Official Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
911 replies to this topic

#91 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Ugh that's my favorite feature! Just makes it so convenient. But I understand you have to do what you have to do.

I haven't entirely decided yet. There are a lot of ways I can take it. I'm kind of on the fence, but I'm leaning more towards leaving it in at the moment. Maybe it'll be a feature that's turned off by default and you'll have to go into the settings to enable it. Either that, or I'll just leave it the way it is. :)

Like Motoki said, there is probably more to this than we're thinking.

#92 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

I think the link is fairly neutral and less controversial than actually pulling in pricing data and pasting into Valve's page. It's data that's already out there anyway and it's easy enough to just take your url up in the bar, change the steampowered to steamgamesales and hit enter and get to the same page.

But yeah if it's really thought that Valve might get their panties in a bunch over it the default to off unless you opt in might work. *shrug*

#93 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

So... I noticed that Steam now shows games I already have in the front sales page.

Edit: NEVERMIND. I'm a retard. I had enhanced Steam installed in Firefox and I forgot.

#94 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

I think the link is fairly neutral and less controversial than actually pulling in pricing data and pasting into Valve's page. It's data that's already out there anyway and it's easy enough to just take your url up in the bar, change the steampowered to steamgamesales and hit enter and get to the same page.

But yeah if it's really thought that Valve might get their panties in a bunch over it the default to off unless you opt in might work. *shrug*

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I think I'll actually just keep it set up the way it is now. I guess I don't really see it as a point of contention between Valve hiring me or not, in that unlikeliest of scenarios.

Working on a few new feature requests this weekend, and am experimenting with javascript event listeners. Also, I'm trying to tackle the cross-domain scripting issue with Firefox. So even though the new features are coming a bit slower than they used to, they're still coming!

#95 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

So - last straw from current hosting company.

Moving to a new host where (hopefully) they will stop screwing with my site and shutting it off. Thank you to everyone for your donations that have made this move possible. :)

It might take a few hours (as in, 8 or so) for everything to propagate over and for me to copy the existing content and databases.

#96 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Oh geeze, what was their problem this time?

#97 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Oh geeze, what was their problem this time?

They decided to *arbitrarily* move my account from one shared server to another. After they were done, my homepage simply says:

biz131.inmotionhosting.com

Your IP is 68.185.2.196

After 2 hours on the phone with their support this morning, I decided it would be easier to simply switch hosting companies. Here it is almost noon and it's still not fixed. Support simply has no idea why it's broken.

I've purchased the new hosting and I'm waiting for the DNS nameserver changes to propagate so I can copy the content over. Good thing I keep backups!

EDIT:

For anyone reading this, NEVER sign up for service with InMotion Hosting. I've used them for 6 months and in that time, my site has gone down a total of 8 times. All outages which lasted over 2 hours each. Terrible support, and really just a joke considering the cost.

#98 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

Alright so version 2.3 for Google Chrome just got uploaded, here is the changelog:

v2.3
-----
: Fixed a bug in case-sensitive OS platforms
+ Localized price history information, it runs internally now
+ Reduced the number of GET requests overall, should help speed up performance
+ added an "add to cart" button on the wishlist page for each item

Basically, it removed the HTTP request for pricing data altogether so it should work even if my site is down (which, hopefully, it never will be again).

The new feature for this release is the "Add to cart" button that has been added to each item on your (and your friend's!) wishlist.

EDIT: Actually, found a pretty glaring bug (DOH!) so now it's version 2.4! Enjoy!

Edited by jshackles, 09 February 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#99 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

That's an awesome new feature. Thanks.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#100 Cloulien

Cloulien

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

I saw your post about the update today in the steam thread and it got me thinking of a few ideas for features for the wishlist page. Would it be possible to add to the wishlist page maybe at the top or bottom the current cost of everything on your wishlist? On the subject of the add items to cart addition would it be possible to also add a add all items to the cart button? and my last thought because I know it can highlight things you own. Would it be possible to add highlighting to items on the wishlist based on what it is? Such as highlighting dlc and games different colors.

Thanks for the awesome extension jshackles.

Games I Have For Sale/Trade:

Spoiler

Private Message me or add me on steam for more information if you are interested
gallery_474050_8161_38387.jpggallery_474050_8161_119930.jpg

#101 CthulhuSaves

CthulhuSaves

Slack Shatnerologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

Hiya,

Just found out about this. Nice!

Any chance of a version for us Opera users?

#102 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

Hiya,

Just found out about this. Nice!

Any chance of a version for us Opera users?

Approximately five minutes after the fat lady sings

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#103 HansKaosu

HansKaosu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

looks like the age gate blocks some games from being marked. Mark of the ninja for example.

#104 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

Ok, I've been going through and suggesting categories for some DLC and I'm having trouble trying to figure out what classifies some DLC as being an "Add-On" or a "Full Expansion." How much content does there need to be to be considered as one or there other?

For example, I've labeled the following as such:
Defense Grid (You Monster DLC) - Full Expansion
RAGE (The Scorchers DLC) - Add-On
PAYDAY (Wolf Pack) - Add-On
Trine 2 (Goblin Menace) - Full Expansion

I thought for indie games with a smaller development team, such as Trine 2 and Defense Grid, those DLC items could be considered as Full Expansions.

Thoughts/opinions?

#105 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Ok, I've been going through and suggesting categories for some DLC and I'm having trouble trying to figure out what classifies some DLC as being an "Add-On" or a "Full Expansion." How much content does there need to be to be considered as one or there other?

For example, I've labeled the following as such:
Defense Grid (You Monster DLC) - Full Expansion
RAGE (The Scorchers DLC) - Add-On
PAYDAY (Wolf Pack) - Add-On
Trine 2 (Goblin Menace) - Full Expansion

I thought for indie games with a smaller development team, such as Trine 2 and Defense Grid, those DLC items could be considered as Full Expansions.

Thoughts/opinions?

I've been using the "Add-On" classification for something that doesn't really add anything new to the game besides simply more content - things that could have originally been shipped with the game, but were not. Thus, they were "added on" at a later day. Some popular examples of this category are Rocksmith tracks and Train Simulator trains. This is usually used for a single piece of content that doesn't fit any other category (not a new gun, new character, etc).

"Full expansion" I've been using as a piece of DLC that adds more than three of the other classifications (as a general rule of thumb). So good call on Defense Grid You Monster DLC. It adds a new single player campaign, new items, new maps, and new gameplay modes. Also, sometimes being classified as an expansion could be as simple as them calling it "an expansion pack" which they've done in this instance.

I'm not entirely familiar with the Payday Wolf Pack (I haven't played this game) but just by reading the description I would guess it would be:

• New In-Game Items (new guns)
  • New Maps or Game Areas (new heist levels, could be single player content instead not sure)
  • New gameplay mode (technician specialty)

If there is something else included here that I don't know about or can't gleam from the description, it tips the scales into just being a "Full Expansion".

I hope this makes sense! Let me know if you have any other questions or feedback.

#106 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Ah, ok. That clears things up nicely. Thanks jshaq.

Also, I've noticed that when you redeem a key, it doesn't show up "x now owns y" in Friend Activity. It's only if you buy something from the store. I assume it's something that won't ever be a possibility in Enhanced Steam, but has any of your digging revealed why this might be?

#107 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Ah, ok. That clears things up nicely. Thanks jshaq.

Also, I've noticed that when you redeem a key, it doesn't show up "x now owns y" in Friend Activity. It's only if you buy something from the store. I assume it's something that won't ever be a possibility in Enhanced Steam, but has any of your digging revealed why this might be?

There isn't anything in the code to suggest one way or the other. I always just assumed it was a way to get you to buy stuff directly from them. :D

I had given some brief thought to adding some social / community type features to Enhanced Steam that would integrate with the Steam community pages. Something along the lines of a page on Enhanced Steam where you would create an account there that was tied to your Steam account, then you could go to that page and enter things like game purchases you made from other sites and how much you paid. Those purchases would then show up in your community feed, but only for your friends that have the extension installed. It would also tally those purchases in your "total purchases on Steam".

I just don't know if there would be any interest or not.

#108 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

I'm putting the finishing touches on version 2.5 finally (sorry for the development gap)

This version will have quite a few bug fixes and for new features it includes ratings / certifications from the Widescreen Gaming Forum which detail which games work well with widescreen formats, and which work well with multiple monitors / eyefinity setups.

#109 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Awesome! Been a fan (but not participant) of WSGF for a few years now.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#110 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

That is an awesome feature that I didn't even realize I wanted.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#111 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Yeah it should work out pretty well. One of their forum members suggested it and I've been working with their admins to get a proper data feed set up. It will look like this:

Posted Image

(Where you would normally see "Awards") and for those not accustomed to their ratings, the mouseover text is the same as their site

Posted Image

There is also a link back to their site for more information.

Of course, it's something you can turn off in the options. Since it's cross domain stuff, it's only going to work in Firefox for now.

#112 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Version 2.5 has been released!

Chrome users should be getting updated automatically. This version adds:

• WSGF Certification support (see above)
  • The ability to replace the Greenlight banner

Here is a preview of the Greenlight change:

Before (This is normal)

After:
Posted Image

The banner change is OFF by default, but if you'd like to enable it you can do so from within the settings page under "Community".

#113 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:48 AM

Is the WSGF stuff live for Firefox yet? I still only see 1.6 on es.com
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#114 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

Is the WSGF stuff live for Firefox yet? I still only see 1.6 on es.com

Unfortunately I'm still unable to figure out how exactly (if it's even possible) to do "cross domain scripting" in the Firefox addon. So any new feature that pulls data in from another site, in this case WSGF, will be Chrome only until that's resolved.

If there is anyone within the sound of my voice that's ever done this or could point me in the right direction, there are a TON of features I'd love to implement in Firefox!

#115 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

Unfortunately I'm still unable to figure out how exactly (if it's even possible) to do "cross domain scripting" in the Firefox addon. So any new feature that pulls data in from another site, in this case WSGF, will be Chrome only until that's resolved.

Gotcha, but I think then you made a slip of the fingers previously:

Of course, it's something you can turn off in the options. Since it's cross domain stuff, it's only going to work in Firefox for now.

I see the WSGF badges on the Crysis page (in Chrome). Great stuff as usual jshaq!
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#116 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

Gotcha, but I think then you made a slip of the fingers previously:

Yep I screwed that one up pretty good. :)

I see the WSGF badges on the Crysis page (in Chrome). Great stuff as usual jshaq!

Thanks! If I get some spare time this weekend (I have to work tomorrow, ugh!) I'm going to try to tackle the Firefox cross-domain issues. If not, I do have a week off for spring break coming up soon, about 4 days of which I'll be home.

Additionally, a huge "THANK YOU" to everyone who has rated the extension on the Chrome Web Store! Enhanced Steam is currently the #1 rated extension for shopping!

Posted Image

#117 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:12 AM

Additionally, a huge "THANK YOU" to everyone who has rated the extension on the Chrome Web Store! Enhanced Steam is currently the #1 rated extension for shopping!

Awesome! Thanks for all your continued hard work on this. It really does make a difference when it comes to shopping on Steam. In tribute to your amazing work, here's a lovely poem for you. Just imagine the noun version of "rock" is 'jshackles" and instead of "sits," think "programs cool shit to make our digital lives easier." ;)

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#118 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

Working on some code to highlight the daily deal (it's more complicated than it should be).

Long story short, I'm not able to resize the image itself (yet) and move the timer appropriately. The end result looks like this:

Posted Image

EDIT:

Nevermind, got it.

Posted Image

Edited by jshackles, 17 March 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#119 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

I've submitted version 2.0 of the Firefox extension to Mozilla. Once they review the code, it should automatically update for those of you that have it installed.

Version 2.0 back-ports a lot of the previously "Chrome Only" features into the Firefox version. This includes DLC categorization, WSGF certifications, pricing history, and Metacritic user scores.

#120 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

I've submitted version 2.0 of the Firefox extension to Mozilla. Once they review the code, it should automatically update for those of you that have it installed.

Version 2.0 back-ports a lot of the previously "Chrome Only" features into the Firefox version. This includes DLC categorization, WSGF certifications, pricing history, and Metacritic user scores.

Awesome!!! Thanks man. =D

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png