U Draw Gametablet 9.99 @Bestbuy

[quote name='squishface']is it really worth it for that price since it appears that nobody develops for it now?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for the PS3 and 360 versions, you're looking at a grand total of 3 games.

I didn't play Pictionary or Marvel, but the pack in game is pretty lame. I bought it for $10 from TRU a few months ago, played it for about 3 or 4 hours, and ended up selling it on a local classified site for $10. There's really nothing special about the Udraw tablet.

This has been at this price point in my store for weeks now. There have been stacks of them sitting there that no one wanted. I guess they finally lowered the site's price so it's across the board clearance. Personally I wouldn't buy it for any price. What's the point in a "tablet" that you have to look at the TV while you're drawing? To be clear, the tablet doesn't have a screen on it so you're looking away from the device you're physically using. Also I don't want another piece of hardware around the house.

[quote name='squishface']is it really worth it for that price since it appears that nobody develops for it now?[/QUOTE]

It really depends on what you want it for, I guess. The packed in "game" has a decent-enough art program with a lot of different brushes and background textures, some coloring books and color by numbers type stuff. Also a few minigames, including a semi-fun tilt maze game that takes advantage of the gyroscopic controls of the pad. Maybe the most interesting feature is the short drawing lessons that actually do provide real lessons on shadowing and perspective or what not. So, as a tool to mess around with artistically and maybe even pick up a few lessons, it's decent for $10.

If you're looking for a game, you're basically stuck with a multiplayer pictionary game and the single player marvel game (which is fun enough for a clearance game and utilizes the touch controls nicely but probably isn't worth buying a whole peripheral for).

[quote name='Blaster man']This has been at this price point in my store for weeks now. There have been stacks of them sitting there that no one wanted. I guess they finally lowered the site's price so it's across the board clearance. Personally I wouldn't buy it for any price. What's the point in a "tablet" that you have to look at the TV while you're drawing? To be clear, the tablet doesn't have a screen on it so you're looking away from the device you're physically using. Also I don't want another piece of hardware around the house.[/QUOTE]

Just so you're aware, looking up at a screen while your hands are drawing on a tablet below you is how the majority of digital artists still work today. It's incredibly common.

[quote name='Professor Oreo']Just so you're aware, looking up at a screen while your hands are drawing on a tablet below you is how the majority of digital artists still work today. It's incredibly common.[/QUOTE]

Thank god I'm not an artist then. I'm amazed you guys want this thing. For 99.99% of people, it's going to sit there and collect dust. It's not even really collectable and will have no resell value. Surely you can pick up a better $10 game.

There are PC drivers for this now as well, to try and use it as a tablet on the PC. Not sure how good it is, but I'm debating picking one up for my daughter who is very anxious to start doing drawing on the PC.

Insert Nintendo WiiU joke here. ;)

I think my niece and nephew would get a kick out if it though for $10. Even someone here said they played it for 3-4 hours if I played something that long I'd say I got my $ worth.

[quote name='psunami']There are PC drivers for this now as well, to try and use it as a tablet on the PC. Not sure how good it is, but I'm debating picking one up for my daughter who is very anxious to start doing drawing on the PC.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed one last week--after thinking about it for a few weeks--solely to use on a HTPC connected to a large TV. For use with a PC you need the PS3 version. It comes with a bluetooth dongle. The XBox one does not and no hack has been made for it.

(The Wii version can work on a PC with the same drivers that let the Wiimote work on a PC, but those are long out of stock at this price.)

While this won't be as good as a decent entry level tablet, those tend to run in the $70 and up range. This is $10. That's fine for playing around.

[quote name='YBX87']$7.99 is tempting, so i ordered one for instore pickup, have a week to decide if i really wanted it[/QUOTE]

Doing the same, using it for the PC seems like a nice option for using while on the chase (spelling? half couch thing).

Fuuu-, I bit. Grab Pictionary up cheap somewhere, might be a good party game. That, and maybe I'll get some use out of it on the PC.

[quote name='gilby']I grabbed one last week--after thinking about it for a few weeks--solely to use on a HTPC connected to a large TV. For use with a PC you need the PS3 version. It comes with a bluetooth dongle. The XBox one does not and no hack has been made for it.

(The Wii version can work on a PC with the same drivers that let the Wiimote work on a PC, but those are long out of stock at this price.)

While this won't be as good as a decent entry level tablet, those tend to run in the $70 and up range. This is $10. That's fine for playing around.[/QUOTE]

Have you used any other tablets like the Wacoms that you could compare it to?

man, at this price, almost makes me want to pick up 2, one to take out and use and one to keep sealed so years from now I'll have something mint that represents the reason for THQ's demise.

[quote name='token2k6']man, at this price, almost makes me want to pick up 2, one to take out and use and one to keep sealed so years from now I'll have something mint that represents the reason for THQ's demise.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking these still won't be hard to find then either.

^^ LOL, good point!

Yeah, I just got back from BB. Picked up a PS3 version I did In-Store Pick-Up on. And grabbed a 360 version from the shelf. They had about 30 units per each console. The thought crossed my mind that in a month these will be $4.99 easily just for the final liquidation, but I'll be surprised if they even move then. I really want the games to drop to that price point ($4.99) and I'll definitely grab them. However, at $9.99 most places, not gonna buy the game for more than the unit :lol:

I grabbed this for my Nephew when it was 9.99 + 1 free uDraw game at Gamestop (got Marvel for him). It's a solid pick up for a young one. Thus far 9.99+1 free game is the cheapest it's been.

[quote name='token2k6']I really want the games to drop to that price point ($4.99) and I'll definitely grab them. However, at $9.99 most places, not gonna buy the game for more than the unit :lol:[/QUOTE]

Target has/had the Marvel game for ps3 on clearance at that price point. Picked up mine there.

[quote name='Fabrizo']Have you used any other tablets like the Wacoms that you could compare it to?[/QUOTE]

No. I'm only going on comments from others comparing it to other tablets, which was enough to convince me that at full price it wasn't worth grabbing for use on the PC, but that it's likely worth it at $10.

Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat is on sale for $7.99 with free shipping (and no tax in many states) at New Egg if that changes the equation for anyone.

Personally, between Best Buy and New Egg, I picked up the Tablet and both Pictionary and Marvel - hoping for an easy 3000 Achievement Points and more crap to throw in the closet that houses like 25 other stupid accessory husks I barely used (I wonder how dusty than Tony Hawk Ride controller is these days?)...

bread's done
Back