PS3 160gb slim and 250gb super slim on sale at BB

Thank you so much! I had a $50 GC and $80 Reward Zone Certs (from mobile promotion) so roughly $122 out of pocket. Grabbed the 160GB Slim because I can't stand the new models. I would definitely return your current model though.

Honestly, the Slim at $229 is a better deal than the Super Slim being $199 during the BF sales.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of th super slim and returned it , I didnt like the design, I bought one of the 160 GB and love it, I bought it for $249 about a week ago, I guess im gonna have to go back to bestbuy and get the $20 dollar difference back, awesome

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']Honestly, the Slim at $229 is a better deal than the Super Slim being $199 during the BF sales.
[/QUOTE]
You're telling me paying 229 for a system that has less space and no game is a better deal than a system with bigger room, 5 games and a free month of PS+ at the price of 200?

I think you belong in the wrong site :p

[quote name='Rock_Dash3X']You're telling me paying 229 for a system that has less space and no game is a better deal than a system with bigger room, 5 games and a free month of PS+ at the price of 200?

I think you belong in the wrong site :p[/QUOTE]

I was speaking on build quality alone. I work customer service, and I can't tell you how many Super Slims were returned in the last month. I already have those games, and upgrading HDD's is inexpensive to do. If I wasn't able to snag one of the Slims, I'd throw my PSN account on my GF's PS3 and download my PS+ games on there.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I was speaking on build quality alone. I work customer service, and I can't tell you how many Super Slims were returned in the last month. I already have those games, and upgrading HDD's is inexpensive to do. If I wasn't able to snag one of the Slims, I'd throw my PSN account on my GF's PS3 and download my PS+ games on there.[/QUOTE]

I'm just messing with ya. Though I have no problem with the build quality. I think the system is pretty strong. Yes it "feels" cheaper but I have other things that feel cheap and have zero issues. Can you tell me how many SS were returned and why? Just curious why people would be returning it or any other system.

The only thing that bugs me a little about the super slim is the rigged design of the top - it tends to catch dust, or at least it seems to. But I have a duster, so it's OK. :)

[quote name='Rock_Dash3X']I'm just messing with ya. Though I have no problem with the build quality. I think the system is pretty strong. Yes it "feels" cheaper but I have other things that feel cheap and have zero issues. Can you tell me how many SS were returned and why? Just curious why people would be returning it or any other system.[/QUOTE]

Sliding top design makes it awkward in the vertical position to change/remove discs. Sliding design pretty much means you can only put it flat down. Not an issue with the 360 tray but the PS3 super slim just fells a step backwards with the design with less options from a customer/user point of view.

[quote name='Rock_Dash3X']I'm just messing with ya. Though I have no problem with the build quality. I think the system is pretty strong. Yes it "feels" cheaper but I have other things that feel cheap and have zero issues. Can you tell me how many SS were returned and why? Just curious why people would be returning it or any other system.[/QUOTE]

Compared to the people who didn't want the system vs issues with the system, there were probably five to seven that were returned due to various issues. It was so busy, but I do remember two of issues specifically. The first issue was that the system wasn't outputing video through composite or HDMI. Tested both connections at our test station. The second issue was a faulty disc drive. It game would show up in the X media bar, but the game wouldn't start. Plus it would get super loud right after you turned the system on....

I agree that it's a bit awkward to get the disc out if you put the super slim vertical. That is a flaw. So if you want to set it up vertical you should consider that.

Ours is not defective. Works perfectly.

[quote name='nixmahn']Sliding top design makes it awkward in the vertical position to change/remove discs. Sliding design pretty much means you can only put it flat down. Not an issue with the 360 tray but the PS3 super slim just fells a step backwards with the design with less options from a customer/user point of view.[/QUOTE]
Weird. All my systems actually stand vertical and have no issues with changing/removing the disc. Only thing I have problems with is closing the tray. It's more top heavy so I have to hold the system when closing so it doesn't tilt over. I wish the stand was actually cheaper. I actually have an issue with 360 tray, but I think cause my tray was messed up to begin with.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']Compared to the people who didn't want the system vs issues with the system, there were probably five to seven that were returned due to various issues. It was so busy, but I do remember two of issues specifically. The first issue was that the system wasn't outputing video through composite or HDMI. Tested both connections at our test station. The second issue was a faulty disc drive. It game would show up in the X media bar, but the game wouldn't start. Plus it would get super loud right after you turned the system on....[/QUOTE]
That sucks for them. Buying a system with a issue out of the box is never appealing. Never had this experience but had friends who did. Probably just those batch. Those issues doesn't sound common enough to be a issue with just the Super Slim. I have heard the same for the regular Slim. Not enough for it to be recalled. Just probably damaged through transport.

[quote name='Rock_Dash3X']Weird. All my systems actually stand vertical and have no issues with changing/removing the disc. Only thing I have problems with is closing the tray. It's more top heavy so I have to hold the system when closing so it doesn't tilt over. I wish the stand was actually cheaper. I actually have an issue with 360 tray, but I think cause my tray was messed up to begin with.

That sucks for them. Buying a system with a issue out of the box is never appealing. Never had this experience but had friends who did. Probably just those batch. Those issues doesn't sound common enough to be a issue with just the Super Slim. I have heard the same for the regular Slim. Not enough for it to be recalled. Just probably damaged through transport.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean. I'm driving out later on to pick up my PS3 so I will open out and test it at the store. I'm not driving back out there to return it..

Superslim definitely feels cheap but I love how small and light it is. Sure, the sliding design sucks but I don't change out my discs very much. The size and weight were more important for me (as well as the $200 BF price) because I move my PS3 between the main TV (for netflix and amazon instant) and my office (for gaming).

I'm in the market for a new PS3 and I was unaware this new super slim model had issues. My Best Buy has a crap load of these 160GB Slims. Is this the better model to get?

[quote name='gldoorii']I'm in the market for a new PS3 and I was unaware this new super slim model had issues. My Best Buy has a crap load of these 160GB Slims. Is this the better model to get?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I am a big fan of the super slim. Smaller = better. Yes, the sliding tray cover seems cheap. But everything else is just fine. If both are at the same price, I will get the superslim over the slim, esp with if it comes with more free games or psn trials.

Thanks for the post OP. 1st gen PS3 came up with YLOD last week. Been debating on which of these models to pickup. Still prefer the touch sensors and look of the 1st gen. Abeja has a point on the sliding door having less mechanical issues. Heard from a friend who repairs PS3's that the loading mechanism on the original slim is the biggest reason those consoles come in for repairs when people bring them to him.

[quote name='hbomb']Personally, I am a big fan of the super slim. Smaller = better. Yes, the sliding tray cover seems cheap. But everything else is just fine. If both are at the same price, I will get the superslim over the slim, esp with if it comes with more free games or psn trials.[/QUOTE]

How is the "heat" factor on the super-slim?

I had the very first gen of the slim (120GB), and it always got sort of hot. 3 years later and I would say the back of the console gets very hot, and the fan goes pretty loudly too (especially after about an hour or more it starts to really crank up).

Would love the super-slim if after 2 hour gaming session it is still reltaively cool. A little bit of noise out of the disc drive wouldn't bother me (i remember the PS2 slim made a bit of noise while it was reading discs). In my experience that only happened during heavy "loading" though. If it's just a steady streaming of data it was much more tolerable. So hopefully the PS3 super-slim is the same way. But to me, the "heat factor" overrides everything.

I also agree that the small size is a plus. I'd buy the super slim again. I may end up getting a 2nd one if I can find one for less than $199. I can't see paying more than $199, at least, since that's what I payed for the BF bundle and that came with 4 games and a month of PS+. That was an awesome deal.

I had the same issue. My launch 80GB just YLOD the other day and I was going to hold out for the 500GB thats coming out this week, but I couldn't pass up the Slim at 229. I know its less space but like others have said, upgrading the HD is ridiculously easy. One major thing I have noticed is that the thing is QUIET. Seriously, it make almost no sound, which is strange.

On a side note, anyone have any luck getting a disc out of a YLOD PS3?

[quote name='stormshadow']I had the same issue. My launch 80GB just YLOD the other day and I was going to hold out for the 500GB thats coming out this week, but I couldn't pass up the Slim at 229. I know its less space but like others have said, upgrading the HD is ridiculously easy. One major thing I have noticed is that the thing is QUIET. Seriously, it make almost no sound, which is strange.

On a side note, anyone have any luck getting a disc out of a YLOD PS3?[/QUOTE]

Same issue here. No choice but to dismantle PS3 and open up that blu-ray drive it seems.

[quote name='Agent Orange']How is the "heat" factor on the super-slim?

I had the very first gen of the slim (120GB), and it always got sort of hot. 3 years later and I would say the back of the console gets very hot, and the fan goes pretty loudly too (especially after about an hour or more it starts to really crank up).

Would love the super-slim if after 2 hour gaming session it is still reltaively cool. A little bit of noise out of the disc drive wouldn't bother me (i remember the PS2 slim made a bit of noise while it was reading discs). In my experience that only happened during heavy "loading" though. If it's just a steady streaming of data it was much more tolerable. So hopefully the PS3 super-slim is the same way. But to me, the "heat factor" overrides everything.[/QUOTE]

Almost no heat whatsoever. The only downsides of the super slim are the 'cheap' build quality and the occasional whirring of the disk drive spinning.

I just bought the BF ps3 bundle and while the sliding tray mechanism isnt desired, I honestly cant NOT recommend it over any other ps3, especially with THIS particular bundle. (Infamous/Uncharted) One thing is for certain, buying just a ps3 with no bundle for more than $250 is a fail.

[quote name='cold_young_thug']I just bought the BF ps3 bundle and while the sliding tray mechanism isnt desired, I honestly cant NOT recommend it over any other ps3, especially with THIS particular bundle. (Infamous/Uncharted) One thing is for certain, buying just a ps3 with no bundle for more than $250 is a fail.[/QUOTE]

They still have these in store? How much?

[quote name='stormshadow']I had the same issue. My launch 80GB just YLOD the other day and I was going to hold out for the 500GB thats coming out this week, but I couldn't pass up the Slim at 229. I know its less space but like others have said, upgrading the HD is ridiculously easy. One major thing I have noticed is that the thing is QUIET. Seriously, it make almost no sound, which is strange.

On a side note, anyone have any luck getting a disc out of a YLOD PS3?[/QUOTE]

I know on the slim there is a small screw that you can use to manually eject a stuck disc.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1783

[quote name='crunchewy']I also agree that the small size is a plus. I'd buy the super slim again. I may end up getting a 2nd one if I can find one for less than $199. I can't see paying more than $199, at least, since that's what I payed for the BF bundle and that came with 4 games and a month of PS+. That was an awesome deal.[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree, I love the Superslim. Looks good beside my slim PS2.

[quote name='hall31']Same issue here. No choice but to dismantle PS3 and open up that blu-ray drive it seems.[/QUOTE]

Turns out you might be able to get that disc out. Turn power off in back, hold down eject, power back on while holding eject. It will run fan test and eject disc. Good luck!

Just curious, anyone getting any type of warranty with their new ps3s? I only see 3 year deals from sony and a 3 year deal from square trade. Are there any warranty that is longer than 3 years at a reasonable price?

[quote name='smokeyp31']I bought one of th super slim and returned it , I didnt like the design, I bought one of the 160 GB and love it, I bought it for $249 about a week ago, I guess im gonna have to go back to bestbuy and get the $20 dollar difference back, awesome[/QUOTE]

this.. the super slim is a massive pile of shit. Im floored that Sony would release such a cheaply made, shoddy product on the market. Honestly it looks like some cheap Chinese knockoff.

BTW for the 160gb model, im surprised that it hasn't dropped in price much. $20 off isn't much of a sale. I keep waiting for them to be about $150 or so to snag one as a backup/BD player for upstairs or something but its not happening. Anyone think theres any chance of that happening? I remember last year GS had them around that price

people keep saying it LOOKS like shit, but noone can actually say it is shit, lol.

Its not even cheaply made, other then having a sliding door.

Will wait for the 500GB bundle to drop in price......my PS3 slim is going through some issues, gladly I bought the 3 year extended with squaretrade

Today was a long day for me. After having to call customer service regarding my order not being available at one of the local stores, I was able to snag one two hours away in Erie, PA. What a drive that was. The best parts of that long trip included grabbing some Krispy Kreme Donuts, and stopping by Steak and Shake. The rep that helped me was pretty legit as well. She was so cute, and she actually knew about gaming. We started to talk about Kingdom Hearts and the PS3 in general. I wished she worked at my store because I would talk to her all day. I'm going to see how much the protection plans are when I go back to work. I barely even hear this model running, and I can definitely get used to that! See you guys/gals later!

Hmmmm...all the differing opinions on the super slim leads me to believe its just a matter of taste. I'm looking to snag a second PS3 for my desk to play when the gf needs to watch Bravo shows.

I really don't care about looks as when I'm enjoying a game it doesn't matter. I'm going super slim as size is an issue, but I think I read in the posts that it does AND doesn't run hot..this is my only concern, anybody else having heat issues w the super slim?

[quote name='Chocoburger']Dang, still waiting on PS3 half-slim to reach $200. But my launch system is still going strong, but for how much longer?! :hot:[/QUOTE]

When my launch system died it showed signs for about a week, like freezing often, so when it is time for your Phat to go into the light you should know it.

I'm wondering if we'll see a PS3 price drop soonish but Sony keeps putting out bundles to "add value" instead of dropping the price, still though, if I were you I'd hold out as long as possible or bite on a good sale if you can find one.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']Do they still make regular slims or are they OOP?[/QUOTE]
not 100% sure, but i heard it was oop

[quote name='Deader2818']people keep saying it LOOKS like shit, but noone can actually say it is shit, lol.

Its not even cheaply made, other then having a sliding door.[/QUOTE]

It IS shit. Have you held one? It feels like a cheap piece of garbage... and im not sure how you can just blow off the shitty sliding door. Thats a major reason WHY its shit. The mechanism itself is cheap, but the thinness of the plastic just makes it laughable. Theyre not removing an actual drive to help people who had games stuck in it (that was fixed with the first slims), theyre doing it to save every dime they can and cheap out on construction of the system

The PS2 slim was kinda shit too, but it wasn't anywhere near as terrible as this PS3 super slim.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']Today was a long day for me. After having to call customer service regarding my order not being available at one of the local stores, I was able to snag one two hours away in Erie, PA. What a drive that was. The best parts of that long trip included grabbing some Krispy Kreme Donuts, and stopping by Steak and Shake. The rep that helped me was pretty legit as well. She was so cute, and she actually knew about gaming. We started to talk about Kingdom Hearts and the PS3 in general. I wished she worked at my store because I would talk to her all day. I'm going to see how much the protection plans are when I go back to work. I barely even hear this model running, and I can definitely get used to that! See you guys/gals later![/QUOTE]

Damn wish i had a Krispy Kreme around here =(

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']Compared to the people who didn't want the system vs issues with the system, there were probably five to seven that were returned due to various issues. It was so busy, but I do remember two of issues specifically. The first issue was that the system wasn't outputing video through composite or HDMI. Tested both connections at our test station. The second issue was a faulty disc drive. It game would show up in the X media bar, but the game wouldn't start. Plus it would get super loud right after you turned the system on....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I'll probably pick one up later after they have worked out all the "bugs" with the hardware, but I always hesitate to buy the newest model until it's been out for some time.

"Krispy Kreme" and "Super Slim" in the same thread... just makes me smile. :D
I got the "regular" 160gb Slim last year when it was offered with a $30 BB gift card (effectively reducing the price to $219). I would probably buy the Super Slim now if I didn't have a PS3, just for the price factor alone. As others have said, it's not that difficult to switch out the HDD, and you can go as big as you want... I hear 1TB drives are becoming more common for those switching out their HDDs.

I've been buying my consoles relatively late in the production cycle, when they're both more reliable (the bugs and mishaps at launch have been fixed) and more affordable (the PS3 in particular has come a looooong way in that regard since launch).

It really comes down to personal preference when choosing between the "regular" Slim and the Super Slim. The best way would be to play for a while with each console and decide which you like better. If you don't have friends nearby with each console, then see if there are stores that rent out consoles. Admittedly they won't be in 100% shape if they're rentals, but that may help you determine which is more durable.

Good luck!

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']Today was a long day for me. After having to call customer service regarding my order not being available at one of the local stores, I was able to snag one two hours away in Erie, PA. What a drive that was. The best parts of that long trip included grabbing some Krispy Kreme Donuts, and stopping by Steak and Shake. The rep that helped me was pretty legit as well. She was so cute, and she actually knew about gaming. We started to talk about Kingdom Hearts and the PS3 in general. I wished she worked at my store because I would talk to her all day. I'm going to see how much the protection plans are when I go back to work. I barely even hear this model running, and I can definitely get used to that! See you guys/gals later![/QUOTE]
Did you ask if they could have it shipped it to your closest store? It's called OMS. You lost most of your savings in gas money.

[quote name='Abear21']I really don't care about looks as when I'm enjoying a game it doesn't matter. I'm going super slim as size is an issue, but I think I read in the posts that it does AND doesn't run hot..this is my only concern, anybody else having heat issues w the super slim?[/QUOTE]

According to the iFixit Teardown, the power supply has been reduced from 12V 18A in the Slim to 12V 13A in the super slim. To me, that signals a possible shrink in chip size. Power consumption, chip size, heat production, are all usually tied together. The fan is also smaller in the super slim. That may lead to more perceived fan noise since smaller fans tend to have to spin faster. The fan is much much quieter than the original PS3 fan though.

Sony's goal here is to reduce cost. Reducing the console size means they can fit more systems in a shipping container. Using thin, lightweight plastic means the shipping container is lighter. Shrinking die size means better chip yields. Consumers benefit from smaller chips in the power consumption department but this is a business and decisions are ultimately made to maximize profit.

I have not noticed any significant heat from our superslim at all, but admittedly I haven't checked it closely. I will check more closely next time I play it.

[quote name='klimb22']Did you ask if they could have it shipped it to your closest store? It's called OMS. You lost most of your savings in gas money.[/QUOTE]

I tried to have it shipped, but on the website it says not available for shipping. That was one of the first questions I asked when I called customer service the second time. All is not lost though, once my reward zone points clear in the second week of February, it'll make my new PS3 free. ;) The thing about OMS is that you can't use it to ship systems because consoles have serial numbers attached to them. Last but not least, I had to fill up anyways so $40 will get me through another two weeks or so.

@FinderKeeper The irony regarding Krispy Kreme and Super Slim, lol.

Smaller size, 5 games, more space, less expensive and less power consumption with the super slim >>>> slim. The BF model was a great deal and I don't think not liking the new disc design trumps all the benefits it came with

My Dec 2008 80GB (now 500GB) has been freezing every few hours lately so I'm thinking of getting a replacement but I really don't like that sliding door on the "superslim" so will try to get a "slim".

Now I'm wondering what moniker my old system goes by. I know it's the original size, so it's not a "slim", it's the first PS3 model with a Dualshock, and it only has 2 USB ports and no memory card readers or BC whatsoever. So, "phat rumble gimped PS3"? "3rd gen phat"? Just wondering what is is I'm replacing.

[quote name='rjejr']My Dec 2008 80GB (now 500GB) has been freezing every few hours lately so I'm thinking of getting a replacement but I really don't like that sliding door on the "superslim" so will try to get a "slim".

Now I'm wondering what moniker my old system goes by. I know it's the original size, so it's not a "slim", it's the first PS3 model with a Dualshock, and it only has 2 USB ports and no memory card readers or BC whatsoever. So, "phat rumble gimped PS3"? "3rd gen phat"? Just wondering what is is I'm replacing.[/QUOTE]

I think that's like a 2nd generation one where they took out backwards compatibility and sd slots in favor for just 2 usb ports. They had the 40gb and 80gb varieties at the time, I bought a 40gb in 2008 which got the ylod about half a year ago. Most people just call it the fat PS3.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother fixing the fat if it broke. I did reballl fix on it and cost about $150 with shipping and handling and it's broken about 6 months after the repairs. I hardly used it except for the 30 hour burn in process and maybe a netflix movie or show a week so it's pretty disappointing to say the least. The repair did come with a 2 year warranty but you need to pay shipping each time it breaks to them so it's around $20-$30 on top so I'm up to about $180 into this dead system when I could have just bought a new one. Just let it go when it dies. :p

bread's done
Back