Official Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
905 replies to this topic

#571 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

It seems to be working for me.  What it looks like is happening is ES is filtering out the items that no longer have an actual discount.  Unless I'm misunderstanding what your saying.

Kaneda! What do you see?

#572 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

It seems to be working for me.  What it looks like is happening is ES is filtering out the items that no longer have an actual discount.  Unless I'm misunderstanding what your saying.

Yeah it should now be filtering games without discounts from the "Specials" page (like Valve should be).

I guess if there are a LOT of non-discounted games on this list it could potentially interfere with continuous scrolling.   I'll look into it, thanks for the heads up Marcelloz.

#573 ObsidianSpire

ObsidianSpire

Obsidian FTW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

I was always under the impression Valve's servers just take their sweet ass time to update for the store searching. I tend to see some games in the specials tab hours and hours after they go off sale.

jybOVvmATuEqX.png

Support Team CAG for Extra Life 2013 in November! Join us in our quest or donate. :D LINK

Current Contest/Giveaway: 

Donate to Extra Life & win one of 12 signed Red Orchestra 2 copies!

#574 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

I was always under the impression Valve's servers just take their sweet ass time to update for the store searching. I tend to see some games in the specials tab hours and hours after they go off sale.

I decided to add the feature to Enhanced Steam after seeing things on the specials page DAYS after they went off sale.

#575 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

Please help me get a job at Valve by signing this petition.

#576 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:27 AM

Signed! Do you think I can sign my dog, you deserve way more votes than I can give ^_^

Let me tell you two useful pieces of information...

#577 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

I'm not sure how complicated this would be or even if ES would be capable, but is there a way a genre filter could be added to one's game list?  I have the client categorizing into rough genres, but would like something similar on the web side for when I'm searching for what I want to play next.  I'd assume you'd have to use Steam's predesignated genre titles for this which isn't always the best, but it's better than nothing.

Kaneda! What do you see?

#578 awestover89

awestover89

So Much Backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

Please help me get a job at Valve by signing this petition.

Signed. I'd love to see the enhancements you could make if you were actually a developer for Valve without all the API restrictions.

#579 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

Just a quick question/suggestion: on the inventory page the lowest market price only pops up for cards, and not other marketable items like emoticons and backgrounds. Just wondering if that could be added, or if there was a reason for it's omission.

#580 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

Signed. I'd love to see the enhancements you could make if you were actually a developer for Valve without all the API restrictions.

Thanks!  So would I.   :)

Just a quick question/suggestion: on the inventory page the lowest market price only pops up for cards, and not other marketable items like emoticons and backgrounds. Just wondering if that could be added, or if there was a reason for it's omission.

In order for Enhanced Steam to "build" the URL to the market (where it can then grab the price information) it must have the AppID of the item in question, since Valve added the AppID to the beginning of market links (example, appid = 41800).  Conveniently, trading cards have a "view badge progress" button that contains this.  Unfortunately, emoticons and backgrounds do not expose this AppID in the code anywhere, so Enhanced Steam isn't able to determine the market page for those items.

The only way I could make it work would be to parse the name of the game it's from, then run a search on Steam and grab the first result, take that result's AppID and try to build a working marketplace link from that.  My guess is this method would work about 65% of the time is all.

EDIT: I'm testing out this theory and getting a little better results than expected.  Stay tuned.

5RtJ6hl.png

#581 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

signed, for some reason it wouldn't let me sign it last night. Persistence paid off!!! good luck jshackles.
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#582 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

ES just helped me find a Steam key I'd never activated from an Amazon bundle... back in January. Thanks, j-shaq!

¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#583 kid38

kid38

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hey! Thank you so much for the addon, really great work. You recently added active Marketplace listing total feature. Sorry if someone already pointed it out, but here is a little bug.

In Russia we use comma as decimal mark. Apparently, Enhanced Steam skips it and since there is no dot it thinks fraction is inside integer part. So 2300 + 36.89 on the screenshot became 5989 rub instead of 2336.89.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5pnxW.png

#584 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hey! Thank you so much for the addon, really great work. You recently added active Marketplace listing total feature. Sorry if someone already pointed it out, but here is a little bug.

In Russia we use comma as decimal mark. Apparently, Enhanced Steam skips it and since there is no dot it thinks fraction is inside integer part. So 2300 + 36.89 on the screenshot became 5989 rub instead of 2336.89.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it.  It's one of those things that's hard to test since I can't put things for sale in that currency - but I'll do what I can.  Cheers!

#585 r333k0

r333k0

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

something is wrong since a few updates ago on the firefox version, I'm not getting any "already owned" highlights for any games I own on search pages. Also, Some games don't have a link to the Steamdb on the store page.

I tried disabling all other features, disabling and reenabling ES, deleting and reinstalling it, but nothing helped. I am using ES 4.4 with firefox 25.0.1

Edit:  I think it is the same problem as these guys http://steamcommunit...39199267346440/

#586 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

something is wrong since a few updates ago on the firefox version, I'm not getting any "already owned" highlights for any games I own on search pages. Also, Some games don't have a link to the Steamdb on the store page.

I tried disabling all other features, disabling and reenabling ES, deleting and reinstalling it, but nothing helped.

It's still working fine for me.  ES v4.4 / Aurora v27.0a2

Kaneda! What do you see?

#587 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

I tried disabling all other features, disabling and reenabling ES, deleting and reinstalling it, but nothing helped. I am using ES 4.4 with firefox 25.0.1

Edit:  I think it is the same problem as these guys http://steamcommunit...39199267346440/

As others in the thread you linked to have found out, Enhanced Steam doesn't work in private browsing mode.  You must also have accept third party cookies enabled in your settings for highlighting to work correctly.  I'm going to try to look into why it's not working in private mode but I suspect that allowing third party cookies will probably always have to be enabled, given how the code works.

Hope this helps!

#588 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

Back to the See All Specials issue. Something is definitely wrong here.

With Enhanced Steam I get 7 showing. Without it I hand counted 52 items with a line through them and a lower price.

Now most of those are new release specials but I'd rather like the option to have them in. Once in while there is one that's sort of halfway decent like 25%-30% off or so.

But another thing is that it filtered out the existing owner/loyalty discount I get for Emergency 2014. Without Enhanced Steam I see it on the list with a line through the regular price and the sale price as $9.99. Existing owners of Emergency 2013 get 66% off but for those that don't own it, it's not on sale. It is showing up on the sale list for me without Enhanced Steam though.

For now, is there a way to turn this feature off? Because I hate to say this but at the moment it's actually worse for me than sifting through all the many not on sale items. It just filters way too many items that are legitimately on sale out.

steam_sig.png

#589 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

Back to the See All Specials issue. Something is definitely wrong here.

With Enhanced Steam I get 7 showing. Without it I hand counted 52 items with a line through them and a lower price.

Now most of those are new release specials but I'd rather like the option to have them in. Once in while there is one that's sort of halfway decent like 25%-30% off or so.

But another thing is that it filtered out the existing owner/loyalty discount I get for Emergency 2014. Without Enhanced Steam I see it on the list with a line through the regular price and the sale price as $9.99. Existing owners of Emergency 2013 get 66% off but for those that don't own it, it's not on sale. It is showing up on the sale list for me without Enhanced Steam though.

For now, is there a way to turn this feature off? Because I hate to say this but at the moment it's actually worse for me than sifting through all the many not on sale items. It just filters way too many items that are legitimately on sale out.

Do you have endless scroll enabled? That sometimes caused the same thing to happen to me, but after reinstalling ES it seems to have fixed it. I'm not sure about the loyalty discount thing, but that solved the neutered specials list for me anyway. If it's an option that can be disabled you might want to fiddle around with it.

#590 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Do you have endless scroll enabled? That sometimes caused the same thing to happen to me, but after reinstalling ES it seems to have fixed it. I'm not sure about the loyalty discount thing, but that solved the neutered specials list for me anyway. If it's an option that can be disabled you might want to fiddle around with it.

It's definitely the 'Enable Continuous Scrolling of Search Results'; just tested it.  I keep it off normally and I can see all the sale items, though I can not check on the loyalty discount because I don't own Emergency 2013.

Kaneda! What do you see?

#591 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

You are all correct - there is a bug with continuous scrolling.  It breaks when you "can't scroll".  ie the page is shorter than the resolution of your monitor.  For now, the only thing that can be done is to resize your window so that it shows a scrollbar, then scroll down, which should load the next set of results.  Enhanced Steam is looking for a "scroll" event in your browser.

In the next update, I'll be adding a part of that function that will detect if your on the search page and it's page height is lower than your window height it will automatically load the next set of search results.

Ultimately, I blame Valve for neglecting this section so much.  Motoki is only seeing 7 specials on a page that normally loads 25 search results.  That's... pretty bad.

#592 Marcelloz

Marcelloz

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

Signed the petition :) 

#593 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

So thanks to a new contributor, Enhanced Steam is getting a pretty cool new feature. Basically, Enhanced Steam can be used to apply a filter to workshop and profile comments to weed out "spam comments".

For example see below (taken from this page):

Before:
g15q6iM.png

After:
JP7Fgxe.png

Option:
30xIiiQ.png

Option (after clicking "Customize")
9Raru34.png

The current default really just gets rid of stuff like this. But it'll be expanded on soon (or you can write you're own custom regex, if that's your thing).

This will be in Enhanced Steam 5.1 which will be coming soon.

Also, new Greenlight banner.

Regular:
sY8wdEr.png

Greenlit:
lrUWbkM.png

#594 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

I just sent Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome version 5.1 to Google. Here is the changelog:

• Added an "Add to Wishlist" button on community app hubs
  • Added spam comment hiding from Workshop submissions and profiles
  • Added market link support for TF2, Dota 2, and CS:GO inventory items
  • Added a "game you do own" filter to friend's all games page
  • Added "Report Bug / Suggest Feature" to Enhanced Steam menu
  • Added reset options button to options page, instantly resetting all options to default
  • Restyled options page
  • Restyled Greenlight banner and added to software, concept and collection items.
  • Fixed a bug with options link within Enhanced Steam menu
  • Fixed a bug where continuous scrolling wasn't working under some circumstances
  • Fixed a bug where active market listings total wasn't calculating correctly for some users

You should be receiving the update automatically within the next 1-2 hours.

As always, let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

#595 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

Just a quick question: are you planning to change the "(X) friends recommended" to read "(X) friends reviewed" now that Valve has implemented the new review system? It's a trivial thing really, but if it isn't a big hassle it might be worth switching.

#596 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Just a quick question: are you planning to change the "(X) friends recommended" to read "(X) friends reviewed" now that Valve has implemented the new review system? It's a trivial thing really, but if it isn't a big hassle it might be worth switching.

Good call, that totally slipped my mind.  Thanks for the suggestion!

#597 mrmahon

mrmahon

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

"Badges With Card Drops Remaining" doesn't work (fetches no results) in Polish. Works fine in English.

#598 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

Updated Enhanced Steam to 5.1.1

• Added support for homepage highlighting on the Autumn / Spring sale
  • Fixed a bug where some some strings weren't being translated properly
  • Fixed a bug where one option wasn't able to be checked or unchecked

#599 awestover89

awestover89

So Much Backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hey Jshackles, just letting you know your site seems to be down. I get this message on the firefox download page:

Error 522 Ray ID: d41d02dd9b8042a Connection timed out If you're the owner of this website: Contact your hosting provider letting them know your web server is not completing requests. An Error 522 means that the request was able to connect to your web server, but that the request didn't finish. The most likely cause is that something on your server is hogging resources.

#600 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hey Jshackles, just letting you know your site seems to be down. I get this message on the firefox download page:

Error 522 Ray ID: d41d02dd9b8042a Connection timed out If you're the owner of this website: Contact your hosting provider letting them know your web server is not completing requests. An Error 522 means that the request was able to connect to your web server, but that the request didn't finish. The most likely cause is that something on your server is hogging resources.

Thanks.  I've been monitoring it all morning and yeah... it's been under supremely heavy load.  I'm working with my hosting company now to increase the capacity.  Hopefully everything is working now, but expect outages / delays every morning at about 10am pacific.  :)

There have been over 200,000 unique IP addresses hit the site since 9am, which is an Enhanced Steam record.  Enhanced Steam was also mentioned again on Lifehacker this morning and it's been getting tons of traffic from here, Reddit, Slickdeals, NeoGAF, and a multitude of others.

Thanks everyone for your patience and for helping spread the word!