• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

just checking the web sight today:)
http://www.bestbuy.c...5-2930-6819-0-1

http://www.bestbuy.c...customerreviews
??? i have the super slim bundle which i got for 249 should i return it and
the older slim. My only gripe is the noise the disk make when spinning up
and while playing a game...

Edited by bizzy74, 23 January 2013 - 03:40 PM.
spelling

#2 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Thank you so much! I had a $50 GC and $80 Reward Zone Certs (from mobile promotion) so roughly $122 out of pocket. Grabbed the 160GB Slim because I can't stand the new models. I would definitely return your current model though.

Honestly, the Slim at $229 is a better deal than the Super Slim being $199 during the BF sales.

Thanks again!

Edited by CheapAssHustla, 23 January 2013 - 04:11 PM.
Added moar stuff!

Forza 5 Full Game Download/Titanfall Full Game Download - $80 bundle

Ms. Splosion Man and Pinball FX XBL Codes for Sale/Trade

This is my new theme song. "Man, you're a CheapAssGamer."

YouTube

#3 smokeyp31

smokeyp31

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I bought one of th super slim and returned it , I didnt like the design, I bought one of the 160 GB and love it, I bought it for $249 about a week ago, I guess im gonna have to go back to bestbuy and get the $20 dollar difference back, awesome

#4 Rock_Dash3X

Rock_Dash3X

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Honestly, the Slim at $229 is a better deal than the Super Slim being $199 during the BF sales.

You're telling me paying 229 for a system that has less space and no game is a better deal than a system with bigger room, 5 games and a free month of PS+ at the price of 200?

I think you belong in the wrong site :P

#5 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

You're telling me paying 229 for a system that has less space and no game is a better deal than a system with bigger room, 5 games and a free month of PS+ at the price of 200?

I think you belong in the wrong site :P

I was speaking on build quality alone. I work customer service, and I can't tell you how many Super Slims were returned in the last month. I already have those games, and upgrading HDD's is inexpensive to do. If I wasn't able to snag one of the Slims, I'd throw my PSN account on my GF's PS3 and download my PS+ games on there.

Edited by CheapAssHustla, 23 January 2013 - 04:27 PM.
More info.

YouTube

#6 Rock_Dash3X

Rock_Dash3X

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I was speaking on build quality alone. I work customer service, and I can't tell you how many Super Slims were returned in the last month. I already have those games, and upgrading HDD's is inexpensive to do. If I wasn't able to snag one of the Slims, I'd throw my PSN account on my GF's PS3 and download my PS+ games on there.

I'm just messing with ya. Though I have no problem with the build quality. I think the system is pretty strong. Yes it "feels" cheaper but I have other things that feel cheap and have zero issues. Can you tell me how many SS were returned and why? Just curious why people would be returning it or any other system.

#7 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

The only thing that bugs me a little about the super slim is the rigged design of the top - it tends to catch dust, or at least it seems to. But I have a duster, so it's OK. :)

#8 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

None of the stores around me have the PS3 160GB Slim in stock. Looks like I'm going to take a drive out to Pennsylvania for it....

YouTube

#9 nixmahn

nixmahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I'm just messing with ya. Though I have no problem with the build quality. I think the system is pretty strong. Yes it "feels" cheaper but I have other things that feel cheap and have zero issues. Can you tell me how many SS were returned and why? Just curious why people would be returning it or any other system.

Sliding top design makes it awkward in the vertical position to change/remove discs. Sliding design pretty much means you can only put it flat down. Not an issue with the 360 tray but the PS3 super slim just fells a step backwards with the design with less options from a customer/user point of view.

#10 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Compared to the people who didn't want the system vs issues with the system, there were probably five to seven that were returned due to various issues. It was so busy, but I do remember two of issues specifically. The first issue was that the system wasn't outputing video through composite or HDMI. Tested both connections at our test station. The second issue was a faulty disc drive. It game would show up in the X media bar, but the game wouldn't start. Plus it would get super loud right after you turned the system on....

YouTube

#11 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I agree that it's a bit awkward to get the disc out if you put the super slim vertical. That is a flaw. So if you want to set it up vertical you should consider that.

Ours is not defective. Works perfectly.

#12 Rock_Dash3X

Rock_Dash3X

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Sliding top design makes it awkward in the vertical position to change/remove discs. Sliding design pretty much means you can only put it flat down. Not an issue with the 360 tray but the PS3 super slim just fells a step backwards with the design with less options from a customer/user point of view.

Weird. All my systems actually stand vertical and have no issues with changing/removing the disc. Only thing I have problems with is closing the tray. It's more top heavy so I have to hold the system when closing so it doesn't tilt over. I wish the stand was actually cheaper. I actually have an issue with 360 tray, but I think cause my tray was messed up to begin with.

Compared to the people who didn't want the system vs issues with the system, there were probably five to seven that were returned due to various issues. It was so busy, but I do remember two of issues specifically. The first issue was that the system wasn't outputing video through composite or HDMI. Tested both connections at our test station. The second issue was a faulty disc drive. It game would show up in the X media bar, but the game wouldn't start. Plus it would get super loud right after you turned the system on....

That sucks for them. Buying a system with a issue out of the box is never appealing. Never had this experience but had friends who did. Probably just those batch. Those issues doesn't sound common enough to be a issue with just the Super Slim. I have heard the same for the regular Slim. Not enough for it to be recalled. Just probably damaged through transport.

#13 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Weird. All my systems actually stand vertical and have no issues with changing/removing the disc. Only thing I have problems with is closing the tray. It's more top heavy so I have to hold the system when closing so it doesn't tilt over. I wish the stand was actually cheaper. I actually have an issue with 360 tray, but I think cause my tray was messed up to begin with.

That sucks for them. Buying a system with a issue out of the box is never appealing. Never had this experience but had friends who did. Probably just those batch. Those issues doesn't sound common enough to be a issue with just the Super Slim. I have heard the same for the regular Slim. Not enough for it to be recalled. Just probably damaged through transport.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm driving out later on to pick up my PS3 so I will open out and test it at the store. I'm not driving back out there to return it..

#14 Chemosh013

Chemosh013

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Superslim definitely feels cheap but I love how small and light it is. Sure, the sliding design sucks but I don't change out my discs very much. The size and weight were more important for me (as well as the $200 BF price) because I move my PS3 between the main TV (for netflix and amazon instant) and my office (for gaming).

ach.png

#15 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I'm in the market for a new PS3 and I was unaware this new super slim model had issues. My Best Buy has a crap load of these 160GB Slims. Is this the better model to get?

#16 hbomb

hbomb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'm in the market for a new PS3 and I was unaware this new super slim model had issues. My Best Buy has a crap load of these 160GB Slims. Is this the better model to get?

Personally, I am a big fan of the super slim. Smaller = better. Yes, the sliding tray cover seems cheap. But everything else is just fine. If both are at the same price, I will get the superslim over the slim, esp with if it comes with more free games or psn trials.

#17 Abeja

Abeja

CAG with No Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

I like the sliding disc door. Saves on less mechanical issues with ejecting/inserting.

#18 hall31

hall31

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the post OP. 1st gen PS3 came up with YLOD last week. Been debating on which of these models to pickup. Still prefer the touch sensors and look of the 1st gen. Abeja has a point on the sliding door having less mechanical issues. Heard from a friend who repairs PS3's that the loading mechanism on the original slim is the biggest reason those consoles come in for repairs when people bring them to him.

#19 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Personally, I am a big fan of the super slim. Smaller = better. Yes, the sliding tray cover seems cheap. But everything else is just fine. If both are at the same price, I will get the superslim over the slim, esp with if it comes with more free games or psn trials.

How is the "heat" factor on the super-slim?

I had the very first gen of the slim (120GB), and it always got sort of hot. 3 years later and I would say the back of the console gets very hot, and the fan goes pretty loudly too (especially after about an hour or more it starts to really crank up).

Would love the super-slim if after 2 hour gaming session it is still reltaively cool. A little bit of noise out of the disc drive wouldn't bother me (i remember the PS2 slim made a bit of noise while it was reading discs). In my experience that only happened during heavy "loading" though. If it's just a steady streaming of data it was much more tolerable. So hopefully the PS3 super-slim is the same way. But to me, the "heat factor" overrides everything.

#20 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

I also agree that the small size is a plus. I'd buy the super slim again. I may end up getting a 2nd one if I can find one for less than $199. I can't see paying more than $199, at least, since that's what I payed for the BF bundle and that came with 4 games and a month of PS+. That was an awesome deal.

#21 stormshadow

stormshadow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I had the same issue. My launch 80GB just YLOD the other day and I was going to hold out for the 500GB thats coming out this week, but I couldn't pass up the Slim at 229. I know its less space but like others have said, upgrading the HD is ridiculously easy. One major thing I have noticed is that the thing is QUIET. Seriously, it make almost no sound, which is strange.

On a side note, anyone have any luck getting a disc out of a YLOD PS3?

#22 hall31

hall31

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

I had the same issue. My launch 80GB just YLOD the other day and I was going to hold out for the 500GB thats coming out this week, but I couldn't pass up the Slim at 229. I know its less space but like others have said, upgrading the HD is ridiculously easy. One major thing I have noticed is that the thing is QUIET. Seriously, it make almost no sound, which is strange.

Same issue here. No choice but to dismantle PS3 and open up that blu-ray drive it seems.

#23 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

How is the "heat" factor on the super-slim?

I had the very first gen of the slim (120GB), and it always got sort of hot. 3 years later and I would say the back of the console gets very hot, and the fan goes pretty loudly too (especially after about an hour or more it starts to really crank up).

Would love the super-slim if after 2 hour gaming session it is still reltaively cool. A little bit of noise out of the disc drive wouldn't bother me (i remember the PS2 slim made a bit of noise while it was reading discs). In my experience that only happened during heavy "loading" though. If it's just a steady streaming of data it was much more tolerable. So hopefully the PS3 super-slim is the same way. But to me, the "heat factor" overrides everything.

Almost no heat whatsoever. The only downsides of the super slim are the 'cheap' build quality and the occasional whirring of the disk drive spinning.

#24 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

That disk getting stuck in PS3 thing is a good advertisement for the super slim's manual sliding door.

#25 cold_young_thug

cold_young_thug

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

I just bought the BF ps3 bundle and while the sliding tray mechanism isnt desired, I honestly cant NOT recommend it over any other ps3, especially with THIS particular bundle. (Infamous/Uncharted) One thing is for certain, buying just a ps3 with no bundle for more than $250 is a fail.

#26 hall31

hall31

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

I just bought the BF ps3 bundle and while the sliding tray mechanism isnt desired, I honestly cant NOT recommend it over any other ps3, especially with THIS particular bundle. (Infamous/Uncharted) One thing is for certain, buying just a ps3 with no bundle for more than $250 is a fail.

They still have these in store? How much?

#27 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

I know on the slim there is a small screw that you can use to manually eject a stuck disc.

https://support.us.p...etail/a_id/1783

#28 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I also agree that the small size is a plus. I'd buy the super slim again. I may end up getting a 2nd one if I can find one for less than $199. I can't see paying more than $199, at least, since that's what I payed for the BF bundle and that came with 4 games and a month of PS+. That was an awesome deal.

I gotta agree, I love the Superslim. Looks good beside my slim PS2.

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

Get free stuff with my Swagbucks Referral Link: http://swagbucks.com/refer/cookieparty

#29 hall31

hall31

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

Same issue here. No choice but to dismantle PS3 and open up that blu-ray drive it seems.

Turns out you might be able to get that disc out. Turn power off in back, hold down eject, power back on while holding eject. It will run fan test and eject disc. Good luck!

#30 bludd

bludd

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

Just curious, anyone getting any type of warranty with their new ps3s? I only see 3 year deals from sony and a 3 year deal from square trade. Are there any warranty that is longer than 3 years at a reasonable price?