Official Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
905 replies to this topic

#31 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

That's pretty awesome with the currencies. I would also love an empty cart button. Would make turning away from those impulse purchases a little easier.

Been looking into adding an "Empty Cart" button, but it wont' be as easy as I originally thought. It seems that they don't have any back-end code to support this. Why? I guess they don't want you emptying your cart! So it looks like the "remove from cart" links are singular javascript form post calls. So any sort of "Empty Cart" button will likely require you to refresh the page x number of times, where x = the number of items in your cart.

:cry:

I'll keep looking into it though!

#32 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

Okay so I've finally got a working "Empty Cart" button going. Rather than manipulating the code on Steam's back end, I've simply overwrote the the local browser cookie variable. So you press "Empty Cart" and BAM it goes away (it's still there on Steam's side, but considered "abandoned").

Additionally, "featured games" now highlight correctly.

Additionally, I'll be releasing the extension's source code as open source soon. More on this later!

#33 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:42 AM

Awesome work, thanks!
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#34 HansKaosu

HansKaosu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Great progress.. keep it up :)

Edited by viiral, 18 January 2013 - 08:38 AM.

Twitter: FuurinRei

#35 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Yes -- if I haven't said it yet, thanks for all of your work on this jshackles.

#36 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

How possible would it be to add some restrictions/options to searches? Because while I like searching for just games. I would love to search for everything but trailers, demos, etc. Also games not appearing outside of a certain price range or not appearing in the search results if I already own them.

Not sure if any of it is possible, but just a suggestion if your thinking what else you could try to implement.

#37 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

How possible would it be to add some restrictions/options to searches? Because while I like searching for just games. I would love to search for everything but trailers, demos, etc. Also games not appearing outside of a certain price range or not appearing in the search results if I already own them.

Not sure if any of it is possible, but just a suggestion if your thinking what else you could try to implement.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at it. I think filtering the search results would end up with them merely hidden, meaning that if you own all of the games on that search result page it would simply be a blank page. And if you owned most, it would just be a short page of results (even if there was a page 2, etc).

Interesting idea though, especially with the price filtering. I'll keep you guys updated on what I find out. 8-)

#38 HansKaosu

HansKaosu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Steam has a filtered search option http://store.steampowered.com/search

Twitter: FuurinRei

#39 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Steam has a filtered search option http://store.steampowered.com/search

Not unless you want to remove only specific items from the search, or games within a price range such as $10 to $20.

#40 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

I certainly appreciate all the effort poured into ES thus far, kudos.

Just thinking out loud here, but speaking of searches, would it be possible to implement a sort by largest discount similar to what GamersGate does? I know SteamGameSales does that, but SGS doesn't always seem up to date or just doesn't update some items sometimes (plus it's slow). It's just a handy feature to have available, especially during large sales where some items do not get featured.

#41 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

I certainly appreciate all the effort poured into ES thus far, kudos.

Just thinking out loud here, but speaking of searches, would it be possible to implement a sort by largest discount similar to what GamersGate does? I know SteamGameSales does that, but SGS doesn't always seem up to date or just doesn't update some items sometimes (plus it's slow). It's just a handy feature to have available, especially during large sales where some items do not get featured.

I thought I saw somewhere where someone was going to start a petition to get me hired at Valve. Short of that, there isn't too much that can be done with search results and how they're sorted. To do so would require the script to pull every page of results, run through the logic (such as "Sort by highest discount") then reassemble the results.

Obviously, this isn't the ideal way to handle it. It would probably take less than an hour to implement if I had access to their back-end code (see the "Valve please hire" me part), as I've done this same thing for other projects I've worked on in the past.

So while I might be able to do a few limited things with their search functionality, I'm not expecting much unfortunately.

#42 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Are you sure you really want to work under GabeN just for access to his back-end? :shock:

Seriously though, I wasn't aware that would require such access. Shows my lack of knowledge and why you're the better suited to this task. Heck, I've been banging my head trying to turn my game managing Excel ss into a game/purchase/key/gift managing/tracking/sorting/lookup Access db. :wall:

#43 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Meh, Steam needs to switch to HTML5 with some kind of efficiently scalable SQL back end. It would make the website run so much smoother and have less issues. I don't even want to imagine how out of date/old their shit is.

#44 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Meh, Steam needs to switch to HTML5 with some kind of efficiently scalable SQL back end. It would make the website run so much smoother and have less issues. I don't even want to imagine how out of date/old their shit is.

Pretty much this. As best I can tell, their code was probably constructed around 2006-2007 and probably hasn't been updated much since, other than to add on new features like the community pages, etc.

I could probably write a whole other thread on: "If I worked at Valve I would do...."

#45 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Pretty much this. As best I can tell, their code was probably constructed around 2006-2007 and probably hasn't been updated much since, other than to add on new features like the community pages, etc.

I could probably write a whole other thread on: "If I worked at Valve I would do...."

Do it. The worst that could happen is that you waste your time complaining. Better cases include them listening and implementing changes, or them hiring you to do it

#46 evilw0n

evilw0n

Deals & Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

Great job and two thumbs up. Definitely will give any ideas that I have to you.

Edited by jmbreci, 19 January 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#47 Anthony_NL

Anthony_NL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Awesome improvement of my steam store :D. Waiting for updates to appear :).

#48 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

For those of you using the Firefox version: Mozilla still hasn't reviewed the code yet. If you want the latest version directly, you can download it from

http://www.enhanceds...anced-steam.xpi

I'll hopefully be updating the website today with the correct download links to Firefox.

#49 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

i noticed it does not mark packs as owned. is it possible to add that?

Considering packs change, and you may own some, but not all of the games, how would it be able to provide valuable information?

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#50 theemadgamer

theemadgamer

SILENCE! I keel you!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

For those of you using the Firefox version: Mozilla still hasn't reviewed the code yet. If you want the latest version directly, you can download it from

http://www.enhanceds...anced-steam.xpi

I'll hopefully be updating the website today with the correct download links to Firefox.

Thanks for the update, loving this!!:applause:

#51 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

i noticed it does not mark packs as owned. is it possible to add that?

Considering packs change, and you may own some, but not all of the games, how would it be able to provide valuable information?

BSB is right. Also, since Steam doesn't mark anywhere on the page that you own it, there is nothing for the code to look for. I've decided against writing code that will "spider", meaning its technically possible to load the page, see that it's a pack, grab all of the links on that page, see if you own them all, and if so report back to the page that you're on that you "own" that pack.

However, loading a page like search and filtering by packs would yield 100-300 GET requests to Steam which would be slow to resolve, hard on their servers, and return barely meaningful results.

Thanks for the update, loving this!!:applause:

You're welcome! I am hoping that Mozilla approves the code some time this week. In anticipation of this, I've got the website all set up for Chrome and Firefox. Depending on which browser you use to view the site, the "download" links will point you to the (hopefully) correct version of the code to install. :)

#52 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

So here is a preview of the DLC categorization in action:

Posted Image

The "Suggest a new Category" link will link back to EnhancedSteam.com where you will be able to pick from the available DLC categories, and submit what you think it should be. Something like this will obviously have to be crowd-sourced and moderated, as I would never be able to categorize every single piece of DLC on Steam.

What do you guys think?

Posted Image

Edited by jshackles, 21 January 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#53 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

So here is a preview of the DLC categorization in action:

The "Suggest a new Category" link will link back to EnhancedSteam.com where you will be able to pick from the available DLC categories, and submit what you think it should be. Something like this will obviously have to be crowd-sourced and moderated, as I would never be able to categorize every single piece of DLC on Steam.

What do you guys think?

Posted Image

Awesome! Love the Pay to Unlock notice :applause:

logo.png

#54 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Awesome! Love the Pay to Unlock notice :applause:

Thanks! I'm working on setting up the back-end on the website so that people can suggest new categories for DLC. It'll be a little difficult starting out, because I'm not sure if my categories will encompass every piece of DLC.

Also, one piece of DLC can be in multiple categories.

I'll do a few hundred entries in the database (so it's at least somewhat usable), set up the page to suggest a new category, then turn it loose in the 2.1 update. When you chaps and gals get the free time (once it's out) I would appreciate you helping me out with this! :)

#55 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Thanks! I'm working on setting up the back-end on the website so that people can suggest new categories for DLC. It'll be a little difficult starting out, because I'm not sure if my categories will encompass every piece of DLC.

Also, one piece of DLC can be in multiple categories.

I'll do a few hundred entries in the database (so it's at least somewhat usable), set up the page to suggest a new category, then turn it loose in the 2.1 update. When you chaps and gals get the free time (once it's out) I would appreciate you helping me out with this! :)

I am so pumped to help with this. It's just the right amount of menial work that I like to do in my spare time (not sarcasm, I actually do enjoy this sort of categorizing).

#56 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

I am so pumped to help with this. It's just the right amount of menial work that I like to do in my spare time (not sarcasm, I actually do enjoy this sort of categorizing).

Awesome I'll be glad for the assistance!

Here are the 12 categories of DLC I've decided on. I think at least 99% of all the DLC on Steam falls into one (or more) of these categories:

• New Single Player Content - This DLC unlocks a new single player campaign or additional story elements. (Example)
  • Multiplayer Only Content - Ths DLC only affects multi-player gameplay. (Example)
  • New Maps or Game Areas - This DLC adds new maps or areas to your game. (Example)
  • Cosmetic Content - This DLC adds cosmetic or costume changes to your game. (Example)
  • New In-Game Items - This DLC adds new in-game items, weapons, vehicles, or other "usable" equipment. (Example)
  • Pay to Unlock - This DLC unlocks something which can be unlocked via normal gameplay. (Example)
  • Soundtrack - This DLC unlocks the games soundtrack which can be listened to outside of the game. (Example)
  • Full Expansion - This DLC adds a significant amount of in-game content. Content may include new areas, new items, new gameplay modes, or more. (Example)
  • New Gameplay Mode - This DLC unlocks a new gameplay mode or mechanic not found in the base game. (Example)
  • Add-On - This DLC expands the base game by adding new content similar to the base game content, but not found in the base game. This includes new trains, new songs, or new cards. (Example)
  • New Character - This DLC unlocks a new playable character. (Example)
  • Multi-Pack - This DLC is a package that contains other DLC items. Please be careful when purchasing, as you may already own other items in this pack. (Example)

Posted Image

Edited by jshackles, 22 January 2013 - 12:22 AM.

#57 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

Holy crap, that's pretty nifty.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#58 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

Okay version 2.1 has been updated on Google and should start rolling out now. When updating to the newest version, you should now see the "Downloadable Content Details" section on DLC app pages.

I'm adding DLC to the database now (up to 150 individual entries so far!) and am trying to go through the more recent / popular games which have DLC that I know about what they do or what category they belong in. However, I encourage you all to submit the new category requests to me using the link on the page.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

#59 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Okay somewhat bad news - the price history function is broke at the moment and won't be working again until this weekend. Turns out that there were so many server requests (which were subsequently timing out, because SteamGameSales.com is SLOOOOW) that my hosting company suspended my account without warning.

After battling with them on the phone for an hour last night, they finally agreed to re-instate my hosting if I agreed to remove the offending script. So now, every price history request will return "No Information is available."

I'm at a professional conference until Friday, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to set up something this weekend.

#60 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Okay somewhat bad news - the price history function is broke at the moment and won't be working again until this weekend. Turns out that there were so many server requests (which were subsequently timing out, because SteamGameSales.com is SLOOOOW) that my hosting company suspended my account without warning.

After battling with them on the phone for an hour last night, they finally agreed to re-instate my hosting if I agreed to remove the offending script. So now, every price history request will return "No Information is available."

I'm at a professional conference until Friday, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to set up something this weekend.

You broke the interwebs!!!

logo.png