Ebay: Pay when it ships now available

Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I know this isn't a specific game deal, but I felt this was the most appropriate forum for this. I am constantly seeing people asking the same question in tons of threads on this site when it comes to various online retailers: "Am I charged when the item ships or immediately?" Naturally we all tend to prefer to be charged when the item ships, just in case anything goes wrong. Nobody wants to be charged, then have an order cancelled, and have to deal with phone calls and emails to get refunded.

For ebay, for obvious reasons, it's always been standard to pay when you win an auction or order a BIN item. Only after you pay does the seller then ship you the item. This has always been fine. However, I was doing a little ebay shopping and happen to see this option on the paypal checkout screen:

Pay After It Ships

hdr_00186_title.gif
hdr_00186_intro.gif
PayPal pays the seller immediately but doesn't deduct the funds from your account until 14 days later. We'll even send you a reminder email 4 days before we deduct anything so there are no surprises.
There's no cost to you. And because the money is deducted from your bank account, there's no credit check and no credit card fees.
hdr_00186_14days.gif
Most items are received within 14 days. If you don't receive an item within 14 days of ordering it, don't worry! When you pay with PayPal, your purchases are still covered by PayPal Purchase Protection, so you have our standard 45-day protection.
To have Pay After Delivery as an option for your future purchases just go back and click YES.

Terms and Conditions for Pay After Delivery Extended Coverage

The Pay After Delivery ("PAD") payment option allows qualifying buyers to purchase eligible items and wait up to 14 days to pay for them. The PAD payment option is only available for eligible purchases under $10,000.00 and is not available to all buyers. In order to use PAD, qualifying buyers must have a valid checking or other qualifying account at a bank which is linked to their PayPal account and identified as their primary bank account from which funding transfers may be withdrawn; if there is no valid linked bank account then PAD will not be available, even if the qualifying buyer has used PAD before. Where a buyer and item purchased are eligible for PAD, which shall be determined in PayPal's sole discretion, buyer may choose the PAD payment option at the time of purchase. Although PayPal will not impose a fee for a buyer's use of PAD, it is possible a third party, such as the financial institution holding the primary bank account, may impose a fee in connection with the payment or purchase, in addition to the amount of the transaction.
If buyer selects PAD as the payment method:

- The entire transaction amount will be funded from the buyer's primary bank account linked to buyer's PayPal account, even if the buyer has a balance in their PayPal account, except where there are insufficient available funds in the primary bank account. Buyer authorizes PayPal to submit the debit to buyer's primary bank account for the amount of the transaction, and resubmit it again if the initial debit is rejected or insufficient. In the event there are insufficient available funds in buyer's primary bank account, buyer authorizes PayPal to fund the remaining amount of the transaction from any of the following sources: buyer's PayPal account, credit card, or debit card. For each payment using PAD, buyer authorizes PayPal to debit the primary bank account for the full amount of the payment 14 days after the transaction date, or sooner in accordance with buyer's instructions. PayPal will send buyer by email a reminder before the scheduled debit.

- Where buyer has qualified for and initiated a PAD transaction, PAD will be identified as buyer's preferred payment method for future eligible transactions; however, buyer may change their preferred payment method at any time for future transactions. Buyer will still need to select the PAD payment option for each qualifying payment at the time of the transaction. Buyer may select a different payment method for future transactions and change their payment method at the time the buyer makes the payment.

- Buyer's PayPal Purchase Protection rights described in Section 13 of the User Agreement will apply to a purchase using a PAD payment option, except a buyer using PAD must file a dispute within 45 days from the date of the purchase. If buyer has a problem with their purchase buyer must follow the procedures described in Section 13 of the PayPal User Agreement. If buyer files a dispute within 14 days of making the purchase with PAD, PayPal will debit the primary bank account after the resolution process is complete and only if buyer loses. Buyer authorizes PayPal to debit their primary bank account for the full amount of the payment if buyer loses a PayPal Buyer Protection claim.

PayPal has the right, at any time and in its sole discretion, to terminate, cancel, suspend or modify the PAD payment option, qualifications or eligibility for PAD, or any buyer's ability to use PAD.

It's not exactly the same as being charged directly when the item ships, but it is the closest ebay has to offer. Also, this option is only available for linked bank accounts, not linked credit/debit card or paypal credit. Still, it certainly looks handy. This is my first time using this option so if it ends up a pain in the ass i'll be sure to let everyone know. For now though, i'd thought i'd pass this info along.

Just so people know, if you ever have to submit a claim for something that goes wrong with the purchase, PayPal always sides with the person they have the least chance of recovering money from. Out of ~30 or so claims I have had to file over the years I have only lost one as a buyer and that was when I used my checking account to pay. If you pay by credit card you can always issue a chargeback via your CC company. PayPal knows this. Always pay by credit card if you can.

So from the seller perspective, the cash receipts will come in whenever the buyer submits payment like usual. The only difference is from the buyer side: whereas the buyer doesn't have the funds deducted until 14 days later? So Paypal floats the cash from the buyer perspective is how I see it.

I really hate dealing with Paypal, but I just have to use it for some places and ebay....paypal is one of the worst credit card processor's I have and will deal with.

The way they handle credit refunds are stupid and I agree with Sonny on how to use Paypal, use your CC and not your bankaccount because with CC, you can dispute if the item didn't arrive as describe if you can prove it...paypal, not really.

example:

I bought a PSP, the seller described it as NEW but it was used even though it came clean...

how did I know? well, for 1) the tape that closes the factory default was ripped and 2) the cord didn't have a twisty tie

i disputed with Paypal, they basically said nope, you don't get your money back

i then disputed my card to my card-issuing bank, I got my money back, almost hassle free.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='emperordahc']My brother has been looking for this game! In for 2! Thanks, OP![/QUOTE]

I'm sorry your mommy doesn't trust you to shop online, but some of us like to be informed.

Paypal are going to save so much in credit card fees if this takes off. I doubt the savings will get passed onto sellers. I wouldn't use a service like this as a buyer though. First, I would lose out on any cashback incentives. Second, I don't trust Paypal to do the right thing and having a second option is better than only one.

[quote name='djricekcn']I really hate dealing with Paypal, but I just have to use it for some places and ebay....paypal is one of the worst credit card processor's I have and will deal with.

The way they handle credies refunds are stupid and I agree with Sony on how to use Paypal, use your CC and not your bankaccount because with CC, you can dispute if the item didn't arrive as describe if you can prove it...paypal, not really.

example:

I bought a PSP, the seller described it as NEW but it was used even though it came clean...

how did I know? well, for 1) the tape that closes the factory default was ripped and 2) the cord didn't have a twisty tie

i disputed with Paypal, they basically said nope, you don't get your money back

i then disputed my card to my card-issuing bank, I got my money back, almost hassle free.[/QUOTE]

Did you send the item back? If you do this enough times PayPal will just close your account. I try to be cautious especially on eBay to avoid any unnecessary headaches.

[quote name='Desousa93']I'm sorry your mommy doesn't trust you to shop online, but some of us like to be informed.[/QUOTE]

"Dorothy Mantooth is a saint! You understand me? Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!"

Yes, I sent the item back. I don't cheap-shoot stuff...besides, that was one of the requirements to not get a counter-charge back. if the guy counter chargeback it would've been for the reason he did not get item back. sent the item back with confirmation---paid by the seller per Chargeback rules. doesn't matter what what he says on ebay if he says seller must pay for shipment back....the transaction was for what was supposed to be promised, per MasterCard regulation, if item not received as described, the merchant (in this case, the seller) is responsible for all fees.

As someone who sells on Ebay I'm not sure how I feel about this. They wouldn't be able to do it more than a few times, but without having to cough up the funds themselves whats to stop someone from bidding on an auction with no intention to pay for it, receiving the item because the seller sent it since they got paid, and then claiming it was never sent? I mean, they could do this anyway, but now they don't even have to have the money out of their account for even a minute (or even have the money to make the purchase in the first place).

The real reason I don't see this working is the inevitable amount of people who buy something, forget they haven't actually paid for it and then 2 weeks later don't have enough money in the bank account/credit card to pay Paypal.

[quote name='sonnyforple']Just so people know, if you ever have to submit a claim for something that goes wrong with the purchase, PayPal always sides with the person they have the least chance of recovering money from. Out of ~30 or so claims I have had to file over the years I have only lost one as a buyer and that was when I used my checking account to pay. If you pay by credit card you can always issue a chargeback via your CC company. PayPal knows this. Always pay by credit card if you can.[/QUOTE]

This people is a person you definitely do not want to deal with... Either he buys from alot of bad sellers or he is basically someone who scams

[quote name='BudzMcGee']As someone who sells on Ebay I'm not sure how I feel about this. They wouldn't be able to do it more than a few times, but without having to cough up the funds themselves whats to stop someone from bidding on an auction with no intention to pay for it, receiving the item because the seller sent it since they got paid, and then claiming it was never sent? I mean, they could do this anyway, but now they don't even have to have the money out of their account for even a minute (or even have the money to make the purchase in the first place).

The real reason I don't see this working is the inevitable amount of people who buy something, forget they haven't actually paid for it and then 2 weeks later don't have enough money in the bank account/credit card to pay Paypal.[/QUOTE]

I could see that being a problem. They do give the option to pay sooner, prior to the 14 day maximum (I'll be doing it as soon as my item arrives). Like I said, this is the first time I've used this service, I'm kind of testing it and seeing how I like it.

bread's done
Back