FFXIV: A Realm Reborn - $39.99 (PS3) [Amazon Pre-Order]

For what it's worth they did make a lot of pretty good changes. Granted i never played XIV when it was "terrible", but i think the games foundation is pretty solid. I think they should of changed the number to XV, because i am pretty sure the stigma from XIV is still there.

If the beta's good, I'll buy it. I loved XI and wished I had joined sooner while it was more active

Still kind of mad how they handled Legendary Players though, its not like any of us PS3 players had a chance to become one

I was pretty sure it was 15$ for any new member, 10$ for anyone who played the original XIV for longer than a certain amount of time

I'm guessing the pricing on that page isn't for the PS3 version, as it says those prices aren't for version 2.0. I don't seen any info on the version 2.0 pricing, but my guess would be $15/month based on Squeenix's hubris.

[quote name='lilseung']I heard that both ps3 and pc players can play together in this game. Can anyone confirm?[/QUOTE]

Sure they can, in FFXI, PS2, Xbox 360 and PC all played together.

[quote name='lilseung']I heard that both ps3 and pc players can play together in this game. Can anyone confirm?[/QUOTE]

Yes, PC and PS3 players will be able to play together once FFXIV: A Realm Reborn is officially released.

A monthly fee doesn't mean a game is going to bomb. For a little more than a movie ticket, you get a month of game time. I know some people are cheap here but my god...

A game bombs because the content is garbage. FFXI is the most successful Final Fantasy of all time monetarily speaking thanks to the monthly subs and I played that for 5 years lol.

[quote name='roundhouse']Wow games are still trying to push monthly fees? This is going to bomb badly.[/QUOTE]

FFXI's still charging Sub fees, and it's over 10 years old. WoW is the other obvious example.

People are still willing to pay for a good MMO -- problem is, companies usually only go one way or the other ("It's so different no one will buy it, so lets make it F2P or Pay once, play forever!" or "Well, we'll do a half-assed copy of WoW and charge a sub and make MILLIONS!!!")

I can say that FFXIV strikes a great balance between WoW clone while making just enough things different to make it it's own (and yes, it -feels- like a Final Fantasy).

I really do hope it doesn't bomb, but mainly because Yoshi-P, the lead developer, seems to be the only guy inside Square-Enix that understands how great Final Fantasy used to be and is trying his damnedest to replicate that.

[quote name='TheFirst109']A monthly fee doesn't mean a game is going to bomb. For a little more than a movie ticket, you get a month of game time. I know some people are cheap here but my god...

A game bombs because the content is garbage. FFXI is the most successful Final Fantasy of all time monetarily speaking thanks to the monthly subs and I played that for 5 years lol.[/QUOTE]

This.

I'm really looking forward to it myself. Actually signed up for the beta with 3 accounts lol (If I manage to get in more than once I'll give the others to friends).

Legacy status members monthly fee is $10, it's a thank you for those who stuck around when it changed from F2P to P2P before closure of 1.0. I already pre-ordered it on PS3 even though I have it on PC. I figured I'd like to stay in bed and level in front of a huge TV. :applause:

I see what you guys are saying, but even PC MMOs have gone away from the monthly sub profit model. It's not a viable structure anymore, unless you are already established and have a huge existing player base such as WoW. It will be an even tougher sell to PS3 gamers. I don't see this ending well.

[quote name='roundhouse']I see what you guys are saying, but even PC MMOs have gone away from the monthly sub profit model. It's not a viable structure anymore, unless you are already established and have a huge existing player base such as WoW. It will be an even tougher sell to PS3 gamers. I don't see this ending well.[/QUOTE]

People said this when FFXI came out on the PS2. Square-Enix is the only company releasing a PS2 game this year and it's an expansion to FFXI.

They'll pay if the content is good and the price is right for the content.

FYI for people who don't know, you get a better chance of getting into PS3 FFXIV ARR beta with FFXIII Square-Enix members code.

[quote name='endofaera']FYI for people who don't know, you get a better chance of getting into PS3 FFXIV ARR beta with FFXIII Square-Enix members code.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if they accepted XIII-2 ones either

[quote name='plutoknight']People said this when FFXI came out on the PS2. Square-Enix is the only company releasing a PS2 game this year and it's an expansion to FFXI.

They'll pay if the content is good and the price is right for the content.[/QUOTE]

And if not people won't pay and will stop playing even if it's F2P. If SE makes a fun MMO they'll have addicts for another ten years. If not people will stop playing after the 30 days and continue playing FFXI and talk about how bad FFXIV and go back to working on their mythics.

Charging a monthly fee at this point is bullshit, especially when the game was so goddamn broken that they had to completely scrap it and start over again. My wife and her family have played FFXI since launch but she recently decided to give up the monthly fee...POOF goes her character despite almost a decade of monthly payments. fuck that, and fuck this game if they keep it up. You're playing Squeenix a monthly fee to play with their action figures.

Ffxi is a sub because it came out 10 years ago and it can sustain itself on it niche market. WoW wAs an anomaly that will never ever happen again. Unless SE is Ok with a niche market it will probably go f2p or b2p within the year assuming they care about ps3 players but considering FFXI on ps2, I doubt it.

At best Se wants to make back it initially investment b4 going b2p or f2p.

[quote name='silver001']Ffxi is a sub because it came out 10 years ago and it can sustain itself on it niche market. WoW wAs an anomaly that will never ever happen again. Unless SE is Ok with a niche market it will probably go f2p or b2p within the year assuming they care about ps3 players but considering FFXI on ps2, I doubt it.

At best Se wants to make back it initially investment b4 going b2p or f2p.[/QUOTE]

DQX is pay to play and that's doing just fine.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']Charging a monthly fee at this point is bullshit, especially when the game was so goddamn broken that they had to completely scrap it and start over again. My wife and her family have played FFXI since launch but she recently decided to give up the monthly fee...POOF goes her character despite almost a decade of monthly payments. fuck that, and fuck this game if they keep it up. You're playing Squeenix a monthly fee to play with their action figures.[/QUOTE]

You do realize you don't lose your character if you stop paying your sub right? People go back to ffxi after years of not playing and the characters are still there. It's the same with WoW too.

I wish it was f2p but im kinda glad its not like those other mmo(i hope im right) where to be superior you have to buy in game content w/ real $. (consumables, power ups, weapons, etc)

[quote name='deadkode']DQX is pay to play and that's doing just fine.[/QUOTE]

Too early to tell if the population hangs around, and technically they have a hybrid system in place already where you don't have to pay beyond initial purchase if you play specifically during the free two hours a day that everyone has access to.

I was in the alpha and it was pretty good. It was like wow but with a Final Fantasy twist. If you like how wow plays and have been slightly interested in FFXI or XIV but the games were not up to par, you will prob like this.

It doesn't matter if it's F2P or Monthly...they both end uip using money...in most cases, F2P = I hate because people who pay have advantages. I rather have people have advantage by playing the game, not paying for the item.

it's just more fun for me that way.

[quote name='deadkode']DQX is pay to play and that's doing just fine.[/QUOTE]

DQ series is extremely popular in Japan and the keyword is Japan. Just to add, how do YOU know it's fine? Do you have some insider info or you just pulling it from your ass?

finally, Japan=/=west.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']Charging a monthly fee at this point is bullshit, especially when the game was so goddamn broken that they had to completely scrap it and start over again. My wife and her family have played FFXI since launch but she recently decided to give up the monthly fee...POOF goes her character despite almost a decade of monthly payments. fuck that, and fuck this game if they keep it up. You're playing Squeenix a monthly fee to play with their action figures.[/QUOTE]

This x100. 15 dollars a month is nothing, but the fact is that you can pay 1800 dollars by subscribing for 10 years and pour your virtual blood, sweat and tears into the game and nothing of the game is yours.

I think it's fair to charge a monthly fee for an MMO, but $15 is too high. They could easily lower it by half and still have a significant profit.

XIV was broken at launch. Lot of it was fixed about just a year and a half ago.

ARR is taking that to the extreme and is most likely going to be an even better game.

/Still have my FFXIV installation on my PC so I can carry over my character into the new benchmarks/character creator :3

As far as sub fees, if you were a veteran by a certain point you get ARR sub fee's cut by 33% and you only have to pay 9.99$.

FFXI still requires subs and is doing fine. ARR will too probably. I'd rather pay 15$ a month for a game that is well maintained than one that isn't. FFXIV while it was FTP has a LOT of updates

I played XI since launch and the game really died out a year ago when I quit. There wasn't many people on and a lot of people werent really willing to do anything.

I know its getting an expansion but it seems to be creating very little buzz. Im not really sure how much longer that game can keep going.

If XIV actually does very well, they will likely pull the plug on XI soon and offer something to them those players to move over to XIV

I love how people that are ignorant of MMOs are going "Pay to play!? Woooooaaoaoaoaoaoaah! Teh Call of dutyz is free!!!111".

Seriously, though, a lot of MMOs are pay to play, and a hell of a lot more of them started that way. If they can keep their subscriber numbers up by putting out good content and keeping this thing running smoothly, then it's going to do just fine as a P2P. If not, then it will make the transition to F2P like many other MMOs do; it's just how these things work. They should be starting a game like this as P2P. It would be foolish of them not to. Also, the no fee for plus members idea is hilarious. Why would Square Enix waive the fee because people pay Sony for a glorified rental service? lol

$29.99 (PC) and $39.99 (PS3) are MSRP for this game. I've had this pre-ordered since it was XIV on PS3 with the $10 credit, so I'm getting a pretty good deal for the PS3 version, should I decide to get it (I play on PC).

[quote name='Deader2818']
If XIV actually does very well, they will likely pull the plug on XI soon and offer something to them those players to move over to XIV[/QUOTE]

They'll never pull the plug on FFXI as long as it makes money. I just quit FFXI again this past month and it's as healthy as it will be. Yes the population is declining but people come and go and the diehards will always stay there continuing to do VW and Legion. Hell I was one of those naysayers who thought the game was dying when I quit back in 06/07 and thought it would've been dead by now. The game will always be dying but there will always be people who will play it just like the EQ diehards that are still keeping that game going. And with FFXI and the expansion coming out they'll be going back to camping 24 hr and 1 week pop HNMs and probably a new super weapon for each job which will takes years to make again.

I do hope FFXIV is better and has a sustained population since when I played mid last year it was a dead game with nobody around and nobody talking. I know a bunch of my old FFXI friends were looking forward to FFXIV only to be disappointed and now we're all hopeful this will be better but have our doubts.

+1 for the shocking lack of "shout" chat in general for FFXIV ver. 1... whatever it was last year.

[quote name='TheFirst109']You do realize you don't lose your character if you stop paying your sub right? People go back to ffxi after years of not playing and the characters are still there. It's the same with WoW too.[/QUOTE]

According to PlayOnline your account vanishes after a few months of nonactivity.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']According to PlayOnline your account vanishes after a few months of nonactivity.[/QUOTE]

While that is what they said on the website, my friends and I were all able to get our character back after more than 1 yr of inactivity. We did have to call them to "revive" our characters tho.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']According to PlayOnline your account vanishes after a few months of nonactivity.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='flamerhino']While that is what they said on the website, my friends and I were all able to get our character back after more than 1 yr of inactivity. We did have to call them to "revive" our characters tho.[/QUOTE]

To shed a little bit more light, though I'm still probably uninformed. But Square-Enix basically scrapped PlayOnline since it failed, and they made everyone transfer their accounts over to Square-Enix members website, which handles both MMOs and some other stuff? Didn't do the transfer? Lost it all probably.

So I'm guessing the people that lost tried to come back after PlayOnline was done with, and people that kept came back while PlayOnline was still going.

As for FF14 coming to PS3, I'm still in shock at how FF14 was dealt with. SE won't let anything FF die for honor reasons. They are sinking even more millions into a relaunch of a product that lost them millions and millions. And, imo, will fail due to word of mouth of it's predecessor. Has any MMO ever relaunched as type 2.0 with such drastic changes?

bread's done
Back