Blockbuster B1G1 used DVD and Bluray

mightymek

CAGiversary!
Feedback
210 (100%)
I didn't see this posted, but if anyone happens to still have a Blockbuster nearby, they are doing a B1G1 on used DVDs and Blurays. Sale ends 1/28/13, thanks trailmix10!

The prices aren't outrageous IMO, especially with the sale. Highest I saw was $12.99 for blurays, but there might have been higher ones I just didn't notice.

Pretty good selection, too. I was looking for a cheap Death Race 2 and found it for $6.99 (surprised I actually found what I was looking for.) I paired that with The Town on bluray and walked out with both for $7 plus tax. I saw tons of newer-ish stuff like Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, Ted, American Reunion, Total Recall, etc. for $12.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped by my local store earlier today and i can confirm my bbv has this sale as well. The sale ends the 28TH of Jan. There are plenty of good titles to get at 12.99 and 6.99 prices as well. managed to get
The avengers 12.99
Thats my boy - Free
Total recall 12.99
The dictator- Free

How are the cases? I've seen people buy blus from Blockbuster and the cases were DVD cases with printed out art. Looked awful.

[quote name='Serjitank']How are the cases? I've seen people buy blus from Blockbuster and the cases were DVD cases with printed out art. Looked awful.[/QUOTE]
They look just fine once you take the art out of the case and put it in a replacement blu-ray case.

I was disappointed in my local store today, the manager has clearly stopped trying. I found a case in the blu ray section that had the cover art for the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 4 disc set marked at $17. I went up and asked him if it had all four discs, or was it just the blu rays.

"FOUR DISCS?! No, there's NO way it has FOUR discs, it's just the one."
"Well, it's two movies, so shouldn't it have at least two of them?"
He then slams the other movies I'd brought up on the counter, whips out a knife and cuts open the security tab (a little black sticker seal I've not seen them use before) cranks open the case and says "See? ONE disc."

It was the DVD of Fantasia 2000. :roll:

It's a shame, because I would have liked a cheap copy of Moonrise Kingdom, but after that I had no interest in giving them my money anymore.

Went today and picked up a ton of great blu-ray movies. Also found out that all Oklahoma locations will start the closing process on February 10 and will be closed by the beginning of March. Definitely disappointed because Blockbuster has always had some amazing sales like this one.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']They look just fine once you take the art out of the case and put it in a replacement blu-ray case.

I was disappointed in my local store today, the manager has clearly stopped trying. I found a case in the blu ray section that had the cover art for the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 4 disc set marked at $17. I went up and asked him if it had all four discs, or was it just the blu rays.

"FOUR DISCS?! No, there's NO way it has FOUR discs, it's just the one."
"Well, it's two movies, so shouldn't it have at least two of them?"
He then slams the other movies I'd brought up on the counter, whips out a knife and cuts open the security tab (a little black sticker seal I've not seen them use before) cranks open the case and says "See? ONE disc."

It was the DVD of Fantasia 2000. :roll:

It's a shame, because I would have liked a cheap copy of Moonrise Kingdom, but after that I had no interest in giving them my money anymore.[/QUOTE]

Can you blame him? It has to be the worst place to work. Why bother caring or being nice and friendly and helpful when all that work won't get you not fired. They can't fire you, because they can't replace you, no one wants a job for a week before the store closes.

They should ave started to switch over to becoming a Gamestop and a Radio Shack or Best Buy Mobile in one type of store 15 years ago. For the life of me I don't know why Dish bothered buying them.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Can you blame him? It has to be the worst place to work. Why bother caring or being nice and friendly and helpful when all that work won't get you not fired. They can't fire you, because they can't replace you, no one wants a job for a week before the store closes.

They should ave started to switch over to becoming a Gamestop and a Radio Shack or Best Buy Mobile in one type of store 15 years ago. For the life of me I don't know why Dish bothered buying them.[/QUOTE]

Dish bought them for the liquidation cash, the tax writeoff, the brand name, and the chance to market Dish to all of Blockbuster's customer base. They probably made their money back signing people up for Dish before they did the first wave of closings.

Gamestop will be the next to go as more people start downloading games vs. buying discs and/or the console makers start using codes that prevent reselling games kind of like PC games use.

I grabbed Prometheus, MIB3, Brave, and Lockout for 26. I asked if they had some extra blu-ray cases, and they just gave them to me. I also asked when the sale ended, and they said it ended today.

Picked up DVD copies of Expendables 2 & Amazing Spiderman for $10.xx total - not too shabby!

Also of interest to note - my Blockbuster started offering a "Manager Special - $1 Clearance" table full of single disc DVDs with no cases. Merchandised in a way similar to closing Blockbusters the past 2 years. Maybe they're trying to clear their stock early to make room for more single discs come closing time? :/

My Blockbuster had copies of Brave and even had the bonus discs and original cases but wouldn't part with them because they were "reserves for when/if all the previously viewed copies that were pulled get sold out." They had about 25 cases in their drawer, but oh well.

Picked up Drive, Rampart, Let Me In, and District 9 for $18. Not too bad, and as far as I could tell they all had bonus features on disc.

Looks like the promotion was extended for another week!

FYI fir those looking for cases try dollar tree some stores still have those $1 blurays and come with a nice case.

Glad to hear this has been extended, have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Time for Prometheus & something else.

Went to the only local Blockbuster near here and the selection was meh. All the stuff I would be interested in I already bought on release day.

[quote name='derkduck']So happy I stopped by. Picked up Star Wars episodes I-VI for about 20 bucks :D[/QUOTE]

Me too! Took about 3 different locations, but I was able to complete the set.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Can you blame him? It has to be the worst place to work. Why bother caring or being nice and friendly and helpful when all that work won't get you not fired. They can't fire you, because they can't replace you, no one wants a job for a week before the store closes.

They should ave started to switch over to becoming a Gamestop and a Radio Shack or Best Buy Mobile in one type of store 15 years ago. For the life of me I don't know why Dish bothered buying them.[/QUOTE]
His store isn't closing. He will continue to manage that same store after this round of closings, and will still be accountable for his actions.

Anyway, I decided to stop in after work today to get Moonrise Kingdom. I'm glad I did because they added copies of The Pirates: Band of Misfits to the shelves. I got both movies on blu ray for $13. As for that copy of Fantasia, it was still listed as all four discs and was still on the shelves with the blu rays.

It will be a sad day when bb is no more loved them late 80's until netflix hit big. I had so many good memories and a couple real bad ones haha evil drop box ate my movie in 90's and had to pay for lost vhs... :)

New Egg has a pack of 25 Verbatim Blu-Ray cases for $11.59 and $4.99 shipping if you're not a Shoprunner member. I bought a pack last week and they're fine. I've also bought from sellers on Amazon and eBay with comparable prices in the past. Look for products by Square Deal Recordings and Supplies. They sell single disc cases in packs as small as 5, and also have 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 disc BD cases. I need to pick up a few 2-disc cases actually.

My BD haul at BB was The Sitter, Spider-Man 3, Beetlejuice and Ghost Rider 2 for $20. Since it's been extended I might go back.

I just got off the phone with my local store which is closing and going to stop renting around Feb. 10, close for a day or two then start the final clearance. They said it was extended indefinitely. I don't know if they're doing it until the doors close for good or not, but I think at least another week is a safe bet.

The one near me(KC MO, on 64th and 29) is closing its doors on March 3. They have a sale going now similar to all that's been posted already, with tables of DVD's in paper sleeves for 99cents. All the stuff that has cases is still on the shelves and was priced at $9.99. Each Monday between now and closing time, they are marking all down even further(20% or something each week). Unfortuantely the games aren't included with the sale.

[quote name='4tygames']Me too! Took about 3 different locations, but I was able to complete the set.[/QUOTE]

Jelly! I need Star Wars and Empire, if you guys find extra's, PM me. Picked up Jedi already, man that CGI crap in Jabba's palace is still just beyond ridiculous, good lord. :booty:

Sucked you can't buy just those discs individually or the Raiders series one by one either.

[quote name='destro4eva']Jelly! I need Star Wars and Empire, if you guys find extra's, PM me. Picked up Jedi already, man that CGI crap in Jabba's palace is still just beyond ridiculous, good lord. :booty:

Sucked you can't buy just those discs individually or the Raiders series one by one either.[/QUOTE]

I was 8 years old in 1997 when the re-releases started coming out. I had been watching the Star Wars trilogy over and over and over since I was a couple months old.

Even at 8 years old, my reaction to that scene was something like "What the heck was the point of that?" It seemed like they were just desperately trying to find something they could add.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I was 8 years old in 1997 when the re-releases started coming out. I had been watching the Star Wars trilogy over and over and over since I was a couple months old.

Even at 8 years old, my reaction to that scene was something like "What the heck was the point of that?" It seemed like they were just desperately trying to find something they could add.[/QUOTE]

Now that Disney's driving the Star Wars cashmobile, I'm almost 99% sure they'll release the original theatrical versions of all the films on Bluray at some point. More than likely when we're closer to seeing Episode VII in theaters.

Well I stopped in today and picked up Men In Black 3 and Hunger Games for myself, then I found Kung Fu Panda 1 and Kung Fu Panda 2 which i bought for my son, for his birthday. Total cost was 18 dollars even since they didnt ring up buy 1 get 1 even though signs were up so he did a credit and since he did the credit took tax off. Not a bad deal at all

Well, like with U&S, went a little crazy:

$12.99

Avengers, The

$9.99

21 Jump Street
Artist, The
Battle for Terra
Bernie
Contagion
Descendants, The
Drive
Haywire
Ides of March, The
Mirror Mirror
Santa Paws 1 & 2 (DVD versions, and a gift)
Scott Pilgrim Versus the World
Rampart
Red Cliff Parts 1 & 2
Road, The
True Grit (John Wayne version)

$6.99

A Scanner Darkly
Body of Lies
Burn After Reading
Conan the Barbarian
Eagle, The
Girl Who Played With Fire, The
Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, The
Gran Torino
Grey, The
International, The
Juno
Law Abiding Citizen
Let Me In
Persepolis
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Puss in Boots
Salt
Stone
Time Traveler's Wife, The
Up in the Air
Uninvited, The
Seven Pounds
Spirit, The
Star Trek
Wolfman, The

$4.99

District 9

90% of the above had flawless cover art and included bonus features on the disc. The ones I know were rental exclusives were Conan (no features) and the Time Traveler's Wife (marked rental). Of the above, was able to get about 16 pristine blu-ray cases by asking nicely.

Edit: $216.10 for 46 movies = $4.70/movie. I need help.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Now that Disney's driving the Star Wars cashmobile, I'm almost 99% sure they'll release the original theatrical versions of all the films on Bluray at some point. More than likely when we're closer to seeing Episode VII in theaters.[/QUOTE]

I believe/hope/pray/dream the same thing. I still like many parts of the special editions. I'd just like to have the option of watching the theatrical. I would probably switch off between the two on viewings. Like I would watch theatrical, then special, then theatrical, and so on.

Furthermore, I'm a huge cheap ass extreme couponing motherfucker, but I would drop at least another $49.99 on the theatrical bluray trilogy. I'd drop another $99.99 on the 3D bluray trilogies because I like dumb 3d shyte. :)

Disney makes the best blurays in my opinion (Criterion is good too). But I have faith Disney would make it work the price for a double dip or triple dip.

As another poster said, Fox owns the rights to Episodes I-VI, so Disney would need to buy them out. I do believe they now own the various TV shows though.

bread's done
Back