Official Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
912 replies to this topic

#121 Bort_

Bort_

Aw, c'mon! Bort?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

I've submitted version 2.0 of the Firefox extension to Mozilla. Once they review the code, it should automatically update for those of you that have it installed.

Version 2.0 back-ports a lot of the previously "Chrome Only" features into the Firefox version. This includes DLC categorization, WSGF certifications, pricing history, and Metacritic user scores.

Awww yeah, thanks a lot keeping up supporting the Firefox extension. :applause:

#122 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

People over at the SPUF seem to have drawn a correlation between the image icons not showing up for some games in the wish list and those games not showing up on people's list of games when you look at their profiles.

http://forums.steamp...93&postcount=52

I wonder if this is something that can be fixed like the image links got fixed.

#123 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

People over at the SPUF seem to have drawn a correlation between the image icons not showing up for some games in the wish list and those games not showing up on people's list of games when you look at their profiles.

Ah makes sense I suppose I never noticed. Should be an easy thing to fix in the code but I'm on Spring Break with the family til Friday. I have every confidence that I will be able to fix that this weekend. :-)

#124 CthulhuSaves

CthulhuSaves

Slack Shatnerologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

Just repeating my earlier question, will there ever be an Opera version of this? That would be insanely cool.

#125 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

Just repeating my earlier question, will there ever be an Opera version of this? That would be insanely cool.

Sorry there currently are no plans to create an Opera version, but if someone were interested in making one I would be happy to share the code I have.

Currently I'm only focusing on Chrome and Firefox.

#126 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

So upon looking at this further, I'm not sure if there is much that Enhanced Steam can do here. I thought maybe it was just a matter of the items not displaying correctly because they had no image, but it turns out that the data for these particular games isn't being returned AT ALL on that page. Bummer.

#127 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

So upon looking at this further, I'm not sure if there is much that Enhanced Steam can do here. I thought maybe it was just a matter of the items not displaying correctly because they had no image, but it turns out that the data for these particular games isn't being returned AT ALL on that page. Bummer.

Aww man. I've had people go 'hey you don't own such and such game' and I'm like 'Uh, yes I do'. I mean if I try to put it in my cart or someone tries to gift it to me it will say I already own it I just wish there was a way to pull that info through the to profile.

Some people on the SPUF thread were trying to argue with me that the wishlist images not showing was because of the developers and not Valve. One person said the developers didn't give the images at all and when I said they are on the servers someone else said the developers didn't flag the image right or some such.

Anyway, it's curiouser and curiouser that the same set of games seem to be both screwed up on the wishlist images and people's profiles. I'd say Valve should fix it but I am not going to hold my breath.

#128 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

I'm going to check out the Steam web APIs. I think if your profile is set to public, then anyone can access which games you currently own via the web API. Recently another developer pointed that out to me, so I'm looking into using it in cool and interesting ways.

If the particular game in question shows that you do indeed own it via the web API, it shouldn't be difficult to add it to the list of owned games.

Which game in particular do you own that isn't showing up on your list?

#129 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Which game in particular do you own that isn't showing up on your list?

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
Any of the Legacy of Kane stuff
King Arthur: Fallen Champions
A couple of the New Vegas DLC (Old World Blues and Lonesome Road)
Noitu Love 2

Also Sacred 2 does not show on profiles even though I don't own it. For example I believe that I saw that you bought it a while back but it does not show on your profile.

Basically any game on this list will not show on profiles: http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=3065756

On a completely unrelated note, is there any way the "add to cart" buttons on the wishlist can add the games to the carts without directly taking you to the cart page? I'm going through my list now for the last minutes of the indie sale trying to add a bunch of stuff and every time I do I have to page back to the wishlist again. Would be easier if it just kept adding it and then I could just click on the cart link when I am done.

#130 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

On a completely unrelated note, is there any way the "add to cart" buttons on the wishlist can add the games to the carts without directly taking you to the cart page? I'm going through my list now for the last minutes of the indie sale trying to add a bunch of stuff and every time I do I have to page back to the wishlist again. Would be easier if it just kept adding it and then I could just click on the cart link when I am done.

I've looked in to this, but the only way it could be done would to be to load the shopping cart page into an invisible iFrame on the same page, which I'm not sure if even Google Chrome's (in comparison) lax security would allow. I'll keep checking though, sorry for the trouble.

I'd also like to announce that I'm now accepting donations in Bitcoin! You can find the QR code and link on my homepage at http://www.enhanceds....com/donate.php. You can also send donations directly to 16Gi8pJTReLBMF7hPfB6VZhSp5L2nKDXbc

I figure there might be more than a few of you guys with high powered gaming graphics cards that you could also be using to mine bitcoins in their off time. ;)

#131 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

I've looked in to this, but the only way it could be done would to be to load the shopping cart page into an invisible iFrame on the same page, which I'm not sure if even Google Chrome's (in comparison) lax security would allow. I'll keep checking though, sorry for the trouble.

And I guess checkboxes and then an 'add all checked items to cart' button wouldn't work either?

If not it's fine. Don't worry about it. Thanks for checking though.

Sometimes I feel like Valve don't even use their own site. I think it's pretty common for people to go through their wishlist on the last day of a big sale and add multiple items to their cart.

Then again I guess since Valve employees automatically own every game on Steam they don't need to worry about such things. :roll:

#132 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

And I guess checkboxes and then an 'add all checked items to cart' button wouldn't work either?

If not it's fine. Don't worry about it. Thanks for checking though.

Sometimes I feel like Valve don't even use their own site. I think it's pretty common for people to go through their wishlist on the last day of a big sale and add multiple items to their cart.

Then again I guess since Valve employees automatically own every game on Steam they don't need to worry about such things. :roll:

Their cart page (and code) is an absolute mess. To add something to the shopping cart requires an HTTP POST. Even building the "add to cart" button for the wishlist was a mess because their shopping cart IDs for each game do not match their App IDs. Since the shopping cart ID for each game is nowhere to be found on the wishlist itself, the extension loads the store page for each game, finds the form that contains the ID, and passes it back to the wishlist page. All very messy.

I really wouldn't think it'd be too hard to implement something like that, and quite honestly I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet officially. What is the worst that could happen? It would encourage people to buy more games, I would think.

If I had access to the codebase itself on the Steam servers, I'm certain I could implement changes like this. If anyone from Valve is reading this - I'm ready for my interview!

#133 Andytizer

Andytizer

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

I just wanted to say that I am very very impressed with this program. If there is any way for you to also introduce some sort of PCGamingWiki integration that would be all kinds of amazing, and a lot of people would find it useful (especially me!), especially as you already have WSGF integration.

#134 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Somehow I hadn't really used PCGamingWiki before, but noticed there's talk about moving the flibitijibibo Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam there.

http://forums.steamp...90#post34252290

That could be useful. I kind of think the whole DRM thing could use wiki'fying since Steam is bad about proving the correct info at times and that's a lot to put on one person to maintain that list.

#135 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

I just wanted to say that I am very very impressed with this program. If there is any way for you to also introduce some sort of PCGamingWiki integration that would be all kinds of amazing, and a lot of people would find it useful (especially me!), especially as you already have WSGF integration.

Like any other type of integration, there has to be some way to tie the information together. I can't be held responsible for creating a database that says Steam AppID 8870 (Bioshock Infinite) = PC Gaming Wiki url /wiki/Bioshock_infinite

Somehow I hadn't really used PCGamingWiki before, but noticed there's talk about moving the flibitijibibo Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam there.

http://forums.steamp...90#post34252290

That could be useful. I kind of think the whole DRM thing could use wiki'fying since Steam is bad about proving the correct info at times and that's a lot to put on one person to maintain that list.

The nice thing about wikis like this (that use MediaWiki as their base code) is that there is a built in API that is enabled by default. I've coded many projects in the past using MediaWiki API calls, and they're usually pretty painless.

If PCGamingWiki implemented a page parameter that had the Steam App ID embedded into it, it'd be a heck of a lot easier to work with.

#136 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

Enhanced Steam has been updated with a bugfix version of 2.7 for Google Chrome and 2.1 for Mozilla Firefox. The following bugs were fixed:

• Fixed a bug when setting the default greenlight banner option
  • Fixed a bug which showed Tages on all games in German store
  • Fixed a bug on some games which have no DRM but were showing DRM banner

Additionally, I want to give a huge "Thank you" again to the community. The extension is starting to get some press in some online news outlets, and I'm getting 500+ installs daily now! :applause:

www.EnhancedSteam.com/press.php

#137 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

Here is a preview of the next version:
Spoiler

#138 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

Interesting. So is it going to be looking at everything in inventory (i.e., you have this game sitting in your inventory), or just coupons?

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#139 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

Interesting. So is it going to be looking at everything in inventory (i.e., you have this game sitting in your inventory), or just coupons?

I have access to both, was thinking of doing both but with different colors. The coupon one will add a dialog about "You have a coupon for this game..." to the store page also.

Also, owning a game will supersede it being in your inventory or a coupon, so if you have a coupon for a game you already own, it will still be highlighted in green (though it'll still have the bit on the product page).

Lots of new stuff - if anyone is interested in helping contribute, I have a repository set up on Github now. Let me know if interested!

#140 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

I have access to both, was thinking of doing both but with different colors. The coupon one will add a dialog about "You have a coupon for this game..." to the store page also.

Also, owning a game will supersede it being in your inventory or a coupon, so if you have a coupon for a game you already own, it will still be highlighted in green (though it'll still have the bit on the product page).

Lots of new stuff - if anyone is interested in helping contribute, I have a repository set up on Github now. Let me know if interested!

Will the product page's price change to reflect the price after coupon?

#141 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Will the product page's price change to reflect the price after coupon?

Looking into that as well. The (somewhat) problem is that like most things, it's like Valve made it almost intentionally difficult. Rather than listing the AppIDs for the items coupons can be used on, they have YET ANOTHER ID that ties into the search results.

So the way it works right now is this: you browse to Steam, and Enhanced Steam grabs your coupon IDs, finds the search ID for that coupon, then uses that to load the search results to find the correct App ID for each coupon.

It's needlessly complicated and could be easily fixed if Valve would simply put the Steam App IDs for the applicable titles into their coupon data feed.

SO I'm hoping that I'll be able to pull this data and update the page appropriately with the correct discount, but to do so will require that I essentially do the above steps in reverse. 8-)

EDIT: Got it!
Posted Image

Edited by jshackles, 10 April 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#142 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Damn, man. You're quick.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#143 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

Damn, man. You're quick.

Right now it only works with games that are not currently on sale. It won't calculate combined discounts (yet). It also only works with the first item returned on the coupon results. I know some coupons are "10% off any Valve game" or whatever, but I don't have any of those to test with (hint! hint!)

So it has it's limitations, but it's coming along nicely. :D

#144 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Version 2.8 has been released to Google Chrome. Firefox update coming soon, though unfortunately many of the new features will not be possible in Firefox.

Coupon highlighting is still a bit of a work in progress, but it'd be great if those of you with coupons in your inventory can browse out to the game pages for those coupons and let me know if everything is working correctly.

Here is the changelog for v2.8:
+ Added profile links to various web services
+ Added forum link in community drop down
+ Added coupon highlighting and app page coupon notifications and pricing
+ Added Enhanced Steam option page link to header
+ Added option to remove "Install Steam" button on each page at the top

#145 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Great update. I've already hidden my install steam button and the coupon stuff works correctly for both coupons I have on my account. Thanks!

#146 Izod

Izod

CheepLikeASpoder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

FYI here's how to update exentensions on Chrome for those who don't know how (I didn't!)

http://lifehacker.co...rome-extensions

#147 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

The coupon stuff is awesome because honestly sometimes I had those damned things and forgot about them.

#148 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

Great update. I've already hidden my install steam button and the coupon stuff works correctly for both coupons I have on my account. Thanks!

Great to hear! I was worried about it not working as I only had one account with coupons to test it with.

The coupon stuff is awesome because honestly sometimes I had those damned things and forgot about them.

Yeah that always bugged me too. :lol: Hopefully in the next version I'll be able to get it to correctly stack discounts if applicable. Of course, to test that they would need to put out an active coupon that supports it while also putting that game on sale. ;)

Here's hoping for a daily deal on Bit.Trip Runner2

#149 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

I bought Tiny and Big recently for 90 cents during that indie week sale because the discount stacked with a coupon. You had to go through some shenanigans of installing some German android app to get it. Not sure if the offer is still available.

*Edit: Okay Reddit is listing it as expired but no one mentioned not being able to get it anymore in the comments so I don't know. Might be worth a try still.

http://www.reddit.co...scount_on_tiny/

Anyway, it's not on sale so won't help for the moment.

The only other coupons I have explicitly state they won't combine with any other offer.

#150 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

I bought Tiny and Big recently for 90 cents during that indie week sale because the discount stacked with a coupon. You had to go through some shenanigans of installing some German android app to get it. Not sure if the offer is still available.

*Edit: Okay Reddit is listing it as expired but no one mentioned not being able to get it anymore in the comments so I don't know. Might be worth a try still.

http://www.reddit.co...scount_on_tiny/

Anyway, it's not on sale so won't help for the moment.

The only other coupons I have explicitly state they won't combine with any other offer.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked into that, but it seems that the required app is a "Coupon a day" app so it was only valid for the one day. Maybe next time!