

I am incredibly embarrassed to admit I had no clue Karateka was released on 360. Apparently, it was released in November. I am old schoole enough to admit I had this game for the cheap, cheesy IBM PC JR!!!!!

Not too interested in picking up the revamp, unless it was a direct import, but it's a remake. Watch the advertisement for cool reminiscing: http://www.karateka.com/

I had it on my Apple IIE. The graphics and animations were incredible.

#2501 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Yes! I would love to see that and the Battle Arena Toshinden games come out over Live! Also Bushido Blade, I used to love playing all of those back on the Saturn/PS1.

659629.png?68329996

#2502 eugaet

eugaet

1d20 to save vs CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

C64, here. I loved the original Karateka. The new one, not so much.

Tradelist: LINK :: Strategy Guide Tradelist: LINK :: XBLA Code Tradelist: LINK

#2503 CozmoKhan

CozmoKhan

Go Blackhawks!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Apple //c for me. I might go fire it up instead of buying the XBLA version.

#2504 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

My forays into gaming started with Blackthorne and Warcraft II, so some of the commenters above me are making me feel like a baby.

I'd beat a ho's ass for Blackthorne/Lost Vikings/Rock 'n Roll Racing on XBLA...

Looking to sell codes for The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, together or separately. Message me with your offer.

Stream KMFDM's new album KUNST in its entirety here!

#2505 Junpei

Junpei

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

The worst offense this Karateka remake has done to the original is a lack of fluid animations: the three heroes and their opponents all look and move like they have rather stiff joints, and I'd have preferred a less vibrant and colorful art style in exchange for Rocksteady's Batman-like stunts and stances. But I understand that production values are tremendously different between the two.

Despite this disregard for its roots, I've enjoyed the demo quite a bit and I'd like to master its rhythm-fighting system, so I took advantage of this sale to grab a copy :bouncy:
Posted Image

#2506 Bloomy

Bloomy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

I had Karateka on the Atari 7800. I liked the animations, but only remember ever being able to make it to the 3rd or 4th fight. Checking some reviews, it appears that the 7800 got a pretty poor port of the game, especially in the controls dept.

#2507 Cage017

Cage017

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

It's nice to have a break from last week's sales. I was downloading the trial for Karateka but I have 10 GB's of games from the last sale that it probably won't finish downloading until the weekend.

Is the Karateka animation better or worse than Amy? I'm so happy I didn't blind buy that.

gallery_474050_8161_3173.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#2508 Junpei

Junpei

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Is the Karateka animation better or worse than Amy? I'm so happy I didn't blind buy that.

They're not THAT bad... the animations in Karateka are not on par with the original in perspective, but at least they put some effort into it!
Posted Image

#2509 simmias

simmias

Likely to be eaten by a grue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

I had it on my Atari 800 (and later Apple IIe)... do I win? :)

And thanks everyone for the feedback on Karateka. I may still pull the trigger just to support the guy involved with the original, since that game gave me so many hours of enjoyment.

#2510 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

sorry, Bloomy, but the 7800 version is seriously whack. get the Atari 8-bit version or one of the others. they really messed up the 7800 version and it's almost universally regarded as a poor port.

again, try the demo. I think for $5, it's worth it.

I'm not sure what people are thinking about the animations not being smooth.

#2511 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

I play Crysis all the time off the cheapest USB drives u can imagine (paid $3 in china for 2 qty 32 gb drives on a shady backstreet). Works like a charm. I also have some hefty duty name brand ones i inherited from my brother. I honestly can't tell the difference. Don't worry about speed just buy the cheapest ass sticks u can get. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is the sort of person who probably bought a Monster HDMI cable for $100 where a $2 Chinatown one would do the same job IMHO.

this is really bad advice and is really ignorant. all it means is that you haven't used enough flash drives to know.

no one is advocating buying expensive flash drives. what we say is you have to know the product you're buying and not leave it to the gods and pray that it works well.

#2512 SangesTheLurker

SangesTheLurker

This is good, right? I mean, it doesn't suck...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Play Tomb Raider Anniversary twice?! Considering I haven't played it one time, I'll wait for the dlc to go on sale. I'll wait and get the disc of both Legend and Anniversary. Thanks

I... don't think this makes a lick of sense. I think you either missed the point of what was being said about the DLC, or maybe I'm missing your point. You're going to buy it twice now that you know there's two versions...?

What your original reply-er was trying to tell you is that you can either buy a disc version of TR:Anniversary (which is simply a re-skin of Legend, set to a re-imagining of the original Tomb Raider-of-the-nineties' maps) OR you can save the hassle and pickup the TR:Legend DLC packs--which are exactly the same as the TR:Anniversary retail game. Same maps, same gameplay: available in two different formats. I think the TR:Anniversary game may have some concept art or such frivolous in-game content, but--and more importantly--can be bought for probably the same amount, or cheaper, as the TR:Legend DLC in total.

Also-now don't quote me here--but with the infrequency of how often ANY older game's DLC ever gets reduced or put on sale, I think it's pretty safe to say that waiting on Legend's DLC price to drop would be nothing short of wasting your time; in all likelihood, it's not going to happen.

(Now watch, with the CAG curse always in effect, it'll go on sale next week... :lol:)

25u01gl.gif
I think I may have a problem...

#2513 Strider Turbulence

Strider Turbulence

Son of the Old Gods

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

The loser deals from the sales app never updated. booooooooooooo

birdie-intro.gifAlpha 2

#2514 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

...Do you guys use flash drives to store your arcade games? Is there a lag when using them? I'm thinking about getting a couple 32gb flash drives...

As I'm still rocking a 20 GB hard drive, I have learned to be very judicious with by storage space. It really isn't that hard though as I delete games and game saves when I am completely finished with them and know that I will never play them again. I currently use a pair of 16 GB flash drives with my 360. I use a Patriot Xporter XT model exclusively for XBLA games and have never had any trouble with it whatsoever. It's a USB 2.0 model, I bought it off of newegg a while back when it had a rebate but it shouldn't be too expensive even without one.

I also just grabbed a Sandisk Cruzer Glide model two days ago to put Civilization Revolution and El Shaddai on. It is also a USB 2.0 model and although it prompted the 360's warning that it might not be up to par I played a marathon Civ. Rev. session last night and had no troubles while playing, it worked perfectly. Saving the massive 5 GB download to it in the first place wasn't lightning fast but I didn't really expect it to be or care that it wasn't. I'm only interested in performance while playing, the download is a one time deal.

...I'd beat a ho's ass for Blackthorne/Lost Vikings/Rock 'n Roll Racing on XBLA...

Although my father introduced me to gaming via a Magnavox Odyssey and an Intellivision, I loved me some Blackthorne and Lost Vikings on the SNES. My brother and I poured hours into both of those games. Maybe it's my nostalgia glasses but I really think updated versions of those two would do well on XBLA/PSN.:joystick:
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2515 sweatysides

sweatysides

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Although my father introduced me to gaming via a Magnavox Odyssey and an Intellivision, I loved me some Blackthorne and Lost Vikings on the SNES. My brother and I poured hours into both of those games. Maybe it's my nostalgia glasses but I really think updated versions of those two would do well on XBLA/PSN.:joystick:

Sorry for being off topic, but a few of these deals are in my sons favor here... I'm currently a 30 yr old fasja, to a 2yr old son who's a growing boy with an interest in using my old game systems. (i know he's super young but he likes the "cause an effect" aspect of using a controller to make things happen on screen). How old were you when you started to play games with your Fasja? Or any other Fasja's for that matter?

#2516 skonson

skonson

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

this is really bad advice and is really ignorant. all it means is that you haven't used enough flash drives to know.

no one is advocating buying expensive flash drives. what we say is you have to know the product you're buying and not leave it to the gods and pray that it works well.

Okay. I had some time this morning so I gathered every USB drive I had that had 1 GB free on it. Ended up being 11 different ones - christ I didn't realize how many USB sticks I had. I then benchmarked how long each one took to transfer 735mb of data to and from. Pretty much each drive was different. Everything from Memorex to Sony to Sandisk to Lexar to random unnamed ones (most of them are ones I found discarded while I was working at a university, some I've bought from various places and for various reasons). And I decided to try and let science and observation settle this. Though in saying this I used my macbook only so perhaps that slants the findings as I know nothing of how the architecture of the xbox works with USB drives. But in transferring a file I could not find a single difference between any of the drives. They all transferred a 735mb AVI file to my macbook in and around 44 seconds and it took quite a bit longer to upload it to the sticks but each one took around 2 minutes and 20 seconds, though perhaps in retrospect that might have also been due to the fact that I was making it overwrite an existing file. Maybe I should have done a clean upload but still. There are my results. I stand by my original statement and feel far less ignorant in offering this advice now. According to everything I can see there seems to be absolutely zero difference between any of these drives in terms of speed in terms of file transfers. Perhaps there are drives out there that are better or worse than others but it seems typically that this is not the case, that they seemingly are built in similar ways and provide similar results. Though as I said I don't know how the Xbox architecture works and I didn't run any programs off the sticks to test speeds so perhaps my test is moot. I don't know. But my feelings is that they are all pretty much the same.

And yeah the new Karateka game sucks from what I hear. I loved the original, was one of my favorite games on the old Apple IIC, I was so pumped when I heard that they were doing a remake, but sigh. Wish they'd just release the original with the original graphics, they still look great today and the game plays amazingly. SPOILER ALERT (though it's 20 years old so you should know it by now) But I played through it recently totally forgetting that the princess will kill you if you are in a fighting pose when you greet her. Such a great little surprise twist in a game that made me absolutely smile and of course curse that I now had to start the game again to get the right ending.

#2517 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

These guys did some testing on the different USB drives to check speed time. There is definitely a difference between the different flash drives in regards to data install times, but I don't think they found major differences in load times or any problems with the actual gameplay.

I can personally echo those exact same sentiments. I bought a cheap ($12.99) 32GB flash drive a while back from Office Depot and plugged it in and got the "low performance" warning. I transferred a lot of my GoD to it, the transfer times were absolutely awful, but everything seems to perform normally when playing off of the flash drive.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#2518 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

That's because on a lot of crappy flash drives write speed isn't very good, but you still may have fast read times.

Check Out My Podcast

Rival Bits

Video Games, Movies, and TV

https://itunes.apple...d884775591?mt=2

181104.pngblade3d.png

#2519 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

Sonic the Fighters has as much depth and fun as Enter the Matrix's hidden versus mode...

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Does Sonic the Fighters have two very poorly animated "cars" fighting each other?

I didn't think so.

#2520 t4nd4r

t4nd4r

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

Love the sales this week!