New $1 PC games at Dollar Tree!

MR_E

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Dollar Tree has stocked some new PC games for $1. I saw these:

Lost: Via Domus
Popcap Greatest Hits (includes Zuma, Bejeweled 2, and Peggle)
Samantha Swift and the Golden Touch
SimCity Societies
The 80's Game (an 80's trivia game)
Poker Superstars Texas Hold 'Em

Some of those are pretty awesome deals for $1... This version of the Samantha Swift game is actually around $24 on amazon.

Samantha Swift is 1.50 to $3 n ebay, ignoring shipping. Decent deals, but arguably really bad games. Just because it's $1 doesn't mean your time is worth nothing.

[quote name='RainFall']Samantha Swift is 1.50 to $3 n ebay, ignoring shipping. Decent deals, but arguably really bad games. Just because it's $1 doesn't mean your time is worth nothing.[/QUOTE]

*shrug* Just one opinion. I was fully expecting the "eww...some of those are casual games" backlash. These threads always get that.

The Popcap games are really good, and I dig stuff like Samantha Swift. Even the 80's trivia game sounds pretty fun for $1. Some people on here are sure to be interested in at least a few of these at $1 a pop new.

[quote name='RainFall']Samantha Swift is 1.50 to $3 n ebay, ignoring shipping. Decent deals, but arguably really bad games. Just because it's $1 doesn't mean your time is worth nothing.[/QUOTE]

Please Rainfall, tell us what games are good. ;)

I can definitely get some of these for my mom, cause she loves them. Thanks OP.

The 80's game is actually pretty fun. It reminds me of "You Don't Know Jack" and is a good game to play with several people. I think it has a few thousand questions so you can play it several times before questions repeat. For $1 it's a pretty good deal for weekend get-togethers.

Lost: Via Domus is pretty meh. They couldn't get the same actors to voice their game selves, so you get people trying to sound like them doing their voices. And it has a weird story about a photographer who is placed in the middle of all the major events, and he's trying to regain his memories which don't tie into the show. I rented it after watching the series and beat it in a few hours; I think they're still trying to open the hatch where Desmond is at the end of the game. It's one of those licensed games that you don't really ever need to play. Definitely go with Samantha Swift over that, because at least Swift doesn't take creative liberties with a preexisting story.

[quote name='MR_E']*shrug* Just one opinion. I was fully expecting the "eww...some of those are casual games" backlash. These threads always get that.

The Popcap games are really good, and I dig stuff like Samantha Swift. Even the 80's trivia game sounds pretty fun for $1. Some people on here are sure to be interested in at least a few of these at $1 a pop new.[/QUOTE]

Casual games... *vomits, then proceeds to brag about beating Dark Souls with one hand in 10 hours*

[quote name='Blade']Lost: Via Domus is pretty meh. They couldn't get the same actors to voice their game selves, so you get people trying to sound like them doing their voices. And it has a weird story about a photographer who is placed in the middle of all the major events, and he's trying to regain his memories which don't tie into the show. I rented it after watching the series and beat it in a few hours; I think they're still trying to open the hatch where Desmond is at the end of the game. It's one of those licensed games that you don't really ever need to play. Definitely go with Samantha Swift over that, because at least Swift doesn't take creative liberties with a preexisting story.[/QUOTE]
I was obsessed with lost but I agree with you. If I wasn't such an achievement whore, the game would have been a waste of time. I wouldn't have finished it either.

...but for a dollar, I will buy it just to have in my collection. Thanks op.

Might see if they have the Popcap games. Peggle is a nice time waster when you don't want to play anything too extreme.

[quote name='HydroX']Might see if they have the Popcap games. Peggle is a nice time waster when you don't want to play anything too extreme.[/QUOTE]

They actually got in a lot of standalone popcap games last summer, including Peggle and Peggle Nights (plus Zuma's Revenge, Bejeweled Twist, and a bunch of hidden object games). Probably unlikely that you'll find much left from that at this point, but you could luck out and find some stragglers from that batch in the bin, too.

FYI, the store near me apparently stocked a couple more titles since I was there. Found these two new ones:
-Mystery PI Hidden Object Collection (includes 3 Popcap Mystery PI games - Lottery Ticket, Vegas Heist, NY Fortune)
-Pure Hidden

Every game has its audience so what doesn't work for some will for others. Getting games for $1 that you can give as a gift for others that you know will enjoy them is a win win cause. The world doesn't begin and end with Call of Duty.

BTW. Popcap collection for $1 is totally a win.

Where in the store do they typically put the games at? Toy aisle? I went to a couple stores in my area and couldn't find any. Perhaps I was looking at the wrong place.

[quote name='dchrisd']Check the electronics aisle and stand alone racks near the front of the store.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. Will try again.

[quote name='Blade']Lost: Via Domus is pretty meh. They couldn't get the same actors to voice their game selves, so you get people trying to sound like them doing their voices. And it has a weird story about a photographer who is placed in the middle of all the major events, and he's trying to regain his memories which don't tie into the show. I rented it after watching the series and beat it in a few hours; I think they're still trying to open the hatch where Desmond is at the end of the game. It's one of those licensed games that you don't really ever need to play. Definitely go with Samantha Swift over that, because at least Swift doesn't take creative liberties with a preexisting story.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I was obsessed with lost but I agree with you. If I wasn't such an achievement whore, the game would have been a waste of time. I wouldn't have finished it either.

...but for a dollar, I will buy it just to have in my collection. Thanks op.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Lost is not a very good game. Ahh, the smoke monster is just plain annoying in it too. I think I rented it just for achievements when my brother and I were kind of competing years ago. I'm pretty sure I got all of the achievements in about 2 hours.
I wouldn't mid getting that 80's trivia and PopCap collection though. I think I'll hit them up tomorrow if I remember. Thanks OP.

[quote name='rawrker']Every game has its audience so what doesn't work for some will for others. Getting games for $1 that you can give as a gift for others that you know will enjoy them is a win win cause. The world doesn't begin and end with Call of Duty.

BTW. Popcap collection for $1 is totally a win.[/QUOTE]

Yup, this.

fyi, the version of The 80's Game that's on sale there includes crapware (installs a browser bar and changes your browser search defaults) that's NOT optional. I went through the install hoping there'd be an opt out/custom option, but no such luck. It's uninstallable, but unless you want to deal with uninstalling crapware and fixing your browser search settings, I'd recommend steering clear of that one.

Samantha Swift is fine, though, as are the Popcap games. It's just the 80's Game that has that junk on it (although I haven't checked out the other Mumbo Jumbo games, so it could be on the other 1 or 2 Mumbo Jumbo titles they had...so proceed with caution). Sucks, too, since I bought an extra copy for my girlfriend, and there's no way I'm going to give it to her with that stuff on it.

Just fyi, they've gotten in some new Popcap hidden object games in the last month or two...  I've seen these at a few stores:

Escape Rosecliff Island

Escape the Emerald Star

Escape Whisper Valley

Amazing Adventures The Forgotten Dynasty

Vacation Quest Hawaiian Islands

Like the other Popcap hidden object games, they're all pretty much the same mechanic/layout with a different coat of paint and some different minigames (some even have a bejeweled clone as an unlockable extra), but they're solid and worth $1 if you're into hidden object/casual stuff or know someone who is.

Dollar Tree has stocked some new PC games for $1. I saw these:

Lost: Via Domus
Popcap Greatest Hits (includes Zuma, Bejeweled 2, and Peggle)
Samantha Swift and the Golden Touch
SimCity Societies
The 80's Game (an 80's trivia game)
Poker Superstars Texas Hold 'Em

Some of those are pretty awesome deals for $1... This version of the Samantha Swift game is actually around $24 on amazon.

The Samantha Swift Game is worth around $5.50 new. Not $24.00 But there be one seller on there selling it for 50 cent + $3.99 Shipping

That Samantha Swift Game goes for $5.50 New on amazon but there is a seller selling it for $0.50 + $3.99 shipping.  I'd say the only value here is the popcap collection.

Just FYI...so nobody goes out of their way looking for things they might not find...this is a resurrected thread from a year ago.  I just updated it with 5 new titles they recently got in (they occasionally get in new pc games or new stock).  Sorry for any confusion.

So you're probably not likely to find Samantha Swift or Popcap Collection (or some of the other older games from the thread).  There's the off chance there are still copies floating around in some stores, but you might not want to bother going out of your way to look for stuff unless you're interested in the newly stocked games.

Every game has its audience so what doesn't work for some will for others. Getting games for $1 that you can give as a gift for others that you know will enjoy them is a win win cause. The world doesn't begin and end with Call of Duty.

BTW. Popcap collection for $1 is totally a win.
yes totally worth 1 buck ill be going to look for that lol

bread's done
Back