Spam Posts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Threads have been getting hit with random ad spam posts the past week or so. Can't tell if they're new or hacked accounts since I'm constantly on mobile, but it's worth addressing.

#2 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

There's always been spam and there always will be. Just report it and the mods will take care of it.

#3 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Spam bots make accounts on the site all the time, and there's very little we can do to try and find them out before they make their presence known.

Also, there have been account that spam as soon as they're created, others than do so after a week and others that do it after a longer period of time.

When we find one account that spams, we go looking for other accounts made around the same time and see if they look to be spam accounts waiting to be used. If they look funny, they're flushed out. If we see IPs that have multiple spam accounts, we put them into the IP ban list.

We're working as best as we can to get get of spam as we find it and before it shows up, though we're a big site with lots of users and hard to find them all.

#4 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Guess I never noticed or spotted them until recently.

#5 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

I sometimes get them replying to my trade thread. I would always check and they never posted anywhere else but my thread. Kind of odd.

And sometimes it wouldn't be spam, it would just be a word-for-word copy of a post I had personally made before somewhere else on CAG. Strange stuff.

I always report them, but its a free bump for me, so I kind of like them.

#6 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

We are switching to new software that has more advanced spam blocking tools.

#7 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

Pretty sure that one was out of spite.
Posted Image