Photo
- - - - -

Ni No Kuni Hardcover Guide Amazon 21.99 ***Price Lowered***

• Please log in to reply
511 replies to this topic

#361 Tiny Gallon

Tiny Gallon

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

There's nothing really in there that says it has to be in stock. It says, "available immediately," but the CS guy said the PRICE has to be available immediately (i.e., not for a promotion that starts next week), not the item.

Best Buy must be handling their online price matching differently (Which ends Jan 31st) and just matching everything regardless.

Because typically:
"We may call the competitor's retail store to verify the lower price and availability of the item." (Best Buy FAQ)

I was there last night for the guide - thought they were going to look at the availability, but I got it price-matched with no problems

#362 Clownfyre

Clownfyre

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

I just called the main Best Buy CS number and asked them if they price-match Amazon. Guy put me on hold for 2 mins, then came back and said they do. I gave him the item, he looked it up on Amazon, found out that their price is $21.99 vs. BB's $39.99. Put me on hold for another 3 mins, came back and said, "Actually we don't price match Amazon any more, that was just for the holiday." I told him the website says it goes until Jan. 31. He put me on hold for 2 mins. Came back and asked me where on the site I found that. I told him, and he put me on hold for 5 mins, then came back and said, "I see that you're right, so we'll honor it for you. So I'm picking it up in about an hour at my local BB for 21.99 plus tax. Not too shabby, and better than waiting 1-3 weeks for Amazon.

I called this morning too and the guy said they don't usually price match Amazon (which is a lie, pm'd lots of times from Amazon) and then he said he'll check with his manager then got the OK to do it for $21.99. I show up an hour later and got it for $13.07 with using my $10 gift card :D

#363 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

very surprised

Amazon sale rank for Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3 game)

PS3 RPG #1
PS3 game overall #2
Overall on any system #3

Looking good to me, and also looking that its been in the top 100 for the pass 55 days, and extremely positive word of mouth, this game looks like it will do pretty good sale wise.

Nice Ni No Kuni game and guide are both Sold out on Amazon, each with a 1-3 weeks shipping window.
Posted Image

#364 dickybeans

dickybeans

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

For those of you already diving into this, I have a 5 year old son that loves all manner of Disney movies and plays video games with me regularly. His faves are the Lego games and the Sly Cooper series but he enjoys watching me play stuff too.

Is this game's story going to be over his head if I play it with him or is this something he could get into? He watched the trailer and seemed pretty excited about it but I'm still on the fence... worst case scenario I'd be playing it by myself which isn't all that bad.

My daughters are 5 & 3 and both love Ghibli films. So far they've both been into the game, with the 5 year old able to play a bit (although I don't trust her during battles) and the 3 year old playing with me using an extra controller. I've convinced her that she is the familiars during battle!

Regardless, the only real concern would probably be the very sad beginning with Oliver's mother dying. The wife and I were a little concerned that part might have been too dark for them, but they do watch some of the Ghibli films so the themes aren't entirely foreign to them.

You'll end up playing by yourself even if your son is able to play. It's just too addicting. My poor XCOM soldiers are currently being neglected.

#365 Clownfyre

Clownfyre

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

For those of you already diving into this, I have a 5 year old son that loves all manner of Disney movies and plays video games with me regularly. His faves are the Lego games and the Sly Cooper series but he enjoys watching me play stuff too.

Is this game's story going to be over his head if I play it with him or is this something he could get into? He watched the trailer and seemed pretty excited about it but I'm still on the fence... worst case scenario I'd be playing it by myself which isn't all that bad.

Thanks; I'll keep that in mind.

If you liked the Anime's Grave of the Fireflies (1988), My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Kiki's Delivery Service (1989), Only Yesterday (1991), Porco Rosso (1992), Pom Poko (1994), Whisper of the Heart (1995), Princess Mononoke (1997), My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999), Spirited Away (2001), The Cat Returns (2002), Howl's Moving Castle (2004), Tales from Earthsea (2006), Ponyo (2008), Arrietty (2010), and From Up on Poppy Hill (2011). Then you'll like this game. It's a very beautiful game. After I played the demo for like 15 mins, I stopped it and went to go pre-order right away lol. It's kind of a mix of Pokemon in a way also.

#366 Zippon

Zippon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hmm...Amazon IS the seller at the $21.99 price, they just don't have stock. They could have denied you based on it being out of stock, but them not being the seller is BS.

Ah. Perhaps Amazon pulled their listing while they were checking, and it fell to another seller. They didn't requote me the $21.99 price, just said they confirmed it was lower and that only marketplace sellers had it.

I have to say, normally on a game like this, I'm the only guy in my town who preorders it. LOL. It's kind of nice to see games and guides and such so hard to find. Both Level-5 and Ghibli deserve the support. They both do good work.

#367 ShadowAssassin

ShadowAssassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

very surprised

Amazon sale rank for Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3 game)

PS3 RPG #1
PS3 game overall #2
Overall on any system #3

Looking good to me, and also looking that its been in the top 100 for the pass 55 days, and extremely positive word of mouth, this game looks like it will do pretty good sale wise.

Nice Ni No Kuni game and guide are both Sold out on Amazon, each with a 1-3 weeks shipping window.

IGN's review ramped up the demand IMO. People underestimate the power of reviews.

#368 Tiny Gallon

Tiny Gallon

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I called this morning too and the guy said they don't usually price match Amazon (which is a lie, pm'd lots of times from Amazon)

Not a lie, it's just YMMV. And Best Buy seems to be cool about it more often than not, from what I usually read on here.

"Does Best Buy match the prices of Internet retailers?
No. Unless Best Buy is running a test or promotion under this Guarantee that allows for Price Matching Internet retailers, we do not match the prices of Internet-only retailers or the website prices of our local retail competitors' stores."

(And yes they ARE currently still running such a promotion until the end of this month.)

#369 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Not a lie, it's just YMMV. And Best Buy seems to be cool about it more often than not, from what I usually read on here.

"Does Best Buy match the prices of Internet retailers?
No. Unless Best Buy is running a test or promotion under this Guarantee that allows for Price Matching Internet retailers, we do not match the prices of Internet-only retailers or the website prices of our local retail competitors' stores."

(And yes they ARE currently still running such a promotion until the end of this month.)

The people at my Best Buy take personal pride in making the price matching experience the single most difficult thing I have ever dealt with in a retail store. It is a battle to the death that they do NOT want to lose. I am never trying it again.

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#370 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Thanks; I'll keep that in mind.

He'll be obsessed with it! It's a playable Studio Ghibli movie with a ton of cute characters and collectible (familiars) pokemon.

#371 TopsideKracker

TopsideKracker

...doomy doomy doomy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

My daughters are 5 & 3 and both love Ghibli films. So far they've both been into the game, with the 5 year old able to play a bit (although I don't trust her during battles) and the 3 year old playing with me using an extra controller. I've convinced her that she is the familiars during battle!

Regardless, the only real concern would probably be the very sad beginning with Oliver's mother dying. The wife and I were a little concerned that part might have been too dark for them, but they do watch some of the Ghibli films so the themes aren't entirely foreign to them.

You'll end up playing by yourself even if your son is able to play. It's just too addicting. My poor XCOM soldiers are currently being neglected.

Thanks. I guess that pretty much seals it.

If you liked the Anime's Grave of the Fireflies (1988), My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Kiki's Delivery Service (1989), Only Yesterday (1991), Porco Rosso (1992), Pom Poko (1994), Whisper of the Heart (1995), Princess Mononoke (1997), My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999), Spirited Away (2001), The Cat Returns (2002), Howl's Moving Castle (2004), Tales from Earthsea (2006), Ponyo (2008), Arrietty (2010), and From Up on Poppy Hill (2011). Then you'll like this game. It's a very beautiful game. After I played the demo for like 15 mins, I stopped it and went to go pre-order right away lol. It's kind of a mix of Pokemon in a way also.

Yeah, I've got no doubt that I would enjoy it. These days I like to keep the boy in mind though. I still have my M-rated games that I save for when everyone's tucked away in bed but as much as he's enjoying games now sometimes its best to just get something we'll both enjoy.

He'll be obsessed with it! It's a playable Studio Ghibli movie with a ton of cute characters and collectible (familiars) pokemon.

lol, he does like collecting... the boy unlocks EVERYTHING.

#372 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

IGN's review ramped up the demand IMO. People underestimate the power of reviews.

Even though I've been looking forward to this game for a while now, even I'll say that this game's critical reception has been much higher than I expected it to be. GT's 9.3 and 9 from Gamespot were both unexpected. GI's 7 was kinda surprising though. I figured they'd give it a better score.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :)

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#373 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

IGN RPG reviews are akin to deaf people reviewing music. It's great that they gave it a good score, but given things that they commonly bash other RPGs for, their 'opinion' isn't very relevant or helpful. This is coming from an RPG aficionado, though. Perhaps to the general gaming public--the people that only know of Final Fantasy, for instance--the view of an outfit like IGN may actually be useful. Who knows.

Edited by Zaku77, 23 January 2013 - 11:39 PM.

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

#374 ChadThyJuggla

ChadThyJuggla

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

I got the guide for $13.07 at Bestbuy where I PM'd Amazon for $21.99. Used 2 $5 gift cards so it brought it down to $13.07. Luckily I did this before Amazon ran out

Was able to do the same thing at my local BestBuy. Got them to PM the $21.99 with no questions asked. And I was able to finally dump $15 worth or certs I had on this. Very good day.

#375 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

lol, he does like collecting... the boy unlocks EVERYTHING.

Don't ever let him find out what DLC is, for any game.

GI gave it a 7? That is insane, they truly are bias, knocking quality RPGs and bumping up generic sequels to big name games. They gave AC3 a 9.5 or so, that's just wrong. Whoops, I try not to argue review scores because it's a dumb thing, but everyone has their opinion, oh well.

#376 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

IGN RPG reviews are akin to deaf people reviewing music. It's great that they gave it a good score, but give things that they commonly bash other RPGs for, they're 'opinion' isn't very relevant or helpful. This is coming from an RPG aficionado, though. Perhaps to the general gaming public--the people that only know of Final Fantasy, for instance--the view of an outfit like IGN may actually be useful. Who knows.

Do you own NNK yet and have you been playing it if so?

#377 diazt350

diazt350

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

My guide shipped today after a day of waiting. I also got the price cheaper so I don't mind the wait now.

Does the guide come with a poster of somesort? I would love to have more ni no kuni stuff.
Posted Image
NNID:deathkwondo35
:3ds:-2964-8582-4635

#378 mkaliaz

mkaliaz

Scurvy Dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Just bought it during my lunch break after reading/watching several rave reviews. Honestly, I had never heard about this game until yesterday so this was a real nice surprise to me. Can't wait to get home and begin the fun!

#379 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Do you own NNK yet and have you been playing it if so?

I do own it--well, it's on its way, at least (Wizard's Edition). I will be starting it as soon as I finish Digital Devil Saga; I'm excited! :D

#380 ElvinWasHere

ElvinWasHere

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Does anyone have a screenshot? Looks like the price went back up or sold out since that price won't show up in Amazon's website. Thanks in advance!

#381 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

I do own it--well, it's on its way, at least (Wizard's Edition). I will be starting it as soon as I finish Digital Devil Saga; I'm excited! :D

You're missing out! I have the wizard edition coming too, I just couldn't wait for it so I got a standard copy too which I'll give a friend when the CE comes in.

#382 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

So uh... Is this book becoming like the first Skyrim hardcover? It seems to be sold out everywhere, everyone is going apeshit over it.

#383 outerfox

outerfox

Allow Ants Peas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Does anyone have a screenshot? Looks like the price went back up or sold out since that price won't show up in Amazon's website. Thanks in advance!

Looks like it's "OOS" now and only available in the Z-shop... sorry.. Marketplace. Hmmm....

#384 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

You're missing out! I have the wizard edition coming too, I just couldn't wait for it so I got a standard copy too which I'll give a friend when the CE comes in.

I have a Gamestop copy sitting here, too--I had to have the steelbook, of course--but I am planning on returning that. I was feeling really impatient and wanted to start it, but the guide isn't here yet, and I'm only about 2/3 through Digital Devil Saga, so I figured I could force myself to wait. haha

#385 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

walmart and barnes and noble still has it available for around $23

#386 sp1cychick3n

sp1cychick3n

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

So, how is the guide? Can anyone give me impressions? I want it mainly for the content, not because it's a collector's item. Thanks in advance.

#387 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

So, how is the guide? Can anyone give me impressions? I want it mainly for the content, not because it's a collector's item. Thanks in advance.

here is a link to pics some1 posted of the guide, http://www.cheapassg...t=336502&page=7

#388 ElvinWasHere

ElvinWasHere

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

walmart and barnes and noble still has it available for around $23

Sweet, thanks. Though it looks like it's sold out at all the Walmart's and Barnes and Noble's near me. I can use the Barnes and Noble screenshot to PM at Best Buy hopefully. Though it would be cool if there was a screen shot of the 21.99 Amazon deal. (I know I know, it's a 2 dollar difference but that's what being a cheap ass gamer is all about amirite?)

#389 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Sweet, thanks. Though it looks like it's sold out at all the Walmart's and Barnes and Noble's near me. I can use the Barnes and Noble screenshot to PM at Best Buy hopefully. Though it would be cool if there was a screen shot of the 21.99 Amazon deal. (I know I know, it's a 2 dollar difference but that's what being a cheap ass gamer is all about amirite?)

I just called a best buy looking for a guide for a friend of mine, they're sold out at every store for over 100mi.

#390 mbrown3

mbrown3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

This is my first game guide of any sort. And, generally speaking, I think it's a bit ridiculous to pay this much for something supplemental to the actual product. I'd expect these things would be $10 or less. $40 is absolutely ridiculous, AFAIC. However, I'm psyched about this game in a way I haven't been in a long time, and since I was able to price match the Amazon price, I figured I'd go for the guide this once. It's a pretty nice product. The art is good, and it's a thick, hefty thing. So at least they're not trying to charge $40 for a flimsy piece of junk. I'll read through it a bit tonight after the wife takes over the TV, but so far it looks pretty good.