Treadmill Advice

Michael Scott

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
Hello CAG's, I'm interested in purchasing a treadmill for the first time in my life and would like to get some recommendations from the community. I purchased a Fitbit and love that and would like to take the next step in working on my fitness at home.

My only expectation is that it is not over $1,000. Any help is much appreciated!

Have you checked out elliptical machines at all instead of treadmills? They may not work properly with fitbit, but they're much more unique than just a machine that lets you run/walk nowhere. Similar to the whole "why buy an exercise bike and go nowhere when you could buy a real bicycle and enjoy the fresh air" argument. Granted, weather is a big issue, but that's what clothes are for...

LifeSpan has a good price range of models and their customer service is said to be comparable to the high-end brands. You could also look into Landice and True. The only experience I've had with Precor is at hotel fitness centers. During bad weather, I run on a True.

It's best to try out different models in person so you can test them for flex, cushioning, appropriateness for your height/weight, etc. Feel is very important.

If you don't have local dealers where you can test in person, maybe look at local gyms or the YMCA to decide what features you want in a treadmill in order to narrow down your shopping choices.

Congrats on this next step!

Some of the Costco I've been to carry treadmills and elliptical, I think I've seen them at Sams Club too. Just for warranty purposes I would check out those two places to see how long of a return policy/warranty they have.

I was in hhGreg the other day and they have a ton of treadmills and ellipticals, so you may want to check them out if you have a store near you.

IMO, $1,000 is the minimum for a good quality treadmill. Then again, I run about 50 miles/ week and put significant mileage on my treadmill.

I have had PaceMaster ProPlus 2 for about 10 years and only had 1 issue with it. Great machine.
My bro bought the Costco Special and he has had to replace the belt, deck (twice).

Here is good general guide that takes into account some variables.

http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Treadmill-Buyers-guide

you can save some $$ by checking out craigslist (as usual) finding really high quality treadmills for cheaper because people give up and don't want that big piece of equipment in their house. (then the trick is not becoming one of those people)

OP, have you considered just joining a local gym instead? I'm in an area where there are several $10 a month options. This way you can see if you're actually going to stick with this over the next few months, and then decide if you really want to drop $1000 on a treadmill.

I've started running a good bit lately, and I have the means to purchase a good treadmill, but I'm delaying the purchase and looking at joining the gym instead. I can still run outside, but there are many days where running in the temps+wind are brutal.

[quote name='Kerig']Have you checked out elliptical machines at all instead of treadmills?[/QUOTE]

100% concur with this. I've had bad knees since my early teens and an elliptical makes cardio much less painful.

[quote name='mtxbass1']OP, have you considered just joining a local gym instead? I'm in an area where there are several $10 a month options. This way you can see if you're actually going to stick with this over the next few months, and then decide if you really want to drop $1000 on a treadmill.

I've started running a good bit lately, and I have the means to purchase a good treadmill, but I'm delaying the purchase and looking at joining the gym instead. I can still run outside, but there are many days where running in the temps+wind are brutal.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'm in the same boat. I don't think I ever want to just run enough. I had a gym membership and I liked it, but I didn't go often enough. So unless you have a gym across the street, sometimes a piece of equipment is a good idea if you are going to use it.

Right now I am sticking to jogging outside and exercise dvds/games.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']100% concur with this. I've had bad knees since my early teens and an elliptical makes cardio much less painful.[/QUOTE]

I've found ellipticals to be much better on the knees as well and you can get just as a good of a workout with the right ones.

Um no, You won't get as good a workout as running. Aerobic- yes but weight bearing exercises help bone density and impact will help joints repair quicker,

Unless you are 500 lbs

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

I live in a rural area that is 2 hours from the closest place to buy/try treadmills out. I am a teacher and a coach and get home most nights during the week after 7pm so I'm really wanting some equipment in my home to use so I can maximize my home time. Also, it gets really cold and icy during the winter, not to mention is completely dark by the time I get home, and it gets uncomfortably hot in the summer, so again the home option is the best option for my situation. I tried the elliptical out before and am really just wanting a treadmill that I can get a good workout on by walking with a bit of incline. I'm wary of killing my joints by running on it, and have found I can maintain or lose weight by simply getting in a decent number of "steps" each day. If anyone has any other recommendations on treadmills, please feel free to chime in.

[quote name='skiizim']Some of the Costco I've been to carry treadmills and elliptical, I think I've seen them at Sams Club too. Just for warranty purposes I would check out those two places to see how long of a return policy/warranty they have.[/QUOTE]

Yah, agreed. I've been thinking about getting one since we get pretty pissy weather for about 6 months out of the year, along with it getting dark hours before my work day is over. Like to run in the summer, but in the late fall, Winter, Spring, it's just not very reasonable. I have a small bench and free weights, so I'd like to just have my own little garage gym. Was hoping to spend less than $500 for a decent one, but that seems tricky. There are quite a few review sites, but I too would strongly consider going with Costco. Their warranty and returns policy is incredible. Usually a second or third year of warranty.

bread's done
Back