The Last of Us (PS3) Survival Edition, Post-Pandemic Edition coming May 7th

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#181 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

It's a Gamestop exclusive so BB won't be getting any.

I wanted the Survival Edition, I know the Post Pandemic is GS only.

I thought both were sold out at Gamestop, correct?

#182 Gamer4life88

Gamer4life88

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

I wanted the Survival Edition, I know the Post Pandemic is GS only.

I thought both were sold out at Gamestop, correct?

Nope, just the Post Pandemic Edition is sold out at GS.

#183 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Nope, just the Post Pandemic Edition is sold out at GS.

Oh! Well hooray for misreading then hahah.

I wanted the artbook. If it were included in the PPE version I would be tempted but I would gladly drop $20 on the book.

#184 rbanez

rbanez

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Will it be possible that all PPE preorders will be canceled and not get released at all? Kinda odd (at least to me) that they are not anymore taking PPE preorders when that is still 5 months away from being released. I thought GS wants money...

EDIT: And why does the PPE has no artbook, c'mon man..

What im playing: 
|  :ps3: Dark Souls II :pray:   |  :vita: Spenlunky |

Recently completed:
- Grand Theft Auto V ( Great game, one of the best this gen )
The Last of Us  ( incredible game. gets the "Most honest and appropriate ending ever" award and goty )

#185 snakeinthegrass

snakeinthegrass

CAGiversary!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

More likely that they are figuring out an allocation system and then more will pop up. I'd be real surprised if there was no other opportunity to buy these in the next five months.

#186 sadboy

sadboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

I'm pretty pumped about this game... and I don't even own a PS3!

This. LOL

#187 D.Choy

D.Choy

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

More likely that they are figuring out an allocation system and then more will pop up. I'd be real surprised if there was no other opportunity to buy these in the next five months.

Doubtful. The Loot Chest went OoS in the same amount of time. If anything I bet Triforce said we can probably make XX amount. GS then throws up preorders and if they all get allocated then that's that. I'm sure that if GS didn't sell as many as the estimated allocation than Triforce would lower the amount they produce.

It's basically the same situation with the Loot Chest. Those sold out extremely fast and people wondered why they couldn't allocate more. There are factory limitations and timing issues. It isn't as simple as "oh more people want it, we should continue making them." Businesses need to worry about the liabilities and the costs of these transactions. They need to calculate bad debt and assume some of these preorders won't be sold. In that sense the preorders that people don't pick up are the extra units that can be sold to the general public.

Let's say that Triforce can only make 50,000 statues. If they get that many preorders then I see no reason for them to open more preorders. They probably have already calculated profit margins with an ideal number of statues they look to sell. I am sure they have economists on their financial team that look for the optimum selling point for supply and demand where they can reap the most profits. Even though the game is 5 months away they need to ensure that they can make enough statues before May and that means that they need to allocate the preorders to how many they can make. They also have to factor in costs and labor. If they overproduce then they will run the risk of paying out of their own pockets. With all that being said, no business wants their items to be on clearance. If items end up on clearance it's a loss for the company.

In the case of TL; DR, I don't see it being opened for more preorders.

#188 spicoli420

spicoli420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Doubtful. The Loot Chest went OoS in the same amount of time. If anything I bet Triforce said we can probably make XX amount. GS then throws up preorders and if they all get allocated then that's that. I'm sure that if GS didn't sell as many as the estimated allocation than Triforce would lower the amount they produce.

It's basically the same situation with the Loot Chest. Those sold out extremely fast and people wondered why they couldn't allocate more. There are factory limitations and timing issues. It isn't as simple as "oh more people want it, we should continue making them." Businesses need to worry about the liabilities and the costs of these transactions. They need to calculate bad debt and assume some of these preorders won't be sold. In that sense the preorders that people don't pick up are the extra units that can be sold to the general public.

Let's say that Triforce can only make 50,000 statues. If they get that many preorders then I see no reason for them to open more preorders. They probably have already calculated profit margins with an ideal number of statues they look to sell. I am sure they have economists on their financial team that look for the optimum selling point for supply and demand where they can reap the most profits. Even though the game is 5 months away they need to ensure that they can make enough statues before May and that means that they need to allocate the preorders to how many they can make. They also have to factor in costs and labor. If they overproduce then they will run the risk of paying out of their own pockets. With all that being said, no business wants their items to be on clearance. If items end up on clearance it's a loss for the company.

In the case of TL; DR, I don't see it being opened for more preorders.

Good reply! I would love to know the amount of units planned. How many allowed per location? For those that work at gamestop, is there a way for you to check the amount pre-ordered at your location? With just under 4500 locations in the US, I can't imagine there were a larger amount of these babies. Especially when you factor in how quick the webiste went oos.

#189 guynextshore

guynextshore

Old Fashion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Dang I was a bit late to the party. My local GS said they stopped taking preorders last night - this morning being the cut off.

#190 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Wish I would have gone in store to grab another but at least I got the one online order. I knew about the project triforce site showing The Last Of Us as "coming soon" and thought that they would be selling these statues individually. Apparently not.

#191 Youngnoble

Youngnoble

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

Posted by a naughty dog employee on their forum. If true, that's less then 20,000 printed.

Well I know the production numbers (but obviously I can't share- but they are very low) and there is now way that they could sustain even 5 orders per store (at 4000 stores)

#192 D.Choy

D.Choy

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

Posted by a naughty dog employee on their forum. If true, that's less then 20,000 printed.

Well I know the production numbers (but obviously I can't share- but they are very low) and there is now way that they could sustain even 5 orders per store (at 4000 stores)

Thanks for posting this info. I guess my business degree actually taught me something useful. :P

#193 EdgeCrusher36

EdgeCrusher36

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

If you go by project triforce's website, and look at their other past and current statues and collectables, 200 retail value on this statue is really low. Most of their items go for 350 to 800. And very low production numbers too.

#194 TKSJOHN

TKSJOHN

The Dumpster Diver!

• Silenced

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

I preordered 2!

#195 psihog

psihog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

If you go by project triforce's website, and look at their other past and current statues and collectables, 200 retail value on this statue is really low. Most of their items go for 350 to 800. And very low production numbers too.

$650 Darksiders 2 statue is 32" high, 20lb with LED lights. last of us statue is only 12". I think it's worth the price if quality is as good as rest of their items.

#196 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

I dont understand your post. What was posted by a ND employee? And yeah Arne on gaf also said they're "very limited".

#197 EdgeCrusher36

EdgeCrusher36

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

$650 Darksiders 2 statue is 32" high, 20lb with LED lights. last of us statue is only 12". I think it's worth the price if quality is as good as rest of their items.

Even the mass effect gun replicas are 400 and they are around the same size wise as a 12" tall statue. Just stating that their items are high end shit, no reason to go into number crunch mode bro :D

#198 themidnighter23

themidnighter23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

no interest in the statue. It's nice but I don't even know if this game is good.
where's my whiskey, Im bout to get tore up

#199 Youngnoble

Youngnoble

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:10 AM

I dont understand your post. What was posted by a ND employee? And yeah Arne on gaf also said they're "very limited".

The bottom sentance. This sold out too fast for a new non multi-platform franchise. Many didn't even know about. The print numbers are indeed low. I'm guessing even less then 20,000.

#200 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

Is anyone else surprised that this sold out, even with a run number of 20,000 if true? I just can't see that many people putting down for a statue of 2 plain Jane characters that no one knows about, unless they have an eye toward flipping.

#201 SkiLLs7984

SkiLLs7984

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

Is anyone else surprised that this sold out, even with a run number of 20,000 if true? I just can't see that many people putting down for a statue of 2 plain Jane characters that no one knows about, unless they have an eye toward flipping.

Thats where me and my wife's mind were when this was announced. We were in gamestop twice before this was pulled and just couldn't pull the trigger although we opted for the survival edition for ourselves. Obviously different ppl have different interest in things but the statue itself is of two everyday looking ppl holding guns. Obviously these characters will be amazing in the game and we absolutely can't wait for its release, but the statue just didnt the peak interest as much as day the Songbird edition or the loot chest edition and so forth.

I know the statue is going to be quality and probably be awesome to hold at first but once put next to everything else I feel itll get lost. Heck some may even confuse it for a NRA statue. To each his own though, different strokes for different folks. Although obviously now the availability of said statue will jack up the price for those who feel they have to have it.

#202 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

no interest in the statue. It's nice but I don't even know if this game is good.

If you follow the industry you can make some fairly safe assumptions about the game without honestly knowing much of anything about it, like:

It will be on GOTY lists and probably win GOTY from at least some outlets. If the story is actually good then that some will turn into many. It will get very high reviews, but it will be knocked and bashed by both secretly jealous non PS3 owners, and reviewers who will complain that it's too similar to Uncharted.

Hopefully it's 10 hours plus, because god knows if it isn't it'll be bashed for it's short length as well. If the PS4 is announced before this or we know the PS3 is nearly through it's life cycle there will be references to it as the PS3s "swan song" and again that only helps review scores.

So what could go wrong with this game? Some terrible glitch/bug (not likely), a terrible story or ending like the ME controversy, or a play time of something like 6 hours or less.

#203 AzGoat

AzGoat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

Yeah i would say a good number of them where flippers but for me a steal book it more then enough for me. I would just love to have the game stop edition but i just have no more room in my man cave.

#204 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

Yeah i would say a good number of them where flippers but for me a steal book it more then enough for me. I would just love to have the game stop edition but i just have no more room in my man cave.

I resell and even as a non collector and hater of statues in CE's I don't think I could get rid of the statue for this for under $500 or so. I think I'm going to be pretty torn between keeping and selling it when the time comes. I wish like someone else said there were some decent pics of the statue so I could see if it looks like shit or not.

The bottom sentance. This sold out too fast for a new non multi-platform franchise. Many didn't even know about. The print numbers are indeed low. I'm guessing even less then 20,000.

Ah I see. I thought you were the one saying you knew how many were made :)

#205 ShadowAssassin

ShadowAssassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

Honestly, CE's or CE items can be hit or miss. You never know how people will value them. My formula is always that jRPG CE's will always be worth the most. Because the fan base is more of an OCD niche group that will be willing to pay more, and the items will probably be more limited unlike highly mainstream games like Assassin's Creed. Standard AC games are still stocked years after their original release by major retailers. How often do you see that with jRPGs outside of Final Fantasy?

I don't know if people will care about a statue of a game like this. If they do, the value of the statues will probably be at a premium very early for flippers, but drop off a cliff really quick. Kinda like Skyrim. At this time next year, it'll probably be hard to dump that statue if that is what you are planning to do.

But you never know with really limited items. I tend to hedge my bets on jRPGs and chalk everything else up as a crapshoot.

#206 ImpurePhoen1x

ImpurePhoen1x

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

Kinda sad I missed out on this since I was busy with the craze over Ni No Kuni and the Hyrule Historia LE
Posted Image

#207 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Kinda sad I missed out on this since I was busy with the craze over Ni No Kuni and the Hyrule Historia LE

Well if you got in on those 2 out of 3 aint bad :)

#208 Youngnoble

Youngnoble

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

In terms of rarity I'm going to put this up there with the original Bioshock CE. It shares a lot of similarities, new franchise, available on 1 platform. Being sold by one retailer. Going to be a sleeper hit and the only reason I say sleeper is most who don't frequent forums or aren't hardcore uncharted fans know about it yet.

You can probably replace Bioshock with the first Mass Effect as well.

#209 ShadowAssassin

ShadowAssassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

It'll find a way to be widely know by May IMO. I think Ni no Kuni's sales were greatly impacted by IGN's review and the review came out a week prior so it gained notoriety that fast. If they posted them two weeks later, I guarantee you the game is not sold out on Amazon right now.

But the thing is, ND is excellent so the game will probably be great. Great reviews will mean increased sales. Plus, the zombie craze in our society is at an all-time high right now so I think that will get it recognition too. By May I don't think this will be a sleeper title at all. It's just so many games are on the docket right now so people just aren't focusing on it right now.

#210 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

Agreed with both above posts. I'm hoping in 5-10 years The Last Of Us is remembered like games such as Resident Evil 4 and Bioshock. I'm guessing the only way I'll personally be disappointed with the game is if the story is bad.