Photo
- - - - -

Should Sony retire the Dualshock design completely for PS4?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

so, youre like, 60 years old then, right?

30 yr old chef thank you. the industry has taken it's toll on my hands

#32 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

I never thought about it but backwards compatible gaming may keep them from going to crazy. The tablet copy-cat I'm ok with if it's done like the PS Move vs Kinect don't try & force feed the "hardcore" gamers with fluff on some money grab by using our fav titles.

I definitely agree with the L2/R2 stuff as well & if they were to add 4 more that should increase the overall size which some have made mention to.

#33 GatorBeerGeek

GatorBeerGeek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

I really love the DS3 except for the triggers. Buying PS3 Real Triggers for a few bucks from Gamestop solved that problem.

http://www.gamestop....-triggers/90442

I am a huge guy with huge hands and I have never had an issue with the size of the controller. If they made a slightly larger version I would give it a try and it might work better, but I am fine with it as it is.

I would be very upset if they went to the offset analog design like the 360. I just can not stand that. Games like Katamari and Ape Escape where both analogs are so important for gameplay would become frustrating.

GatorBeerGeek.png

#34 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

They might but probably won't. Remember the "new" design they showed, that horrible boomerang crap? Yea I don't think they want that again. It's cheaper to just keep the same mold, so they'll do it.

#35 PenguinMaster

PenguinMaster

Sacrilicious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

Absolutely not, all they need to improve is the triggers. While I prefer the Xbox 360 controller some of the things I prefer on it are actually a lack of features (no motion functionality or built-in rechargeable battery) so I highly doubt Sony is going to remove features to make their controller better.

Adding more buttons would be fine from a hardware perspective but many games would use them poorly so I'd rather they not add any. I personally don't expect any controller to ever surpass the Xbox 360 controller and I expect both the PS4 and next Xbox to have worse controllers.

Digital distribution is the death of the preservation of the arts.

Game Collection: http://backloggery.c...r=penguinmaster
Blu-ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...action=overview

#36 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'm OK with keeping it. I could deal with them modifying the triggers so I don't have to buy these for every controller, but that's about it.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#37 chrislisting

chrislisting

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

no change, perhaps an update for more of a formed fit "finger grip" around curves specifically the triggers, swap the function of r1/r2 and l1/l2 so its xbox trigger style, but really no. why Fuck up the most comfortable, accurate, responsive, ergononmic controller ever made

#38 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I prefer the Dualshock to the 360 controller mainly because I have small hands. The Dualshock is much more comfortable to hold. The only changes I hope they make are to make R2 and L2 more like the 360 in terms of curves and resistance. I find myself slipping on them sometimes. Also, curving the analog sticks inward instead of outward to give more grip.

fs_overall.png

#39 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Concave stick.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#40 8bitArtist

8bitArtist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

30 yr old chef thank you. the industry has taken it's toll on my hands

then you really need to start taking care of yourself. arthritis just from gripping utensils? i turn 31 next month who is a massage therapist that rock climbs and my hands are fine and dandy.

EightBitArtist.png

#41 WRXKayaker

WRXKayaker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I feel like it is time for an update to the dual shock. The PS1 dual shock basically just added a couple of analog sticks to the bottom/middle of the orginal PS1 controller, and not every game utilized the dual shock. Games have evolved significantly since then. Every modern game uses the left stick to move and the right stick to aim/look around. I'd hate to suggest that Sony copy Microsoft, but the Xbox 360 controller has it all right. The left stick should be in a natural position for use with your left thumb, not where you have to reach for it.

Currently Playing:   :pc: Batman: Arkham Origins     :ps3: Far Cry 3

Recently Completed:    :pc: Bioshock Infinite   :ps3: GTA V

Steam Profile

#42 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

They also say the PS4's controller comes with a touchpad where the start and select buttons should be, and that there's a new "Share" button, which will let you share screenshots and videos online.

http://kotaku.com/59...share-it-online

I love the sound of this feature, and IMO if there is a bigger gap between the LS and RS then i could care less if they are in the same positions. I just want a bigger gap so my thumbs dont jab each other when using both LS and RS. Which it sounds like there might have to be a bigger area to include a touch pad and share buttons.

Also i agree with those who dont like the round tops of the analog sticks, it should dip in like xbox sticks.

TwitterIcon2.png the7thnumber.png

#43 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

The design was superior back when first person shooter games were not as big on consoles. The triggers are not as comfortable to use as the Xbox 360 controller. That being said, everything else about it is tried and true.

#44 Limegreen

Limegreen

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

The analog sticks are too close, either move them closer to my thumbs or swap the left one with the d-pad. I also hate pressing down L3 I wish this operation was smoother and easier with the stick in any position.
Posted Image

#45 filmthedead

filmthedead

Worse Than Furries

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:31 AM

Not that it really matters, since I only just got a PS3 two years ago and only because it was free, but I really hope the PS4 doesn't change the dualshock too much. Honestly that's one of the reasons I like Sony gaming so much. Unlike Nintendo, the controllers don't change drastically every gen and get all complicated. Keep it simple and don't fix what isn't broken.

#46 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Dualshock is fine. I can't think of much they could do to make it a better controller aside from maybe altering L2/R2 a little. Making the analog sticks concave might like on the 360 might be good too.

But switching the places of the left analog stick and dpad? No. Just no.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#47 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Prototype?

Posted Image

http://www.joystiq.c...ught-on-camera/

TwitterIcon2.png the7thnumber.png

#48 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

A very old prototype but this has me worried sick that move is going to be a staple of design if they're jamming it into the controller. My hope is the controller is just meant for dev kits and will not sport move in the final design. The touchpad is far more likely, but I'm at a loss as to what I'd use it for. Web/store browsing maybe? I can't think of many practical uses for games outside of gimmicks that I couldn't care less about.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#49 filmthedead

filmthedead

Worse Than Furries

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

i like the analog stick design on that prototype.

#50 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

Concave stick, Vita d-pad, and mic slot. Should be good.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#51 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

Another (maybe fake?) pic

Posted Image

I'm really glad they didn't move the left analog stick.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#52 filmthedead

filmthedead

Worse Than Furries

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

I really can't imagine what that screen would be good for.

#53 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

The prototype looks nice. I'm glad it has a mic slot this time. I just hope that the DS3 is compatible with the PS4.
Posted Image

#54 praxus07

praxus07

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

As long as third party companies come out with xbox type controllers for the PS4 I don't care what Sony does with their design. Right now I use the Power-A wired controller, looks and feels exactly like the 360's controller, and I love that. Can't stand the feel or position of the sticks on a Sony controller.
Praxus_07.png

#55 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

I've never cared for it. I prefer offset analog sticks and triggers. Much better for shooters IMO, and that's most of what I play. Moot though as I doubt I'll get a PS4. If I buy any next gen system I'd probably just stick with Xbox as I don't game enough to own more than one console again and I enjoy the MS first party stuff more than Sony's.

Edited by dmaul1114, 15 February 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#56 Buried On Mars

Buried On Mars

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Why not change the controller but make the PS4 backwards compatible with DS3 controllers? A la Gamecube controllers on the Wii. It's little more work for the developers but it'll make a lot of gamers happy.
Check out my disastrously clever youtube channel http://www.youtube.c...r/BuriedOnMars/

#57 Indiana

Indiana

Over 3 decades of gaming!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

I think the new design looks good. It looks like they made the controller the right width finally. What I do not understand is why do they need a dedicated button to record and share? I can't imagine using that button much it seems like a menu option would do just fine.

#58 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

I will never press the record or share button... ever. Total waste of real estate!

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#59 8bitArtist

8bitArtist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

I will never press the record or share button... ever. Total waste of real estate!

im sure all of us have had a funny moment in games where we would have liked to share it with some ppl on our friends list.

they werent going to put anything else in that "real estate"

EightBitArtist.png

#60 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

im sure all of us have had a funny moment in games where we would have liked to share it with some ppl on our friends list.

they werent going to put anything else in that "real estate"

Nothing anyone does while playing any game is that interesting. :D

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---