Dead Space 3 Demo is out!

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 gorgo

gorgo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

And as a big fan of DS1 and DS2, I'm pretty disappointed... played the single player side last night (it also has a co-op side).

The graphics didn't look as good (could be lower res for the demo?), and the outdoor environment just didn't grab me like the last one... DS2 is a favorite of mine.

Any other opinions?

#2 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

I enjoyed the demo a lot, in single player and in co-op. I have faith that 3 is going to be amazing just like 1 and 2 were.

That said, I wasn't wowed by some of the stuff in the demo. Scoring headshots on human soldiers with assault rifles just doesn't feel much like Dead Space. No harm in a little variety, but I hope those kinds of enemies are used sparingly. I'm also not sold on the whole create-your-own-weapons thing, the weapons in 1 and 2 just felt wonderful and were so perfectly balanced, I'm not sure why they'd want to throw a wrench into that. I'll reserve judgment until I play the full game.

In any case, my own feeling is that Dead Space 2, while an amazing and near-perfect game, was a slight step down in some ways from Dead Space 1. So I'm not exactly going in with the expectation that 3 will surpass the previous games, and even if doesn't match up to them, I'm sure it will still be an awesome game in its own right.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#3 Pirate331

Pirate331

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

I'm also not sold on the whole create-your-own-weapons thing, the weapons in 1 and 2 just felt wonderful and were so perfectly balanced, I'm not sure why they'd want to throw a wrench into that. I'll reserve judgment until I play the full game.

Just gonna use the plasma cutter 90% of the time anyway.

I still haven't played the "Severed" DLC from DS2... maybe I should do that before February.
Posted Image
Earn money by filling out mindless surveys!
http://www.cashcrate....php?ref=200970

#4 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Decent demo is decent.

I'm not expecting it to trump the masterpiece that was second game so I doubt Visceral can seriously piss me off here. As with Bioshock Infinite, I am rather disappointed a vastly improved PvP MP didn't make a return though. I'm also tired of developers deliberately giving players access to overpowered shit on lower/normal difficulties in demos like these to babysi- er... entice new mone- er... players. Oh, and I can already tell the crafting mechanic is going to be a royal pain in the ass. Either implemented to unnecessarily break the game, become a mandatory annoyance, or a complete afterthought to lure in people who had no clue the IP existed. Once I run through solo with an upgraded PC I'll have a general idea of what I'm dealing with here, but for now I'm not a fan of excess inventory clutter I can't sell at the moment.

As for co-op? It felt extremely boring. Hopefully as the main game progresses this will change dramatically otherwise I'll gladly rush through all related achievements then happily ignore it.

Eh... so long as they don't kill or write off Ellie right off the bat I'm down. Hell... if the ending is half as epic as the second game that will work for me too. Issac is a bad ass deserving of a great game and found that in DS2. Here's hoping the third will at the very least be a competent send off.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#5 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

I still haven't played the "Severed" DLC from DS2... maybe I should do that before February.

It's excellent. Especially if you played Extraction and are familiar with the characters (Severed continues their story).

Eh... so long as they don't kill or write off Ellie right off the bat I'm down.

What's up with her eye? Did she get a new one? Is the DS3 Ellie some kind of clone or something? Inquiring minds want to know.

#6 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Good question. My guess is Issac paid for an implant otherwise Visceral done goofed. If the writers were smart they'd address this during the initial scene before the crash and separation. It literally would only take seconds and one line of conversation.

Now if the whole
Spoiler
plot twist of the second game didn't happen? Then yeah... I'd be all for Ellie being a vivid figment of his imagination.

Or they could go the ultra generic route and brainwash her into a Unitologist agent. Right now I'm much more interested in what they have done with Carver's Marker dementia. Really hoping the guy isn't just scenery with a gun and a mouth here because I wouldn't be surprised if that meathead replaces Issac as lead in the next game.

#7 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I just hope the script has room for somebody to yell

Spoiler

I noted with disappointment in the demo that spamming the RB did not result in an increasingly unhinged litany of random profanity and screaming from Isaac. I hope they're not trying to make him seem sane or something.

#8 Action!

Action!

King Koopa.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Insane people never seem insane to themselves. I'd love it if while you didn't hear anything, your co-op partner had to mute the TV to avoid your blood curdling screams of fury.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 6/28/14   Child of Light       |      Trade List

Hey, I'm selling prints now. http://society6.com/...nKazimer/prints

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#9 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Insane people never seem insane to themselves. I'd love it if while you didn't hear anything, your co-op partner had to mute the TV to avoid your blood curdling screams of fury.

That's the best idea ever and would completely justify the addition of co-op. :lol:

#10 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

That's the best idea ever and would completely justify the addition of co-op. :lol:

Seriously.

Spoiler

Do want. Now.

#11 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Better yet, enable friendly fire and cause the other player to appear as a necro.

#12 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Compact Rivet Guns are the undisputed weapon of extraordinary gentlemen and Dual Grenade Launchers while completely impractical are hilarious when fully upgraded. This crafting business may not completely suck after all. Now that ammo drops are universal however Line Guns seem more dominate than ever. Dual up, slap a bunch of RoF + DMG and/or Clip + RoF/DMG and go nuts. Hell... the first shot still has enough kick to stop these demo Necros in mid-sprint.

Jesus... Visceral. Who the hell is going to pass up a 12 clip Line Gun in this game, eh? Hopefully it takes quite a while to build up enough resources to build and fully upgrade one of these things otherwise the campaign is going to play itself.

#13 Action!

Action!

King Koopa.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

Hope you're right. That sounds pretty ridiculous.

I'm abstaining from the demo in hopes of going in pure to have my world rocked. Good to hear that things don't sound bad in here though.

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#14 sublime90

sublime90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

the demo felt more lost planet than dead space to me. the weapon thing seemed kind of over whelming i prefer the good old upgrade system by adding more points for extra ammo, power, reload etc. i still need to finish DS2. havent tried the demo co-op not to sure i like that idea either.
Posted Image
I was half cut, im not slippin man i slipped! - Max Payne

#15 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

There is a "Classic Mode" that eliminates the new weapon crafting system and puts back the blueprint/upgrade system from Dead Space 1. However you have to finish the campaign once to unlock it...

#16 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

Who here is planning to get this? Also, anyone looking for a co op partner. I'm looking for one so don't hesitate to add me if you need one. I'm usually available most nights after 8 pm E.T. until like 1am E.T.
gamertag: shotgunshine.

jukeboxtimebomb.png

#17 Mospeada_21

Mospeada_21

Zombie Hunter \\*//

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

I went through both DS1 and DS2 100% on just the plasma (both 1st playthroughs), only to realized
Spoiler
; then I was like WTF! there goes my cheevo! I got over it since the storyline was so awesome!!

There is a "Classic Mode" that eliminates the new weapon crafting system and puts back the blueprint/upgrade system from Dead Space 1. However you have to finish the campaign once to unlock it...

how do you know this?

...and as a 'hardcore' DS fan, I have my reservations about #3.
Now Playing in HD, Progressive Scan, Widescreen, 5.1 DPLII & Dolby Digital, and online or LAN whenever possible.

#18 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

how do you know this?

http://www.eurogamer...with-permadeath

#19 menikmati

menikmati

Isolation, self-damnation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Stoked for Tuesday, I'll be available most of the day so if anyone needs a co-op partner then send me a friend request.

#20 Mospeada_21

Mospeada_21

Zombie Hunter \\*//

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

http://www.eurogamer...with-permadeath

Nice! thanks!!
Now Playing in HD, Progressive Scan, Widescreen, 5.1 DPLII & Dolby Digital, and online or LAN whenever possible.

#21 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

Pretty much. I used the PC almost exclusively in DS2. Doubt that will change in DS3. The launch trailer with the cover of "In the Air Tonight" got me pumped...

#22 dualedge2

dualedge2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

Really? I (and probably most people) used the Force Gun most of the time.

I will be getting DS3 Tuesday and will also be needing a co-op partner.
Fight for the Lost

#23 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

Nobody used the force gun you're lying.
Was all about dat plasma rifle

#24 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

Force gun is a beast.

For my money the best weapons are the plasma cutter and line gun.

I always rolled with plasma cutter/line gun/force gun/pulse rifle.

#25 menikmati

menikmati

Isolation, self-damnation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

Played a couple of hours of DS2 mutiplayer last night (don't really know why I just played the MP), debating whether or not go to to a GameStop of Wal-Mart midnight launch or just wait until my copy shows up from Amazon.

#26 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Nobody used the force gun you're lying.
Was all about dat plasma rifle

:lol:

#27 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Line Gun > Everything Else.

Noobs.

#28 Action!

Action!

King Koopa.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I loved the Force Gun before I swore my allegiance solely to the Plasma Cutter. I'm still interested to see what we've got to work with in DS3 though.

I remember the first night I played DS1 and thought the Ripper was great. I was so young and impressionable.

Edit: You guys checking reviews? I'm gonna be antsy as shit all day. Trying not to read too much.

#29 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'm too busy waiting for UPS to not royally Fuck up delivery of my copy today to care about reviews.

#30 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

That's what's so great about Dead Space's arsenal. It's perfectly tuned and balanced and each weapon has players who swear it's the best.

The reviews I've read have been largely positive if not rapturous, and oddly enough the weapons crafting system has been singled as a really cool and fun element.

I've also read today that none of the "exclusive" weapons DLC from the LE and various retailers are actually exclusive-- they're all buildable in the main game, the DLC just gives you a shortcut.