Persona 4 Arena | $19.99 @ GameStop

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#91 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Picked up a pre-owned copy a while back with a coupon for like $20 on the 360. If I find a PS3 or 360 one still sealed with the soundtrack I guess I should just keep it sealed, right?

For the most part fighting games are like sports games: when they come out with a sequel or update the community loses all interest in the previous versions, the demand falls and so does the price. P4A is developed by Arc Systems so it's probably only a matter of time before we see a revision of this game.

#92 Scenttii

Scenttii

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

I actually decided to cave in and buy this on impulse. While picking up some groceries, I noticed that there was a Gamestop across the street. I went in and ask and the clerk was actually knowledgeable. He looked into finding a sealed copy and gave it to me for 19.99. He asked me if I wanted to preorder anything and I told him I hardly shop here. He said that's cool, didn't pester and rung me up. I was in and out in less than 3 minutes.

The game itself is fantastic! I can't wait until I get a fight stick to go with this. Any one know any decent ones that aren't too expensive?

#93 Yars

Yars

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

The game itself is fantastic! I can't wait until I get a fight stick to go with this. Any one know any decent ones that aren't too expensive?

Hori sticks are ok. They're far from the best, but they are pretty cheap.

#94 Scenttii

Scenttii

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Hori sticks are ok. They're far from the best, but they are pretty cheap.

How responsive are the buttons? I've had a TE stick before but ended up having to let it go.

In terms of the buttons, do they get stuck too often? I'm not totally competitive, I just want something that won't wear away at my thumbs. :lol:

#95 Lemstar

Lemstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

How responsive are the buttons? I've had a TE stick before but ended up having to let it go.

In terms of the buttons, do they get stuck too often? I'm not totally competitive, I just want something that won't wear away at my thumbs. :lol:

Those are ass compared to the Sanwas on a TE.

#96 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Gutted = used. As someone stated before GS employees can check out gutted games and play them. If they have been played before its used regardless of the condition and no one should be paying the full price for game that have been played by others. That is the definition of a used game. we have the right as consumers to refuse GS or why not just price match at BB. GS has been pulling this crap for years but you always have the option to say NO! NO! NO! (end rant)

To keep on topic, this is one of the better fighting games on the market and though it has a persona veneer, the blaz blue blue print is all over this game .

This is the truth. When I worked there, I didn't take games out so that I could still say they were new, and never played. I always said they should make it one gut copy or just inserts for the games, and revert the one copy to used if someone "rented" it from the store. That, of course, fell on deaf ears.

That being said, I still would get a gutted copy if they had it, considering it's a 1 dollar difference(not counting PUR) and the idea that no one probably rented it(at least near me, they all seem like they aren't into RPGs/fighting games that much).

#97 Yars

Yars

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Both Hori sticks I've owned have had problems with the buttons. One occasionally would have a button get stuck and the other had a button that eventually became so sensitive that just the slightest touch would activate it.

I wish I could give you a better suggestion for a cheap stick. Unfortunately with Hori sticks it's pretty much a case of "you get what you paid for." If you're after something better you'll either need to be willing to mod a cheap stick with better parts or be willing to shell out more money for a high end stick.

#98 oasisboy

oasisboy

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Submitted to Amazon for price match., hopefully will be able to get it tax free.

You don't want to pay $1.50 or so in taxes? Damn...
[IMG]http://http://profile.mygamercard.net/conejo%20mexicano[/IMG]

#99 Lemstar

Lemstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

The MadCatz WWE Brawl SEs are pretty good at the $30 price point. Doesn't make them good, but they'll probably suffice.

#100 oasisboy

oasisboy

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

This is the truth. When I worked there, I didn't take games out so that I could still say they were new, and never played. I always said they should make it one gut copy or just inserts for the games, and revert the one copy to used if someone "rented" it from the store. That, of course, fell on deaf ears.

That being said, I still would get a gutted copy if they had it, considering it's a 1 dollar difference(not counting PUR) and the idea that no one probably rented it(at least near me, they all seem like they aren't into RPGs/fighting games that much).

When did you work at GameStop? When I worked there the"take home" policy ended and HR even had a code in their manual for termination due to taking games home. So this should have ended (unless managers are still allowing this)

#101 Solder

Solder

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

If you've played on genuine Sanwa / Seimitsu parts, it's hard to go back. Knock off clones are garbage in comparison.

You get what you pay for. You can find TE's for 90ish bucks frequently.

#102 Banana Peel Assassin

Banana Peel Assassin

RIP Arcade Infinity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

For the most part fighting games are like sports games: when they come out with a sequel or update the community loses all interest in the previous versions, the demand falls and so does the price. P4A is developed by Arc Systems so it's probably only a matter of time before we see a revision of this game.

ArcSys has never released sequels to their "commissioned" fighters. Hokuto no Ken, Sengoku Basra X Cross, and now P4A are all examples. Producer Katsura Hashino has also stated in a Arcadia interview that a sequel or update is "highly unlikely".
- StayFree( ' 3')

My selling thread...full of rare press only merch that you don't really need.

(gaming promos, posters, press kits, developer signed items, etc.)

#103 Solder

Solder

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

ArcSys has never released sequels to their "commissioned" fighters. Hokuto no Ken, Sengoku Basra X Cross, and now P4A are all examples. Producer Katsura Hashino has also stated in a famitsu interview that a sequel or update is "highly unlikely".

Yeah I guess you're just omitting BlazBlue and Guilty Gear huh?

#104 Stele

Stele

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Yeah I guess you're just omitting BlazBlue and Guilty Gear huh?

He did put "commissioned" in quotations in everything, bud.

#105 Yars

Yars

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

ArcSys has never released sequels to their "commissioned" fighters. Hokuto no Ken, Sengoku Basra X Cross, and now P4A are all examples. Producer Katsura Hashino has also stated in a Arcadia interview that a sequel or update is "highly unlikely".

Arc also never brought Hokuto or Sengoku out over here. That changed with P4A. Don't forget that they also made P4A the first region locked PS3 game. The odds of them releasing a sequel/update to one of their commissioned fighters seems trivial in comparison to that news.

As for that producer's comments, he may certainly believe that to be true. But if the money's there then that game will get made with or without him. I've seen so many producers and companies say one thing and then go and do the complete opposite that it's difficult to take anything they say seriously.

#106 Stele

Stele

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Arc also never brought Hokuto or Sengoku out over here. That changed with P4A. Don't forget that they also made P4A the first region locked PS3 game. The odds of them releasing a sequel/update to one of their commissioned fighters seems trivial in comparison to that news.

Technically, Atlus localized and published the game. If anything, Japan market sales, which were good, would be a much more bigger trigger factor for a sequel than anything U.S. market related.

#107 darkvulture

darkvulture

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

When did you work at GameStop? When I worked there the"take home" policy ended and HR even had a code in their manual for termination due to taking games home. So this should have ended (unless managers are still allowing this)

well managers get a free copy of some games and they can still take games home

if they get free copy they can only trade it back in if they don't want it . that's how i got a used farcry 3 with online code working day of release
I HAVE NO PEERS OR EQUALS ONLY ENEMIES AND FOLLOWERS

#108 evophile

evophile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for the heads up OP. Was able to get a sealed version with the soundtrack! In fact when I asked the girl said they just got a shipment of them.

#109 uiengineer

uiengineer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

grabbed one of these today with some of my GS credit. It was still sealed with the sountrack. I was very pleased.

#110 CAG 79

CAG 79

9 Year CAG Member

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Is this a temporary sale or is it the new price?

#111 pinoyunggoy

pinoyunggoy

GO CHARGERS!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

thanks, picked up a sealed copy at my local GS

#112 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

New price, not from a weekly sale AFAIK.

#113 Lemstar

Lemstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Still seems to be full price everywhere else. Probably safer to assume that it's temporary for the time being.

#114 kitsunisan

kitsunisan

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

The MadCatz WWE Brawl SEs are pretty good at the $30 price point. Doesn't make them good, but they'll probably suffice.

This right here. The buttons are Sanwa knockoffs, but they're much better than for original SE sticks. I've got a TvC stick I've pounded on for a while, buttons have held up just fine. You can also get yourself 6 Sanwa buttons for $18 or so.

#115 oasisboy

oasisboy

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

well managers get a free copy of some games and they can still take games home

if they get free copy they can only trade it back in if they don't want it . that's how i got a used farcry 3 with online code working day of release

Totally off topic: I remember that during the managers meeting in Vegas 2010 or 2011??? A couple of managers were caught in the stairs of the hotel getting "busy" and both were fired. The spouse of one of them called corporate to ask why her husband was fired. Shit got realz... True story.

#116 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

found a sealed one w/ soundtrack. weak that its not the ost but free is free. thanks op
my tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...718#post8655718

now playing:

-insert DC icon here- GUNLORD :hot:

#117 Nucking Futs

Nucking Futs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

...The game itself is fantastic! I can't wait until I get a fight stick to go with this. Any one know any decent ones that aren't too expensive?

The WWE Brawlstick others have mentioned are very good for the price ($30 if you're patient). My only prob with this stick is that while the clone Sanwa parts are good, there's no consistency to them. I've bought 4 -5 of them & some where nice & tight while others were loose. Regardless, you can always replace all the main buttons (6 or 8 depending on your preference) for Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons for ~$18 - $24 & another $25 for an actual Sanwa/Seimitsu joystick lever. I've got a ton of arcade parts for sale if you or anyone else is interested here:

http://www.cheapassg...d.php?p=6884300

Your next step (in terms of a quality stick) would be either a Madcatz Fightstick Pro or a Hori Real Arcade Pro V3-SA. Be patient & you'll be able to find them for $90 - $100 (though more so the Madcatz than the Hori). Or look for a used one on eBay for possibly less.

BTW, that tiny ass Hori stick for $32 on Amazon isn't too bad. Just don't expect to mod it easily later on if you're into that. And yes, it's very small LOL!
- Jimmy

Love me some arcade sticks!

#118 brandnew4522

brandnew4522

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Got it new with soundtrack. Thinking I'll finish P4G tonight so this sale/price drop was good timing. Thanks for the heads up op.

Anyone think I should finish P3 before starting it?

#119 TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin

Formerly Graff^

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Got it new with soundtrack. Thinking I'll finish P4G tonight so this sale/price drop was good timing. Thanks for the heads up op.

Anyone think I should finish P3 before starting it?

Yes. There are some pretty big endgame spoilers in it as soon as the P3 people start showing up.

TheSporkWithin.png
Trade List 3DS Friend Code: 0731-4785-9484

#120 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

I was there from 04 - 07 and off and on again for a couple more years. It was one of the big pushes after the merge to let everyone do it, when I worked for a holiday in 09 I think I remember hearing that take home wasn't allowed anymore, but like I said, I didn't do it anyway so it had no effect on me.

Also to all the people talking about it not being sealed, I had no issues getting it price matched at my bb. They didn't even call for availability. And it still had the soundtrack which was nice.