Disney Infinity AKA Disney Skylanders

Erad30

CAGiversary!
Your First Look at Disney Infinity

More than just Disney Skylanders.

by Andy Robertson
January 15, 2013
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/15/your-first-look-at-disney-infinity#

After much speculation, Disney Infinity was fully unveiled for 360, PS3, Wii, WiiU, 3DS, PC and Mobile at a event in Hollywood today hosted by John Lasseter and John Pleasants, Chief Creative Office and Co-President at Disney respectively. It is scheduled to arrive this summer.
The game will, as reports had suggested, build on the play mechanics of Avalanche Software’s Toy Story 3: The Video Game that offered both a campaign and Toy Box game-maker modes.
More surprising is the inclusion of a comprehensive set of 30+ Disney Infinity toy figures. These characters, which unusually span different Disney franchises, work in a similar way to Skylanders figures. Place them on the Infinity Base USB peripheral, Disney’s very own Portal of Power, and they provide instant access to characters in the game.

Similarly, items collected and experience gained are saved back to the toys without the need for button presses or menus. Stat upgrades and special attacks are handled differently - instead of permanently progressing characters like Skylanders, Disney Infinity uses a quick-swap mechanic accessed by physical circular tokens. Place the circular discs under the toy figure on the Infinity Base and they are granted a new power related to the Disney character featured on the disc. For example, a Finn McMissile disc would provide the ability to fire homing missiles. Up to two discs can be stacked for multiple power-ups.

Stat upgrades and special attacks are handled differently - instead of permanently progressing characters like Skylanders, Disney Infinity uses a quick-swap mechanic accessed by physical circular tokens.

Although this means there is a reduced sense of progressing your toy character - something that kids quickly warmed to in Skylanders - it cleverly opens the door for these inexpensive discs to be provided in a variety of ways. Along with selling them "blind" in sealed packs like LEGO mini-figures and collectable card games, it’s not a huge stretch to imagine them turning up in boxes of cereal or packets of crisps - and perhaps more healthy snack products too.
John Blackburn, founder of Avalanche Software, the game's developer, explained the different approach to upgrades: "A lot of it came down to technical reason as well as user experience. If you are connected you can save elements with your Disney ID and then it can potentially get confusing - where is my stuff really saved, on the toy or in the cloud?" (You can see the full interview here.)
The game itself offers similar play to Toy Story 3: The Video Game. Play Set pieces are placed on the Infinity base to access various campaign modes, or players can create and share their own games with no Play Set present in the impressively fully featured Toy Box mode. A slight dampener here is that it appears that only certain figures will be able to be used in particular play sets.

Blackburn went on to tell us that the "Starter Pack offers three virtual stories, Monsters University, Pirates of the Carribbean and The Incredibles, and you get one character for each, three figures in total." The pack will also include a Play Set and Upgrade Token as well as the Infinity Base. 30+ figures will be available initially and sold separately. The toy figures can be used across different platforms, taking their experience and funds with them.

Starter Pack offers three virtual stories, Monsters University, Pirates of the Carribbean and The Incredibles, and you get one character for each, three figures in total.

Blackburn also described the multiplayer experience. "Playing together was important to us, we provide two player split-screen as well as four player online in drop-in drop-out network play," he said. The inclusion of this split-screen and online multiplayer modes for both Story and Toy Box play, as well as the ability to jump, will please many players who have criticised Skylanders for lacking these features. It seems to indicate that Avalanche Software has its eye on both casual and hard-core young gamers.
Disney Infinity represents a considerable risk for Disney Interactive, which has not been profitable of late. A big part of this risk is the toy figures themselves; getting them right and triggering a collection craze will be no mean feat. But Blackburn has obviously enjoyed the process. "It’s actually been really cool because we got to work with a lot of the content creators out of Disney - Pixar on Monsters University for example as well as Jerry Bruckheimer’s team on Pirates."
Although less of a concern for older gamers, a big part of Skylanders' success was the willingness of children to play with the figures away from the game. Blackburn described how Avalanche tackled this. "We wanted this to be highly collectable. John Lasseter who was really one of the sponsors of this inside Disney wanted to be sure we were respecting the collector and doing right by them. We spent a lot of time on paint passes, poses and ensuring that all the characters look like they belong together while also looking like themselves."

As is normal with these sorts of announcements, it is likely that what we have seen today is just the tip of the iceberg, with more packs and characters coming soon. Keeping this flow of information both in the run up to its summer launch will be key to making Disney Infinity a success in the playground. Expect glow-in-the-dark, light-up, vibrating, edible, limited edition Disney Infinity characters to be hitting eBay before you know it.
Andy Robertson produces the FamilyGamerTV YouTube channel and writes about video-games for families.

-I really enjoy skylanders, with Disney characters it could be really fun but I'm not sure about this token system...

Oh good lord. Disney is going to print money out of it's ass with this. Even if it isn't as good as Skylanders, it's Disney. I can imagine people just buying tons and tons of figures because it's Disney and well you know how hardcore some people are with Disney.

This is going to be crazy. If the game is actually good (and probably even if it isn't) they're going to make a fortune off of this. I know I want it. ALL of it.

Kinda expensive though. $75 starter pack (same as Skylanders), $13 for single characters, $5 for a blind 2 pack of some kind of item ability add on discs. I wonder how many discs there are going to be. Enough for me to blow all my money and then some I'm sure. Pretty cool in a way I guess they're like trading cards. Going to be fun.

I sure hope they add more characters though than what's been shown. Where are the DIsney Princesses like Jasmine or Ariel or Belle. Also obviously missing a bunch of other characters.

[quote name='ShockandAww']This is going to be crazy. If the game is actually good (and probably even if it isn't) they're going to make a fortune off of this. I know I want it. ALL of it.

Kinda expensive though. $75 starter pack (same as Skylanders), $13 for single characters, $5 for a blind 2 pack of some kind of item ability add on discs. I wonder how many discs there are going to be. Enough for me to blow all my money and then some I'm sure. Pretty cool in a way I guess they're like trading cards. Going to be fun.

I sure hope they add more characters though than what's been shown. Where are the DIsney Princesses like Jasmine or Ariel or Belle. Also obviously missing a bunch of other characters.[/QUOTE]It's Disney, they will make sure every character is there for their money pleasure :lol:. They said there is 30+ chars to start so I would imagine them releasing the characters in sets. I know this game is going to bankrupt a lot of people :lol:.

It could get incredibly crazy if they start using stuff they own outside the immediate Disney sphere like say Marvel or Star Wars.

Disney Infinity aka Disney Crack. I've seen you guys on that deal forum!

I never took to Skylanders, and I'm not about to start having Disney figurines in my house, but apparently this is modeled after Toy Story 3, which I've heard good things about. I wouldn't mind trying it if I didn't have to buy the little trinkets, but I'm sure that's not possible.

Toy Story 3's Toybox mode was really solid, so if that's what they are basing it on, the core gameplay should be great. I do think these "discs" could be make or break for the game. If they merely add stat bonuses, well whatever. If they are a virtual necessity then it's a no go for me. I really enjoy the light diablo-esque gameplay Skylanders offers with the level grinding and purchasing new abilities. If you can't build up the characters at all without those discs, the long term appeal might be limited.

I never bought Skylanders since I am still waiting for the original starter kit for PS3 to drop in price to under $30 and missed the $9.99 PC version deal on Black Friday, I think I'd rather get this than Skylanders so I guess I am glad I didn't get started with it and buying figures.

More Disney Infinity details – pricing, Wii U tidbits, Infinity 2 confirmed… already

January 15th, 2013 Posted in 3DS, News, Posted by Valay, Wii, Wii U Another round of Disney Infinity details have emerged. Below you’ll find information covering pricing (starter pack, individual figures, and discs), specific tidbits about the Wii U version, and even a confirmation that there are plans for a sequel.
The new details are as follows:
- Won’t work without the special figures
- 17 initial characters
- A few of these will come packaged with the game
- Figures will cost $13 each
- $75 starter pack
- Features three playsets
- More characters and playsets throughout the year
- Buying add-on collectible toys unlocks more playable characters and brand new levels
- Power discs are RFID chips set in a small piece of plastic
- When a player stacks these up on the interface device, they might add specific new items into the Toy Box mode
- Other discs can augment game characters when you place them between the figure and the interface
- Wreck-It Ralph disc: more strength
- Power discs will be sold in blind packages
- $5 for two random discs
- Figures will be sold in Disney Stores and theme parks
- Not easy to convince John Lasseter to put every property into a single video game
- Blackburn’s first pitch to John Lasseter involved “all different kinds of toys… childish versions that didn’t articulate, full action figure versions, plushies and stuffed animals. When you put them all together, it looked really weird.”
- Lasseter didn’t like it, but he told Blackburn that if he could create one single toy line where Jack Sparrow and Sully the monster could stand next to each other and look like they were meant to be together, he could get behind the idea
- “He said he didn’t like it, but then he solved the problem for us.”
- Online and local multiplayer
- Playing through the various “playset” levels will let you unlock hundreds of new toys and parts to play with in Toy Box
- Can’t self-publish your creation in Toy Box
- Can invite a friend to join you online and test your game in real-time
- Before other players can save your level to their hard drives, it’s got to go through Disney
- Disney will solicit content and publish the best of the best
- Intended to keep the game safe for kids
- New characters and playsets will be included on the disc that players buy
- Won’t be playable until the toys are released later in the year
- iOS companion app will be released
- Each figure will come with a unique “web code” that will unlock that character in the PC and iOS versions of the game
- The team wants to add two-player split-screen for the Wii U version
- One player would use the GamePad, another would play through the TV
- Avalanche only just finished its engine since the Wii U just came out
- The team is currently putting in all features it can for the Wii U game
- Only has about a month of development time left to do so
- Plans are in the works for Infinity 2
- Disney is out to build a “platform”
- Disney can release Infinity levels and characters to promote them without necessarily having to create entirely new videogames for each of those properties
Head past the break for commentary from Disney and developer Avalanche Studios.

Disney chief creative officer John Lasseter
“This is one of the most creative things in the interactive world that I have ever seen. It’s a tool chest for creativity.”
“I’m so excited about this because… I know the amazing new stories and new characters that we’re creating, and this is now something to look forward to, bringing the future to the Infinity game set.”
John Blackburn, Disney VP and general manager of Infinity developer Avalanche Studios

“We are going to allow this place that’s kind of like your living room floor. We’re not going to go into [your living room] and tell you how to play with your toys, and that’s the same thing here. We give you a bunch of toys and say, here, go play.”

“We weren’t able to push it as far as we wanted to in that particular game (Toy Story 3). There were a lot of things in Toy Story that [Pixar] wouldn’t allow us to do.”

“We’re kind of launching a five-year plan,. We’ve got a lot of our best properties from Disney that you’re going to see over the course of a year.”

“Touch sensitivity, drag-and-drop, point-and-click is really powerful for the building modes.”

“Man, Disney has a lot of really cool properties. I want to do it all.”

“What we didn’t want was, you’re a 12-year-old, you go create something vulgar, send it to an 8-year-old, and then their parents see that and say, where did this come from?”

I'm not a real big Disney fan, but I avoid games like this and Skylanders just because they're huge money sinks and take up too much space :|

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Oh good lord. Disney is going to print money out of it's ass with this. Even if it isn't as good as Skylanders, it's Disney. I can imagine people just buying tons and tons of figures because it's Disney and well you know how hardcore some people are with Disney.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. Like with Disney steelbooks and Vinylmation figures. I was looking for a regular Stitch Vinylmation for a birthday gift and one sold for $65 on eBay. Wtf. And, $13 per figure is about the same price as Vinylmations, but these Infinity characters come with built-in stands and look pretty detailed.

[quote name='AugustAPC']I'm not a real big Disney fan, but I avoid games like this and Skylanders just because they're huge money sinks and take up too much space :|[/QUOTE]

Yeah I pretty much avoided Skylanders for exactly that reason, but then my wife got it for me for Christmas. I've got about 12 characters and that's pretty much all I'm getting, but this Disney one could get a lot more nuts if each set offers new levels, but then that's a lot more value than you get with the different skylanders figures.

[quote name='Logg']My son loves Skylanders but it just came to me.

STAR WARS Skylanders, my god.[/QUOTE]

Please PLEASE don't mention that. It might give them ideas. One must not speak of such thigns. Wallets everywhere cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

[quote name='Logg']My son loves Skylanders but it just came to me.

STAR WARS Skylanders, my god.[/QUOTE]

or Marvel... or DC... or basically any franchise with recognizable characters. Ugh. $13 a pop is tough to swallow.

I'm sure there will be tons of sales and bundles deals, they have them on skylanders figures all the time.

Yikes. They've basically readied their money printer with this...

I'm still slightly surprised Nintendo hasn't copied this with Pokemon. Buy a $$ figure, use a QR Scan (on 3DS) or portal or whatever and unlock one of that Pokemon into your game.

Thankfully, I've stayed out of Skylanders. And I intend to keep out of Infinity, too.

I guess Disney didn't learn from the crap Capcom got about putting the DLC on the disc. Because they're doing it with this.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/future-disney-infinity-content-already-on-disc-6402947
Disney Infinity executive producer John Vignocchi has explained to Videogamer that some future Disney Infinity content will be on disc from the get-go. He also confirmed that Disney Infinity will see a yearly release with new entries including the following 12 months' worth of content. This means some of this sensitive data could be exposed by hackers.

How well this does will depend on the quality of the game. I love the idea, but so far the videos of the game have me concerned. They look like a basic sandbox, do anything kind of game. Skylanders works not just because of the figures, but the game(s) is also a lot of fun as well. And they took the time to put in a lot of little touches that make it more than just a generic kid's game. The Disney game just screams "generic" right now (I'm hope it will get better). The figures need to behave vastly different and not just different animations for the same moves over and over for each figure.

Another thing is how they appear to be taking what Skylanders did and taking it to the next nickel and dime level. They have level pieces, which would be fine, but it seem every level needs a corresponding piece. Skylanders 1 had Adventure Packs, but they were just add on levels, not a whole game based on them. Skylanders also has "buff" pieces, but Disney appears to have taken that to the next level as well, it will be interesting to see how much they plan on leaning on selling extra pieces and how much game is in the base game before you need to start unlocking.

I think it has potential, but then again I thought that Disney Universe did as well as a LBP2 type game, and that game was a let down.

Parents would do well to keep their children away from this, for their bank account's sake. Also, you want to instill good gaming habits in your children and judging DLC critically is one good habit. DLC is easily abused and should only be purchased at a discount or when it's substantial and fairly priced. This Skylander business model is essentially physical DLC. I would get my children hooked on Steam/Amazon sales instead.

[quote name='tangytangerine']I guess Disney didn't learn from the crap Capcom got about putting the DLC on the disc. Because they're doing it with this.[/QUOTE]

Skylanders did it and it didn't seem to hurt that franchise. It is a little different when there's a toy involved as well. Most casual gamers don't view it the way we do as paying extra to unlock content already on the disc - they see the figures themselves as adding the content.

This seems like a classic example of a very large corporation stealing the idea of a smaller company. I like collecting Skylanders because it allows me, as a game collector, to get into collecting figures as well. The thing that gets me is that they are somehow trying to charge 30% more per figure than Skylanders? I do not care for the apparent quality of the Disney figures, they all look like they are machine made, while I understand Skylanders are all hand-painted (which doesn't always "look" the best, but is definitely more collectible). Disney even wants you to pay 4.99 per "power disc" to upgrade your character. I'm gonna stay away from this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooo I'm looking at these prices for everything now that the game is near and must say I hope the content that comes with these things is worth it as otherwise I predict the game will bomb hard otherwise. I completely understand they are not putting emphasis on playing though a story like Skylanders and are placing the focus on Toy Box Mode where you build environments, play through them with any character, and share your created worlds but still...

So I'm assuming these will all available at launch:

Lone Ranger Play Pack: Lone Ranger, Tonto - $34.99

Cars Play Pack: Lightning McQueen, Holley Shiftwell - $34.99

Side-Kick 3-Pack: Mrs. Incredible, Captain Barbossa, Mike Wazowski - $29.99

Villains 3-Pack: Davy Jones, Randall, Syndrime - $29.96

Individual Infinity figures priced at $12.99 each:

Mike Wazowski

Dash

Mrs. Incredible

Violet

Captain Barbossa

Randall

Syndrome

Mater

Francesco

Power Disc 2-Packs - $4.96

All prices are Amazon.

It looks even more expensive than Skylanders, but I'm hoping there will be better deals than the current reserve the game get a single character and power disc pack free.  As others have said, it will come down the game itself for me.  If it plays well, I'll probably end up getting sucked in to it. 

They announced that Phenius and Agent P are going to be in Wave 2.  There are 4 of each figures out there that were given out during Comic Con.

I haven't seen anything for TRU yet, but Target has some decent deals for launch. Half-off the playsets, 25% off other stuff. I also saw online, there is a TRU exclusive Crystal Lightning McQueen.

I'm hoping to see some reviews before Sunday, but I do like the look of that figure.
Crap if that Crystal McQueen is included in the playsets that might be TRU way out on me price matching the Target $17.49 price.

It's best to try not to get caught up in the "I need it all" mentality.  Get the characters and set that you really want and ignore the rest.

I just got an email that my Disney Lone Ranger pack shipped from Best Buy. Total with tax was $14.06. I got this and another pack (Disney INFINITY Figure Sidekicks 3-Pack) for the same price a few months ago when the pre-order cost was very low.

I just got an email that my Disney Lone Ranger pack shipped from Best Buy. Total with tax was $14.06. I got this and another pack (Disney INFINITY Figure Sidekicks 3-Pack) for the same price a few months ago when the pre-order cost was very low.
Mine both shipped also.

The problem with this game is the freaking blind pack power discs. You need to buy at least 16 packs and then you have to get the 10 tru exclusive packs...

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with this game is the freaking blind pack power discs. You need to buy at least 16 packs and then you have to get the 10 tru exclusive packs...
First batch of TRU disc are all going to include the same exclusive disc for now. They will slowly release the other 9 as time goes by.

From another site. Can't speak to validity:

BREAKING NEWS for Toys R Us: On Sunday, EACH of the gold foil TRU Power Disc packs will contain a Mike's Car Disc, with the other being a random from Series 1. They are part of the BOGO $1 offer. I repeat: EACH pack will have a Mike's Car Disc. This is coming directly from a TRU representative who got an update this morning

bread's done
Back