eBay rant for sellers | It's not new if it is opened

GBAstar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
WTF would you be listing an opened game in the "new" category?

I don't often buy online (via eBay) but I've been looking for a few things. I set my search guidelines as "NEW" with the price range I'm okay with paying.

I find that a large percentage of the games in the "NEW" category are anything but. What is worse are the sellers that use a stock photo, put the game in the new category and have a brief description of "Only played once, basically new".

I just purchased an item and in the section where you can add a note on your PayPal payment I put "Excited to have purchased this item, please make sure it arrives as described (i.e. New/Sealed)"

Then I get a response: "The game I just mailed is new but it is not sealed. Their was a problem with the sensormatic at Walmart and it kept going off so they made me open the game before I left. I promise the game is as good as new"

Really? I told the seller not to mail the item and cancel the purchase. They told me it was too late they already mailed it and if I wanted to return it I'd have to pay return shipping.

^ I find this funny because they would have had to check the payment invoice and saw my note to respond to me in the first place so how the hell do you disregard that and mail it to me.

I sell on eBay so I'm very sympathetic to other sellers but this "Grinds me gears (reference to other thread)".

We see a lot of "eBay buyers suck" threads on CAG but with some of the things lately I'm starting to wonder if a lot of the problems are just caused by sellers being idiots.

I sometimes see idiotic sellers list cart and disc only games as new.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "brand new, only used once, FOR SELL." I guess if GameStop sells opened, new games, then some eBay sellers assume it's OK with everyone.

I think that for some categories eBay now has a "New (Other)" option. Not sure if it's available for Video Games, but it's there for Electronics. Helps filter out those opened-but-new items.

Yeah I sell on ebay and if I did something shady like that I'd deserve a negative, and if I bought from some jackass like this they'd receive a negative. This isn't Gamestop.

New only means one thing. That's why there is a "like new" option when listing. There's also the box to describe in detail anything else that may be wrong with it.

Edit: Honestly though I've missed those notes buyers leave a couple times. I'm not sure how but I've done it. Luckily I only sell shit as described and so what they were saying/asking about didn't make a difference.

While I'd love to side with you 100%, if his item description read "Only played once, basically new" then why would you expect a new item if the other part of the listing stated "new/sealed"? That's like a 50/50 chance you're getting an open item. While not in this case, it is possible for sellers to accidentally list the item as sealed when it's not, and vice versa.

Both of you were in the wrong, but if you asked him not to ship it and cancel the purchase within a reasonable time, then he's in the wrong. Although I must commend him on the prompt shipping.. some sellers take their sweet ass time.

[quote name='HydroX']While I'd love to side with you 100%, if his item description read "Only played once, basically new" then why would you expect a new item if the other part of the listing stated "new/sealed"? That's like a 50/50 chance you're getting an open item. While not in this case, it is possible for sellers to accidentally list the item as sealed when it's not, and vice versa.

Both of you were in the wrong, but if you asked him not to ship it and cancel the purchase within a reasonable time, then he's in the wrong. Although I must commend him on the prompt shipping.. some sellers take their sweet ass time.[/QUOTE]

That's not what their description said. That's what they seller messaged me through eBay messages after they shipped the item which is frustrating in itself because they would have had to check the payment and have seen my message before the created the label and certainly before they messaged me. The description actually read:

"Up for bid is the higly anticipated, highly acclaimed Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 For Playstation 3. This game is brad new. Never played. Bid with confidence! Contact my inbox for any buy it now offer you may have! Thank you and happy bidding!"

Are you saying I should have contacted them prior to purchase a new game to see if it was infact new and sealed?

Please keep in mind they used a stock photo

[quote name='GBAstar']That's not what their description said. That's what they seller messaged me through eBay messages after they shipped the item which is frustrating in itself because they would have had to check the payment and have seen my message before the created the label and certainly before they messaged me. The description actually read:

"Up for bid is the higly anticipated, highly acclaimed Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 For Playstation 3. This game is brad new. Never played. Bid with confidence! Contact my inbox for any buy it now offer you may have! Thank you and happy bidding!"

Are you saying I should have contacted them prior to purchase a new game to see if it was infact new and sealed?

Please keep in mind they used a stock photo[/QUOTE]

No, I misread your original post (ie. skimmed it, my bad) and assumed the seller posted the "Only played once, etc" stuff.

Yeah, you are right to assume it's new/sealed, but if you deal with idiot sellers a lot, maybe you (and myself included) should started messaging these people just to make sure things are 100% accurate.

You know what they say when you assume..... ;)

[quote name='HydroX']No, I misread your original post (ie. skimmed it, my bad) and assumed the seller posted the "Only played once, etc" stuff.

Yeah, you are right to assume it's new/sealed, but if you deal with idiot sellers a lot, maybe you (and myself included) should started messaging these people just to make sure things are 100% accurate.

You know what they say when you assume..... ;)[/QUOTE]

I know. I do that sometimes with games I think might be "Not for Resale" like GOW Saga, Twisted Metal (basically any of the games bundled with CE's or Controllers) but I really had no reason to expect this to be open.

I'm just more disappointed that they shipped the game anyways despite me leaving a note with my payment and then they acted like I was inconveniencing them by stating I would return it.

I had a buyer leave me a note about his "new address" being a PO Box, when I normally don't ship to PO Boxes. I shipped it to the PayPal confirmed address anyway, and it was rerouted to him, but I never even noticed the "note to seller" until well after already shipping it. I fully expected some angry messages and to get screwed on the item, but the item arrived to him without any hassle (thankfully).

On a side note, even if I saw his address change note, I would have shipped the item to the confirmed address or cancelled the transaction, as the buyer's address should always be up to date. ;)

Moral of that little story is that sellers may not always see the note prior to shipping. In your case, he likely saw it and ignored it, but there's a chance it can be missed.

Sadly, the "Like New" option doesn't appear for all categories. A lot of them simply say "New" or "Used." This gets annoying when you have an opened product that has barely been touched.

To go with OP's complaints, I hate how eBay added new condition guidelines but doesn't enforce them. According to eBay, for anything that's missing ANY of it's original contents (case, manual, or any extras for special editions), you're supposed to list the item was "acceptable". So a mint condition cart only game still needs to be acceptable... not "like new".

And I also hate that eBay doesn't have a good system to report inaccurate conditions. Their "select from one of these options" reporting system is just their way of doing less work.

I used to buy a lot of blu-rays on eBay before the whole splitting up the movie really started getting big, I always hated it when they would list as as "new."

i don't run into this problem on ebay. I've noticed people advertise their games as new but are not sealed but very rarely.. I see this more commonly on craigslist lol

Anyways you should give him a negative for being a POS!

OP, you should definitely either make the seller give you money to send the game back, or just negative him and open a dispute with PayPal/eBay. I'm 95% sure they're going to side with you, especially when you bring up their condition guideline standards. The message exchange between you too also gives the seller almost no ground to stand on. So then you'll get a free game and the seller will have a lesson learned.

I've found that when it comes to video games, it's basically a free for all on the pre-set conditions (New/Like New/Used/Very Good/etc). I've found myself messaging sellers who don't list what the actual condition and completeness is like in their description area so I don't waste my time bidding or buying with them. If someone wants to play the "Only played once so its still NEW game" that's fine, but they better clearly list that in their item description area. Anything less than sealed is not new (and I don't care how GameStop sells "new" games - IMO GameStop games aren't new once they're gutted and subject to damage through mishandling or employee rental. Which is why I just don't do business with GameStop anymore).

[quote name='Vinny']To go with OP's complaints, I hate how eBay added new condition guidelines but doesn't enforce them. According to eBay, for anything that's missing ANY of it's original contents (case, manual, or any extras for special editions), you're supposed to list the item was "acceptable". So a mint condition cart only game still needs to be acceptable... not "like new".

And I also hate that eBay doesn't have a good system to report inaccurate conditions. Their "select from one of these options" reporting system is just their way of doing less work.[/QUOTE]

I've always wondered about this, I sell on ebay and even if the disc is mint and has a mint case, but no manual, I list is as acceptable but explain in my description. Is this the right way? I see alot of disc only stuff with like new, good , etc. I was almost tempted to start doing that because I figured once someone sees acceptable they automatically think its in crap shape, but I thought it says if it doesn't have a maunual to list as acceptable. Any help???

Yeah anything that has been used obviously isn't new. I hate when sellers do that, bunch of BS.

I've had some games for 360 where I removed the shrinkwrap, but not the security label on the side and put it on my shelf. If I don't open the security seal and sell the game I list it as new without shrinkwrap. If I play a game once and it's mint then that's like new.

[quote name='lude21']I've always wondered about this, I sell on ebay and even if the disc is mint and has a mint case, but no manual, I list is as acceptable but explain in my description. Is this the right way? I see alot of disc only stuff with like new, good , etc. I was almost tempted to start doing that because I figured once someone sees acceptable they automatically think its in crap shape, but I thought it says if it doesn't have a maunual to list as acceptable. Any help???[/QUOTE]

You're doing it the right way but as you noticed, yeah, you're at a disadvantage because so many people don't bother following the rules. You might as well do what others are doing... no point it getting yourself screwed.

[quote name='Vinny']You're doing it the right way but as you noticed, yeah, you're at a disadvantage because so many people don't bother following the rules. You might as well do what others are doing... no point it getting yourself screwed.[/QUOTE]

Ok cool, I thought I was but was second guessing myself because most other people are doing it the wrong way. I think I'm just gonna stick to how I am doing it now, since its the "right" way. I take pride in my ebay and how I run it. People probably freak cuz 9 times out of ten, I print a label right after they pay and send it out the next day. Although I'm at a small scale, so I can see it getting crazy once I start selling more.

[quote name='Vinny']You're doing it the right way but as you noticed, yeah, you're at a disadvantage because so many people don't bother following the rules. You might as well do what others are doing... no point it getting yourself screwed.[/QUOTE]

That's what I had to do once. I had like a cart-only DS game. Listed it as Acceptable and followed the rules. It wouldn't sell after a couple of weeks. Listed it as "Good" with all of the same details in the description about it being cart only and it sold.

[quote name='lude21']I've always wondered about this, I sell on ebay and even if the disc is mint and has a mint case, but no manual, I list is as acceptable but explain in my description. Is this the right way? I see alot of disc only stuff with like new, good , etc. I was almost tempted to start doing that because I figured once someone sees acceptable they automatically think its in crap shape, but I thought it says if it doesn't have a maunual to list as acceptable. Any help???[/QUOTE]

well i never click on the acceptable category.. I always assume is pure garbage. I suggest stuff like that you list it as Like New and just make sure to say that it does not include the manual.

[quote name='Barney']well i never click on the acceptable category.. I always assume is pure garbage. I suggest stuff like that you list it as Like New and just make sure to say that it does not include the manual.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, ya well, that's what I was planning on doing, but with my luck I figured I'd get a dude who says " you listed as like new and it has no manual!!! , I want a refund!!" And of course they don't bother to read the description. So your saying its ok to list a mint disc as very good -like new but explain in my description it does not include a manual, etc., and I wouldn't be liable?
I just assumed it was wrong because it says anything without a manual should be listed as acceptable...

And btw change your search criteria to include acceptable!! Your missing alot of my acceptable stuff that's really in great shape!! Lol

Per eBay, anything like-new needs to include everything that it originally came with and no markings, bends or cracks.

If your listing something as like-new but it's missing the manual you really shouldn't list it as "like-new," if you do you might get hit with a snad. It's ultimately up to you how you want to sell your items but you never know how the person on the other end may react.

I always get pissed at things being labeled like new that fucking AREN'T!!!!! lol

Cart only -- like new

Missing manual -- like new

Scratch free disc, but the rest is shitty -- like new

My dog just shat on it -- like new

Off and out!

All disc-only stuff I sell the highest I put it as is "Very Good." I only do "Acceptable" if a product still works perfectly but looks like crap.

[quote name='kodave']OP, you should definitely either make the seller give you money to send the game back, or just negative him and open a dispute with PayPal/eBay. I'm 95% sure they're going to side with you, especially when you bring up their condition guideline standards. The message exchange between you too also gives the seller almost no ground to stand on. So then you'll get a free game and the seller will have a lesson learned.
[/QUOTE]

If it was confirmed as delivered, you would still have to return the game no matter what.

[quote name='edson13']If it was confirmed as delivered, you would still have to return the game no matter what.[/QUOTE]

Not true.

I once won an auction for a "Like New" DS game. Arrives cart only with shit written on the sticker. It was confirmed delivered through the tracking. I emailed the seller about it inquiring about a return/refund and the seller basically responds telling me to get over it, it's just a video game and I shouldn't care what condition it is in as long as it plays. I believe there was a curse word or two in their message as well. I file a PayPal/eBay complaint seeing how dealing with the seller isn't going to get me anywhere. Seller then messages me that they'll gladly take the game back and refund me. I don't do anything. PayPal sides with me shortly after. I got to keep the cart only game and got my money back.

They seem to frown upon sellers who deliberately pull shit then stupidly admit to it or behave badly, as opposed to something that might otherwise just be a difference in opinion as to the quality of something. A seller ignoring OP's instructions to cancel the transaction if the game isn't truly sealed/new as advertised, those instructions being ignored, and the seller essentially fabricating the item's actual condition are all going to benefit OP. The only way he might HAVE to return the game is if the seller fronts him the money for the return or says in writing he will refund the return shipping costs. eBay seems to rarely enforce their protocol that returns are the buyer's responsibility.

I'm willing to bet OP could keep the game and get his money back, and either the seller will take the hit or PayPal/eBay will just say no one was at fault and take the hit themselves.

[quote name='GBAstar']WTF would you be listing an opened game in the "new" category?

I don't often buy online (via eBay) but I've been looking for a few things. I set my search guidelines as "NEW" with the price range I'm okay with paying.

I find that a large percentage of the games in the "NEW" category are anything but. What is worse are the sellers that use a stock photo, put the game in the new category and have a brief description of "Only played once, basically new".

I just purchased an item and in the section where you can add a note on your PayPal payment I put "Excited to have purchased this item, please make sure it arrives as described (i.e. New/Sealed)"

Then I get a response: "The game I just mailed is new but it is not sealed. Their was a problem with the sensormatic at Walmart and it kept going off so they made me open the game before I left. I promise the game is as good as new"

Really? I told the seller not to mail the item and cancel the purchase. They told me it was too late they already mailed it and if I wanted to return it I'd have to pay return shipping.

^ I find this funny because they would have had to check the payment invoice and saw my note to respond to me in the first place so how the hell do you disregard that and mail it to me.

I sell on eBay so I'm very sympathetic to other sellers but this "Grinds me gears (reference to other thread)".

We see a lot of "eBay buyers suck" threads on CAG but with some of the things lately I'm starting to wonder if a lot of the problems are just caused by sellers being idiots.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I don't see the notes that buyers leave with their payment.....your not forced to look at it if you see they paid and just sign in and print the shipping label.....at least I don't think so....I missed one then started always looking for it....

Anyway, I hate this as a SELLER. Because I've sold a lot of AWESOME condition games missing boxes or manuals, and always list them as "Acceptable" (because you need a box/manual imo to be anything higher). Buyers always ask me if the games work because they are listed as acceptable, and I always feel like people dishonestly listing opened games, or games without box/manual as anything higher lowers the values of my honest listing...

[quote name='DNukem170']Sadly, the "Like New" option doesn't appear for all categories. A lot of them simply say "New" or "Used." This gets annoying when you have an opened product that has barely been touched.[/QUOTE]

It does for video games. New, Like New, Very Good, Good, Acceptable are the options.

Also, I dont really find it annoying as a seller. You simply describe your item in detail.

If it's an open box then it is not and shouldn't be sold as "new" imo. You list it as used and put in the description something like "like new, box was opened but never used or removed from box". Sure you're going to get less views but I've never once had an issue selling anything because of it. Of course I usually do BIN only so either an item sells for what I say or it doesn't sell. It always eventually sells for the price I set. I could see if it were an auction it might effect it more.

[quote name='ShockandAww']It does for video games. New, Like New, Very Good, Good, Acceptable are the options.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention if you open something it STILL isn't new....it's used. Same idea with driving a car off the lot.

I experience this a lot because I always buy video games, open them to read the manual and then sell them without ever playing them, but I would never dream of saying they are new even if my only options were new or used.

I'd like to know how opening the game in Walmart solved the sensormatic issue? Maybe I'm ignorant but I'm pretty sure unsealing the game would make no difference. They should have just verified the receipt and let the customer move along.

[quote name='Vinny']To go with OP's complaints, I hate how eBay added new condition guidelines but doesn't enforce them. According to eBay, for anything that's missing ANY of it's original contents (case, manual, or any extras for special editions), you're supposed to list the item was "acceptable". So a mint condition cart only game still needs to be acceptable... not "like new".

And I also hate that eBay doesn't have a good system to report inaccurate conditions. Their "select from one of these options" reporting system is just their way of doing less work.[/QUOTE]
Man, don't *****, they let buyers get away with whatever they want the way it is anyway.

I also don't like the restriction on Ebay for selling games, that if you are missing one component (case / box or manual) that you automatically get shafted into the Acceptable category. However, keep in mind that all condition categories state very clearly to 'See the seller's listing for full details.' This is a double edge sword that you can use to your advantage and should be cautious of.

To your advantage, if you have a cart only game that is in great shape, feel free to put it into the very good / good category instead, just accurately describe (and take pictures) of the product and what it's lacking. A buyer can't get on your case for buying a category 'Very Good' cart only game, when even Ebay states to see the seller's listing for full details. As a precaution I will list items as Acceptable if they are missing any components, though I do my best to take good pictures and have a reasonable price to sell them eventually.

To your disadvantage, be very mindful of any seller who posts Brand New / Like New items with little or no description (postings from Ebay mobile with no additional description). I bought a new sealed game from a seller who had no descriptions on the item, and while the game I received was sealed, there was a significant puncture in the seal that went all the way to the cover art. In this case I was able to resell it back on Ebay (with the appropriate description of the problem in my listing), netting a few bucks profit in the process.

It really is a crapshoot dealing with some sellers, but if you have any question on the item integrity (lack of proper description, seller has low FB rating, price too good to be true), then drop them a line before bidding. This doesn't help you out much OP, but hopefully this won't happen again to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuff like this makes me as angry as people on Amazon listing blu/dvd combo packs as "Like New", and then in the description lists that only the dvd portion is included, and it will be shipped in a sleeve, or blank generic case. Sellers do it on eBay too, but not as rampant as Amazon as of yet.

Anytime I list a game without the original case or manual I always list as acceptable which I agree with others can hurt the views a listing gets because of other sellers listing games in the same condition as like new, very good or good. Knowing how EBay sides with the buyer though. I don't want to cause a buyer to open a dispute. Part of the time I get a feedback from the buyer saying better condition than described which makes me think I probably could get away with Listing the item other than acceptable but like I said earlier, I don't want to deal with any problems that could have been avoided.

if gamestop can sell open games as new can they with systems too

The thing is I agree fully with the OP and everyone else but theres two sides, currently I've sold a bunch of Halo 4's on ebay, but besides being opened for 5 seconds before being placed in the mailer, they ARE new, I list MULTIPLE times, in the subtitle even, Opened but never played, Because they are the versions with the fotus DLC in them that sells alone for $100. Never had a SINGLE complaint. But I do agree if you TOUCH the disc's, or play it once it's used, but if it has never been USED then it's hard to categorize. theres no New 'other'. But while I beleive some people are justified as listing it new when it's not shrinkwrapped, listing an xbox new, ONLY PLAYED A COUPLE WEEKS, thats drawing the line...

I don't even open them until it's sold, then it's literally seconds between taking off the shrinkwrap, and being sealed in the mailer.

[quote name='Hemi']The thing is I agree fully with the OP and everyone else but theres two sides, currently I've sold a bunch of Halo 4's on ebay, but besides being opened for 5 seconds before being placed in the mailer, they ARE new, I list MULTIPLE times, in the subtitle even, Opened but never played, Because they are the versions with the fotus DLC in them that sells alone for $100. Never had a SINGLE complaint. But I do agree if you TOUCH the disc's, or play it once it's used, but if it has never been USED then it's hard to categorize. theres no New 'other'. But while I beleive some people are justified as listing it new when it's not shrinkwrapped, listing an xbox new, ONLY PLAYED A COUPLE WEEKS, thats drawing the line...

I don't even open them until it's sold, then it's literally seconds between taking off the shrinkwrap, and being sealed in the mailer.[/QUOTE]

Technically I would list it as "Like-New" but if you are very clear in your description and title and list actual photos I don't think it's a big deal. I clearly was deceived as I had no reason to believe the game had been opened and while it isn't the end of the world if people in my situation stopped caring then it would become even more acceptable then it already is.

But back to your situation, I've received games with damaged cases from Amazon and Newegg or games that had most of the shrink wrap and I've listed them as new but I'll put something like:

ex: New! Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Playstation 3) *DAMAGED CASE* in my title

then I'll put a reference to the case being damaged at the start of my description and take a picture of the damaged case.

it hilarious, but if the buyer is ok with a NEW open item then that is fine..

And if someone took out a code for a SEALED product and tried to sell me it as Brand New, I would definitely without hesitation leave negative feedback and demand my money back. New means exactly new, everything that came inside sealed and not used.. If you breath on the disc or its had been expose to the air in your house, I do not consider that new..

LoL at opened by not played with... How would anyone know of that was the truth or not

Seriously don't list open stuff as new. If its open but never used then its like new, this shouldn't even be a debatable topic honestly.

I've never bought/sold anything that you wear so I recently found out what "new without tags" means. Sellers use it as lightly used. Should just list it as used.

I list disc only as acceptable amd if a game is missing manual the highest I'll list it is good. I'd note it in the description.

I've bought games on Amazon from those huge sellers. I think it was EZ w/e. Anyways games were listed as like new but they are were missing manuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always look at the sellers feedback prior to making a purchase. I look for any negative feedback and also their "Item as described" rating.

A buyer apparently can get on your case for a single scratch on the case since the description for a like new video game says that it has to have no scratches on the case at all. Despite the fact that its almost impossible to deliver an opened game that does not have any scratches on the case because sometimes scratches happen even when the game is still in shrinkwrap. But apparently its also OK to list a game with shrinkwrap still on it that has scratches under the shrinkwrap as new. Now I have to make sure I note scratches on the case for pretty much all video games...

Ebay's' condition descriptions for video games are really out of line but if I want to sell there I have to take my precautions.

I had this happen to me once, the buyer did not take it to paypal though and now I wouldn't list any game in any other condition other than Good or lower. If the buyer wants to ask questions about the condition then they can do that.

I see so many games listed incorrectly, and there is no way to report this apparently. I see people listing opened games as new all the time.

Saw this on Half.com:

6f6ums.png

bread's done
Back