GameStop - 360 Mortal Kombat Klassic Fightstick $29.99 (YMMV)

coopscohen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
I went out of my local area to visit a friend and stopped by the GameStop in that area. Picked up the :360: Mortal Kombat Klassic Fightstick for $29.99. It was tagged with a sale sticker as shown in the picture. YMMV because it still rang up $49.99 and the CSR had to adjust the price but didn't make a fuss about it. I asked if they had a :ps3: or another :360: but this was the last one and maybe the reason it was discounted.

photo3-1.jpg
photo2-1.jpg

Very cool. I thought there was only one stick though. What's the difference with the tournament stick and the fight stick you bought?

I'd bite for 29.99, looks like every GS around me has one but I won't be near one until tomorrow. I'll wait to see if anyone else can verify the 29.99 price.

[quote name='Desousa93']Im tempted to pick it up.. YOLO
But the MK centric buttons kind of ruin it for me.[/QUOTE]

yolo polo

This is more than likely only at that one specific GS. GS never does YMMV sales unless a single store decides to do it. I've seen "open box" accessories for 10% off (why are gutted games not 10% off then...they're in an open box...). If you see the receipt it says the $20 off was for a promotion not found, meaning manual override. I doubt anyone else would be able to get this for $30.

Any games this stick is useful for besides MK? I only have room in the house for 1 stick and I think the SF styled button layout is adaptable to more games.

Own the TE and Klassic but am a sucker for cheapassgood arcade sticks. Will keep an eye out next time I'm in town ...

I guess that GameStop only lives once w/ store specific slashes
Seems like a good deal if it can be reproduced, I reduced my sticks to 2, but I guess I could make space for a different layout stick.

[quote name='JoshTX']Any games this stick is useful for besides MK? I only have room in the house for 1 stick and I think the SF styled button layout is adaptable to more games.[/QUOTE]

This^.

As much as I'd love to grab this stick (especially if injustice uses MK controls), I know I'd get more use out of a SF stick. Watched some reviews and the build looks high quality but I would like to be able to use it for more fighters.

[quote name='Double O Slevin']Odds are someone at GS forgot to take the sale sticker off from a previous sale, and had to honor that price. Kinda sucks, I would've bite for $30.[/QUOTE]

Highly unlikely. I do not recall this ever being on sale for $30. Plus, it is hand written, not a print out like the normal GS price stickers. They also took off the official price sticker and put the hand written one on.

Plus...LOL at Gamestop honoring an expired sale. You sometimes need to argue to get them to honor a current sale.

Picked up a stick and found that it had already been opened. The USB cable is missing from it, so instead of giving me a discount they'll swap it with another one from the warehouse...10 days later.

The usual Gamestop faire.

Odds are it was marked down for the holiday season and they decided to leave it as such, district managers in certain areas were giving store managers permission to mark down the price of stuff that they wanted out of the store. Old accessories and what not that had been there for far to long.

Romeo said:
Very cool. I thought there was only one stick though. What's the difference with the tournament stick and the fight stick you bought?

If you're referring to the PDP (same manufacturer) Tournament Edition (TE) stick (not the Madcatz) then:

- TE has an internal storage area for a couple games & the USB cable
- TE has a clear lexan covering the bottom of the top panel
- TE has E-switches which are inferior to Cherry microswitches
- TE came bundled with MK9 & a couple DLC for both PS3 & 360 although this was sold individually but only for the 360
- Klassic has the better Cherry microswitches
- Klassic has a slightly larger surface area for the top panel
- Klassic has a plaque denoting serial number out of 6k total production
- Klassic has the DLC MK Arcade Kollection (MK 1, 2 & Ultimate MK3) which sells for ~$10 - $15

Desousa93 said:
Im tempted to pick it up.. YOLO
But the MK centric buttons kind of ruin it for me.

JoshTX said:
Any games this stick is useful for besides MK? I only have room in the house for 1 stick and I think the SF styled button layout is adaptable to more games.

Indignate said:
The button placement kind of kills it for me. Good price is you don't mind it though.

IMHO, this is mainly just for MK, MKvDCU & a couple SHMUPS but if you're an old school gamer that played MK in the arcades back in the day then it'll feel natural very quickly. Otherwise, you're better off using a SF/Tekken/Soul Calibur style button layout (4x2).

Multibeaster79 said:
This^.

As much as I'd love to grab this stick (especially if injustice uses MK controls), I know I'd get more use out of a SF stick. Watched some reviews and the build looks high quality but I would like to be able to use it for more fighters.

I'm an arcade joystick collector & to my surprise the build quality, fit & finish is excellent so I highly recommend both versions (TE & Klassic). BTW, as far as I can tell, the developers for Injustice hasn't stated how many buttons the game will use although they just announced the bundled arcade stick already. No info on which components yet but it appears to be a Sanwa bat-top & more than likely Sanwa buttons since I've never heard of a mass stick being made with both Sanwa & Seimitsu components on the same stick. It's going to have illuminated buttons & bat-top (at the base more than likely). Also looks like they're using the Namco Noir (similar to Sega Astro City) button layout.

EDIT: Injustice stick uses Qanba components. Checkout my thread in the tech forum of SRK for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MK stick is nice. I have the stick that came with the Collector's Edition. Very high quality as others have said. Nice velvet padding on the bottom so you can it comfortably in your lap or on table. Only downside is the poor button layout. It has the original MK button setup and the R2 and L2 buttons have some weird placement near the start button that renders them useless even for MK9.

Was on clearance stand at my local new for $40. Decided to pick it up, not sure i want to open it.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back