Playstation Orbis potential specs revealed by digital foundry

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I want a faster playstation store on ps4. The revamped store is just too slow for me and hard to navigate imo. And hopefully it will be backwards compatible with ps3 games at least considering they probably be using the same optical media (blu rays) for games.

This, I totally hate the new store. I'm hoping that they have all the issues ironed out before PS4 launch... I actually wouldn't mind something completely different, I pretty much hate everything about the new store design.

Personally, Sony NEEDS something similar to Kinect. I haven't used my Move is months simply because having to hold a peripheral isn't ideal. Voice control would also be ideal simply for the sake of matching competitors. Free online would be nice, but if it's rolled into PS+ I'm OK with that as well.

Oh God, please no. I've had Move since launch, It's cool and all, but I hardly ever use it and I've found that I prefer NOT having to use it. I've just gotten a Kinect a couple weeks ago and no, that thing is ass too... Both forms need to die off this generation.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#32 FatBoyInside

FatBoyInside

Money costs too much

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

I am also an advocate of keeping it simple, so NO Move-like bundle, no backward-compatibility, no composite av cables, and one sku. Basically, an affordable, genuine next-gen console.

My Lowball Sale has started.  Limited time only, ends 7/14.  

animePSP2.jpg

#33 JetTone

JetTone

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

This, I totally hate the new store. I'm hoping that they have all the issues ironed out before PS4 launch... I actually wouldn't mind something completely different, I pretty much hate everything about the new store design.

Oh God, please no. I've had Move since launch, It's cool and all, but I hardly ever use it and I've found that I prefer NOT having to use it. I've just gotten a Kinect a couple weeks ago and no, that thing is ass too... Both forms need to die off this generation.

Agree with you on both points. I don't completely hate the new store but it being so slow makes it a pain to navigate. As for Move I have had that since day 1 and used it for about a month or two. My brother has kinect but never uses it and I tried and it's the same nonsense. Get rid of both for next gen.

#34 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

As I said, I do NOT want another Move. I want Kinect 2.0 (but for PS4). Using the Move controller just plain sucked. But the Kinect, while flawed, is a far better implementation of motion controls. Improve the camera/software and I'm interested. This needs to be built/bundled with the PS4 though, none of this extra purchase crap that developers won't support.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#35 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

I might be mistaken here... but wasn't the reason why the 360 had to do software emulation of original Xbox games because the GPUs were made by different companies (Nvidia for Xbox, ATI/AMD for 360)? So there's a possibility that we could run into the same issue here. And based on Sony's stance towards PS2 BC, I don't think we'll get full PS3 BC (if any).

I'm interested to see if Sony uses an A8 (or similar) processor or if it's just a regular 8 core AMD processor. An A8 could make for an interesting choice with regards to power and cost efficiency. They've definitely stuck in a crapload of RAM... and fast RAM too.

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#36 orntar

orntar

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

I might be mistaken here... but wasn't the reason why the 360 had to do software emulation of original Xbox games because the GPUs were made by different companies (Nvidia for Xbox, ATI/AMD for 360)? So there's a possibility that we could run into the same issue here. And based on Sony's stance towards PS2 BC, I don't think we'll get full PS3 BC (if any).

I'm interested to see if Sony uses an A8 (or similar) processor or if it's just a regular 8 core AMD processor. An A8 could make for an interesting choice with regards to power and cost efficiency. They've definitely stuck in a crapload of RAM... and fast RAM too.

Actually, it was the CPU architecture, not GPU. The og xbox used x86, and the 360 is powerPC (mac).

same reason apple and pc software are not mixable.

#37 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

As I said, I do NOT want another Move. I want Kinect 2.0 (but for PS4). Using the Move controller just plain sucked. But the Kinect, while flawed, is a far better implementation of motion controls. Improve the camera/software and I'm interested. This needs to be built/bundled with the PS4 though, none of this extra purchase crap that developers won't support.

I disagree, at least Move usually woks when you want it to. But even then it's still a pain to use and a much prefer using a DS3 in any game over a Move controller(it basically only gets use when my wife wants to play Just Dance). WHEN you can get the Kinect to actually work, it still feels unimpressive and silly. I wouldn't mind having voice commands stick around, but the whole motion controller things have to go.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#38 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

I disagree, at least Move usually woks when you want it to. But even then it's still a pain to use and a much prefer using a DS3 in any game over a Move controller(it basically only gets use when my wife wants to play Just Dance). WHEN you can get the Kinect to actually work, it still feels unimpressive and silly. I wouldn't mind having voice commands stick around, but the whole motion controller things have to go.

Hmm I dunno, I'm more of a PS3 fan than Xbox but I'd agree that Kinect is better and has a much brighter future than Move. I don't really think the tech was there with this gen and they should have both just waited until this next gen (if they insist..).

It's highly annoying on both when you have to sit there and calibrate then recalibrate and even then the accuracy that I'd want just isn't there most of the time.

However I know it's been rumored that Kinect 2.0 has individual finger tracking. If it can get that precise, they can get rid of as much lag as possible, and keep it accurate, I really think it'll be here to stay. Maybe Move will as well but I dont know. It just doesn't seem as future proof to me.

#39 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Hmm I dunno, I'm more of a PS3 fan than Xbox but I'd agree that Kinect is better and has a much brighter future than Move. I don't really think the tech was there with this gen and they should have both just waited until this next gen (if they insist..).

It's highly annoying on both when you have to sit there and calibrate then recalibrate and even then the accuracy that I'd want just isn't there most of the time.

However I know it's been rumored that Kinect 2.0 has individual finger tracking. If it can get that precise, they can get rid of as much lag as possible, and keep it accurate, I really think it'll be here to stay. Maybe Move will as well but I dont know. It just doesn't seem as future proof to me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really like either of them. Neither has been able to grasp me as something I'd like to play around with for more than 10 minutes at a time... But I've not had an issue with Move not working, where as Kinect seems to only work 50% of the time for me. Even though Kinect seems like it'd be something that'd be much harder to make just right than a Move wand, and perhaps with time they might be able to get the right revisions done, I'm still just not interested.

I like my normal controllers with buttons. :bouncy:

#40 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

I like my normal controllers with buttons. :bouncy:

yessir :) Really hoping that both consoles just come with a maybe slightly improved but otherwise just standard controller. Gimmicks just really annoy me since it drives up price and shoves crap down my throat that I never asked for.

#41 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Xbox Durango Specs Leak.