- - - - -

Retail-to-Digital Save Compatibility List for Retail Games on PSN

66 replies to this topic

#1 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

This list will track compatibility between the PSN versions (regular and ultimate editions) and the various retail SKUs (regular, collectors, GH, and GOTY), so please pay attention to which versions you can confirm compatibility for. An "easy" way to confirm these without buying them is for PlayStation Plus members to download Full Game Trials to see if they're compatible.

If there is a Collector's Edition or Greatest Hits version that affects save compatibility, please add a spoiler tag to the game's listing noting the issue.

* - Compatible with Regular Edition
* - Not Compatible with Regular Edition

NOTE: If the Bundles/Ultimate Editions of a game offers the base game in that purchase, please delete the Bundle/Ultimate Edition listing to help simplify the list.

We have 36 out of 282 Games confirmed for this list so far. Thanks to everybody for the help.

Edited by FriskyTanuki, 07 December 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#2 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

Feel free to make suggestions for improving the format, as I suspect that there may be a better way of representing the various SKUs that a game can be offered in during its lifetime at retail if that makes a difference in save compatibility.

#3 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

Similar to our 360 install size thread, could we possibly remove the * and instead highlight the entire game title in the appropriate color? It will be bolder/stand out more AND save on character cap :)

EDIT: I would also suggest wikifying the first post so people can post updates as they come across them?
EDIT2: I see now what you mean by multiple SKUs. The *'s may be the best system, disrefard my first comment :)

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#4 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

Similar to our 360 install size thread, could we possibly remove the * and instead highlight the entire game title in the appropriate color? It will be bolder/stand out more AND save on character cap :)

EDIT: I would also suggest wikifying the first post so people can post updates as they come across them?

How would you represent the various SKUs if the name can only be one color?

#5 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated.

#6 Logain8955

Logain8955

Groovy Cactuar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

Do you want to save this for only PS3 games or include Vita games as well?

If you want to roll Vita in, Gravity Rush works just fine for retail to digital.
http://fp.profiles.u...id/jedi8955.png" width="230" height="155" border="0"

Download DevourerTDA, a new competitive Tower Defense map for Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne today!

CAG Thread: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=263655
Download it here! http://wc3.nibbits.c...ourertda-ver-10

#7 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Do you want to save this for only PS3 games or include Vita games as well?

If you want to roll Vita in, Gravity Rush works just fine for retail to digital.

With Vita games, if the game saves to the memory card, which is mentioned on the cover, then it works. PS+ cloud saves helps with the rest, so there's no need for that.

#8 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

Subscribed, thanks!

I literally just asked myself yesterday if I could load up my old Just Cause 2 save file with the digital IGC version so I wouldn't have to dig out the disc.

#9 vherub

vherub

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

What about digital-to-retail? For example the free walking dead episode and then completing on disc. Anyone know if saves are compatible?

#10 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

If it works one way, then it should also work the other way. This thread is basically about confirming whether each game's saves work with whatever is out there.

#11 io

io

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Just confirmed that LBP Karting does not work with the disc-based game save. I'm guessing if the game says "Digital" in the title it will not be compatible? I haven't seen that for PS+ freebies like Bioshock 2, etc. But it is pretty apparent in the LBP Karting download. I wish someone had mentioned that all the times I asked.

Like Ratchet & Clank All 4 One, I think the incompatibility has to do with the disc-based version having an online pass (and thus those games are designated as "digtial" versions whereas full games that are no different from the originals are not). So they hose us once by putting these online passes in, and then screw us over a second time by making the digital versions not compatible with the game save from the disc-based version you bought at release. (Ie, my disc copy that I would like to sell is worth less now since the buyer would need an online pass - and upgrading to digital didn't even provide any convenience for me as I need to replay the game through again just to get back to where I was). Nice.

#12 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Is it really necessary to separate regular and collector's edition? Most of the time the disc are basiclly the same.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#13 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

Is it really necessary to separate regular and collector's edition? Most of the time the disc are basiclly the same.

Yes. I'll use an example with Assassin's Creed II: Deluxe Edition. The bundle for sale on PSN includes a bunch of DLC, so it's a "different" game compile than the disc version, were you'd need to pay for and download the DLC separately. Guessing the same thing is happening with games with online passes, like io just said.

Edit: My guess as to why: Say you get Ratchet and Clank All 4 One free from PS+ service (we did), now you can't play it online unless you have the Online Pass. So it gives you the pass, but then game expires if you let PS+ lapse. Now you have a free Online Pass (since they don't have expiration dates like games/demos do) and can now go buy the game used and not have to pay for the Online Pass. Ya it sucks, but I assume that's why they do it this way, and just give you a different version of the game that bypasses Online Pass/etc.

#14 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

Added Bayonetta, Hitman Trilogy HD, and Zone of the Enders HD Collection to the OP since they're now on PSN.

#15 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Got an EU PS+ trial and MotorStorm Apocalypse doesn't work with my retail save, which is disappointing.

#16 plvl

plvl

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

I have a question, I have burnout paradise greatest hits, and I want to buy a gameshare of burnout paradise with all the dlc, does that mean the dlc will not work, or just the game?

#17 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

This thread is only covering saves, but DLC should work with any version within its own region unless there are different DLC for different versions of the game like Batman: Arkham Asylum and that's a rare thing.

#18 darken

darken

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

First, I interpreted this thread to mean that all that games listed were incompatible with disc game saves, which I thought was asinine. But thankfully after rereading I understood your point.

Back to the topic, I know that Reisdent Evil 5 Gold works with disc saves. Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition also works.

Frisky, thanks for your worrk and effort here and in the PSN thread.-
Posted Image

#19 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

I am mad scientist, it so cool!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Got Spec Ops The Line from Gamefly and really liked it, so when it went on PS+ I thought I'd try for the platinum. Can confirm that retail saves DO NOT work with the digital version. So that was a wasted download, not replaying the game twice, at least not until I finish a lot of other games:cry:
Get chance and luck!

#20 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Updated the OP with the most recently-added games to PSN.

#21 lewchief

lewchief

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

I can confirm Telltale's Walking Dead saves work for either version. I started episode 1 and 2 digital but ended with the disc version.

#22 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

Updated the OP with a couple of the games confirmed here and I'll add a few more potential titles to the list in a few minutes. I'm going to take a leap to confirming a bunch of titles in the OP by grabbing Full Game Trials of some of the retail games I own or have played in the past to see what works and what doesn't. These are the titles I'll be checking out unless people here want to confirm them first:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Midnight Club: Los Angeles
Mirror's Edge
ModNation Racers
MotorStorm Apocalypse (just to double check that it's not EU/US save compatibility issues)
Prince of Persia
Saints Row The Third
Sorcery
Sports Champions
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Uncharted: Among Thieves

I think we'll refrain from putting games on the list that were originally digital that got retail releases later for now until I see enough confirmations on both sides to warrant inclusion of those titles to reconsider.

#23 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'll see if I have any games that have full game trials, and test them out when I get the chance.
Get chance and luck!

#24 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Updated the OP with the most recent games added to PSN.

#25 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

If I can get my PS3 to download stuff, I can try the following:

Alice: Madness Returns
Borderlands
Lego Harry Potter 5-7
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Red Dead Redemption

Will report back what I find. If someone else is going to download any of these, let me know so I don't waste time doubling up.
Get chance and luck!

#26 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

I can confirm that Batman: Arkham Asylum works with a retail save.

#27 xplode427

xplode427

can't buy me love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

Very useful. Thanks.

#28 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

well Borderlands is compatible with my Greatest Hits copy, though I honestly doubt there is any difference between it and the regular one.
Get chance and luck!

#29 LouieT

LouieT

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

Uncharted: Among Thieves

I can confirm that save files from the regular version of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves works with the download version of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves GOTY Edition.

#30 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Midnight Club: LA, Mirror's Edge, and ModNation Racers are all compatible with retail saves.