Should Sony retire the Dualshock design completely for PS4?

Enuf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/18/report-sony-retiring-dualshock-with-ps4

I personally love the PS controllers & haven't cared for any of the other consoles controllers at all. I'd like to see them update the DS with added triggers(8 total) so every combination is accounted for & maybe a touch screen in the middle but that's about it for me. The old silver boomerang rumored one for PS3 wouldn't have bothered me at all either but I hope they definitely stay away from switching the d pad & analog like the 360 has(can't stand it).

There's one school of thought that it's such a good design which is why it hasn't changed. And others who've said they've been saddled with it for far too long. I play all types of games & never have had problems except for the dragon ball Z games when you need to really spin the analogs alot which will kill the controller fast if you play it alot with friends.

I think the Dualshock should remain as is. Whatever they add will most likely cost us more money in the end for no reason. $40 for a controller when on sale is already expensive, and controllers usually worn out or break which requires replacement. I still can't imagine how much it would cost a Wii U owner to get a replacement gamepad.

[quote name='htz']I think the Dualshock should remain as is. Whatever they add will most likely cost us more money in the end for no reason. $40 for a controller when on sale is already expensive, and controllers usually worn out or break which requires replacement. I still can't imagine how much it would cost a Wii U owner to get a replacement gamepad.[/QUOTE]

Do we ever think their will be a time when controllers don't have buttons but are touch sensitive?

I don't think the technology is perfect yet, especially where most games require a lot of precision but it sure would make the controllers look sleek

I agree with you guys. I love the current design. This (among many other reasons) is what drew me to become a Playstation fanboy; but yes maybe an added feature or two would be great.

[quote name='htz']I think the Dualshock should remain as is. Whatever they add will most likely cost us more money in the end for no reason. $40 for a controller when on sale is already expensive, and controllers usually worn out or break which requires replacement. I still can't imagine how much it would cost a Wii U owner to get a replacement gamepad.[/QUOTE]I think a new gamepad is $150. Sony must make an killing on the DS3 since they've gotta be much cheaper for them than $55. It took a long time before the PS2 ones hit $20.

I greatly prefer the Xbox controller layout, but of course this could just be a matter of what I'm use to. I doubt they will radically change the design. They may add things, but I doubt they'll go to an offset layout because their fans are use to the dualshock.

They can keep the design but make it bigger so it fits a normal person hands.When I was a little kid the PS controller was my favorite, after growing up it is just too small for me. Im sure there are still going to be small children and girls playing the PS4, but I would assume most of the audience will be adult males. Make a controller that fits in their hands comfortably.

please retire. my growing arthritis can't take it anymore. with the down attachment and triggers use, it's not even adual shock anymore anyways

Not retire, but it needs some alterations. The triggers are horrendous (IMO) and they could probably use trigger guards (360 style). Theres a reason why most FPS games use R1 to shoot instead of the R2 trigger. Maybe make the handle slightly bigger. The joysticks should also be indented slightly (again, 360 style).

As long as they me use a DS3 on the next play station, I'll be happy. I could care less about the other stuff, and probably wouldn't be interested in most games that would try to take advantage bio metrics and touch screen anyway.

Also, make the sticks better quality plastic, the left sticks on all my DS3's are worn down with a large notch in them due to always pressing forward on that one, while the right stick shows no wear.

I agree that the DS3 is too small. They should definitely make it bigger. Ideally they'd have both large and small models. Make everybody happy.

If it's better and more comfortable, sure. If they are just replacing it with something new for the sake of creating something new or to drive up the price with pointless extras, then fuck them.

[quote name='Javery']They need to swap out the right stick with the d-pad.[/QUOTE]

The thing I like about the DS is that it's nearly perfectly symmetrical (if you consider the face buttons and d-pad to be interchangeable) but I always wonder how it would feel if they swapped the left stick and d-pad. I got used to the DS thanks to Ape Escape and it's felt perfectly fine to me since then but I think it would be better if they swapped the two since most games make heavy use of the left stick and face buttons.

I still think they should definitely change the L/R2s to be more like triggers and put some kind of a groove in the joystick.

No. I've liked the original dual shock design since the PSone. They can make improvements, but not a new design. I would like to see the PS4 have some backwards compatibility with peripherals, so I would not have buy new controllers.

the problem is, MS and Sony have never really offered 2 different controllers for the same gen. the WII kinda did with the classic controllers, but I think that is an exception. they had to.

So I can't see them letting you use old controllers if they redesign it. I really hope for a redesign, but I would be ok if they didn't. I would like the left analog/dpad swap, as well as a more ergonomic design. MS really nailed the 360 controller.

I also hate the shape buttons, but i know that will never change. :)

[quote name='Jodou']If it isn't broken. . .[/QUOTE]

My attitude about it. Unless there is something significant that needs to be changed to support new controller features, I think the DS design works just fine. I know some prefer the XBox layout, but I think it is all about what you are used to, since I find nothing wrong with the DS's layout.

I think it definitely needs to be tweaked/refreshed. I personally love the Xbox controller and that is why sometimes I buy a game for 360 over my PS3.

Sony Dual Shock 4 tablet with High Tech compete with Wii U tablet low Tech. I really don't know why SONY keeps copy cat Nintendo from year to years.

I think they need to swap the LEFT stick, not the right. If they swapped the right stick and d-pad it would be exactly the opposite of the Xbox controller and that would be pretty weird. I mean if they were to do that at all, which I doubt.

[quote name='Heavyd814life']F that.[/QUOTE]

This. Change the triggers so the don't slant downwards and you're basically done, but please for the love of god leave the sticks symmetrical. It's one of the reason why I prefer the DS3 over the 360 controller.

[quote name='WV Matsui']I think it definitely needs to be tweaked/refreshed. I personally love the Xbox controller and that is why sometimes I buy a game for 360 over my PS3.[/QUOTE]

I have some friends that feel the same way, their biggest gripe is the size of the controller and triggers so if Sony can make slight changes in those areas I think it could benefit them. Just don't go crazy.

Take out the motion sensing. Make the battery easier to replace.

The Dualshock design is the best since the SNES pad. There is a reason it hasn't changed.

Switching the sticks would ruin the aesthetic and comfort factor for me. After 4 hour marathons on both systems, I think it's a lot more comfortable to play Call of Duty on the PS3. I like the triggers, but they could be concave instead.

I loved this controller for PSone and PS2 games. I was even nervous about going from PS2 to Xbox 360 because how much i loved the controller. But this generation ive really adapted to the 360 controller and it feels so much better than the PS3 controller, especially for games that use both analogs at the same time a lot.

What they need to fix:

Comfort of the controller, it feels thin and bony. The 360 controller is smooth and fits right in your hand. Its like a recliner rocking chair while the ps3 controller is like a fold out lawn chair. They need to smooth it out and get rid of the hard edges, maybe make it a little bigger.

The analogs are way too close together. If im playing a game like Infamous, i often jam my thumbs together when i am in the heat of battle when i have to push both analogs inward at the same time. It gets really annoying. I would never buy a game for PS3 that uses both analogs like that unless it was an exclusive title. Lucky for me my favorite game God of War doesnt use the RS that often. Its mostly the LS and face buttons.

The analogs dont have enough resistance. They are way too easy to move around, i need more tension.

Last but not least, get a better trigger design. Something that is either less slippery, or curved so my fingers dont slip off.

I already know that i wont go to the PS4 if they dont fix the controller a little, my major complaint is the analogs being too close together. The other things i talked about them fixing i can live with one way or another. But no way im going to play games that will have me jabbing my thumbs together.

I agree with everyone regarding the changing of the l2 / r2 buttons. I do thing they should change the shape of the analog sticks (top). I think that they would be better if they where concave, or maybe had a small rim around the top.
It's just a suggestion. The controller perfect,and I would strongly disagree with swapping the dPad and the left analog stick. NO! I don't think I like this touch pad integration that was recently reported.

http://n4g.com/news/1160100/the-pla...ncy-user-accounts-and-impressive-specs-so-far

[quote name='8bitArtist']so, youre like, 60 years old then, right?[/QUOTE]

30 yr old chef thank you. the industry has taken it's toll on my hands

I never thought about it but backwards compatible gaming may keep them from going to crazy. The tablet copy-cat I'm ok with if it's done like the PS Move vs Kinect don't try & force feed the "hardcore" gamers with fluff on some money grab by using our fav titles.

I definitely agree with the L2/R2 stuff as well & if they were to add 4 more that should increase the overall size which some have made mention to.

I really love the DS3 except for the triggers. Buying PS3 Real Triggers for a few bucks from Gamestop solved that problem.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/ps3-real-triggers/90442

I am a huge guy with huge hands and I have never had an issue with the size of the controller. If they made a slightly larger version I would give it a try and it might work better, but I am fine with it as it is.

I would be very upset if they went to the offset analog design like the 360. I just can not stand that. Games like Katamari and Ape Escape where both analogs are so important for gameplay would become frustrating.

They might but probably won't. Remember the "new" design they showed, that horrible boomerang crap? Yea I don't think they want that again. It's cheaper to just keep the same mold, so they'll do it.

Absolutely not, all they need to improve is the triggers. While I prefer the Xbox 360 controller some of the things I prefer on it are actually a lack of features (no motion functionality or built-in rechargeable battery) so I highly doubt Sony is going to remove features to make their controller better.

Adding more buttons would be fine from a hardware perspective but many games would use them poorly so I'd rather they not add any. I personally don't expect any controller to ever surpass the Xbox 360 controller and I expect both the PS4 and next Xbox to have worse controllers.

no change, perhaps an update for more of a formed fit "finger grip" around curves specifically the triggers, swap the function of r1/r2 and l1/l2 so its xbox trigger style, but really no. why fuck up the most comfortable, accurate, responsive, ergononmic controller ever made

I prefer the Dualshock to the 360 controller mainly because I have small hands. The Dualshock is much more comfortable to hold. The only changes I hope they make are to make R2 and L2 more like the 360 in terms of curves and resistance. I find myself slipping on them sometimes. Also, curving the analog sticks inward instead of outward to give more grip.

[quote name='shadowkast']30 yr old chef thank you. the industry has taken it's toll on my hands[/QUOTE]

then you really need to start taking care of yourself. arthritis just from gripping utensils? i turn 31 next month who is a massage therapist that rock climbs and my hands are fine and dandy.

I feel like it is time for an update to the dual shock. The PS1 dual shock basically just added a couple of analog sticks to the bottom/middle of the orginal PS1 controller, and not every game utilized the dual shock. Games have evolved significantly since then. Every modern game uses the left stick to move and the right stick to aim/look around. I'd hate to suggest that Sony copy Microsoft, but the Xbox 360 controller has it all right. The left stick should be in a natural position for use with your left thumb, not where you have to reach for it.

They also say the PS4's controller comes with a touchpad where the start and select buttons should be, and that there's a new "Share" button, which will let you share screenshots and videos online.

http://kotaku.com/5980841/report-th...l-record-gameplay-and-let-you-share-it-online

I love the sound of this feature, and IMO if there is a bigger gap between the LS and RS then i could care less if they are in the same positions. I just want a bigger gap so my thumbs dont jab each other when using both LS and RS. Which it sounds like there might have to be a bigger area to include a touch pad and share buttons.

Also i agree with those who dont like the round tops of the analog sticks, it should dip in like xbox sticks.

The design was superior back when first person shooter games were not as big on consoles. The triggers are not as comfortable to use as the Xbox 360 controller. That being said, everything else about it is tried and true.

The analog sticks are too close, either move them closer to my thumbs or swap the left one with the d-pad. I also hate pressing down L3 I wish this operation was smoother and easier with the stick in any position.

Not that it really matters, since I only just got a PS3 two years ago and only because it was free, but I really hope the PS4 doesn't change the dualshock too much. Honestly that's one of the reasons I like Sony gaming so much. Unlike Nintendo, the controllers don't change drastically every gen and get all complicated. Keep it simple and don't fix what isn't broken.

Dualshock is fine. I can't think of much they could do to make it a better controller aside from maybe altering L2/R2 a little. Making the analog sticks concave might like on the 360 might be good too.

But switching the places of the left analog stick and dpad? No. Just no.

Prototype?

ps4controller.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/14/report-playstation-4-controller-prototype-caught-on-camera/

A very old prototype but this has me worried sick that move is going to be a staple of design if they're jamming it into the controller. My hope is the controller is just meant for dev kits and will not sport move in the final design. The touchpad is far more likely, but I'm at a loss as to what I'd use it for. Web/store browsing maybe? I can't think of many practical uses for games outside of gimmicks that I couldn't care less about.

bread's done
Back